Tuesday, September 30th, 2014

- It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

kevinknr
 Post subject: Retaining Walls
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Hi all. Anyone ever had to build a retaining wall? How much did it cost you?

I ask because I may have to build a retaining wall for my house (60ft wide). It's on a sloping hill.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ted_v2
 Post subject: Re: Retaining Walls
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

I have too do one myself. Estimates for material cost less than the material by quite a bit.

Jet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:27 pm 
Sweet on this forum

Saw my fren did one for her house it cost her $27, 000.00 16 inch concrete block some long steel an dey sending concrete In between the block holes. Plenty work plenty money

sramnarase
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:13 pm 
Ricer

I also have to build one 62ft across. I hope that through this thread we all get the perfect price from the perfect person/company.

Trini Hookah
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:57 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Ted_v2 wrote:
I have too do one myself. Estimates for material cost less than the material by quite a bit.

What???

gt4tified
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:06 pm 
punchin NOS

My cousin is a contractor and he has done quite a bit of retaining walls. From what I've seen, you don't want any and any contractor building this. If not done to proper specification, it could be disastrous. A good retaining wall is an investment because, put simply, it is there to save your property...and yes, they do cost a bit of money.

From listening to him if I had to construct one, its not something I would want to cut corners on...so be careful about people peddling to be "cheaper than the rest". Jet summed it up well...plenty work, plenty money. lol

Ted_v2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:27 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Trini Hookah wrote:
Ted_v2 wrote:

What???

now saw what i posted, sleepy as forq.

what i ment to say was the the estimate for the material cost less than the labour.

labour was basically 45k vs 30k for material.

some ideas i was thinking off is using a set of boulders in cages, and making platforms like steps.

another is meshing the bricks, with 5/8rods and a platform and filling the blocks go up.
two rows across and one across

a next brilliant idea is getting some logs and using them, stacking them like
o||
o||
o||

if its really a big structure rent a cement mixer vs using guys to mix it, more consistent

also saw a few tyre walls already seem to work.

bottom line get someone who know what they doing and qualified.

matix
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:47 pm 
Street 2NR

Yes the labor costs more than the materials. A retaining wall done properly must be auger piled, lots of steel work and cages, those concrete trucks are a big help but not everyone can afford it. And location determines if it can be used. Most importantly you need some hard working fellas to do that type of work. I recently did a retaining wall at my home including drainage to prevent further mishaps. So if you're interested in getting a quotation and advice you can pm me.

Rory Phoulorie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:06 am 
punchin NOS

1) Where is the site located?
2) What is the height of material to be retained?
3) Is the land behind the retaining wall sloping or flat? If it is sloping, what is the slope?
4) Is the land in front the retaining wall sloping or flat?
5) Is the land behind the retaining wall unused? Is there a road or other structure that will apply a surcharge load to the retaining wall?

Answer those questions first. Then you will know what type of retaining wall can be used for your situation. Then you can get cost estimates. There are too many uncertainties in the information provided by the OP.

Kindest Regards,

Rory Phoulorie, R.Eng.

pugboy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:48 pm 
punchin NOS

easy man, use the big concrete blocks with steel rods vertically and pour concrete in holes
put some pvc here and there to drain the water
you can see how they constructed one by country club

Norton12005
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:55 pm 
Trinituner Peong

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
1) Where is the site located?
2) What is the height of material to be retained?
3) Is the land behind the retaining wall sloping or flat? If it is sloping, what is the slope?
4) Is the land in front the retaining wall sloping or flat?
5) Is the land behind the retaining wall unused? Is there a road or other structure that will apply a surcharge load to the retaining wall?

Answer those questions first. Then you will know what type of retaining wall can be used for your situation. Then you can get cost estimates. There are too many uncertainties in the information provided by the OP.

Kindest Regards,

Rory Phoulorie, R.Eng.

So only Rory have it right!

The retaining wall can be cheap or expensive based on the concept used. It can only be determined by the factor Rory outline. To add a few more considerations:

1- What type of soil?
2- Can the land just get bench and trees planted?
3- Is it close for the roadway, river, ocean, neighbour, etc
4- It it before or after Caroni?
5- The type of drainage to be used
6- Should the wall be "cant" or "batter", sloping back a bit
7- Auger to be considered

Pm me for site visit!

kevinknr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Thanks all. Appreciated.

Will PM you, Rory.