TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK: Hilux 2.5L Intercooler Install?

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
siner69
Street 2NR

WTK: Hilux 2.5L Intercooler Install?

Postby siner69 » April 29th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Hey Guys,

Can the 2.5L Hilux take an intercooler? Has anyone ever ventured into it? I'm not familiar with the engine makeup or layout of the 2.5 and the 3.0, but I believe the 3.0 has the top mounted intercooler.

Would it be as simple as getting a 3.0 intercooler and installing it, and either cutting the bonnet for the scoop or changing the bonnet?

Would this project cause any significant changes in performance of the vehicle?

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTK: Hilux 2.5L Intercooler Install?

Postby 3stagevtec » May 2nd, 2014, 3:38 am

No major downside to installing an intercooler.. the only thing you could do wrong is install one that is too large and it causes pressure drop. Purchase an intercooler similar in size to the factory one, a little bigger is ok as well, then find the most appropriate location, mount and plumb it in.

Top mounts are susceptible to heat soak and proper engineering will need to go into putting one there. A front mount is more practicable for the DIYer and easier to safely mount.

I can't say if it will cause a significant change in performance, but depending on the efficiency of the cooler, it will be of benefit. If you have a turbo charged vehicle, i will recommend installing an intercooler.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » May 4th, 2014, 11:06 pm

i asked A sales man why the 2.5 L doesn't have a inter cooler he said due to the smaller size ( 2.5 compared to the 3.0 ) engine the Firm ( NOT TOYOTA TRINIDAD ) said its not necessary and if u install one you will get the same or maybe less performance because its designed like that , he said also if u install one you will lose you warranty :|

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 20th, 2014, 6:31 pm

I don't believe the intercooler from the 3.0 will fit directly on the 2.5 without some modification
The location of the turbos are different necessitating some work (its not as simple as just bolting it on and going)

BTW There are versions of the 2.5 with the intercooler being sold by toyota....just not locally. That model has around 16hp/65Nm more than the non-intercooled version

The newer model(2012) 2.5 is also now being eqipped with the same vnt turbo intercooler setup as the 3.0 (max torque is the same but Horsepower is around 145; its 167hp for the 3.0) Again.....NOT SOLD LOCALLY by TTTL but i did see one by maska; it was white with the same 15" alloys but had vnt decals as well as the same bonnet with the hood scoop and intercooler

jpec
Sweet on this forum

Postby jpec » May 20th, 2014, 9:18 pm

I spoke to a few people for advice on whether or not i should install one on my 2.5.... they all said the same thing which was don't do it as i wouldn't have gotten any performance gains, actually might have had a reverse effect (less performance) as fozzy said, the 2kd is designed to not have an intercooler and the 1kd is.. I was told if i wanted to run an intercooler i would have to change the turbo as well..other than that it makes no sense to get one...

4a70
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4a70 » May 20th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I have a 2.5 and i am currently looking into instaling a front mount on the van... you wil not see an increase in performance by just installing the intercooler alone. By installing the ic you can now safely run higher boost pressures than the stock waste gate setting.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 21st, 2014, 7:56 am

The length of piping to do a front Mount versus what Toyota did by having a short distance between turbo and intake makes the big difference in response.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 21st, 2014, 9:13 am

Without evidence, most of the talk is heresay.

Only one way to know and that is to establish benchmarks or baselines with the stock setup, make the modification and then perform the same tests to establish how effective it is.

That's the logic I used on my former subaru project when everybody was talking up their muffler bearing about pressure losses across the core, drop in performance and increased lag etc etc.

I don't know the popular diesel metrics, so look up that first. I assume IAT would be the primary one, and you'll have to dyno before and after to see how a reduction in IAT (if any) would have in performance as well as the cost/benefit.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 21st, 2014, 10:32 am

Install has been performed by another tuner and he documented his observations. ..I am just repeating his findings from what I can recall of that thread

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”