TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Made a road trip to M. Rampersad yesterday & toyota south

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Made a road trip to M. Rampersad yesterday & toyota south

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 18th, 2015, 11:25 am

All the trucks look impressive I think and visually, any would be a solid pick.

Toyota is the oldest tech, with no shift on the fly 4wd eletronic assist technologies, however I considered the leather interior of the 3.0 auto model 2nd most appealing in terms of feel of materials and look. Back seat was cavernous and most comfortable of ll the trucks.

The new Navara had the best interior easily ... The feel of the door close and tail gate is solid, almost European feeling (think Volkswagen).

The Navara is the thilad model that M Rampersad brings, no coils in the rear, 2.5 motor, 190ps in the 7speed auto tiptronic or 6 speed manual according to the website for the VL models.

No under-body armour for the NAvara, this is the biggest disappointment, all the other trucks are well clad underneath.

In person the 4x4 Nav looks quite attractive, very modern.

I'm not feeling the rangers these days primarily because of the multitude of issues being reported and the lack of features offered by the Mc Enarney models.

The NAvara is 308K for those willing to be early adopters, but I think if they have worked out all the issues with the last gen, it's a solid pick.

My next pick would be the Toyota. This was surprisingly attractive, and the 3.0 manual is 249K which apart from the horror stories about the 3.0 power plant and the old school tech ( no 4wd shift on the fly) or electronic assist aids, i think it's a best buy for the money.

Model changes is expected at the end of the year for the Toyota however. So I'd hold out for that and for the facelift on the Mazda, which is the Ranger for less $$ and more features.

But I would not pick up a ranger or mazda until the issues are resolved or the Navara until reviews of reliability from the early adopters are confirmed. Plus to get ALL of the features from the Ranger you need to shell out 350K for the 4x4 3.2 ... Is the Ranger 100K better than the Toyota? I'd say no way, but your mileage may vary.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Made a road trip to M. Rampersad yesterday & toyota sout

Postby civic minded » January 18th, 2015, 3:30 pm

the rangers from Thailand are better than the ones from south africa , so quality would be better, Mc Enerney claimed that they worked out all the bugs in their rangers and trained their personnel on the more modern rangers.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 18th, 2015, 3:44 pm

civic minded wrote:the rangers from Thailand are better than the ones from south africa , so quality would be better, Mc Enerney claimed that they worked out all the bugs in their rangers and trained their personnel on the more modern rangers.

Thanks but see my post from yesterday, it's an international thing, not just Trini ... Same as the problematic D40 (last gen navara):

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=611216

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 18th, 2015, 10:41 pm

civic minded wrote:the rangers from Thailand are better than the ones from south africa , so quality would be better, Mc Enerney claimed that they worked out all the bugs in their rangers and trained their personnel on the more modern rangers.

While you may be correct to a point, Ford Motor Company (through Mc Enearney Motors), in an effort to save face, saves lives (of the same trained personnel from angry customers) and rebuild the customers trust, gave 2 years free parts/service/labour not because they like us or even as a marketing gimmick, but because there are still numerous teething issues with the van, that would hopefully be remedied during a regular service..so much for bugs being worked out..

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » January 19th, 2015, 7:59 am

but still i am bit worried if i buy the ranger that when warranty up - how long will it last?

I really feel to keep my old ranger yes - she faithfull and work everyday with no issues, even after clocking 130K and out of warranty.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 19th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Btw, I must say kudos to you, Mr. Go Slow for doing this..while it may not be as in-depth as the car mag reviews, it's still informative enough for pickups on our market..I was trying to get this done with the 'I eh know what van to buy' thread but the mods didn't see it fit :roll:

@civicminded, I was also in the market for a new pickup, and how unfortunate would i have been had I settled for one of my choices, being the new Ranger or the D40 Navara.. :shock: I'm young and looking to start life wrt house and marriage and what not so I'm in agreement with you or Mr. GS here..a used PK Ranger or Hilux..best bang for buck..if I do go brand new, the fully loaded (and somewhat under-rated) D-Max 4×4 manual variant is $210k OTR..

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 20th, 2015, 10:32 am

Joshie23 wrote:Btw, I must say kudos to you, Mr. Go Slow for doing this..while it may not be as in-depth as the car mag reviews, it's still informative enough for pickups on our market..I was trying to get this done with the 'I eh know what van to buy' thread but the mods didn't see it fit :roll:

@civicminded, I was also in the market for a new pickup, and how unfortunate would i have been had I settled for one of my choices, being the new Ranger or the D40 Navara.. :shock: I'm young and looking to start life wrt house and marriage and what not so I'm in agreement with you or Mr. GS here..a used PK Ranger or Hilux..best bang for buck..if I do go brand new, the fully loaded (and somewhat under-rated) D-Max 4×4 manual variant is $210k OTR..

Thank you sir!

I'll add to this thread as I plan to visit Maska this weekend for a price comparison. I’ll also see if I can get some underbody shots and engine / interior shots to add to the thread as my one plus one phone is a decent travel cam.

As for the Dmax … I had a test drive with a bud last week. Didn’t drive it mind you but wasn’t inspired to do so either. Only the basic model was available so 2.5l motor, spartan interior.
Ride was smoother and more refined than my memory of the last gen DMax. The interior was reasonably roomy, more than my last gen Ranger (2006-2011 model), but it has no advantage over any of the other current generation pickups.

The power of the 2.5l was anemic and frankly uninspiring. Yes I’m comparing to the 3.0 in my Ranger but this is a brand new truck right? And you can get a 3.0 Ranger from my generation for 150K on the used market that’s a proven bulletproof workhorse…

We get from Southern sales none of the features that are supposed to make the Dmax a solid option for the money. No electronic traction control, no electronic stability control, no nothing.

Frankly for 247k just 37k more, I can get a 3.0l manual hilux, with a roomier interior, more power, better resale and subjectively better styling. The Hilux is also without electronic aids, to make it an even more apples to apples comparison.

Personally I disliked the Dmax so much for the money I wouldn’t trade my 2008 Ranger for a new 2.5l Dmax. I’d consider it a downgrade in terms of performance and the cost to transition.

My two cents …

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » January 20th, 2015, 11:21 am

My brother just bought the dmax 3.0 common rail, it is a bit lazy compared to my ranger 3.0 but better on top end and more stable at high speeds on the highway.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 20th, 2015, 12:09 pm

civic minded wrote:My brother just bought the dmax 3.0 common rail, it is a bit lazy compared to my ranger 3.0 but better on top end and more stable at high speeds on the highway.

Thanks for the input brother , what was the price of the 3.0?

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 20th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Wow..really..it's that bad?? I've heard nothing but good things about the D-Max..then again I asked about the fully loaded manual 4X4 so that's supposed to be a little better at least aesthetically..those projectors look hard..but in 2015, why are we still given vehicles without those basic safety features?? I'm hoping it's only the basic model that doesn't have it..as for power, I'll take your word for it, since I'm coming from a 1.3L AD wagon.. :oops: but if the D-Max doesn't tickle my fancy (though at that price it might be hard not to) I can really look into a 3.0 Hilux or a 3.0 PK Ranger and outfit it with a Wildtrak body kit..

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » January 20th, 2015, 8:45 pm

I looked at the 3.0 dmax last year and was told that service is every 50000kms. In this day of technology its hard to believe that we still service a new vehicle every 5000kms. Keep in mind I drive south to north and back everyday. This means that servicing is every 2 months.
Other than that the dmax is more of a work vehicle than a family luxury type pick up.

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » January 20th, 2015, 9:12 pm

I looked at the 3.0 dmax last year and was told that service is every 50000kms. In this day of technology its hard to believe that we still service a new vehicle every 5000kms. Keep in mind I drive south to north and back everyday. This means that servicing is every 2 months.
Other than that the dmax is more of a work vehicle than a family luxury type pick up.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 20th, 2015, 9:18 pm

So which 4X4 has traction control ?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 20th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Mr. GoSlow
You said bullet proof workhorse

Didn't those older model (2006-2011) rangers suffer from heating issues... overheating issues. ... which warped engine heads.

Thanks for taking the pictures... Much appreciated

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » January 20th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Anyone checked out the new Colorado?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 21st, 2015, 6:21 am

kamakazi wrote:Mr. GoSlow

Didn't those older model (2006-2011) rangers suffer from heating issues... overheating issues. ... which warped engine heads.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

I wasnt taking a ranger for free self.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 21st, 2015, 2:49 pm

Yes the WLT engines are known for this, hence the common suggestion to upgrade the radiator.

I was specifically referring to one of the common rail variants 2.5l or 3.0l which have been proven as robust performers.

I myself have my own van over 5 years - never had an issue.
I recommended the same purchase to 3 other colleagues - none of which have ever had an issue.

We have two Navara's in our circle of friends, one is a 4x2 manual, has had a few issues ... Been down for a week at the firm, but not ridiculous.

Another friend has a 4x4 auto, fully loaded model, which has become a rolling joke due to the number of issues and constant repairs he has to undertake to maintain his van.

These are all first hand accounts, not Internet hearsay.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 21st, 2015, 3:11 pm

nervewrecker wrote:

Appreciate your opinion, but could you as well provide some justification for your views?

Some insight as to what you drive and why you choose it would also be helpful.

Thanks much.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 21st, 2015, 5:45 pm

Mr. Go Slow wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Appreciate your opinion, but could you as well provide some justification for your views?

Thanks much.

Have two rangers home.

One 09 3.0 turbo 4x4 with diff leaking, electrical problems with the park light, vehicle shut down twice.
Warranty now up. Vehicle bone stock

Have another that is the previous model.
Transmission went dead, planetary gear shell out and vehicle is babied by two oldsters.
Paint thin and can be scraped off wit your nail.
Interiors faded and vehicle don't park in the sun. One door rubber dry rot
Turbo leaking
Head gasket leaking oil out
Hand brakes cable had burst

2.5L 4x2 turbo, bone stock.

I drive a frontier and I don't pet it. You will swear is not mine. No problems
Td27 non turbo 4 x 2
Does run fyzabad to port of Spain everyday and back home.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » January 22nd, 2015, 10:22 am

nervewrecker wrote:
Mr. Go Slow wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Thanks much.

Have two rangers home.

One 09 3.0 turbo 4x4 with diff leaking, electrical problems with the park light, vehicle shut down twice.
Warranty now up. Vehicle bone stock

Have another that is the previous model.
Transmission went dead, planetary gear shell out and vehicle is babied by two oldsters.
Paint thin and can be scraped off wit your nail.
Interiors faded and vehicle don't park in the sun. One door rubber dry rot
Turbo leaking
Head gasket leaking oil out
Hand brakes cable had burst

2.5L 4x2 turbo, bone stock.

I drive a frontier and I don't pet it. You will swear is not mine. No problems
Td27 non turbo 4 x 2
Does run fyzabad to port of Spain everyday and back home.

Thanks bro sorry to hear of your issues ... But appreciate you sharing, will help someone make a better informed decision.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 22nd, 2015, 10:42 am

Thats just some issues with them. Have more but I know people with rangers and dont seem to have any issues whatsoever. Dont know if they have problems and the owners just dont want to admit it.

One thing though, they dont run short on power. Those WLT have power for days! Second to last model seems to have fewer issues as I said. Nobody knows why the hell it shut down twice but it seems to be ok otherwise.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 22nd, 2015, 3:30 pm

nice pics

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » January 22nd, 2015, 9:03 pm

it really a case of bad eggs i believe cause there will be problems with all brands - you as the consumer have to decide which one you can deal with.
I had a 06 ranger WLT auto 4x4 - 8 years and not even a overheating incident, and mind you this van runs highway - south to north east everyday.
Right now the commonrail 3.0 clocking 5 years- had a head gasket issue - firmed changed everything under warranty and thats about it.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » January 22nd, 2015, 9:05 pm

Mr. Go Slow wrote:
civic minded wrote:My brother just bought the dmax 3.0 common rail, it is a bit lazy compared to my ranger 3.0 but better on top end and more stable at high speeds on the highway.

Thanks for the input brother , what was the price of the 3.0?

cant remember the exact figure but it much less than the current 3.0 out there - i think it was 249K.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 22nd, 2015, 10:34 pm

civic minded wrote:it really a case of bad eggs i believe cause there will be problems with all brands - you as the consumer have to decide which one you can deal with.
I had a 06 ranger WLT auto 4x4 - 8 years and not even a overheating incident, and mind you this van runs highway - south to north east everyday.
Right now the commonrail 3.0 clocking 5 years- had a head gasket issue - firmed changed everything under warranty and thats about it.

I think it could be this because I know a wildtrack that makes the same run as me and he dont pet it. At a glance the owner doesn't seem go have issues but only once we spoke.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 23rd, 2015, 9:23 am

only a small bit of Navaras had issues as well. so too the high spec Frontiers

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 23rd, 2015, 9:28 am

Heard from a good source the D40 navs just not holding up.
They get NP300 Frontiers now, waiting for a review on those. sadly those not available to the public.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 23rd, 2015, 9:37 am

my D40 taking quite a good beating without issue. cant kill that Frontier either.

i rate them both from my experiences.

is the new Nav on the same chassis as the D40?

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » February 10th, 2015, 9:21 pm

People need to remember something too, these vans are coming with hi-tech engines with computers that control everything. These engines need to run on a certain grade of diesel that we just simply do not get in trinidad. This is why additives are so important. I buy amsoil additives by the cases and use them everytime i fillup.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”