TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

L200 owners........what are your experiences???

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 2nd, 2009, 7:22 pm

^ as with every other engine always ensure oil is at the required level. And make sure your oil pressure unit is functional. And to reiterate from above, ensure timing belt is in good condition.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 2nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

L200, not sure if i'm reading your last msg correctly but when doin oil any fluid change, the associated filter should be changed at that time too. especially oil filter. remember oil in an engine serves to lubricate moving parts, displace heat and clean dirt and other foreign sh*t from the engine. More importantly cuttings. The oil filter now serves to remove this sh*t from the oil. And well the rest is self explanatory. fuel filter can be changed on a less regular basis. However, you can cut open a diesel filter that you changed recently and see for yourself. That sight might make u want to change filter every week! Thanks to the high grade diesel we get in trinidad. The only filter i believe can get a bligh is air filter. You can sometimes blow it out with a compressor and reuse once you decipher if the element is still of good integrity. I dont think this should be done more than twice on an oem air filter though.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 2nd, 2009, 7:43 pm

i find the k34 air filter housing is designed stupid as the element cannot be changed with the housing bolted in place. What do you all think about puttin an aftermarket air filter and shortram intake pipe. Bear in mind a diesel engine has alot more intake suction than a gas engine. That thought came to mind again when doing the service last night. However i do like the look of a stock engine bay even tho its dirty like mines. Lol

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 2nd, 2009, 11:20 pm

^^^ :?: huh

not entirely sure if teh K34 air box and the K74 air box are teh same

but it's pretty easy on the K74, as you just have to undo teh 3 clips and take you time removing the rear part of teh air box

it pretty much slides off, but takes a lil bit to remove

then just unbolt the air filter and change

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 3rd, 2009, 7:38 pm

I have seen the k74 and the k34 air box, and it looked identical, it was jus mounted differently.

As for changing the element, I don't move the housing, its a little tricky but after taking off the cover, I jus twist the element out, it touches on the booster a little, but it still has enough space come out. I'll post up my picks soon.

If you you want to put on a cold air intake, bear in mind that the oem box is design to remove any water droplets that enter the air box, it also act as a noise dampener. Try to run the engine with the air box cover off and you will see/ hear what i mean.

cutthroatInt, you are correct ........ oil filter when changing oil, and fuel filter every other oil change or every 10 000km

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

l200, thanks for your help with the mechanic. I got tru with the oil filter housing problem.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 5th, 2009, 9:03 am

l200 wrote:I have seen the k74 and the k34 air box, and it looked identical, it was jus mounted differently.

As for changing the element, I don't move the housing, its a little tricky but after taking off the cover, I jus twist the element out, it touches on the booster a little, but it still has enough space come out. I'll post up my picks soon.

If you you want to put on a cold air intake, bear in mind that the oem box is design to remove any water droplets that enter the air box, it also act as a noise dampener. Try to run the engine with the air box cover off and you will see/ hear what i mean.

cutthroatInt, you are correct ........ oil filter when changing oil, and fuel filter every other oil change or every 10 000km

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 7th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Hey ppl, in need of a good auto electrician to service my starter. It is working but has become a little slower, it isn't turning as it use to. Carried it to service, and all the technician did was put on a relay. I was told if it not broken it doesn't need fixing. I was told that my battery is failing , and I believed because it stopped turning over the engine, only to put it in another engine and it works fine. So my starter is in need of servicing and it was confirmed by my mechanic. Any recommendations???

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 9th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Well I finally got the chance to upload the pics of changing a k34 air filter

The k34 engine bay

Remove cover by un-clipping the 3 clamps

Unscrew the thumb bolt, and remove element

this is the point that it gets a little tricky, you can see were it touches the reservoir and the air inlet, but with a little twisting the filter comes right out.

The pictures are easy to follow. Hope this was of assistance.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 9th, 2009, 2:58 pm

engine bay lookin clean sah!

i still find the removal of the air filter clearance with the brakes reservoir a little too close for comfort.

after a while of changing filters, rubbing against the reservoir might make it a loose with the potential of it starting to leak.

since we got this van, we've been removing the entire housing to change the filter.

btw, u all have the hose that connects the aire filter housing to the intake manifold.

and an extra windshield washer pump?

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » August 9th, 2009, 9:46 pm

^ent @ engine bay,for a second i thought the man stole my old pics when ours was N/A yes :lol: :lol: :lol:

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 9th, 2009, 10:12 pm

l200 wrote:Try to run the engine with the air box cover off and you will see/ hear what i mean.

Been there, done that, know what you mean

l200 wrote:cutthroatInt, you are correct ........ oil filter when changing oil, and fuel filter every other oil change or every 10 000km

I change my diesel filter every oil change (5000km)

I usually run my tank low, lower than 1/4 tank several times between oil changes.

I ensure that I always buy diesel from gas stations with clean diesel tanks, but still change the filter every 5000km, just to be sure

The filters way too cheap to not change anyway

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 9th, 2009, 11:42 pm

talkin bout clean diesel, friday nite my cousin full up the frontier on cross crossing. not the quick shop, but the other NP station rite after Ten degrees north...

he leave the station and just after the lights shut down...

they friggin full the tank with water, not diesel..

the diesel was contaminated with water.... cudnt get it to start for sheit.. and had to be pulled home..

we tried everyting. suck diesel from a keg, removed water trap/filter because it was filled with water.. break lines, prime, start, nutting... 9 oclock meet we so we call it quits...

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » August 10th, 2009, 11:42 am

^aye dog,i find the front grill,lol,it was in a blasted drain yes! that'll teach me to go through flood that touching the windscreen again :lol: :lol:

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 10th, 2009, 1:52 pm

ha ha. Daz wuh we talkin bout

trinibajan34
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trinibajan34 » August 10th, 2009, 7:36 pm

gents while reading through this thread i i saw one for sale, so made arrangements to test drive it cause it looked really good,but unfortunately i couldnt get thmoney to buy it, it was a tbd k34 with the 4d56T 4x4. can u guys tell me if body parts and engine parts are easy to get ? cause i just may buy one once money permits :o . and those that i see on a daily basis are in really good condition. :)

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 10th, 2009, 8:08 pm

bobbys in the bamboo stock fenders bonnet lights grill everything. Seals, clutch kit, ends, shocks, you getting all over. Engine parts are accessible once you look around. So i would say parts are easy to get. You got great support from special auto in petite bourge but carry your old parts for confirmation because like they dumb inside that place. Diamond motors helps out tremendously with part numbers etc.

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 10th, 2009, 9:52 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:engine bay lookin clean sah!

thanks cutthroatInt,

btw, u all have the hose that connects the aire filter housing to the intake manifold.

and an extra windshield washer pump?

sorry, don't have any of the parts

Abt the diesel filter it is always clean, I drain it once a month and try never allow the tank to go below half, once a week I fill up and it normally takes abt $35 and if I do any long runs it takes $50. I was told that as long as there is air space in the tank, there would always have condensation, which would allow water to get into the fuel. thats why i always stay full.

Just for asking sake, how much diesel does it take from empty???

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm

^ on the 4x2 the most it ever took was $78 or 80

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 11th, 2009, 12:08 am

on my K74 it takes $90 from E to right up to teh tank cover

allyuh men not easy nah

try never allow the tank to go below half
allyuh not using your L200 to it's full potential

i run to below 1/4 tank every time

occasionally - right down to E

but i use clean, water free diesel and AMSOIL treatment

and I boosted :lol:

usually get just over 450km to 3/4 tank

got 525km to a whole tank once, fuel light didn't come on yet either

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 11th, 2009, 12:25 pm

venum, how u know the diesel clean and water free if you fillin up at a regular gas station? I can understand if you hav your own tank at home with treated diesel.

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 11th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Hi fellas, ah in need of a right side front door window............ when I returned to the car park at work this evening, I saw the glass shattered, any help would be appreciated.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 12th, 2009, 12:10 am

oh sheit... like it was an attempted break in? lost anything?

door glass, check nick.

i;ll keep an eye out for u.

but y they harassin ah ole model mitsubishi pickup now?

u had valuables inside that they could have seen?

but they tiefing anyting these days yes.. i lost my RockStar yesterday... (dog) few mths old.

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » August 12th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Nah, they didn't thief anything, but I got a replacement at special auto, for $300.00. Although it wasn't an original, it fits and was way cheaper than the original ($765 + vat).

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 12th, 2009, 6:00 pm

glad to hear

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 12th, 2009, 11:11 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:venum, how u know the diesel clean and water free if you fillin up at a regular gas station? I can understand if you hav your own tank at home with treated diesel.

1. clean - new station with new tanks

2. water free - fillin up there for 1.5 years constantly - never got diesel with heavy water. I have never had cause to empty my water strainer. that only empties when I changing fuel filter every 5000km. water warning light never came one

and they on a hill - so less likely chance for surface\drain water to seep into their tanks when heaavy rain falls

proof enough :?:

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 13th, 2009, 2:30 am

^cool. I fillin diesel only from stations that not in any valleys also. btw, just got home. Was running the van hard on the highway. Radiator needs cleaning as temp builds at high speeds den drops back down once at low speeds. I pulled the bonnet while cooling down and i noticed i whirring round coming from around the engine head. Is there anything around there that can cause that noise? Is there anything in the fuel pump to make noise? I didnt investiquire too long but i'm hoping it might just be powersteering pump pulley.

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » September 16th, 2009, 8:47 pm

speedaholic wrote:yo tuners.. it supposed to have a lil solenoid that does raise the idle in the K34 when u put on the A/C! i need one! any ideas??

I didn't kno the k34 came with that, you would most likely have to get one off a used pump, as for me, when i put on my a/c, i put on the choke, which gives me the added rpm........ if you get through, post it up. sounding like a good mod to do.

l200
3NE 2NR for life

Postby l200 » September 16th, 2009, 9:03 pm

As we on the topic of a/c, has anyone ever modified their blowers to get it to blow harder. Mine works, but in mid day heat, it needs some more power.......... any suggestions???

Abt maintenance, I had pulled down the evaporator (if I am not mistaken, the part connected to the blower) and cleaned it out, it was really dirty. After mounting back up and gas-ing up, it worked really good. The only problem is that the blower not powerful.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » September 21st, 2009, 11:05 am

Choke cable important

I use mine when running my off-road and driving lights

Or in traffic when using A/C

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”