TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The 2012 Ford Ranger & Mazda BT-50 - THEY'RE HERE!!

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
lighthammer
punchin NOS

The 2012 Ford Ranger & Mazda BT-50 - THEY'RE HERE!!

Postby lighthammer » July 17th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Right fellas, time to condense all the threads about the new 2012 Ford Ranger (i.e. the upcoming model to be released in late '10/early '11) into a single, comprehensive thread.

Here are the links to the other threads if you want to browse through them:

- Initial spotting of the new Ranger being tested in Sweden
- CGI rendition of the 2012 Ford Ranger; exterior & interior
- New Ranger and other new pickups for 2011

For those who haven't heard yet, the new 2012 redesigned Ranger will feature:
- Newly redesigned coil-over-shocks suspension, changed from the previous torsion-bar setup on the current PK Ranger. The new ranger will have a smoother, refined, more SUV-like ride similar to the current Hilux, Navara & L200 Sportero. No more bouncy, workhorse-grade suspension.
- Redesigned grill and headlight cluster. No word yet if the tail-light cluster will change dramatically from the current Ranger.
- Longer and wider body. The new Ranger is being designed by Ford Australia, with the previous models designed by Ford Japan's branch. Due to Japanese Transport laws, the bodies of the Ranger & BT-50's were limited to 1.5meters in width, however Australia's design team have increased the overall body-width to visually significant but unspecified dimensions. Unofficial reports say that the new Ranger will be approx. the same size as the current Hilux.
- Redesigned interior cabin. The new dashboard will resemble the current Ford Fiesta and Ford Fusion. The layout will be less spartan than the current model's and more ergonomic with better seat-support. The rear-seat legroom; previously a gripe with Ranger owners will also be increased by a significant amount - said to match the Navara for leg-space.
- Possibly new engines. *UNCONFIRMED* - The prototype spied being tested was shown using the 3.2L TDCi out of the Ford Transit (codenamed "PUMA"). Generating 150KW and 470NM, if this engine carries over to the production model then the new Ranger will produce more power & torque than even the new 2012 model Navara, making it the most powerful pickup on our roads. Otherwise, the current 2.5TDCi and 3.0TDCi would simply be carried over to the new model.

It's also rumored that the current Duratorq engines may be reworked into 2.2TDCI and a 3.2TDCI package, in comparison to the existing 2.5TDCI and 3.0TDCI engines available.

Latest spyshots of the Ranger being tested in California (with the finalized body design - no more BT-50 disguised test-mules):

The new Ranger's body is noticeably wider than the current PK model. Look at the three-bar grill that Ford has adopted, and what looks like a larger intercooler directly underneath that 3-bar grill (the older models have a smaller intercooler located near the bottom of the front bumper-opening). Also notice the foglight peeking out from the opening of the canvas on the lower left of the pic. And then on the A-pillar of the passenger side, notice the new grab-handle - similar to the Hilux's and not previously available on the older Ranger. This finalized prototype also has larger and wider wheels, most likely 17 or 18-inch wheels, hopefully this will make it to the production as a standard option (instead of 16-inch). Finally, you can see the undercarriage has some protective skid-plates, bolted under the engine.

The body is definitely longer and wider than the current 2010 model. Looks a bit taller too, with a little more ground-clearance on this model. The new, bigger mag-rims definitely add a more masculine, modern appearance.

The new coil-over shocks are barely visible within the front wheel-well (right click >> View Image >>> ctrl and "+" to magnify)
The cabin is also noticeably longer, looks like the rear-section will be as roomy as the current Navara.

Hard to tell from this picture cuz of the canvas, but the new taillight cluster looks like it'll be the same over-sized, safety-minded design as the current Ranger. The rear windshield will remain large & easy to see out of; a distinct advantage over the small rear-windshield of the current Hilux. Also, check out the huge amount of clearance between the rear diff and the road - it's gonna be a tall truck. There is also a new high-mounted stoplight on the rear of the roof.

Too bad Ford isn't giving us more about the overall final design of the Ranger. Lots of folks are anxiously awaiting the big reveal at the next major Auto Expo.
The UK/EURO-spec Ranger is currently being tested in California and Sweden.

MORE SPYSHOTS & REVEALING DETAILS

Look very closely at the left-sided headlight. Just under the canvas you can see that the outline is very angular, and the orange indicator can be seen on top of the right headlight, very close to the CGI-rendition released earlier this year:

You can also appreciate how large the new intercooler is, located right under the 3-bar grille.

Coil-over-shock suspension setup means a much smoother and refined ride. More like an SUV than a workhorse pickup.

INTERIOR SPY PHOTOS

The new 2012 Ranger will have an interior that's very similar to the Ford Fiesta. Rumor has it that a reversing camera will now be available, along with Ford's own "SYNC" intelligent drive (similar ot BMW's iDrive) and LCD screen display.

Look at the instrument cluster very closely and you'll notice a smaller LCD between the Odo and tachometer. This most likely will be a seconday display for vehicle info, such as trip-meter, fuel-gauge & mileage indicator, etc (similar to the Honda CRV).

CGI-rendition of the finished product. Looks like almost everything from the prototype has made it over to the final production model.

And there we go - the new 2012 Ford Ranger. Designed in Australia, tested in California, build in Thailand, to be sold in EURO/ASIAN markets (but not the US Market - the current US Ranger will be phased out in 2011 to make room for the new F-100, smaller and more efficient than the F-150).

Source 1
Source 2
Last edited by lighthammer on November 30th, 2012, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The 2012 Ford Ranger - Spyshots, news, tech details, etc

Postby civic minded » July 17th, 2010, 4:20 pm

bleh.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » July 31st, 2010, 8:08 pm

A couple more spyshots:

More hidden body shots. Definitely looks bigger than the current 2010 Ranger, possibly as big as or bigger than the Hilux

Inside console:

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » August 1st, 2010, 12:23 am

2012 looks like a good time to upgrade....

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » August 1st, 2010, 6:51 am

wait and see

ctrucks
Riding on 13's

Postby ctrucks » August 6th, 2010, 5:33 am

I'm not a huge Ford fan, but the new Ranger looks very impressive. Wonder how long it will take for it to be released over here. :?:

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 20th, 2010, 1:43 am

New video came out this month.
Bit of a useless c*cktease, but confirms that the new Ranger will debut in Oct. at the international auto show in Australia where it was designed.

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » September 20th, 2010, 7:20 pm

If them bring the F150 the dance will mash up

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 22nd, 2010, 6:55 am

next youtube c*cktease video for the 2011 Ranger.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 22nd, 2010, 2:25 pm

Saw this article in New York Times about the new Ford Ranger

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09 ... wheelsema2
Attachments
Ford Ranger.jpg
Ford Ranger.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 28708 times

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » September 22nd, 2010, 7:19 pm

read the blog below - the Americans that post are real frugal and condescending dread, they really feel the world revolves around them

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 22nd, 2010, 7:54 pm

^yup.

Let them stick with their gas guzzlers - I happy with my $95TT ($15USD) tank of diesel which carrying me 650km (400miles).

That's why ford wouldn't want to sell the new ranger there: no one would buy it because it's too small (the F150 is 1.5x the size of the navara - the navara is considered a small-mid sized pickup there) and they think all diesel vehicles belch out black smoke and drive like tractors.

I wonder if they know that Audi won the LeMans with a diesel R8?

Instead of investing in economical diesel engines like the UK, the yankees prefer to spend a shyetload of money on a useless Hybrid which actually uses more resources than it saves when being manufactured, while a diesel engine is just as economical.

Stoopid americans.

Can't wait to see the new ranger.

[/end rant]

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Postby Scoop » September 22nd, 2010, 10:46 pm

would u guys say its a good time now to purchase a 2010 ranger from the firm?
2.5 turbo xlt wl engine
fully loaded 4x4 currently priced at 184,000

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 23rd, 2010, 9:03 am

I have a 2.5 year old Hilux. Bit 2 years from now if we have that new ranger down here who knows!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 23rd, 2010, 8:40 pm

sm wrote:would u guys say its a good time now to purchase a 2010 ranger from the firm?
2.5 turbo xlt wl engine
fully loaded 4x4 currently priced at 184,000

SM...

Just to let you know, the WLT engine is less powerful and less fuel efficient than the 2.5 WLC and 3.0 WEC engines. The WLT is the same engine continued from the 2006 ranger and even the mazda B2500.

The WLT is a direct-injected, turbo-charged diesel but the power output is quite low (89HP and 226NM torque) and fuel mileage is only 400-450km per tank. The newer TDCi common rail turbodiesels make much more power (2.5TDCi - 115KW and 330NM, 3.0TDCi - 135KW, 380NM) and better mileage - 500 to 600km per tank.

From what I understand with other forum members' feedback, the WLT generation engine has a good amount of power. You won't be launching off the line like a madman, but the power is just adequate.

Only problem is that the TDCi engines come only in Automatic. You can order a manual TDCi engine, but it takes 5 months to deliver and they want 50% down for it. McEarney motors doesn't sell the TDCi's in manual trans anymore due to low demand.

I was previously all about manual transmissions but I test-drove an automatic 2008 2.5TDCi ranger (see my emo-rant thread about buying a g*da@mned ranger on the forum) and I found the 2.5TDCI to be very torquey - just as torquey as my 3.0TDI Frontier. Power delivery was crisp and acceleration smooth and fast. I didn't time the 0-100km/h but the truck felt fast. It shot forward from a standstill when I pressed my foot down and boost from the engine was delivered very early as a big chunk of torque at only 1800RPM (my frontier gets boost at 2400RPM).

The transmission was responsive, shifted quickly and the downshifts were responsive. It felt a bit weird at first driving an automatic pickup truck (after driving manual trucks for years) but it felt like something I could get used to.

Bottom line - if you don't mind driving an auto pickup, the TDCi would be worth the extra cash. Not sure about the 3.0TDCi, but word from other members who own them say that it's hugely powerful - they burnout easily when pulling off.

But if you want a powerful 4x4 manual transmission, it's worth checking out the L200 Sportero 2.5 D-1D manual. It makes as much power as a 3.0TDi frontier (115KW, 315NM torque) with a similarly sized tray (smaller than the navara, ranger and hilux though) and the 2.5 common rail turbo D-1D costs $199,000.00

Another option is the 4x4 Manual 6-speed Navara. Most powerful (141KW, 403NM torque) and biggest interior & tray. For the 4x4 Manual with fabric seats, Tubular sidesteps - $202,000

The Hilux 3.0D4D also comes in 4x4 manual, fabric seats, and sidesteps for $227,000. It makes 135KW, 356NM torque and is the most comfortable of all the trucks.

Hope that gives you enough info for an informed decision.

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Postby Scoop » September 24th, 2010, 10:33 am

thanks lighthammer....from what ive heard from other people...the wlt is a lot easier and cheaper to maintain and work on...this is a determining factor for me...
the reviews i had.. all seemed to praise the wlt as "bulletproof"
i not about huge power
my intention is jus to transition from gas to diesel..and maybe the occasional off road..also price is determining factor....the way i am seeing it..(the ranger is the cheapest) im getting a bulletproof diesel 4x4 for a cheaper price than the rest

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » September 24th, 2010, 11:23 am

why dont you go for the frontier? they dont give trouble - right lighthammer?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 24th, 2010, 12:31 pm

^^ haha :)
Civic minded, ent we each allowed one emo-hissy fit per year??

Nah the frontier is a strong pickup.
Just make sure to do regular checkups when you get past 150,000 kms. But the engine still pulling strong and powerful at 175000kms.

To the OP - from what you saying, the WLT is probably the bettwe choice for you.

I was in your position a couple months ago - was looking at the ranger to buy later on as well.

Here's my advice:
- buy the base XLT 2.5TDi 4x4 Manual with the older WLT engine - $189,000 OTR right now at McM. Don't buy any upgrade package, just the basic truck.
- get your accessories outside, don't go for the Hurricane package ($15,000 upgrade). If you buy the same accessories in the Hurricane package at an outside vendor: Sidesteps, Bedliner, Stainless steel rollbar, it'll come up to about $9000 or so. I'd recommend 4x4Trinidad - they have good prices. 6724691 - call them, don't PM from these forums. CALL THEM.
- right now Scotiabank has a promotion - 10% down, up to 6 years loan period, 5% simple interest plus $2000 cash back. They'll also help you negotiate a good insurance deal with Sagicor. Call Mr. Fayad Ali 3381504 and ask him about it. Right now scotiabank has the lowest rates and longest payment terms, while sagicor doing really well in their trading.

That's my advice to you man, I gonna do the same thing when I buy my next truck (navara or ranger).

PM if you want more details dude.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » September 24th, 2010, 1:53 pm

^^you running adds for them companies orr - better tell terrance to organise some royalties for you..

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » September 25th, 2010, 10:33 pm

hold on there hammer....i have the WLT and i used to get 600km on a tank before i dropped 500lbs of dead weight on it. and as for power.....i used to rip 1-3 gear off the light.....now i ave. 500-525kms...with a/c.

...even now...if i launch from a light it will pull great....WLT may not be as powerful as the new emgines but it runs and runs well.

i will hold on to my van for another 2yrs maybe 3 and then upgrade....to another Ranger. esp after today's trailblazer 4x4 run....plenty nav's and hilux's got stuck...i didn't see any rangers but then again the nut sitting behind the wheel has alot to do with it.

btw....those who didn't take part...yuh RRRRREEAAALLLLL miss out...!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 25th, 2010, 11:32 pm

^^ aye wagon R, nice to meet you in person finally, stance was pretty good and I wished I had come to the trailblazers.

I'm looking hard at either the ranger or navara as my next purchase. I fell in love with the ranger the day I walked into the Mcearney motors showroom, but I'm interested in the navara for its power and also the increased cabin space.

I know the WLT's reputation for being reliable, rugged and has a decent amount of power - bearing this in mind I can't really justify paying the price for a 2.5TDCi ranger when I can get a Navara 4x4 manual for the same price as the 2.5 TDCi.

I'm glad you shared your experience with the WLT in your ranger though. At $186K for the XLT with the 2.5 TDi WLT, it seems like a good deal.

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Postby Scoop » September 26th, 2010, 8:14 pm

thanks for the info guys....ill pm u if i need more details lighthammer

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » September 27th, 2010, 2:11 am

...same here hammer....always nice to bounce up a fellow diesel member...

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » September 27th, 2010, 10:40 pm

sm wrote:thanks lighthammer....from what ive heard from other people...the wlt is a lot easier and cheaper to maintain and work on...this is a determining factor for me...
the reviews i had.. all seemed to praise the wlt as "bulletproof"

Never a "truer" statement... They fixed them up easily. A WLT engine in the bamboo is about $6000. How much is a TDCi?

Anyone seen a mechanic pulldown a common rail engine and service the fuel pump yet?

One issue is overheating though ... if you don't maintain properly, the head gasket blows.

2012 looks good though .... different ... and a sunroof would be nice.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm

I considering getting a WLT-engine ranger now.
Nissans are powerhouses, but too much maintenance.
Toyota hiluxes are great, but out of my price range
I do like the L200 after seeing it in person and sitting in it.

Sweeks - what you said is quite right. The WLT is easy to disassemble and repair. Good amount of torque, good power, reliable.

I could see myself owning a WLT ranger for years and years.
And there's that copy of the WLT/WLC ranger service manual on the other thread that's available for download - so there you go.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 27th, 2010, 11:05 pm

civic minded wrote:^^you running adds for them companies orr - better tell terrance to organise some royalties for you..

I don't mind helping out the small business person, once they have competitive prices and are looking to build a solid base. I know what it's like to struggle with a small business and you take all the help you could get.

Plus everyone benefits from more sales = more imports = better products.

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » September 27th, 2010, 11:48 pm

stance really was gud huh... wago.. where d pics mann??

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby wagon r » September 28th, 2010, 11:50 am

pics up on the homepage.....and check the usual location.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 29th, 2010, 6:12 am

New shots of the upcoming T6 Ranger, straight from the Ford Ranger facebook page.

Looks like the new Ranger is definitely NOT the FOrd Raptor, and it's smaller in size than it as well (it's as big as a camel, from the pics here).
Looking at the lights, it's probably going to be close in shape to the PK ranger, but still no shots on the final bodywork.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » October 2nd, 2010, 2:59 pm

it will hold a similar shape to the current version i am sure , maybe a few extras like on dash computer will be a plus.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”