TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Ford Ranger

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Tech Thread - Ford Ranger

Postby civic minded » September 29th, 2011, 9:51 pm

thats the one thing that is key - Maintainance - once a diesel gets age - as with everything else - things start to go wrong.

Cooper
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby Cooper » September 29th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Hey DooMRR if possible, please take some pics of the old and new parts and post them up... I'd like to see how much damage took place.

Also, let us know if you get any vibration after changing the parts. A friend of mine mentioned that some of the replacement crosses can sometime cause balancing/vibration issues in the prop-shaft. But I doubt very much this will happen anyway.

slickonit
Street 2NR

Postby slickonit » September 29th, 2011, 10:21 pm

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2106-1
^^ is this the correct k&n drop in filter for the 2.5 tdci ranger? part number 33-2106-1

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » September 29th, 2011, 11:35 pm

cross links very easy to change... shudnt be a problem.. i never had any problem with mine tho... i grease them twice a year...

DooMRR
Sweet on this forum

Postby DooMRR » September 30th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Cooper wrote:Hey DooMRR if possible, please take some pics of the old and new parts and post them up... I'd like to see how much damage took place.

Also, let us know if you get any vibration after changing the parts. A friend of mine mentioned that some of the replacement crosses can sometime cause balancing/vibration issues in the prop-shaft. But I doubt very much this will happen anyway.

No problem. Sometime weekend I will try and change them. I bought two "GMB Universal Joint" today. It's made in Japan and not China, so it should be good quality. Will take pics and let you know how it working after the change.

nick009
Sweet on this forum

Postby nick009 » September 30th, 2011, 9:07 pm

well i greased my crosses today and i`m still hearing the noise when i come off the x with the clutch engaged in 3rd 2nd or 1st.Thing is i dont hear it going foward only when i come off the x and the engine i would say is braking the motion of the van. I really am not sure what it could be but it sounds almost like hard brake pads rubbing.Sort of like a metal rubbing noise. I am starting to think its my clutch but this one is hard to figure out. Any ideas

DooMRR
Sweet on this forum

Postby DooMRR » October 1st, 2011, 10:29 am

nick009 wrote:well i greased my crosses today and i`m still hearing the noise when i come off the x with the clutch engaged in 3rd 2nd or 1st.Thing is i dont hear it going foward only when i come off the x and the engine i would say is braking the motion of the van. I really am not sure what it could be but it sounds almost like hard brake pads rubbing.Sort of like a metal rubbing noise. I am starting to think its my clutch but this one is hard to figure out. Any ideas

Yea. That is the same thing happening to my van. Your cross(es) in your drive shaft are probably seized just like mine. Grease wouldn't help if that's the case (I tried that too). Go to your mechanic and let them check it for you. OR, you can check it yourself. It's only four nut and bolt to take out and the shaft comes off. I'm planning on changing mine sometime today.

nick009
Sweet on this forum

Postby nick009 » October 1st, 2011, 6:26 pm

well you are right. The guy i took it by yesterday to grease didnt even mention that the last cross was bad.........
Took it by one mechanic today who said it was the release bearing in the gearbox and wanted to charge me 4000 to change it . Took it by ford and off the bat the mechanic said it was the cross by the diff just by listening to me drive in , he was even nice enough to lift the van and grease all the joints and show me that last one was seized.
Thumbs up to the mc enearney mechanic guys.

They didnt have any in stock so i got the same gmb you bought for 130 by Jurawans and got it changed for 140 outside. No more noise finally and gear shifts actually feel tighter

DooMRR
Sweet on this forum

Postby DooMRR » October 5th, 2011, 2:01 pm

nick009 wrote:They didnt have any in stock so i got the same gmb you bought for 130 by Jurawans and got it changed for 140 outside. No more noise finally and gear shifts actually feel tighter

Buh wha de?! Ah get rob! I payed $295 for 1! And two places wanted to charge me almost $400 to change the two. I gonna take note of that place you bought yours. Can you give me a little more information where that is?

This was the condition of my cross:

Yea. It was well rusted. I didn't really know about greasing those things (still learning all there is to know about maintenance), so it took quite a beating.

These are the new ones I bought:

nick009
Sweet on this forum

Postby nick009 » October 5th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Jurawans is by four roads in diego martin, right next to the gas station.

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » October 5th, 2011, 11:52 pm

jurawans always has everything u need at the best prices!

Cooper
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby Cooper » October 8th, 2011, 8:10 pm

That joint literally dry out! Good work DooMRR.

That reminds me that I have to repack my grease gun.

rx30
Street 2NR

Postby rx30 » October 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Hey guys need some help here; I have a 2004 Ranger 4x2(Low one with 2.9 engine); problem is when i go over humps or any depressions in the road i hear a cracking noise. N.B. I have changed ball joints upper & lower; idle arm,1 cross which was bad & greased all joints@ the service station. Also the guys by the alignment shop says nothing is wrong,yet the noise continues!!! Any help will be appreciated!!!

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » October 11th, 2011, 10:19 pm

^^take it to the firm and have them do a thorough check there is maybe something your missing - and btw - the firm uses a lithium grease that is better than the ones they use in the service station.

rx30
Street 2NR

Postby rx30 » October 12th, 2011, 6:29 am

^^thanks civic minded,will check them out!!!

homeboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby homeboy » October 15th, 2011, 12:29 am

K Guys, i didn't want to create i new tread or ask in the tyre tread, for the guys with their experience in changing their rims and tyres from the regular 16" rims to bigger size what would you recommend.

I have to change my tyres as i bought a set that causing my van to vibrate at 80-100 km and before i end up spending more in the long run better to change. I am thinking about rim size to be 20" not bigger and the highest profile that can work on this to keep the ride ok........also i don't want the rim to be chrome.

It's the 2007 model Ranger, sweet machine i must say.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » October 15th, 2011, 7:16 am

The ranger can handle up to 20-inches, no problem, as long as u put the correct profile tyres to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible - then u can expect little problems with regards to your suspension.

But you wont be able to carry as much heavy loads, or drive the truck as roughly anymore - well, not unless you want early wear and tear on the suspension components - specifically your shocks. Less rubber on the sidewalls = less dampenig = shocks have to work harder.

rx30
Street 2NR

Postby rx30 » October 15th, 2011, 9:09 pm

[quote="rx30"]Hey guys need some help here; I have a 2004 Ranger 4x2(Low one with 2.9 engine); problem is when i go over humps or any depressions in the road i hear a cracking noise. N.B. I have changed ball joints upper & lower; idle arm,1 cross which was bad & greased all joints@ the service station. Also the guys by the alignment shop says nothing is wrong,yet the noise continues!!! Any help will be appreciated!!![/quote]

Hey I finally got the problem;it was the torsion bars not lubricated properly. The mechanic sprayed some chain lube on it and the noise stopped; but he did say i will need something else to lubricate it since the chain lube is a temporary solution. Any ideas on what i could use as a more permanent solution in terms of lubricating the torsion bars???

nick009
Sweet on this forum

Postby nick009 » October 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm

lithium grease should work

rx30
Street 2NR

Postby rx30 » October 16th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Thanks nick009,will try the lithium grease in the can.

shah23
Ricer

Postby shah23 » October 24th, 2011, 9:28 pm

My 2010 FORD RANGER has serious defects,
Brakes fadeing, Transmission vibrateing when pulling off and gear change with a backlash, air from outside coming inside when A/C is on like the vent on fresh, After the 20K service vehicle start to burn oil very bad. took it back and guess what...
FOOLS telling me the vehicle burn oil it is written in the service manuel.. What to do my money going down the drain. They say they used Total oil, when I went and told then about the oil burning the service man bring out a gallon of Rotella Oil, I ask about it. He said that is Total Oil.
BIG ROTELLA print on the Gallon. McEnearnerney Motors only thiefing people money and running their business like a parlour.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » October 24th, 2011, 9:52 pm

^^if i was you , i would sell my ranger to the first guy that want it and never step in "Mc Enernerney Motors" again!

homeboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby homeboy » October 25th, 2011, 8:08 pm

civic minded wrote:^^if i was you , i would sell my ranger to the first guy that want it and never step in "Mc Enernerney Motors" again!

x10.......Ford is the wors**** coughs****

JD......
3NE 2NR for life

Postby JD...... » October 26th, 2011, 6:20 am

sounds like you have a lemon there, go and complain, park it blocking the service entrance and dont move it until you get someone higher up than people there.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » October 27th, 2011, 9:32 am

hello everybody............so i just pass by Mc Enearney.

2012 Ranger to be imported from SOUTH AFRICA, asembled in south africa.

anyone heard this? will be launched in july 2012.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » October 27th, 2011, 9:41 am

^^cool!

Cooper
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby Cooper » November 7th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Hi Fellas,

I posted a guide on changing the rear differential oil in the "General Maintainence Dept. for the DIY in all of us" thread. Click here and scroll down for my post:

Indersingh
Riding on 13's

Postby Indersingh » November 25th, 2011, 7:06 am

Hi,
Is this a sports racing car?

andyken
Riding on 13's

Postby andyken » December 12th, 2011, 7:40 pm

hey guys..looking for a WL 2.5 turbo head new preferably but used (good) if possible for a 08 4 x 2 ranger. Mine got a crack just so . no overheating. crack/leak on the injector guide tingy....pressure....any ideas?

TheWraith
Riding on 13's

Postby TheWraith » January 4th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Hello Friends,
I have a 2006 ranger xlt fitted with 31*10.5*15 tyres. Looking to go up to 33's MT. Can anyone give me some advice .Do I have to lift the van,if so what height kit to use and prices

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”