TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

my Diesel quality study

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: my Diesel quality study

Postby rottedv » October 1st, 2015, 5:49 am

Interesting read. To bad about GTL. Dem playing d ass. Team Loco, did you do the upgrades to your fuel systems? What upgrades did you do? How does the van performance compare with before these upgrades? Just bought a diesel van once again. The guy said he would change oil every month regardless of mileage. Shell 15w40 all the time and this engine is the cleanest burning engine I have seen in a long time (Toyota 5L non turbo). Not sure if it was where he was fulling up or the oil change intervals. What about that tank and fuel device and maybe a coalescent water separator inline to the fuel pump on the engine?

ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ShaKarz » October 1st, 2015, 10:51 am

MG Man wrote:
Big Z wrote:Why all the fuss over the sulphur content? I really dont understand.

a by-product of burning diesel is sulphuric acid....the more sulphur, the more acid....this throws off the TBN of the oil (pushes it towards acidity)....this has a negative impact on engine oil, and can potentially harm the engine over time....two solutions exist: shorten oil drain intervals, or find a high-TBN oil that is more resistant to the effects of sulphur.....for our diesel, a TBN of 12 is generally required in commercial applications.....problem is no synthetic 5W40 or 30 diesel oil has that high a TBN number....so you're left with 3,000km oil change intervals :-/

I'm using valvoline extreme blue but I'm seeing its high tbn over 12 gets to below 6 after 5000 km so which oil you recommend that has high tbn & maintains it for around 7500km? Or do I have to change at 5000km

legoRB
Riding on 16's

Postby legoRB » October 1st, 2015, 11:01 am

Big Z wrote:I would recommend the Amsoil Signature Series 10W30 for that application.

The Dealer recommended Shell Rimula R6 ME I believe. Thinking to stick to this. Any further input on choosing between the two??

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 5th, 2015, 8:23 am

/[/quote]
I'm using valvoline extreme blue but I'm seeing its high tbn over 12 gets to below 6 after 5000 km so which oil you recommend that has high tbn & maintains it for around 7500km? Or do I have to change at 5000km[/quote]

Where you getting your figures from?
Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 is TBN 10
Premium Blue Classic is TBN 12
Which begs the question, how did you determine a TBN of 6 at 5k?

ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ShaKarz » October 6th, 2015, 1:05 am

MG Man wrote:I'm using valvoline extreme blue but I'm seeing its high tbn over 12 gets to below 6 after 5000 km so which oil you recommend that has high tbn & maintains it for around 7500km? Or do I have to change at 5000km

it was a lab study done on the oil I saw on a forum online, they took a sample of it after 5k and ran tests, heard a lot of rumors about Valvoline oil not being to advertised specs so I don't know what to believe but im thinking to switch back to amsoil 15w40 diesel oil my next service

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 7th, 2015, 12:00 pm

ShaKarz wrote:
MG Man wrote:I'm using valvoline extreme blue but I'm seeing its high tbn over 12 gets to below 6 after 5000 km so which oil you recommend that has high tbn & maintains it for around 7500km? Or do I have to change at 5000km

it was a lab study done on the oil I saw on a forum online, they took a sample of it after 5k and ran tests, heard a lot of rumors about Valvoline oil not being to advertised specs so I don't know what to believe but im thinking to switch back to amsoil 15w40 diesel oil my next service

well again, Extreme 5W40 does not come in a 12 TBN so I don;t know how valid that information source is....locally, I know of tests done on Premium Blue Classic, which is a 12TBN 15W40, and all tests have been very favourable, with oil drains extending beyond what they would normally do...and all tests were done by an independent lab in Arizona

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » October 8th, 2015, 8:35 pm

MG, was it you that sent some oil from your new vehicle for an analysis a little while ago? Can't remember seeing an update on that.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 9th, 2015, 8:23 am

was going to, procrastinated, vehicle went in for service
:-/
Gonna try BMW long life 04 5W30 in the car this weekend and see how it goes...will try to send out a sample after 5k and see what they say
Since I have very little experience with diesel, does anyone have advice on which stations are likely to have lower odds of contaminated fuel? My only limitation is places like Brentwood have diesel pump nozzles the same diameter as their gas nozzles, which can't work in my car....the old Medford has the slightly fatter nozzle, so it can open the clips that release the filler neck flap... And what if any additives are on the market to help prolong injector and pump life?

ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ShaKarz » October 9th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Brentwood is d best bet as it new.. diesel kleen, red line 85 plus, amsoil cetane additive, stanadyn diesel additive are the ones I think are good & safe from all iv used.. really feel a difference with amsoil cetane additive , works better than vp racing cetanium for me..

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 9th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I got a bad tank of fuel from the popular station by cocorite...
Been buying from np corner tragarete and french st and much better

I can tell pretty easily as i drive lady young every day and my hilux is manual

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » October 9th, 2015, 7:38 pm

You want a diesel oil sample for analysis?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 11th, 2015, 11:24 am

ShaKarz wrote:Brentwood is d best bet as it new.. diesel kleen, red line 85 plus, amsoil cetane additive, stanadyn diesel additive are the ones I think are good & safe from all iv used.. really feel a difference with amsoil cetane additive , works better than vp racing cetanium for me..

where do you buy your amsoil additive?
Brentwood pump nozzles too small to work in my fuel filler neck :-/

Pugboy I'll try the one on Tragarete next week...practically around the corner form my office...hope it has a euro-friendly nozzle
Anybody have feedback on Sanctifier's station by Ellerslie?

ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ShaKarz » October 13th, 2015, 11:08 pm

MG Man wrote:
ShaKarz wrote:Brentwood is d best bet as it new.. diesel kleen, red line 85 plus, amsoil cetane additive, stanadyn diesel additive are the ones I think are good & safe from all iv used.. really feel a difference with amsoil cetane additive , works better than vp racing cetanium for me..

where do you buy your amsoil additive?
Brentwood pump nozzles too small to work in my fuel filler neck :-/

Pugboy I'll try the one on Tragarete next week...practically around the corner form my office...hope it has a euro-friendly nozzle
Anybody have feedback on Sanctifier's station by Ellerslie?

Where ever I get it, autorama, Roger auto chem, hosein auto world, auto partners

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 14th, 2015, 9:02 am

I was getting blue smoke on startup (which according to toyota can be due to dirty injectors) and rough idling.

The first time that happened it got so bad I carried it by Toyota and they cleaned the injectors at a cost of close to 1000.00 dollars. The filter was in one hot mess as well.

When the blue smoke started coming back I began using Unipet diesel cleaner (11.00 a bottle) every full up and van running smooth now with not even a trace of blue smoke. I also change the filter much more regularly as well.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 14th, 2015, 11:35 am

I real picky about what additives I dump in my car...euros are frickin mental

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 14th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I doing 210,000 Km . Since that injector episode no more problem and that was adout 150,000 km ago. Never had any fuel problems again even with our bad diesel I staying right there.

Van actually puling exactly as new.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 14th, 2015, 11:07 pm

our diesel has a habit of killing euro diesel pumps....audi won't even send diesel cars here anymore

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”