Forums

Dangerous Dogs Act - Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Re: Dangerous Dogs Act goes into effect August 1, 2012

Postby Halfbreed07 » April 19th, 2012, 6:37 am

only dog to ever attack me was a pot hound, I have been around so called "dangerous dogs" for the past few years and they are the most trained and mannerly. Any untrained dog can attack you and possibly kill you. I dont see Rots, dobies, sheppards, mastiffs on this focus list, I do however see two other breeds that may have never existed in the country.
Let good sense prevail, TTSPCA has no place for these dogs, all these dogs gonna be let go on the streets and cross breed with pot hounds. What next ban pot hounds.

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » April 19th, 2012, 9:07 am

2:07 onward.......

.....We have these dumb trainers in trini......For education sake, some here should go and see what really happens.....

1. They tell you need to pay 3,000 and they'll keep the dog for two weeks...(5 month old pup eh)

2. They beat the dog on their balls

3. They hype d dog and then put a high smelling gunta in a sponge wrap........and bawl BAD MAN.......BAD MAN........

NO OBEDIENCE AND SUBMISSION TRAINING......JUST ATTACK TO AND KILL......

Not to mention they come to your local area....find some empty land and before yuh know it....a million dogs pull up in van trays.....After that is just "BAD MAN BAD MAN BAD MAN BAD MAN BAD MAN BAD MAN"........AND nothing about "NO!! STAY!!"

.........So....Where should the measures and laws be passed now?..............
Last edited by slimshiney on April 19th, 2012, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

Clico / Colfire homeowners insurance.... Act like you don't know what the deal is...

in my view it is blatant extortion by the government to the people of Trinidad and Tobago...

Pitbulls already covered under homeowner insurance
By Julien Neaves

Story Created: Apr 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM ECT

Story Updated: Apr 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM ECT

THERE is currently an insurance policy that can cover your dog under the Dangerous Dogs Act, but it will not be for each of your dogs.

This is according to manager of underwriting and reinsurance at Colonial Fire and General Insurance Company (Colfire), Sean Jack.

The Act, which will be proclaimed on August 1 after a 12-year delay, states that the owner of every dangerous dog must have insurance in the sum of at least $250,000 for each dog. It defines "dangerous dog" as a pitbull terrier or any dog bred from a pitbull terrier, the Fila Brasileiro and the Japanese Tosa or any dogs bred from these breeds. The latter two are very rare in country.

Jack, speaking to the Express yesterday in a telephone interview, explained that when someone has a homeowner's insurance policy there is a section for public liability. He noted that at Colfire this policy does not initially provide liability for dangerous dogs but the client has to inform the company that they have one and they want the policy extended to provide protection in the event that it attacks someone. He added that a few questions will be asked, such as whether their property is fenced.

Jack further explained that normally under the homeowner's policy the public liability section provides indemnity (security against damage or loss) to the insured in the event that a member of the public is injured or dies as a result of the property or negligence.

He said $250,000, the figure in the Act, is the standard liability under the homeowner's policy. He stressed, however, that it was not the dog that was being insured but the house with a public liability, third party section for the dog.

He said if someone is attacked by the dog and takes legal action the policy will respond to a maximum $250,000, though the client can ask for a higher limit at an additional charge.

While the Act states that each dog must be insured for that amount, Jack said the number of dogs did not matter. He explained that, for example, if you have ten dogs you will not be insured up to $2,500,000 as there will be a single coverage under the homeowner's policy.

dread_2002
Sweet on this forum

Postby dread_2002 » April 19th, 2012, 9:11 am

So basically the government saying.. They dont want people to defend themselves at all
basic self defense stuff such as pepper spray, tasers are illegal..
now u cant have a guard dog..
in a country ravaged by crime and the worst police force imaginable..
We have dogs to protect our homes, ourselves and our families.
Pitbulls solved this need

Question: Would this legislation impact the owners of Rots, Doberman's, mastiffs, Shepards, Akita's?
Or is it specially dedicated to the three dogs initially outlined?

I think the issue is not the dogs and with the owner.

Most insurance homeowners policy's dont exclude having guard dogs. therefore in event of a claim such as your dog biting someone. u are technically covered. check your policy!

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » April 19th, 2012, 9:22 am

the TTSPCA, is already reporting owners are dropping off dogs covered under the Act

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » April 19th, 2012, 9:29 am

Doh fret......The full shot coming......when TTSPCA start turning them down.........WATCH OUT IN THE STREETS....ALLEGEDLY,THERE IS ONE ROAMING BETWEEN FOOD GIANT AND TOYOTA!!

THE AIR HEADS WOULD REALIZE THAT HUMAN LIFE VALUE MORE.....WHEN THE MAULINGS START!!UNFATHOMABLE..........REALLY IS............
Last edited by slimshiney on April 19th, 2012, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 9:29 am

how many persons have home owners insurance...really.. realistically??

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » April 19th, 2012, 9:31 am

i was told that to insure my pit for 250,000 under my current home owners insurance was $250 a year or there about. someone in the insurance industry can probably confirm this.

anyway join the cause fellas: https://www.facebook.com/TrinisAgainstBSL

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » April 19th, 2012, 9:32 am

eh heh? gonna go look for it and give it a good home

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » April 19th, 2012, 9:33 am

a Collar and a CHAIN does NOT count as a SEcure Place to keep a dog, too many people are too damn Cheap or LAZY to Spend the money and time to secure their pets.

I Certainly HOPE that all of these dog owners who are protesting that they are allowed to keep their dogs will bring them out at their protest, imagine if one of these TAME lovable creatures was to get away from their owner and BITE or kill some other INNOCENT pet owner- Oh the irony.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 9:34 am

this stupid act just made the streets more dangerous..now its gonna have a massive dog dumping....but where was the consultation with the people? i have not heard of any dialogue between the "Ministry of the People" i believe and the people of Trinidad and Tobago... was a survey done? what are the rate of dog attacks compared to the other Caribbean islands .. being breed specific... i really have a problem with this so called law.. this PP coalition government is a load of crap...

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » April 19th, 2012, 9:35 am

slimshiney wrote:Doh fret......The full shot coming......when TTSPCA start turning them down.........WATCH OUT IN THE STREETS....ALREADY,THERE IS ONE ROAMING BETWEEN FOOD GIANT AND TOYOTA!!

the TTSPCA is already complaining there is no more room, few adoptions (I expect none of pits etc) so lots will be put to sleep, I expect these breeds will be phased out within 5 years

on a side note, my neighborhood now has a stray pit and rott, both seem to have had owners (collars, cut ears/tail) the rott looks horribly emaciated like he hasn't eaten in weeks *sigh*

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 19th, 2012, 9:36 am

nemisis wrote:i haven't seen anywhere in the bill that said you have to kill your dog, it just said you need to have it registered, spayed or neutered and insured. What exactly is the problem?

oh, well once they nuh killing any poodles I cool. I still find we can shoot a few owners for mistreating the poodles though, anytime something happens is the death of the animal the public calls for, not the owners. I say kill the owners so it does not happen again.

why does that paragraph I just typed look like something pioneer might write?

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » April 19th, 2012, 9:40 am

RIPEBREDFRUIT wrote:a Collar and a CHAIN does NOT count as a SEcure Place to keep a dog, too many people are too damn Cheap or LAZY to Spend the money and time to secure their pets.

I Certainly HOPE that all of these dog owners who are protesting that they are allowed to keep their dogs will bring them out at their protest, imagine if one of these TAME lovable creatures was to get away from their owner and BITE or kill some other INNOCENT pet owner- Oh the irony.

relax your batty, there are many many many dog shows for these "Dangerous Dogs" and lots and lots of kids and people present and never been any serious incident. you may have a couple dogs that snap at eachother, but no one has ever been mauled or killed..

One of my best friends owns a dog that wins allot of trophies etc and he makes it a family event, takes his 2 small kids and they have a great time.

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » April 19th, 2012, 9:41 am

:( .........even in here people don't get the point......THAT THIS ACT WILL ONLY CAUSE MORE MAULINGS.......

YOU HAVE DOGS THAT WILL BE DEHYDRATED,UNFED&STARVING which = to possible agression.... THAT WILL BE WALKING THE STREETS............every gunta and harry have pitbull..............
Last edited by slimshiney on April 19th, 2012, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 9:43 am

In my view... our freedoms are being stripped away one by one.... and to protect one's home is a right.. i

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 9:46 am

slimshiney wrote::( .........even in here people don't get the point......THAT THIS ACT WILL ONLY CAUSE MORE MAULINGS.......

YOU HAVE DOGS THAT WILL BE UNFED AND STARVING & THAT WILL BE WALKING THE STREETS............every gunta and harry have pitbull..............

agreed..... they just created a loaded gun and placed it in the streets

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 19th, 2012, 9:50 am

RIPEBREDFRUIT wrote:a Collar and a CHAIN does NOT count as a SEcure Place to keep a dog, too many people are too damn Cheap or LAZY to Spend the money and time to secure their pets.

Collar and chain? Some eh so lucky, they get a kennel looking like a chicken coop and if they real lucky its under a tree where they get shade for a portion of the day.
The animals dont get walk and some dont even get a bowl of water and they in a kennel or tied to a post in the hot sun. Tell me if thats any way to treat an animal?
The only walk some get is when the owner comes with the choker to take the dogs out for a walk on evenings to coast 'ah have ah pitbull'.
Some owners real beat the dogs too eh.

In a way the animals better off being put to sleep but its sad that they have to die and the kantholes that responsible for it still at large.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » April 19th, 2012, 9:50 am

feel sorry for the dogs who got abandoned.....speaks of the lack of regard those owners have for pets.....

if its anything....the act will weed out the pretenders from the true dog lovers who respect the bigger breeds and are able to care and train them properly....

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » April 19th, 2012, 9:58 am

^^^^ Your're right....but....at the risk of other people's lives? This is a problem way bigger than we're thinking......it's a sad time for the dogs...but even sadder for humans who's now at more risk than when the owners had them on a lil leash......
Last edited by slimshiney on April 19th, 2012, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » April 19th, 2012, 9:59 am

What was the view of the stake holders in 2000 when it mattered most?

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 10:01 am

they made a no win situation if you really think about it!

dread_2002
Sweet on this forum

Postby dread_2002 » April 19th, 2012, 10:11 am

rel people have homeonwers insurance.
because in order to get a mortgage for a house u have to house insurance as well as have life insurance

kaylex
Riding on 16's

Postby kaylex » April 19th, 2012, 10:16 am

Re: post of Flier for Sundays meet.

I posted same on my fb. couple of important people notice.. and they want the contact details of the persons organising same. Willing to rent tents and loud speakers etc.

Need this to be as organised as possible if we are to make any sort of statement to the legislative arms of the state.

Serious business

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 19th, 2012, 10:30 am

about 2-3 weeks ago I pass by devil woodyard and stop in cuz I had a aunt from abroad wanted to see it

there were alot of people training their pitbulls there, something like 20-25 pitbulls and their owners

aunt didn't want to come out the vehicle when she see that, one of the trainers come over to us, tell us its okay, that the dogs well trained and they wont attack anyone unless commanded too

so we come out..went by d volcano...come back....they actually resumed training while we were there, dog and trainer standing on one end of savannah, gunta with his foam/sponge hand on the next end....dog going STRAIGHT to that gunta and not even veering off

none of the other 20-25 pitbulls fighting with each other..misbehaving..fighting...anything

2-3 of the trainers even tell us we could play with the dogs if we want

it all comes down to training

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 10:32 am

all these frivolous issues the gov't of T&T to me are just smoke screens, distractions... slight of hand... misdirections to what is really happening within the the party and the the country on a whole... and some of us are just too dumb to realize it.. and when it too late we will go to our respected bars take a shot of puncheon and say wheyy...boi... tell me what have this gov't done so far?? really..?

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » April 19th, 2012, 11:05 am

I have home owners insurance, it says nothing of an incident that happens outside of my premises.

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » April 19th, 2012, 11:22 am

it ALL boils down to RESPONSIBILITY of the OWNERS.

If someone is not Financially Capable of owning a dog then they should not be allowed BY LAW to have one or face Charges.

All the bickering about -omg how much it costing to Own one of these dogs now, if YOU truly LOve and care about your animal then SHUT yuh damn mouth, pay what youre supposed to, provide a SECURE and safe home for it and you should be alright.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 19th, 2012, 11:27 am

RIPEBREDFRUIT wrote:it ALL boils down to RESPONSIBILITY of the OWNERS.

If someone is not Financially Capable of owning a dog then they should not be allowed BY LAW to have one or face Charges.

All the bickering about -omg how much it costing to Own one of these dogs now, if YOU truly LOve and care about your animal then SHUT yuh damn mouth, pay what youre supposed to, provide a SECURE and safe home for it and you should be alright.

we all know u can't see past ur own nose... smh..

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » April 19th, 2012, 11:32 am

so because i love i should accept any rules and regulations no matter how ridiculous they are including possible exorbitant fees that may possibly be too much for some households?
typical trini small mindedness, sit down and take everything,
is you self will cry should the price of gas goes up, or the price to insure your car goes up.
if you like to sit down and let the government dig out your eye then thats you, the rest of us with a brain will try to fight against injustice.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”