Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

- It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Forum rules

This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.

Jump to:  

towerdiesel
 Post subject: crack head on ranger wlt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 am 
Riding on 13's

i hv had to add coolant on every morning about a litre
how do i know if head/gasket has blown
hard start sometimes mostly when hot

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

dyna9275
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:23 pm 
Street 2NR

what area you from,could recommend someone to check it

kamakazi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:25 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Does removing the thermostat prevent the head from cracking in those engines?

pjfred
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 pm 
Street 2NR

Nope, it actually helps to destroy engine when removed.

kamakazi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Just asking. ..know someone with and he was asking me same question

towerdiesel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am 
Riding on 13's

I don't live in T&T. I live in st lucia

3stagevtec
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

towerdiesel wrote:
i hv had to add coolant on every morning about a litre
how do i know if head/gasket has blown
hard start sometimes mostly when hot

Once there is no visible leaks elsewhere, it's highly possible. Before starting in the morning, remove the 4 glow plugs and disable the fuel pump. Crank engine via starter for a second or two and look for signs of water shooting out through the glow plug holes.

I did that on a Ranger and had discovered coolant was leaking into the #4 cylinder. The van drove normal even with the cracked head..

Jon_One
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:25 am 
Sweet on this forum

just to share my experience .. My head cracked on my bt50 at 120,000kms a little more than 3yrs old .. 2.5 wlt .. ok got it repaired all was good .. thought it was just a fault .. because cooling system checked out ok ... 3 weeks later noticed water level going down .. maybe a 1/2 ltr to a litre .. thought it was just a leak .. Tuesday night radiator head burst .. upon further investigation after repairing radiator and noticing van still overheats . thermostat was shot .. when we did the test in a pot of hot water it didn't start opening until the water started boiling i.e 100 deg c + .. on the thermostat it says 82 deg c and well online says 80-95 deg c is normal operating temperature of any thermostat .. which means in the first place the thermostat was stuck closed . but in my terms I would say opens late .. because it is not exactly stuck . but the material on the spring maybe loses its temperature control property slightly.. so it all boils down to the thermostat . just that in the beginning the change was too small to detect .. so now I hate this thermostat .. By the time we detect that it is at fault it is already too late ... murphy gauge it is .. I took out the thermostat Tuesday temporarily .. temp is normal now .. but I have one big crack in my head again .. sucks .... maybe got abt 2500kms - 3000kms before early cracked head symptoms started again ...

Last edited by Jon_One on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon_One
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:28 am 
Sweet on this forum

at the first sign of overheating on any wlt . I would change the thermostat .... that mofo ...

what sort of problems would a bad clutch fan cause ? like how high would temperature climb ? just want to know ....

Jon_One
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09 pm 
Sweet on this forum

Van doing 126500kms now . so major damage took 6500 kms or so to really happen... with the bad tstat ..

speedaholic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 am 
Shifting into 6th

clutch fan needs to be stiff at all times... with the engine off.. try spinning it with your hand.. if it spins freely.. or it easy to spin.. it needs to be replaced/ repaired... as for the thermostat.... i have been running my L200 with out a thermostat for the past 4 years... and have neer had over heating issues.. as a matter or fact.. when cruising and not boosting... the temp stay Under the 1/2 mark all the time.. and only when i hit the hiways and start to press will it go up to half and stay there..

my buddy has a 08 ranger 2.5wlt... its @ about 105k on the clock... his clutch fan is really slack.. we installed a aftermarket water temp guage on it.. with normal driving the temps is consistant at around 180-190deg F... needle is on half mark at this point in dash... when @ full throttle on highway.. temps would go up to 220-230deg F and the guage would peak and start beeping.. its a Pro Sport Peak/warning guage.. and the needle on the dash is still at the half mark, and doesnt move even tho the temp increased by almost 40deg F... so.. my advice is.. install a water temp guage... remove the thermostat.. and also try Red line water wetter...! that sheit works wonders!