TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

I am Considering

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

I am Considering

Postby civic minded » April 10th, 2012, 6:04 pm

After what happened over the weekend, got me thinking. I am giving alot of thought to sell my 2010 3.0L ranger to buy something older, with the money i can modify it to be an offroad beast.
Cause really and truly, i cannot risk damage to my Ranger like what happened. And i know it is going to get worse.

Alot of you guys here know my ranger. Tell me what you all think.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Re: I am Considering

Postby venum » April 10th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Good plan

makes better economic sense

anddddd u will get to have more fun

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 10th, 2012, 7:58 pm

care to explain what happened?

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 10th, 2012, 8:42 pm

i slide and hit a tree. its just cosmetic but - the more i offroad - the chances of this happening will be more and more.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 10th, 2012, 9:24 pm

oh ho....i see

depends on how deep your pockets are, ball is in your court

okay i prob didnt help your arguement at all with that remark :?

Smeed
Sweet on this forum

Postby Smeed » April 10th, 2012, 10:52 pm

noooooooooooooooooo!!!!..... keep yuh ranger and buy some bess tires. your van in real good condition boy.... buying someting older will jus give u more headache wid maintenance issues.... u have your van from new and you will know the way u treated it from day one..... u cud end up buying another person's headache......

i say once u can afford it, keep yuh ranger and kit it out.... but spend on de most important stuff, like tires and rescue eqpt..... things like lights, bumpers etc are secondary.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 10th, 2012, 11:09 pm

^^ yeah i know what your saying smeed - these maxxis i have really disappointed me - i air down to 20psi and still not getting traction. It have a good bit of life on it yet and i cant understand how i slide so much in that trail! The Hercules Terra Trac was 10 times better than these Maxxis Bravo 771 AT.

It really depends who was the last owner of the van your buying and how well he took care of it. A test drive and a mechanic thoroughly check should cite any foreseeable headaches. But i don't know - i am playing around with the idea right now. And looking at the pros and cons.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 11th, 2012, 12:01 am

Smeed you have a valid point, but I think civic minded, from his initial post, is more concerned about not damaging his vehicle

it really doesn't matter how well and how good you keep your vehicle if you are more concerned about trail damage - you will be damaging a good vehicle when having off-road fun

most if not all off-roaders will have some trail damage to boast about - a dent here, broken axel there, a broken driveshaft another time, a slide and hit something the next time, a broken leaf spring, etc. it is all part of the fun and learning and the inevitable minor accident

the fact is that on an off-road excursion, there will be some trail damage when having fun

it is left to the owner to decide whether he wants to incur that damage to his new\fairly new $200,000.00+ vehicle - totally his choice

serious off-roaders usually have a dedicated rig for off-roading, usually an older, cheaper vehicle for which parts are more easily available and cheaper and another for daily driving

when using your daily driver for off-roading you will feel the effects of trail damage more and harder than if you have a dedicated rig

with the older, dedicated vehicle usually the owner will not mind the occasional dent or broken part

because of this they would also be able to push it harder off-road and have more fun, since the thought and occurence of damage is not as hurtful to them as if it were on a newer vehicle

with the older vehicle, you can also have more available access for less $$$ to accessories

I would suggest that any serious off-roader get a dedicated rig (all of SideB are quickly becoming such as you guys do take your passion for off-roading seriously, evident by teh frequency, difficulty and risk levels of your runs and your participation in sporting events)

with the dedicated off-road rig you would get more value for $$$ spent on accessories. e.g. mudd tyres would last longer as they mostly used in mud rather than mostly on street if used on a daily driver, less mechanical wear on suspension and mechnical parts as it is not used unless off-roading

CM it is your $$$ that ultimately spending so it is your decision

i just pointing out some pros, someone else can present the cons

think about sliding into the tree and damaging the Ranger worse than happened weekend

now estimate the repair bill to bring it back to where it supposed to be

now think about doing the same with a Jimny\Samurai or older model Ranger - definately cheaper as you may not necessarily want to do the full repair, just maybe the bare minimum to get the vehicle operational, because chances are it gonna get damaged again

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 11th, 2012, 3:06 am

^ venum has good points there. He of all ppl should know what its like to take ur daily driver and bang it up on a trail.

If you're gonna partake in heavier trails, be ready to foot the bill esp if your vehicle is newer.

CM, of course side B will have your back bro, and no one gets left behind. Any kind of incident on a trail is regrettable, and its unfortunate ur truck got some damage while partaking in our chosen motorsport.

Smeed also had some good points about older vehicles - I myself was tempted to either sell the Nav and buy a 3.0Frontier recently, but in the end, I decided that I got the truck brand new so I know its history and I know it should be relatively trouble free for the next couple of years and any older vehicle can be cleaned up to be nice and pretty but would stil have hidden flaws that are yet to manifest.

Venum made a very good suggestion to have a weekend-warrior type vehicle for runs only, and park the ranger when on a trail. Doesn't have to be a Jimny but anything that has parts readily available and easily maintained or repaired would do.

I really feel for ya man, but I wouldn't advise you to sell the Ranger, not just yet. Think of all the good amenities you'd be giving up: its a relatively new vehicle, you know its history, etc. It would definitely be worth considering doing essential upgrades like tyres, suspension etc.

Here's my advice and what I did my own self too: upgrade your tyres and let's go on some more trails. If you find it not working out in the next year or so, then think about changing vehicles.

Maybe even get a spare set of cheap steel rims to mount mud-terrain tyres (like some Kumho KL71's or BFG MT KM2) and run those on runs only.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 11th, 2012, 5:02 am

I'm with Smeed and Lighthammer as well, that's the same reason I never sold my GV to buy an older / tougher vehicle, I just like my reliable / cold AC / fully functional ride. What I would strongly recommend is to keep up with the maintenance and you will get years of reliable service. (tip - change your ATF yearly! Forget the manufacturer recommendations on this! Talk to any experienced mech and see for yourself)

One of my biggest mistakes was not purchasing a second set of Terra Tracs after my 1st set wore out. I went with the Firestone Destinations and those got me stuck in some shameful locations too many times. Tyres really change the performance of your ride off road. I'd recommend purchasing either the BFG AT (wicked off road performance with great on road handling) or another set of Terra Tracs. Those tyres will do great daily and for your occasional off road adventure.

Just FYI, Morne Diablo is among the hardest trails we have, so don't feel bad if you struggled there.. that's expected..

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 11th, 2012, 5:51 am

^Word.

Don't stress bai Civic - wasn't the truck that let u down.. Was the tires.

Upgrade or get a second set.... We'll even help u install them the evening before or morning of whenever u making a run (just keep the street-set in ur tray, for extra weight on the trail!! ) :mrgreen:

Smeed
Sweet on this forum

Postby Smeed » April 11th, 2012, 8:24 am

Venum made some valid points dere........ BUT, CM ain't say he wanna keep de ranger and buy a weekend warrior.... He say he wanna sell de ranger and buy an older vehicle.......

Don't do it dude!! I am sure u can get bess tires and even a small lift and den destroy almost any trail... Dais a minimal cost, coupled with a vehicle that u have owned from brand new.... Win win situation right dere.

Not bashing anyone, but I've seen some of de older "road warrior" vehicles suffer serious mechanical damage while de newer "stock" trucks make it thru just fine.... Broken springs, axles, failed fuel pumps etc.

As Rene said, if u stick wid your present vehicle u won't have issues wid de simpler tings we all take for granted.... Like AIr conditioning and reliability.

Hear what... Make a spin by yuh bro and slap on some bfg's.... Or option 2... swing up byWestborne trading and let Jerome hook u up wid a snorkel and a small lift, den run some bigger tires ( not no massive arse ting eh), pick up some shackles and a snatch strap.... And yuh GOOD TO GO.....

Don let dem maxxis make yuh sell yuh van..... Take it from me, I running completely stock but I gots de bfg's and I did not have any problems....

Next ting yuh sell an den regret it, unless u sell and den go for yuh heavy T license.... Wink wink hehehe

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 11th, 2012, 9:32 am

as venum rightfully said most hardcore offroaders have a second dedicated jeep, which is the ultimate.

you will real miss your ranger anytime you sell it...

the options i would recommed are
1. keep the ranger as is for daily driving and buy a ole 4wd project and start to build it, for offroad purposes only...
2. 2X2 lift kit and some larger, better tires like 33s with some armour on the ranger and u good..

3. this one is the most important eh.......

come on more runs, and learn to handle your vehicle better!!!!

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 11th, 2012, 11:56 am

thanks for the advice fellas , i am not sure as yet what to do - I love offroading, the adrenaline rush you get, is like when you hitting 200mph on the open road. Its so addictive!
And with every addiction, it will cost you. Trick is to try to keep the cost to a minimum while maximizing the fun.
The whole reason i bought the ranger is too be able to do some offroading while using it as a daily driver. And the thing is that it is built to take some licks but there is a breaking point i need to look out for.
Some of the fellas was telling me i only petting the ranger , that i need to rough it up more. But in the back of my mind is "if i broke the axle or damage the transmission" - thats gonna cost me in the thousands or the tens of thousands to fix.

Now if i bought a old model Hilux such as
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=418089

I can still use this to do my daily runs and have some extra cash in the bank to modify this into a decent offroader.
One thing i know about - this can take a few hits into some trees and getting parts to replace such as a broken axle isn't hard.

Buying a dedicated offroad machine isn't in the cards for me right now. maybe later on i will go to that stage.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 11th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Upgrade first bro, with better tires and an upgraded suspension that has more articulation and better shock-absorbing capabilities you won't need to rush obstacles as much and take better care to cross them, which will preserve your drivetrain.

Remember your ranger's transmisson/drivetrain hasn't changed much since 1997, its still the same platform as the B2500 and older ranger, so parts are more or less the same. Only difference is really the gearing and ECU/automatic gearbox.

The key to offroading isn't to rush every single obstacle and rough up the truck, but to go "low-and-slow" to keep traction at all times.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 11th, 2012, 4:56 pm

You do know it doesn't get any cheaper, even if you buy that Hilux right.. Break an axle in that and you gonna see some stress finding parts at decent prices. If the engine lets go, because of age, that's more headache. Some of the Side B Toyota men could give you an idea on what repair costs look like.

I am sure your Ranger is stronger and will outlast that Hilux. There are two things you will have to look out for of course, your automatic transmission (just change the fluid yearly) and try not to bump into trees etc.. The latter shouldn't happen often because it's not everyday you go on the really difficult trails.

Look my bro has done all the difficult trails with us and he has never damaged anything in his B2500 up until this point.. and he roughed up that truck quite abit at times.. The more trails you come on with us, the more you will learn about what Lighthammer is saying, sometimes a slow approach with careful power delivery is all you really need..

You have a real strong tough ride, don't rush to 'upgrade' and 'lift kit' etc etc.. Just get yourself some decent tyres and you will be impressed at what your stock rig is capable of.

(and don't compare your truck to mine, I am playing with a small SUV that was never built as strong as your average pickup, so mods were necessary for me to catch up with everyone else)

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » April 12th, 2012, 7:55 am

civic minded wrote:^^ yeah i know what your saying smeed - these maxxis i have really disappointed me - i air down to 20psi and still not getting traction. It have a good bit of life on it yet and i cant understand how i slide so much in that trail! The Hercules Terra Trac was 10 times better than these Maxxis Bravo 771 AT.

It really depends who was the last owner of the van your buying and how well he took care of it. A test drive and a mechanic thoroughly check should cite any foreseeable headaches. But i don't know - i am playing around with the idea right now. And looking at the pros and cons.

20 psi on A/T's is not much help...you will still slide... try 10-12psi.... however a/t's fill up quickly with mud and then it becomes a h/t. Just to let you know 20 psi on my B/F M/T's and I still spin....I get max traction between 5-10 psi

Additionally I have never been impressed with maxxis tires- seen some M/Ts on trail already and wondered if they we really m/t- not bashing anyone tire/brand - just my personal observation

Regarding you thoughts - obviously you have to expect that something will happen to your van once you start offroad etc be it a scratch, dent, bent running board etc..its not the road. My suggestion however is keep your truck- invest in a spare set of rims and a set of M/T's for your trails.

Buying another vehicle to play around with usually costs alot more given the time spent in mods etc...

just my 0.02

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » April 12th, 2012, 8:00 am

of course you can always buy a zuki and use that strictly for offroading!!!!

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 12th, 2012, 8:59 am

CM boi, keep the ranger boi, jus trade in the wheels and get some good rubbers....

harry ramroop can do a body lift for you for 3K and with dat u running 33s comfortable, no compromise to ride quality, doesnt mean more articulation, jus more tub clearance for the larger wheels....

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » April 12th, 2012, 10:32 am

Old School FTW .... get anything from TA*- TBU lux ... you won't regret it. The older lux is build for the mud.

Personally I wouldn't throw a $200 000 vehicle in the mud.
Last edited by sweeks on April 12th, 2012, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 12th, 2012, 10:51 am

sweeks wrote:Old School FTW .... get anything from TA*- TBU lux ... you won't regret. The older lux is build for the mud.

Personally I wouldn't throw a $200 000 vehicle in the mud.

I agree vehicles too expensive in trinidad (with all the taxes) to put a 200,000.00 (which is about 20 months pay for a man working for 10,000) in the mud.

In other countries like the UK for example where the hilux sells for 16000 pounds that's just about 5 months pay for a person making a little over 3000 pounds.

For me I say get something like a Jimmy for about 50000 tt (5 times 10000 tt)
and off road with that

Just my opinion!

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Well since he made reference to my hilux for sale, I shall make no comment or else men go say I bias lol

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » April 12th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I was there... Makes No sense to put a 200k plus vehicle in the Mud/Trail that was really designed for on road luxury. With the 2009 and 2010 Hilux i wanted to have fun but just could not cuz i didnt want to F@ck it up. If the Mud and Trail and Off-Roading is your passion you really cant beat a rigged out Old Model. I did my research.. The fun you will have with a Vehicle that you know is built for the environment you taking it in an if you do break something it wont cost a ridiculous amount to replace is Priceless....

(Now mind you- Its really Hard to find a good one - Its like Good GOLD) BUT- Find a as best condition as possible old model 4x4 with a proven track record (Hilux are the best beyond doubt!) Then take it to the next level.... You will always be falling in love with her and the experiences you will be having with her. Cant ever do that with the new models (Without being wasteful!)

Case in Point!

My 2004 Hilux. 4x4 Double Cab
Bought in Original Condition.

A Project.... The Indestructible Hilux.

Full Under Coat
Floor coated.
Custom interior
Old Man EMU Suspension Kit
33x12.5.15 M/T tires and Mickey T Rims
Bushwacker Fender Flares
K&N

ALOT more to come... I dont wanna spill the Beans.. :twisted:

The Joy and Freedom/Relaxation I get from this one cant even compare to the New Models I had before. Not to mention its a Fraction of the Cost! More Capable and Turns heads... :lol:

Best of luck with your decision Bro...

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » April 12th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Team Loco wrote:Well since he made reference to my hilux for sale, I shall make no comment or else men go say I bias lol

They don't call you Hilux whore for nothing!

Smeed
Sweet on this forum

Postby Smeed » April 12th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Me ain't seeing no mud under Phoenix hilux......hmmmmmm???

De man sayin he want a capable daily driver.... He already 90% dere..... Once he buy better tires he on like corn

Personally, I dohwant no vehicle dat I will have to repair or be constantly afraid dat something will go wrong (like overheating, AC blow, etc etc), my time off too valuable for dat. Like I said before, keep de ranger and run better tires. I find my ride handle dat trail well....de AT's performed bess. I went down to 20 psi in front and didn't have any issues. I read previously dat u need to spin dem vigorously to keep de lugs clean to maximize traction and dat is what I tried to do..... Choose de best line and pedal to de fackin metal.....Is not gravel we was on eh pally, is fackin clayey gunky sheit even me wid meh 280 lbs and meh tall boots and even de trail shoe I had on was sliding all over de place.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 13th, 2012, 2:31 am

That's a bad message some of you all sending about off roading. You don't need a dedicated off road rig, locking differentials, massive lug tyres, pretty flares etc to enjoy the sport..

If you dig through the off road forum, you will see many stories of guys with regular and mildly modified vehicles exploring the country and having a great time doing so.. and all of them did so with their daily rides.

If you want to go into true hardcore off roading, well, that's a completely different story from what is being discussed here..

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

I am Considering

Postby civic minded » April 13th, 2012, 7:28 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, I decided I am gonna keep the ranger, change tires , put in a lift kit and install some protection on the sides. Cause when I think about it , the reason I bought auto cause I am in traffic most of the time.
Side b usually do a run once a month or two. So I need to think about the usage when not offroading.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 13th, 2012, 9:44 am

civic minded wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys, I decided I am gonna keep the ranger, change tires , put in a lift kit and install some protection on the sides. Cause when I think about it , the reason I bought auto cause I am in traffic most of the time.
Side b usually do a run once a month or two. So I need to think about the usage when not offroading.

dammit!! :x :x :x

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 13th, 2012, 10:27 am

^^ ha ha ha :-):-)

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 13th, 2012, 10:31 am

operation "park white hilux next to ranger to bun man eye" in effect. he go change he mind

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”