Wikipedia Banner Ads

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Wikipedia Banner Ads

Postby stev » May 15th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Wikipedia: If you see banner ads on our site, then you might have a virus

Apparently some folks who were visiting Wikipedia saw some annoying banner ads. Not the requests for donations from its founder Jimmy Wales, mind you, but real banner ads promoting things to buy from third-party sites.

Today, the company has stepped out to make its users aware that not only will Wikipedia never run ads, but if you do see ads, then your computer might be infected with some sort of malware. Here’s what the team had to say today about it:

"We never run ads on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is funded by more than a million donors, who give an average donation of less than 30 dollars. We run fundraising appeals, usually at the end of the year. If you’re seeing advertisements for a for-profit industry (see screenshot below for an example) or anything but our fundraiser, then your web browser has likely been infected with malware."

Wikipedia also added some instructions on how to remove malware or wayward extensions from your browser and suggested that this could also be something that an Internet cafe or free internet provider is injecting into your web experience.

"Have no fear, Wikipedia will be remaining ad-free, thanks to the donations of its users;

But rest assured: you won’t be seeing legitimate advertisements on Wikipedia.

We’re here to distribute the sum of human knowledge to everyone on the planet — ad-free, forever."

There are a lot of other popular websites that do not run ads. make sure your machine is protected.

edit: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/05/1 ... e-a-virus/

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Wikipedia Banner Ads

Postby maj. tom » May 15th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Ad Block plus free with several subscriptions, never see ads. Ever.

If your browser is redirecting then you have other problems with malware or your host file or a rogue addon/extension.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 15th, 2012, 12:50 pm

i find that ad block slows down the loading of web pages significantly. :( not by much for an average user to notice but i rel picky.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 15th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Not on firefox on any pc or tablet I've used, but it does slow down chrome. Chrome is just really a barebones browser, if you start adding things, it gets slower or more unstable.

Mark!
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Mark! » May 15th, 2012, 12:57 pm

meh....

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 15th, 2012, 12:58 pm

^^^well said. it does slow down chrome. significantly!!! but i noticed that some web pages in firefox with a lot of ads tend to load rather funny when ad block is running.

Trini Hookah
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Trini Hookah » May 15th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Mark! wrote:meh....

Wha kinda middle name is that?? :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”