TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Knocking/Shaking noise in L200 Sportero

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Knocking/Shaking noise in L200 Sportero

Postby Slick84 » June 24th, 2012, 10:44 am

Hey guys,i have a L200 Sportero and recently I've been getting a knocking noise that I assume was the steering coupling, but it isn't that. I did a suspension check in 2 different places and the both said the suspension parts are all in good condition. Do any of you know what is making that knocking noise when I'm driving? It's an annoying knocking noise, not loud or anything, but it just makes a knocking/shaking noise when the vehicle is in motion, not necessarily on bumpy roads, but on any surface. I'm thinking it could be the steering column, but I'm no mechanic so I can't assume. Can anyone guide me or give me insight as to what this might be and how it can be fixed? I'm the kind of person who has to have everything sorted, so you all can imagine this is bothering me a lot and the knocking/shaking is becoming annoying now..An of you know what I'm talking about and what is it and can if be fixed?Help please....

jpec
Sweet on this forum

Re: Knocking/Shaking noise in L200 Sportero

Postby jpec » June 24th, 2012, 12:26 pm

where is the noise coming from? i.e is it from inside the cabin? engine bay? underneath?
take off your ac and radio and try very hard to listen to where the noise is coming from as it can be anywhere/anything and then let us know where it is so we can try to help you better

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 24th, 2012, 3:36 pm

i did that already...the noise seems to be coming from underneath,i cod go as far as to say it sounds like a knocking/shaking in the steering column,and with the noise i feel slight twitching on the steering wheel...its definitely outside and under the vehicle...but as i said,the suspension check showed no damage to ends,joints or steering coupling,so i don't know what else to check...

jpec
Sweet on this forum

Postby jpec » June 24th, 2012, 7:40 pm

with the twitch in the steering wheel, does it only happen at speed or once the car is in motion?
i know you said the noise is there once its moving, but what about the twitch in the steering? there once u drive or only at a certain speed?

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 24th, 2012, 7:52 pm

no,as long as the vehicle is in motion the noise will start,but its not ongoing,but u hear the knocking/shaking noise once its in motion...and as or the "twitch",u feel it once in motion...it sounds as if something needs greasing,as if 2 iron objects are knocking/rubbing together,that's the best way to describe it,but not heard if you don't know what to listen for...the "twitch" isn't bad,but i feel it on the steering once in motion

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » June 25th, 2012, 12:07 pm

check transmission and transfer case mounts

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 25th, 2012, 12:59 pm

im sure its not tranmission...but i'l chek the mounts...can u recommend anyone to chek that for me?

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » June 25th, 2012, 7:33 pm

when last have you greased your crosses? this may be the problem if there is a "knock" or a 'clink' etc on take off.

i'm having a similar problem. going to grease them tomorrow. will let you know if it works

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 25th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I'm not much of a van man,so exactly what crosses are u talkin about?and where are u goin to sort ur van?i wodn't mind to try other mechanics..

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » June 25th, 2012, 9:30 pm

i'm referring to the cross and bearing joints on the drive shaft. the noises are becoming more noticeable to me so i'm gonna see if i get it sorted tomorrow and i'll let u know how it goes for me.

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 26th, 2012, 3:22 pm

ok cool thanks...any recommendations as to where i can go to get this noise rectified and fixed?and good mechanics?

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 26th, 2012, 3:54 pm

A company mechanic told me the noise most times is from the upper ball joints...he said it creates a slight knocking on the steering column which makes people think its the steering column,but its actually the uppers joints,and this is caused because these vehicles don't have nipples on the joints so once the grease wears off,the joints will go bad because there is no other way to grease them without nipples...He said he would check it and let me know if its that,so I'll keep you all posted accordingly...Thanks thus far

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » June 27th, 2012, 4:02 am

sounds good. awaiting update.

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » June 28th, 2012, 6:54 pm

The mechanic drove the van today and he said it is actually the upper ball joint..the lower one very rarely goes bad,but the upper on always goes bad due to driving patterns and everyday use..He said most times that's the only part that goes bad,and the ends don't usually go bad unless its in a bad way...He will change the joints this weekend,so when that is done,i will update you all with driving results as well as any additional info he gives me about the suspension and other under parts...

Slick84
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slick84 » July 5th, 2012, 4:33 pm

It was actually the upper ball joint,apparently they are the ones to go bad and make that knocking noise that sends a vibration on the steering column...the uppers ball joints go bad while the rest of the suspension needs a lot of wear and tear for it to go bad...as simple as that....thanks for all your help guys...watever info i get again i'll be sure to post it up

jpec
Sweet on this forum

Postby jpec » July 7th, 2012, 9:35 pm

glad you got it all sorted it out!

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”