Forums

Dangerous Dogs Act - Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Re: Dangerous Dogs Act goes into effect August 1, 2012

Postby tr1ad » April 24th, 2012, 7:42 pm

so there's a 1hr special on gayelle @ 8pm tonight, discussing the flaws in this bill

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » April 24th, 2012, 9:02 pm

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Dangerous Dogs Act goes into effect August 1, 2012

Postby src1983 » May 10th, 2012, 8:29 am

Since pitbulls are always in the bad light

Dog saves owner from train
May 9, 2012 8:31 a.m.

A pit bull that was hit by a freight train in Boston is being credited for saving its owners life.

The dog's owner was walking home when she collapsed on the train tracks.

Police said her 8-year-old dog pulled her from the tracks to safety as the train approached.

Unfortunately, the dog went back onto the tracks and was struck by the speeding train.

However, the dog is now recovering after her paw needed to be amputated and her pelvis was broken.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

http://www.wfsb.com/?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

DrunkenMaster16

Postby DrunkenMaster16 » May 13th, 2012, 7:57 am

Chaguanas mayor: ‘No’ to Dangerous Dogs Act
By STACY MOORE Thursday, May 10 2012

Chaguanas Mayor Orlando Nagessar...
CHAIRMAN of the Trinidad and Tobago Association of Local Government, Chaguanas Mayor Orlando Nagessar, said the local government body was not prepared to take on the responsibilities related to the Dangerous Dogs Act.

While the mayor stated that he was not in opposition to the act, he said he was appalled when the Act was presented to him yesterday based on the responsibilities placed on Local Government.

The Mayor was speaking to reporters after a two-hour emergency meeting hosted at the Chaguanas Borough Corporation yesterday. Attending the meeting were six other representatives, including; the Arima Mayor, Chairman of the Couva/ Tabaquite/ Talparo Regional Corporation, Diego Martin and Princes Town. An attorney at law represented the City of San Fernando.

“Today I was appalled when the Act was presented to us by two attorneys, and the sort of implications that it has on local government .........”Nagessar said.

The mayor described the tasks being designated to the local government body as “very onerous.” He said a document was being prepared by members of the association for presentation to Local Government Minister, Chandresh Sharma. “We feel a new system will have to be set up at the local government level ,with new staffing surgeons, who would look after the impounded dogs ... Who will look after these dogs?..” He questioned.

The Mayor said the Act must be looked at more seriously. “They are asking too much of local government as regards to the Act, and as chairman we should have been consulted on the implications of the Act.

Nagessar said currently the corporation has difficulty in maintaining the infrastructure under its purview. “You have to build kennels and feed these dogs. Who will feed these dogs? People have to be trained........” Nagessar said.

In the present situation we cannot handle it......” Nagessar assured.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/politics/0,159848.html

No one can tell me my dog is dangerous, they cannot tell me its a pitt, bully, anything. Prove to me my dog is a pittbull. He is a purebred pothound, with a red nose and green eyes :mrgreen: I will spend money to ensure he is properly secured, I will also put up signs on access points into my yard stating that there is a dog present and enter with caution. But I will also state be more afraid of the owner.

The law is pathetic, the thought that the government can enforce this law is hilarious. Talk to me when they can catch criminals, murderer's, child molesters, rapist's, hell when can they actually get evidence on Calder Hart?.. Yet they want to attempt to enforce a law that mostly affects good dog owners who love their pets...

This whole BSL is a joke. :fist:

crash dummy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crash dummy » May 14th, 2012, 9:01 am

DM You have to prove to them that your dog is NOT a pitbull, not the other way around.
I honestly dont see this bill being implemented in its current form based on the static its receiving from all sides.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 15th, 2012, 7:06 pm

While we putting proper legislation for owners stuff...

Still ban those dogs!

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Pregnant woman mauled by 3 pit bulls and 3 pothounds today

Rooki3
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rooki3 » May 15th, 2012, 7:14 pm

^^oh fcuk

Pantos
Street 2NR

Postby Pantos » May 15th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I will support this new law. Not because of the animals though, but because of the blatant disregard for the securing of the animals by their owners. Animals are never to blame. Careless, irresponsible owners are always to blame, but as the saying goes, Paul will pay for all, because even though you make an example of a careless owner, the carelessness will never stop as the trini mentality is "it will never happen to me"

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 7:23 pm

definitely not good for the anti legislation supporters

sounds like these dogs were tied....no kennel.....broke their chains and attacked her on the street

owners of these dogs should have to apply for a special license to own such dogs after their property is inspected for proper housing, fencing with secure gates....and even certificate of character.

an authority with inspectors should be established and make owners and inspectors accountable...inspections every year.

but something definitely has to be done for these people who cud barely afford food having dogs like this chained whole day without fencing, kennels and gates
Last edited by UML on May 15th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlener
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby marlener » May 15th, 2012, 7:24 pm

I see three dogs there,two looking like pothound and one looking like he mixed with pit.Sensationalising the story.I am sorry for the person involved though.I know since I got my pit,there were no more robberies at my home and no more family member were murdered there,as happened before I got one.

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 7:29 pm

marlener wrote:I see three dogs there,two looking like pothound and one looking like he mixed with pit.Sensationalising the story.I am sorry for the person involved though.I know since I got my pit,there were no more robberies at my home and no more family member were murdered there,as happened before I got one.

what about another type of dog? would it make a difference?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 15th, 2012, 7:35 pm

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » May 15th, 2012, 7:35 pm

UML wrote:definitely not good for the anti legislation supporters

sounds like these dogs were tied....no kennel.....broke their chains and attacked her on the street

owners of these dogs should have to apply for a special license to own such dogs after their property is inspected for proper housing, fencing with secure gates....and even certificate of character.

an authority with inspectors should be established and make owners and inspectors accountable...inspections every year.

but something definitely has to be done for these people who cud barely afford food having dogs like this chained whole day without fencing, kennels and gates

UML wrote:
marlener wrote:I see three dogs there,two looking like pothound and one looking like he mixed with pit.Sensationalising the story.I am sorry for the person involved though.I know since I got my pit,there were no more robberies at my home and no more family member were murdered there,as happened before I got one.

UML making sense :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 7:37 pm

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
UML wrote:definitely not good for the anti legislation supporters

UML wrote:

UML making sense :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

i think is the purge ah take :lol: :lol:

marlener
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby marlener » May 15th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Maybe they tried with the ridgeback that I had often throwing stuff over the fence for her to eat. and got through with the rott once,Everyone crosses the road at the sight of the pit,One robbery and the murder occurred the week between dogs after one was poisoned. My pit eats from two persons ONLY and a certain colour bowl.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 15th, 2012, 7:50 pm

very bad PR
little damage control can be done about that

the dog people need to take front and start their own
federation and have owners start registering and agreeing to muzzles, leashes etc
action is the only way they can lobby that's the only way they can lobby
talk and complaining is futile with this bad PR

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » May 15th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Again the dogs will have to pay for the Stupidity of the owners, I hope they lock up the owner for negligence!
Pitbulls need special care and attention , all of them need Obedience training. How you expect to have a dog tied whole day and your gate is open. Pure stupidity of the owner and lack of knowlege of how to take care of dogs.

Rx
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Rx » May 15th, 2012, 8:10 pm

The pit bull is typically a people loving, intelligent and fun breed. Many excel at obedience training and dog sports such as agility, weight pull, frisbee games. Due to their affinity with people, this breed is a good candidate for rescue and adoption, but potential homes need to be carefully screened to insure that the new owners understand and accept the responsibility of owning a pit bull. Media hysteria and bad owners have greatly damaged this breed and every incident involving a pit bull makes it worse for the entire breed and their owners, often prompting breed specific legislation or breed bans.

Potential owners need to be informed of the pit bull's correct temperament, and need to be prepared to deal with the issue of dog aggression. Most pit bulls have a high prey drive and may chase small animals or livestock. This is NOT a breed for everyone! The only way to repair the pit bull's bad reputation is to keep them in the hands of responsible owners.

I love my Pitbull

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 8:23 pm

with the dog authority and inspectors....employment will be created. the inspectors will be held accountable so they dont take bribes.....inspection every year to ensure that fencing, housing and gates are still in good condition. with different inspector visit each year with the information stored on a database which will be created. if a dog attacks someone...an investigation by inspectors and necessary action taken....depending on severity...fine or loss of dog permit....removal of dog or putting it to sleep. if the owner whose dog attacks someone relocates their information will be on the database so they still cant get a dog permit. need the necessary check and balances to avoid tampering with system as well. dogs micro chipped as a requirement so dog owner is known.

together with the certificate of character there should be an age requirement for application for the dog permit.....i wud even go as far as have some kinda financial or job requirement....i know it extreme but if ah man cah afford to fix he property or take care of a dog like this they shud not have such a dog.

dem kinda ting they have to do....but it will take an effort and cost to set up...this issue has to be taken seriously and professionally....and as we can see....many owners are not responsible and professional about owning such a dog.

joel
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joel » May 15th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Before I got my pit I was paranoid about them. Did my research, learned about behaviors you have to exhibit with the breed to keep it under control and got one. My dog listens to me, my yard is fenced etc. we the dog lovers are not against proper legislation, we only have a problem with it being breed specific and the neutering and spaying.

Re the woman that was Allegedly attacked by pitbulls today, tv 6 ran a report saying it was pitbulls, then later in the report had the owner of dem pot hound looking dogs saying she has her dogs tied all the time and it cannot be her dogs. even self, you can see she is an irresponsible owner. Yard open, dogs always chain up. Madness!

UML

Postby UML » May 15th, 2012, 9:15 pm

marlener wrote:Maybe they tried with the ridgeback that I had often throwing stuff over the fence for her to eat. and got through with the rott once,Everyone crosses the road at the sight of the pit,One robbery and the murder occurred the week between dogs after one was poisoned. My pit eats from two persons ONLY and a certain colour bowl.

btw any doh can be trained to do that..get another dog :|

but honestly i think pitbulls should be only owned by the rich!!!

same way some have range rovers, benz, bmw, FUL, swimming pools, etc. and some do not....well a pit bull is a do not!!! you just have to accept it...as u have accepted the other things u dont have.

i wont be owning a pitbull :|

if u use the companion excuse....get a pothound.....or even a parrot or wife....whichever talks less!!

yea cause i cant remember hearing pit bull mauling in westmooring, valpark, lange park etc.....only place like la romaine, belmont, enterprise, etc.

cause d ppl rich cud afford a wall, gate and kennel..das why yuh doh hear bout attacks in these areas....they responsible and dont have an open yard with a dog tied its entire life on a chain.

btw poor ppl doh need such a dog anyway....cause who d ass going to rob your scrunting ass anyway....u cant build a wall....so wah dey comgin tuh rob ur ass for?!! yuh eh find the 10 children ur unemployed ass minding is enough responsibility and sufferation?!!

the dog owners complaining baout paying $500 for the insurance....wtf $500 ah facking year?!!! you really dont like ur dog!!!

then they complain that they have 10 dogs to insure.....who the fack tell u own 10 pitbulls anyway....if is a business u cud afford to pay the money...........if u cud afford to own 10 pitbulls and buy food and pay for vet then dont complain for having to pay the insurance cause u u cud afford it....or else u really dong like ur dogs....ent u pay insurance for ur house and car....well pay insurance for ur dog!!!

so rich ppl own pit bulls..plain and simple!!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 15th, 2012, 10:13 pm

where did this figure of insurance costing $500 come about ?

I doubt any insurance company is going to give any and everybody public liability insurance costing only $500 knowing they could be taken for wrong death, grievous assault and all kind of thing

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » May 16th, 2012, 12:13 am

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/MAU ... 49195.html

MAULED
Dogs attack pregnant woman, undergoes surgery to save arm

By Susan Mohammed susan.mohammed@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: May 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM ECT
Story Updated: May 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM ECT
A PREGNANT woman underwent emergency surgery yesterday to save her arm after she was mauled by three dogs.
Two of the dogs are mixed with the pitbull breed.
Kurleen Cooper, 36, who is five months pregnant, yesterday complained she was not feeling any movement in her womb after she was attacked by the dogs at Pt Fortin.
The dogs tore the flesh off her left arm and bit her on the head, hands, inner leg, left ear and stomach.
Cooper's family said they were told by doctors last night the surgery would attempt to reconstruct the damaged arm or amputate it.
Cooper is the mother of three other children, aged six, seven and 17.
She was walking along South Central Road, Pt Fortin shortly after 8 a.m. after dropping her children to school and was heading back home.
She was passing a house owned by businessman Ronnie Maharaj when one of the dogs ran out from the property and charged at her.
Maharaj buys and sells fish and was said to have acquired the dogs after he was robbed a number of times.
The two other dogs, which are mixed with the pitbull breed, followed and leapt on Cooper and knocked her down.
The dogs bit Cooper about her body, and the pregnant woman fought back, she told relatives.
Cooper's sister, Kurlet Cooper Julien, said: "She told me that she was fighting back. She told me when she got the bites, she actually bit one of the dogs. She was kicking the dogs. Because she was kicking, they bit the inner part of her legs."
Police were told that the dogs were "called off" by one of Maharaj's employees.
Cooper was rescued from the roadside by a passerby and residents from the area, who contacted the police and the Emergency Medical Services.
She was rushed to the Point Fortin Area Hospital for treatment, where her wounds were bandaged and she was given a tetanus shot.
She was later transferred to the San Fernando General Hospital and her condition was listed as "serious".
"She told doctors that she is not feeling the baby. They checked and there was movement, but when she came to the hospital, she said she felt something was wrong with the baby. The family is traumatised. I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy," said Julien.
The dogs were loose in the yard, and there is no gate installed to the front of the house, according to an employee of Maharaj who was at the Point Fortin Police Station assisting investigations yesterday.
However, June Garib, Maharaj's wife, said when she left for work at 5 a.m., the three dogs, along with three others they own, were chained at the back of the house.
"When I came home I saw the dogs tied. I asked if anyone let go the dogs and they said 'no'. I don't know if it's my dogs that bit the lady."

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » May 16th, 2012, 12:14 am

what u all say bout this one now..???...

firstly no gate....

secondly the owner not sure if it was her dogs that attacked the lady....

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » May 16th, 2012, 1:35 am

UML wrote:
marlener wrote:Maybe they tried with the ridgeback that I had often throwing stuff over the fence for her to eat. and got through with the rott once,Everyone crosses the road at the sight of the pit,One robbery and the murder occurred the week between dogs after one was poisoned. My pit eats from two persons ONLY and a certain colour bowl.

btw any doh can be trained to do that..get another dog :|

but honestly i think pitbulls should be only owned by the rich!!!

same way some have range rovers, benz, bmw, FUL, swimming pools, etc. and some do not....well a pit bull is a do not!!! you just have to accept it...as u have accepted the other things u dont have.

i wont be owning a pitbull :|

if u use the companion excuse....get a pothound.....or even a parrot or wife....whichever talks less!!

yea cause i cant remember hearing pit bull mauling in westmooring, valpark, lange park etc.....only place like la romaine, belmont, enterprise, etc.

cause d ppl rich cud afford a wall, gate and kennel..das why yuh doh hear bout attacks in these areas....they responsible and dont have an open yard with a dog tied its entire life on a chain.

btw poor ppl doh need such a dog anyway....cause who d ass going to rob your scrunting ass anyway....u cant build a wall....so wah dey comgin tuh rob ur ass for?!! yuh eh find the 10 children ur unemployed ass minding is enough responsibility and sufferation?!!

the dog owners complaining baout paying $500 for the insurance....wtf $500 ah facking year?!!! you really dont like ur dog!!!

then they complain that they have 10 dogs to insure.....who the fack tell u own 10 pitbulls anyway....if is a business u cud afford to pay the money...........if u cud afford to own 10 pitbulls and buy food and pay for vet then dont complain for having to pay the insurance cause u u cud afford it....or else u really dong like ur dogs....ent u pay insurance for ur house and car....well pay insurance for ur dog!!!

so rich ppl own pit bulls..plain and simple!!

lol uml is making sense although in a crude way of doing it.

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » May 16th, 2012, 1:38 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:what u all say bout this one now..???...

firstly no gate....

she is the kind of owner that i think we all agree needs to be punished and legislation is needed to prevent people like her owning ANY dog.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » May 16th, 2012, 1:39 am

jm3 wrote:

firstly no gate....

she is the kind of owner that i think we all agree needs to be punished and legislation is needed to prevent people like her owning ANY dog.

AGREED...

UML

Postby UML » May 16th, 2012, 5:52 am

see wah ah mean......la romaine, belmont, enterprise, PT FORTIN!!!

no westmoorings, valpark, lange park, etc.

:|

firstly no gate....

microchipped dogs will be identified

mediahouse
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby mediahouse » May 16th, 2012, 7:00 am

ban them dam dogs

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”