TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

BRAKE LIGHT INSTALLED WITHOUT CUTTING THE TAIL GATE

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
slippery when wet
Ricer

BRAKE LIGHT INSTALLED WITHOUT CUTTING THE TAIL GATE

Postby slippery when wet » February 18th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Hello tuners, any of you guys or ladies ever wanted to have that brake light on your tailgate but didn't want to cut the body on your truck? Well I had that same problem and I came up with an idea which I don't mind sharing. My apologies if it was done already, its just that I personally have never seen one done. Its a really simple DIY project that requires just a few items, some you may have to buy and some you may have lying around the garage and some in the fridge, we'll get to that shortly.

The idea is to use a self adhesive LED strip and a slightly modified tailgate handle finisher. I bought my Hilux used, it did not come with the brake light but for some reason the previous owner put on a finisher with the space for a brake light, it looked really weird. I thought about removing it but then again I like chrome, so I came up with the idea to use the LED strip, without cutting a hole in the sheet metal.

The LED strip can be cut to size so if you have the finisher carry it to get the correct length for the opening. This will ensure a good fit behind the finisher without having to alter the strip, like I had to do. I learned from my mistake so I am passing on this info. The piece of self adhesive white LED strip with a yard and a half of wire cost me $35.00. You will also have to get an old tail light to cut a piece out of to make a lens for the LED, along with a tube of clear silicon and some lager of your choice, this is where the fridge comes in handy :lol: . So here goes.

Step 1. Place the finisher onto the tailgate and mark off exactly where you want to install the light, you could stick a piece of masking tape over the area.

Step 2. Take the donor tail light and mark off an area slightly larger than the brake light opening in the finisher. You want to make sure you fully cover the opening so when you attach the lens there wouldn't be any space to be seen from the front of the light. Also you will have some material for the silicon to hold on to.

Step 3. Heat a small knife to cut into the marked off area on the tail light. Note that burning plastic is poisonous and this process should be done in a well ventilated area. If you have some other tool that can make the cut without damaging the lens it should be used. You could be adventurous and use the amber part of the lens, just saying....

Step 4. Shape the cut out piece so that it fits properly, covering the opening. Use the silicon to secure the lens to the finisher, then place some weight on it and leave for a while to set. Time for the 1st brew. Tip: If the piece you are using has a slight curve along the length of it you can place it in hot water to straighten it out, put it on a level surface and put some weight on it to hold it in place until it cools.

Step 5. Having located the exact spot for the LED strip to be attached, clean the area with some rubbing alcohol or some type of bottled spirit and proceed to attach it to the tail gate.

Step 6. If you have a Duraliner in your tray, remove the piece on your tailgate and then open up the tailgate by removing the panel on it. You will be able to see the handle from inside the tailgate. Look for a small opening between the handle and the tailgate and carefully pass the wire from the LED strip through the space so that it wouldn't show from outside and then tape it down on the inside of the tailgate.

Step 7. Strip off a small section of the ground wire from the LED and secure it onto the tailgate using any existing bolt, or you can use a tek point screw to make a grounding point for the negative wire from the LED. Pass the remaining wire (positive) through the tailgate to the bottom of it out through one of the drain holes nearest the edge of the tailgate. Tape the wire down inside of the tailgate so it would be firmly held in place but leave just a bit of slack for opening and closing. If you have any, you could run the wire through a piece of black plastic wire sheeting.

Step 8. Either a) Remove the taillight nearer to where the wire exited the tailgate, locate the positive wire on the brake light, pass the wire from the LED through any hole where it wouldn't be visible and attach it to the brake light positive wire. Remember the brake light also has the element for the park light so double check your connection at this point on the socket. Or b) Locate the brake wire in the harness under the truck and attach it there. Make sure all connections are properly taped up so you wouldn't blow a fuse then test that light and see how it looks. Fire one :drinking:

Step 9. Replace the taillight and close up the tailgate opening, replace the Duraliner on the tailgate.

Step 10. Take the finisher with your new lens and attach it correctly over the LED strip with the self adhesive tape and/or a few dabs of silicon for a firmer hold. Bring down the tailgate and place the finisher on a stack of newspaper or some non abrasive but firm material so that the adhesive agent could set, about 2-3 ales. Don't rush this part because that is what people will be seeing at the rear of your truck from now on.

Now its time to bring out the Prestone and give the area a good polish, including the lens so that you will be glowing in more ways than one. The last and sometimes the most tiring stage for me and I guess for a lot of folk is cleaning up the mess that was made. Having done that you can now kick back and take in a nice view you may seldom see, that is your tailgate brake light, without the cut. Cheers. :drinking:
Attachments
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 003.jpg
Cutting out the lens
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 008.jpg
Clamping the lens to the finisher for the silicon to set
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 017.jpg
Testing the LEDs
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 021.jpg
Stack of newspaper to make up the height to hold the finisher in place till it sets.
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 023.jpg
Polishing the area
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 032.jpg
Part of the mess to clean up
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 022.jpg
No cutting
BRAKES LIGHT INSTALL 17-02-14 027.jpg
Completed project

4X4 Trinidad
3NE 2NR for life

Re: BRAKE LIGHT INSTALLED WITHOUT CUTTING THE TAIL GATE

Postby 4X4 Trinidad » February 19th, 2014, 9:55 am

good job! excellent work man... looks neat and finished :D

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » February 19th, 2014, 10:19 am

very nice

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » February 19th, 2014, 11:01 am

well done DIY job pal, and i see u had some cold one to ease any frustrations, hahahaha......

looks real neat and original, like it was bought so.......

slippery when wet
Ricer

Postby slippery when wet » February 19th, 2014, 11:22 am

Yo thanks ppl for the positive feed back. Had to come up with an idea to keep the chrome hahaha.
4x4 we could probably work out a commission with the drastic sales increase on tailgate finishers LOL.
Anything to help the cause man, brews included.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » February 19th, 2014, 11:58 am

Good job man. Looks real neat!

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » March 18th, 2014, 12:40 pm

:mrgreen: Good job bro

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 18th, 2014, 12:54 pm

When you could do mine?

slippery when wet
Ricer

Postby slippery when wet » April 2nd, 2014, 1:07 pm

PM sent PariaMan, heads up, it will have to be after Lent, for obvious reasons LOL.

slippery when wet
Ricer

Postby slippery when wet » April 16th, 2014, 8:48 pm

The Hilux up for sale now, check details in the classified section.

slippery when wet
Ricer

Postby slippery when wet » August 4th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Just installed some led running board lights, will post pics and tips soon.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”