Forums

Procedure for Importing a Vehicle

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Challenger
Ricer

Re: Procedure for Importing a Vehicle

Postby Challenger » June 24th, 2014, 3:54 pm

how does the process work with regards to bringing an whole vehicle to use it for parts??

Jet
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jet » June 24th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Js buy a car apply for thw import lisence pay ur fees an wen it reach d port dey cut the car in half bribe ah custom officer an ull get to drive out wit it but on a flat bed wrecker

brandon123
Riding on 13's

Postby brandon123 » June 29th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Okay I want to share...

Motor Vehicle Tax: This is a checked by the CC of your engine's capacity.
The More CCs, the higher the tax is. It is checked like this:

1599 or Less $5 per cc ($3.75 for Personal import)
1600 to 1799 $8 per cc ($6 for Personal import)
1800 to 1999 $15 per cc (11.25 for Personal Import)
2000 to 2499 $25 per cc (18.75 for Personal Import)
2500 to 2999 $30 per cc (22.50 for Personal Import)
3000 to 3499 $35 per cc (26.25 for Personal Import)
3500 or above $50 per cc (37.50 for Personal Import)

You pay 75% of the Motor Vehicle Tax if you are personally importing the vehicle yourself.

Duty: This is also checked by the CC of your engine.
The more ccs, the higher the Duty. It is check like this:

Up to 1599cc 25%
1600 to 2000 30%
2001 to 3000 35%
3001 and Above 45%

Value Added Tax : Trinidad and Tobago's Vat is 15%.

The formula for calculating Is (CIF+Duty+MVT)+VAT

CIF: Cost, Insurance and Freight
CNF: Cost and Freight
FOB: Freight on Board.

Some website give prices in Fob. You have to ask them for the CIF or CNF..

Example: A tiida is priced $3,609Usd FOB and with the CIF added, it is now priced at $5,307usd

Personal Imports: A personal/private imported vehicle CAN'T be transfer and should not be sold within 3 years of it's purchase.

Here is A Example base on A CNF of $8000USD and 1490cc. Credits to Jet
(8000 x 6.45) $ 51,600.00
Duty (25% of $51,600) $ 12,900.00
Motor vehicle tax (1490 x 3.75)
$ 5,587.50
Total cost before vat
$70,087.50
VALUE ADDED TAX
$10,513.13
COST AFTER ALL TAXES
$80,600.63
BROKER & MISC FEES
$2,000.00
TOTAL COST $ 82,600.63

Good roll on roll off sites.

Beforward http://www.beforward.jp/
Kobe Motors http://www.kobemotor.com
Kobemotor's Auction site http://auc.kobemotor.com/
ICM http://www.icmjapan.net/
Sayuri http://www.sayuri.co.jp/en/pages
Tradecarview http://www.tradecarview.com/ *Check the seller's rating and feed First.

With Kobemotors u can browse auctions and get Kobemotors to purchase it for you.

Hope this answer questions...

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » June 29th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Nice post Brandon. Thanks. What do you mean you pay 75% of the MVT if you are importing personally ? For example for a 1,500 MVT =$3.75 x 1500 or $3.75 x 1500 x 75 % ?
Also, can you explain the process when the ship arrives at the port in Trinidad ? Exactly from clearing to licensing ?

Thanks !

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby shottah_crew » June 29th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Prince2424 wrote:Nice post Brandon. Thanks. What do you mean you pay 75% of the MVT if you are importing personally ? For example for a 1,500 MVT =$3.75 x 1500 or $3.75 x 1500 x 75 % ?
Also, can you explain the process when the ship arrives at the port in Trinidad ? Exactly from clearing to licensing ?

Thanks !

From what I can tell, the bracketed prices are the prices representing the 75% for personal imports. No need to rework, just use the prices in the brackets.

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » June 29th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Ok, what about the second part of me question - what's the procedure when the vehicle arrives at the port to licensing ? And not just a vague response well u pay the MVT, Duty and Vat then take vehicle to get registered.

Exactly step by step !

brandon123
Riding on 13's

Postby brandon123 » June 30th, 2014, 1:52 am

I took this from a post from before.... Credits goes to src1983
A citizen of T&T is allowed 1 car every three years. During this time the car cannot be sold or transferred.

You should ensure you have access to USD. Most of these sites will quote in USD (this was my major problem...and prolonged the transaction for 2 weeks)

I used the following supplier CARCHS Co. Ltd.

When you find the car you want (car must not be over 6 years). Message the seller and negotiate a price I opted and used the paytrade system for security reasons (information is on the site)

Once you both agree on the price, the seller will initiate the transaction by providing you with an invoice. This is payable in 1-2 business days (pay close attention to the time in Japan)

They would send you the wire instructions for you to wire the funds (ensure that you send the charges so the full invoices amount reaches the sellers bank)

Once the seller confirms receipt of funds they would initiate the de-registration and shipping process...

Once they had de-registered and organize the shipping they would send you the documents via post and scanned email

1. Invoice (I did not receive a caricom invoice)

2. Bill of lading (3 copies)

3. De- registration certificate

4. Year of manufacture letter (ENSURE THAT YOU RECEIVE THIS)

Copy all documents and go the TTMA Building in Barataria ground floor and apply for the license. It would be ready in about 1-2 weeks

Pay close attention to when the vehicle is arriving and secure the services of a broker to clear the car.

Once cleared you can wreck it home, or drive it if you can get D plates.

and that's it.

Now I did everything regarding the sale in Japan through the site. It is possible to contact the supplier separately, but it will be more risky as the site offers security.

If you do decide to use pay trade, it comes at an extra cost

DISCLAIMER: this was based on my experience, and I cannot say that your experience will be like mine. Be wise and cautious

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » June 30th, 2014, 6:20 am

Thanks Brandon. I have already purchased the vehicle and obtained the import liscense. The vehicle will be here in the Country in abt a week. I have a broker.
Would like to know how you clear the vehicle, to how u register, to how u get the tyre a checked etc. Full details

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » June 30th, 2014, 8:58 am

Morning Tuners,
for those who do self imports, we provide a complete service from Port clearance to to registration and delivery to you, serviced and detailed.

We also provide paint touch up services and accessory supply and installation upon request.

If any interest, please do contact us.

ALIS
www.facebook.com/automotivelogisticsTT

brandon123
Riding on 13's

Postby brandon123 » June 30th, 2014, 8:37 pm

A-a yuh not playing boy.... what u bought and from who?.... u kno yuh have to put up some pics when u get it.... this thread is to show and support the ppl that wanna import their own car but is afraid of something..... anyway... the broker will help u with the clearing of the vehicle... inspection and registration will be do at the licensing office Port Of Spain

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » June 30th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Lol, I met with my broker today and he explained the process a bit. But still don't really understand. Guess I'll know for sure next week. Knowledge is power! End up savings should be abt 25k after everything.

brandon123
Riding on 13's

Postby brandon123 » July 1st, 2014, 10:17 am

Ok ok.... Good luck... Hope everything goes great

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 1st, 2014, 10:46 am

Thanks Brandon.

Tech Guy
Riding on 13's

Postby Tech Guy » July 1st, 2014, 10:26 pm

Prince2424 where you bought your car from bro I want to import one for myself but not sure who to buy it from can you help me with some info please and link me with the broker contact number thank you.

Brandon123 great info bro it clarifies a lot thanks.

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 1st, 2014, 11:15 pm

Purchased my vehicle from Sbt Japan

spanglish1
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby spanglish1 » July 1st, 2014, 11:40 pm

The application process for import licence has now changed. A broker would now have to apply for the import licence for you. Please visit the TTMA Trade Licence Unit for further information. And also it is mandatory by law that goods over $20k must acquire an import licence through a licensed customs broker and clearing must be done by them as well. The process is now done online as of the 1st July 2014. All hard copy import licences applied for prior to this is now null and void and the process must be done over.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 1st, 2014, 11:49 pm

Whogard!!

Tech Guy
Riding on 13's

Postby Tech Guy » July 2nd, 2014, 7:03 am

Prince2424 wrote:Purchased my vehicle from Sbt Japan

Thanks bro

Tech Guy
Riding on 13's

Postby Tech Guy » July 2nd, 2014, 7:07 am

spanglish1 wrote:The application process for import licence has now changed. A broker would now have to apply for the import licence for you. Please visit the TTMA Trade Licence Unit for further information. And also it is mandatory by law that goods over $20k must acquire an import licence through a licensed customs broker and clearing must be done by them as well. The process is now done online as of the 1st July 2014. All hard copy import licences applied for prior to this is now null and void and the process must be done over.

Is this really true bro?

spanglish1
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby spanglish1 » July 3rd, 2014, 5:41 am

Yes i have a vehicle coming for a customer and we applied for the import licence some weeks ago only to be told once the car is arriving after the 1st July 2014 the old import licence would be null and void. You would not be able to use this to clear your vehicle! Because of smart men applying for cars under people's names without their knowledge they have now enforced the law. So I have passed it onto my broker who deals with all my imports. They may just charge a lil extra for the hassle of applying for it but you dont have a choice anyway. Please visit TTMA for brochures on this.

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » July 3rd, 2014, 7:09 am

spanglish1 wrote:Yes i have a vehicle coming for a customer and we applied for the import licence some weeks ago only to be told once the car is arriving after the 1st July 2014 the old import licence would be null and void. You would not be able to use this to clear your vehicle! Because of smart men applying for cars under people's names without their knowledge they have now enforced the law. So I have passed it onto my broker who deals with all my imports. They may just charge a lil extra for the hassle of applying for it but you dont have a choice anyway. Please visit TTMA for brochures on this.

Yup Spang, we had to redo all import licenses for customers whose vehicles are coming in for this month. Luckily we can do it in-house online as we got the approval to do the applications on behalf of individuals because we have in-house brokerage.

The move was also in line with the C&E requirement.

But just to confirm, all existing licenses have now become invalid after July 1st.

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 3rd, 2014, 7:15 am

What is the procedure to apply for the new one ? My vehicle is coming in next Monday and my import lisense was applied for in June ?

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » July 3rd, 2014, 7:33 am

Prince2424 wrote:What is the procedure to apply for the new one ? My vehicle is coming in next Monday and my import license was applied for in June ?

It now has to be done online! You better have it done quickly to avoid delays and C&E hiccups. I do not understand why they accepted your license in June if they knew that it would be useless after June 30th?

Contact a broker, go online to the ministry's website (ttbizlink) or go to a ttbizlink office...

ALIS

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 3rd, 2014, 8:17 am

Confirmed, I called the Ministry of Trade & Industry, they said that it is no longer valid. You are required to bring back your import license and re-apply on TTBIZ. You must have a ttconnect ID, thankfully I have one.

I called my broker, however he already lodged the documents with Customs, he said he will know by this afternoon if they accepted it ( Stamped it ) or if to re-apply.

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » July 3rd, 2014, 8:51 am

They should be able to accept if it's already lodged.... Hopefully

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 3rd, 2014, 8:57 am

Thanks to all turners who keep this post updated.

Even my broker was unaware of this change - saying it was not published in the papers.

The thing is my TTConnect ID was applied through the Company not as an individual, so I need to visit the office to re-apply as an Individual.

He said he will collect it and return to me to cancel and re-apply

He also mentioned of some N number in the online application process.

How do you know who is the local shipping agency ? He told me mine was some Maritime Services ?

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » July 3rd, 2014, 9:44 am

The local shipping agency will be the local agent according to which Shipping Line Bill of Lading you are holding. Your broker should be able to help with that if you are paying him to clear.

As for keeping the post updated, we have no problem in offering advice, some people prefer to go the way of self imports, some don't.

What I can say is that if you guys are buying direct, from SBT, ICM whoever, we do offer a service catered to clearing, servicing, registering and detailing before delivery. No hassle of running around or wondering.. As for USD availability, we can also provide that via our bankers for easy one time payment of funds direct.

We can even have the unit pre-inspected independently in Japan before shipping!

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 3rd, 2014, 9:48 am

Thanks Alis. I was using the broker from the Company I am employed, else I would have engaged your service to clear and had given him all the documents and signed some this week for him to clear.

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » July 3rd, 2014, 10:00 am

Prince2424 wrote:Thanks Alis. I was using the broker from the Company I am employed, else I would have engaged your service to clear and had given him all the documents and signed some this week for him to clear.

No probs Prince, it is what it is LOL. Good luck and hope you get a good unit though. WE have come across some who were not exactly thrilled when they got what they purchased on their own, but we try to assist wherever.

Swing by for a free check if you need, I know we spoke via PM before, but it wont hurt to give it a look over for you, if you have the time.

If you still need to register, service and clean up, well...... check us out! :)

Immortal24
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Immortal24 » July 3rd, 2014, 3:54 pm

Notice to Importers/Exporters
Importers/Exporters are advised that with effect from Tuesday 01 July 2014 the
Trade Licence Unit (TLU) of the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Investment and
Communications (MTIIC) shall only accept electronic applications via TTBizLinK
(www.ttbizlink.gov.tt) for Import/Export Licences if the total
consignment/customs value to be imported/exported is more than TT$20,000.
Any importer/exporter seeking to clear goods which require an Import/Export
Licence from the Trade Licence Unit of the MTIIC with a consignment value in
excess of TT$20,000 shall therefore only be able toutilise an electronic licence in
order to complete an e-C82 Customs Declaration in the Customs Border Control
System operated by the Customs and Excise Division.
Persons holding Import/Export licences with the above consignment value, which
were not generated electronically through TTBizLinkwill not be able to use same
to complete an e-C82 Customs Declaration after June 30, 2014. These persons
are required to reapply using TTBizlink. .
This move is to enhance the trade facilitation environment in Trinidad and Tobago
by reducing the steps in the Customs Clearance process.
Information on how to register for TTBizLinK can befound on www.ttbizlink.gov.tt
Ministry of Trade, Industry, Investment and Communications
10 June 2014

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”