TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Side B Runs - Lopinot to Blanchisseuse to Las Cuevas Trail

Plan out, organise and post pics and vids of your OFF-ROAD adventures. Clubs, crews and associations are welcomed!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Side B Runs - Lopinot to Blanchisseuse to Las Cuevas Trail

Postby 3stagevtec » June 26th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Jeremy Mohd wrote:Think we need to hear from the older heads on the Icacas run before we set the date for our run.
May 1st is too close, May 8th is Mothers day; alluh men should be home.

The 15th / 22nd / 29th all seem viable dates to me..

Blanchi

The blanchi trail is dry for the most part, except for one spot, where you will need your 4X4. That is the bend right before going up the hill where LH got stuck last time.

We/Anyone with a 'normal' width vehicle, CANNOT reach the beach. Brian and myself went all the way to where you can drive, and then there is about a 3 - 3 1/2 wide section, where either side is down into a river. You can walk about 7 - 8 mins from here to a beach. LH not Paria beach, that is about an hour and 45 walk further along the trail from where you can drive.
There are deep ruts along the trail, all passable if you pick your line right. If you dont, you will get your diff hung up. If rain fallss.. the trail would get muddy, and the clay would get like frigging glue. I have a couple contacts up there I can get weather updates from coming closer to the date.

Brain has a friend who was taking pics, he will post them up.

Cuevas

The Cuevas trail just looks like good fun. That was last Thursday. Its wet and muddy. I still think we can try it.. Maybe wont be able to make it all the way. Cuevas beach was reallll nice though. Calm, cool and clean. The best place I think we can end a run at.

lighthammer wrote:Proposed next Mini-Run with Side B - BLANCHISSEUSE TRAIL + LAS CUEVAS TRAIL & BEACH LIME(s).

Tentative Date: - Sunday 15th May 2011

Meeting point: - Made available to those on the roll call list only
Meeting time: - 7:00AM
Departure time: - 7:30AM Sharp

Put your name on the list if you coming.

Roll Call:
1. Jeremy
2. Droppa
3. Lighthammer
4. 3stagevtec

*Safety & Prep*
(pay ATTENTION!)
- Recovery gear includ. ropes, snatch straps, shovels, pitchfork
- personal safety gear, including boots, flashlight(s)
- First Aid Kit
- Walkie talkies - if you have, bring them
- food, drinks, snacks
- Medicines & misc items (sunscreen, bug-repellent, etc), maybe a pack of matches (never know!)

lighthammer wrote:i believe the 4x2 might just be able to make it up that first hill yunno, if the trail dry enough... if anything we can pull him up. He can probably even get past that huge rut that i got stuck in (again, if the trail dry enough) and up to where we parked and decided to turn around. From that big rut the trail is actually not that bad - i went through in 4x2.

Just a couple memories from that trail, back in Dec 2010

I got stuck the worst on that day. Height of wet-season, running on highway tyres, and hardly any trail experience. First time I ever see a big pickup get rocked out of a ditch.
(and now I remember where all them dents on the left side of the tray came from!)
If them guys had pushed any harder, they'd have rocked the nav straight off the cliff! (just off the trail on the driver's side, was a 30-foot drop into a ditch which led directly to the ocean).

I'd sure like to try that trail again, see if the Pirelli Scorpions can pass that test :D.
Can't wait!

(and at the end of the journey, my reward of the delicious, golden brown bake & shark will be even the more sweeter!)

brianr20v wrote:The 15th / 22nd / 29th all seem viable dates to me..

Blanchi

The blanchi trail is dry for the most part, except for one spot, where you will need your 4X4. That is the bend right before going up the hill where LH got stuck last time.

We/Anyone with a 'normal' width vehicle, CANNOT reach the beach. Brian and myself went all the way to where you can drive, and then there is about a 3 - 3 1/2 wide section, where either side is down into a river. You can walk about 7 - 8 mins from here to a beach. LH not Paria beach, that is about an hour and 45 walk further along the trail from where you can drive.
There are deep ruts along the trail, all passable if you pick your line right. If you dont, you will get your diff hung up. If rain fallss.. the trail would get muddy, and the clay would get like frigging glue. I have a couple contacts up there I can get weather updates from coming closer to the date.

Brain has a friend who was taking pics, he will post them up.

Pics from blanchi trail
CIMG3355.jpg

droppa wrote:Proposed next Mini-Run with Side B - BLANCHISSEUSE TRAIL + LAS CUEVAS TRAIL & BEACH LIME(s).

Date: - Sunday 22nd May 2011
Meeting point: - Made available to those on the roll call list only
Meeting time: - 7:00AM
Departure time: - 7:30AM Sharp

Put your name on the list if you coming.

Roll Call:
1. Jeremy
2. Droppa
3. Lighthammer
4. 3stagevtec

*Safety & Prep* (pay ATTENTION!)
- Recovery gear includ. ropes, snatch straps, shovels, pitchfork
- personal safety gear, including boots, flashlight(s)
- First Aid Kit
- Walkie talkies - if you have, bring them
- food, drinks, snacks
- Medicines & misc items (sunscreen, bug-repellent, etc), maybe a pack of matches (never know!)

3stagevtec wrote:The Blachisseuse Trail - current condition

4x2 can make it to the house at the top of the hill / start of the trail.. The owner of the house is a very friendly and helpful guy! Will be safe to leave your vehicles by him.. after that point it's 4x4 only! An L200 went there, got stuck and had to stay the night! (He had HW tyres, not sure if he had 4x4).

If we get enough sun, the 4x2 guys can drive further in..

Blanchi Bridge..

Woah boy!

Imagine this wet!

This is the narrow section, IMPOSSIBLE to pass..

This friggin beach! Too Awesome!!

Straight ahead is a two hour hike to another beach that is even more awesome! After that beach is another 10min walk to a waterfall I believe..

The beach!

3stagevtec wrote:and now the best part... Las Cuevas Trail!!

FUN! FUN! FUN!

Yes it is difficult, but not impossible.. Once you know what the terrain is like, a lil momentum + lots of power and you making it through.. You can let your inner child loose here and just romp in the mud! My only advice, leave your damn windows up!! :lol:

The very start..

Not as easy as it appears.. trust me..

Splash!! Woohoo!!

damn, not enough momentum..

Now to turn around and do it again!!

lighthammer wrote:Right, so the guys from Side B have discussed the details of the run on Sunday through Lopinot/Blanchi/Las Cuevas. Just a few points to be made here....

1. *** MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO COME ON TIME!! *****

The meeting time is 7:00AM and we'll be leaving at 7:30am sharp!!!.

This is because we need as much time as possible to tackle the three trails that we'll be exploring on Sunday. Lopinot trail is challenging (though quite doable) - esp. for the 4x2 guys. There's a hill-climb and some rough-road to cover, hence we'll need some time to tackle these obstacles. Plus the drive up to blanchisseuse and up to Spring Bridge is a long one.

Please try your best to prepare the day before, and get some sleep on Saturday night so that you can wake up on time to reach the meeting point at 7:00AM.

2. Come prepared to get stuck. For the guys who ran with us before, basically we gonna enter territory that's similar to Santa Flora, but has less slippery mud and more gravelly base underneath the mud. Your prep list should include the following:

- shovels
- pitchfork
- grating
- tow rope and shackles/D-Rings (if you have them)
- tow chain
- air-compressor (we plan to air-down the tyres on a couple sections of the run)
- walkie talkies (bring them if you have any)
- medicines & sunscreen & insect repellent
- food, drinks, cooler (enough to feed your van passengers at least)
- camera, all batteries charged

3. Safety is of paramount importance. There have been stories of people getting robbed on the Las Cuevas trail before - but AFAIK it's because they didn't prepare or got isolated from the group. So it's important to keep together, try not to wander off on your own without telling someone where you're going (including bathroom stops!!) and always alert one of the Side-B guys or someone with a Radio if you 're going off somewhere or if you see someone/something suspicious. Keep your cellphone with you at all times. Remember - Safety in Numbers.

4. 10 minutes before we depart from the meeting point, 3stagevtec and myself will give you guys a quick safety briefing and a run-down of the trails, with what to expect, how to tackle the obstacles, etc.... We'll organize the convoy and space out the trucks in the most efficient way. The rest of the side-B guys will have radios/walkie talkies, and we'll all act as Marshalls for the convoy since it's so large.

5. This is gonna be a family-oriented trip, and many of the drivers are gonna be bringing their family members along. This means NO ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION ALLOWED, not by drivers nor passengers either. Drunkeness and wild-behaviour are not allowed. If it happens and you get warned, and it persists, you'll be left behind to fend for yourself. One drunken person can't be allowed to jeopardize the group - we'll be in a remote location, far away from any kind of professional. Plus with all the kicks and adrenaline flowing, we won't even need alcohol to have major fun, as the previous guys who ran with us can tell you.

Of course this is not to say we not gonna have fun - there'll be ditches to cross, mud holes to power-through, hills to climb, and deep ruts to navigate. We just gonna do it in a controlled manner. A little horseplay here and there is no big thing - but we as responsible off-roaders and responsible drivers have to maintain control at all times.

For the newer, less experienced guys, I'd highly recommend that you take a read of this thread and learn a little bit about off-roading technique:

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=373829&p=5341586#p5341586

This is an off-road driving technique thread that I created to help everyone learn how to drive off-road. It's quite different from driving on-road, and even from driving on a dirt path. Be smart and pro-active, learn how to drive properly and show off your skills on the trail.

So that's pretty much it for now, I'm very excited about the run on sunday. Please pray for good weather, we don't want to turn-around again and we want to go all the way!!

See allyuh bright and early on Sunday morning!
"Keep on truckin'"

lighthammer wrote:3stage - ah now buy an air compressor, so we go air dong nah, esp that trick rutty hill in blanchi.

And I also wired up my rollbar foglights, so we ready for a night-operation in case we end up there after the sun sets.

Looks like rain this weekend guys, but we are still 100% go.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Side B Runs - Lopinot to Blanchisseuse to Las Cuevas Tra

Postby 3stagevtec » June 26th, 2011, 4:46 pm

lighthammer wrote:Good run yesterday fellas! Was truly epic.

Basic rundown of the run:

- met in airport np station early, left a bit late for stragglers
- passed through lopinot road and went all the way up the road till we reach the trail
- went up and through the lopinot trail, which is basically up and through the northern range, until we reach blanchi main road. Had a couple of scary hill climbs, saw a donkey and a monkey on the way, but it was a bess trail!!! Not too hard, but not too easy either :)
- reach spring bridge, waited for the stragglers. Cuddles battery died, had to swap batteries from a next frontier. Started up and headed into blanchi trail
- trail was bess! Good, hard surface with one slushy mud pit, the big ruts were ok now.
- walked to blanchi beach. That narrow section we talked about was truly too narrow for a hilux or landie to pass. Blanchi beach was besss!!! Very nice scenery, lots of rocks to climb plus soothing rock-pools to dip in.

- on the way out, had our first casualty, civicminded sprained his ankle. Got out my brand new field-surgery kit and amputated his leg........... Just kidding!!! Gave him a painkiller and wrapped his ankle up. He had to go home afterwards.
- on the way back out, I got stuck in the slushy pit and started to slide towards the drain (and the 20-foot drop to the ocean!). Had to drop into 4LO to lock the front and back diffs of the navara (4H still had too much slip for the lsd's) and 2nd gear.... And powered out of that pit like a BOSS!! The scorpions dug down and found a bite in the hard gravel underneath... And sting up the trail!!

- and then onto las cuevas, where the fun really began. First half of the group went in and to the beach, then jeremy got stuck in the second mud hole. He made it pretty far but his diffs got hung up. The jimny on 35's came and pulled him out, then a 2.2L TAY hilux tried (on 33" super swampers, I belive) and got stuck badly too. 3stage had to winch him out from behind.
- another jimny came along ad got stuck like a real @ss. First he came from behind and tried to go around the stuck hilux, and he got stuck. Jumped out and tried to lock his front diffs, but he couldn't engage 4WD. So he was spinning his 35" tractor tyres in the mud like a real fool - and he wouldn't listen to our instructions and tried to go brave like a real kant. He stick real good and the other jimny tried to tow him out but either his tow hook snapped or the bolt on the shackle sheared. He got out eventually.

- we all went to cuevas beach, some bathed, me and a few others went and did donuts on the beach. Limed for a while, then most of us were ready to go home. Unfortunately some of Rutless Tiida's ride-alongs got separated from the group, had a bit of a panic while looking for them but found them eventually.

- 3stage, myself and a couple others went to get bake and shark and chilled on tyrico afterwards till sunset. Finally get to dip into the ocean, was really nice! Water was cool and extra clear that day.

- but wait, that's not all! We decided that the run was still on! (We still had 2 members of side-b, me and 3stage, so that was enough to continue the run). After tyrico, we discussed plans over the walkie talkies while driving out and decided to go for Haagen Das in ellerslie plaza..... Followed by Pirates Of The Caribbean 4, in movietowne POS.
Sat down in wet clothes in freezing movietheatre, to watch a mediocre movie with Johnny Depp running around for 1 1/2 hours.

Only after the movie did the run end, around 11pm :).

So all in all, a fantastic run, we met all our goals, had lots of excitement, only one minor casualty, no damage to any vehicles, and we all had a blast.

** this is a special point here, since it's the FIRST TIME EVER that Side B ever made it to a beach on a run!! All the other times we had to turn back, mostly cuz of bad weather. It was a sweet victory to see that Blanchi beach, on the same trail where Side B was first formed or rather, "born", and my Navara was baptized!

So congrats to the guys and gals of Side B, we made it!

Pics to follow soon.
Keep On Truckin' !!!!

3stagevtec wrote:Image

3stagevtec wrote:Image

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 26th, 2011, 4:50 pm

3stagevtec wrote:Speaking of Jeremy...

part 2 still uploading..

3stagevtec wrote:

Hope to see you on some more runs with us Bobvis! That Hilux looking mean!

lighthammer wrote:Right... so, sorry for the delays guys - had to work today and was feeling rreeaallllllll mashup, sunday's run was real work!

Here's my pics (warning, there's a lot, and I hardly took any myself - most of them is from the missus and her handling of the camera! So credit goes to her for the pics and vids :mrgreen: )

The meet-up

Safety briefing & trail-breakdown

Waiting for stragglers

He was the straggler.....

Convoy

A monkey!

Starting of the Lopinot Trail

Nissan gettin' ornnnn

testing the new foglights install on the rollbar (the front HID's were just turned on, hadn't warmed up yet hence the green colour - they're actually 4300K, close to stock colour)

Some of the scenery in the Northern Range. Beautiful, fresh and clean!

Waiting for the trail to clear of vehicles, before proceeding up an hill-climb

Coming out of the Lopinot trail, and onto the Blanchisseuse main road, just at the Look-out point.

Interesting fact: This is how Rene' parks when he comes home from work.

On the move again

Spring Bridge. At this point, I was having some flashbacks to the maiden-run of Side B :)

The jimny crosses the bridge

Mean Machine

Ah boy cuddles.... pressure!
But don't worry, is a Nissan, you don't need to walk with tools/parts !

Woi!

Blanchi trail - the flat part.

A 3.2 DiD sportero on Highway tyres that balding in front - good job on the hill-climb!!

This drain is more dangerous than first-appearances. The sides of the drain are actually eroding away and are far-more eroded underneath than what we can see in this photo. I almost slid into this drain on the way out, cuz of the long wheel-base of my Navara. I had hit the embankment, and gotten stuck in the drain. Had to drop it into 4-LO and use 2nd gear to power out. The scorpions dug deep and found a place to bite, and got me out easily!

Muddier than it looks

Nissan POWAH!!
(right after cuddles when through here, my camera battery died.... and I couldn't get a shot of the Navara powering through.... anyone have a pic of it?)

lighthammer wrote:Moarrr pics!!

Went through a deep hole, and the tail of my navara brushed the edge. Damned bumper-step came out again.... I should really stick that down with some superglue at some point!

Walkign he rest of the way to blanchi beach

This was a really epic moment, and I wish we had gotten a better picture of all the original Side B guys - cuz this is the first time ever, that Side B had gotten to a beach while on a run!!
Most of our runs involved aiming for a beach through a trail, but the last couple times we've had to turn back cuz of bad weather.

Congrats guys, we made it!!!!

VICTORY!!!!!!!

These rock-pools were an excellent place to come bathe and sit and relax. Too bad we didnt' stay long enough to bathe here. Sun was blazing and I was tempted to just jump in!

Rock climbing, hooray!

So happy we finally got to one of our goals :mrgreen:

So after this, we headed out of the trail and got back to the main road.
While on the way to Las Cuevas, look who we met up with:

This is a funny picture. It's almost as if the trucks are peeking into the entry of the trail and saying "Is it safe to go in there???"

Bess pic!!

Jeremy vex that he stick :mrgreen:
Time to go into beast-mode!!!

This man drive like a real kant-hole and get himself stuck. He wasn't part of our group, and drove into the trail after the hilux got stuck. Like a real @ss, he drive around the hilux and wanna play he showing off to the little people that "oh, I have a big off-road machine and I could drive where I want." It was at this exact point that he get stick like a big kokolooks.... and we all had a big laff.
We tried to help de man out, but he play reeeaaallll ignorant and wanna do he own thing. I guess he was trying to compensate for something, like a small brain or underdeveloped genitals... oh well, we shoulda leave his @ss. He was ready to leave us and our hilux stuck in the mud. He get what he deserved :).
We wasted a good 40 mins on his sorry self anyway... which was valuable beach time!

Trying to help out the fella, who after getting pulled out, went straight back in the mud and get stick AGAIN!!
What a scrotum-sac this man is boy.. wheeeyyyy!

testing out the trail conditions - favourable for... STICKING!

Playing on the beach

Running off.

Finally get to do donuts on the sand.

After this point, we settled for about an hour and a half and let the guys and gals go swimming and bathing. Was a really nice day, good weather and great company.

At this point, most of the guys broke off to go home after a great day of trail running and exploring. Most of us had never been on Cuevas trail or through Lopinot.
The rest of us decided to go to tyrico to eat some bake and shark, lime, and take another bathe.

So after the sun set, we dried off and headed home.
But this was not the end of the run.

3stage and myself were still around, and while talking over the radios on the drive out we decided that we should go for Haagen Das in ellerslie plaza. The two of us, plus 2 other trucks were enough for a run - so the Side B run was STILL ON!!

So the run ended with:
1. Haagen Das at Ellerslie plaza
2. Went to Movietowne POS to catch "Pirates Of The Caribbean 4" at the 8:45pm show (in semi-wet beach clothes, and sand on our feet! Needless to say, I froze my ass off in my wet shorts, and left the Movietowne seat all nice and damp, and the staff there gonna be wondering where all this damned sand came from!!! Ent 3stage??? :mrgreen:)

So, all-in-all... a fantastic run. We met all our goals, minor casualties, went on 3 trails and 3 beaches...... I was fully pleased. Glad to know that everyone got home safe and sound, and that everyone who came had a total blast.

To the guys who couldn't make it - don't worry, we have much more runs to come later on in the year, and not just the Official DB runs too (lots of Side-B runs where we gonna re-visit prev. places, eg. Santa Flora Part 2, Morne Diablo Part 2, a night-run, Turtle Watching and Kayaking weekend, Down-De-Islands, Rally, First-Aid and Recovery Training day with BBQ and Beach lime........ stay tuned!!)

Thank you all for coming, for the great company, and thanks to the guys of Side B for an awesome run.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 26th, 2011, 4:55 pm

lighthammer wrote:And to top it all off, here's a nice long video of the Las Cuevas trail fun.

Enjoy!

cvt-7_RR wrote:Finally got the time to upload the pictures and post them. The videos are being uploaded right now, so if not tonight, I will post those tomorrow when they finish. My pictures are not as clean as 3stagevtec and lighthammer since then have fancy cameras (they fancy imo). I just used my cell phone and the digital camera my friend had. Enjoy.

River on the way through Lopinot trail up the hills. River lime anyone?

lighthammer wrote:Had a couple of scary hill climbs, saw a donkey and a monkey on the way, but it was a bess trail!!!
This your donkey? :shock:
The RWD men would love this trail. I had to use 4WD for one corner. Was just spinning tires on part of the hill. LOL.

Scenery like these are always good for the health. Just takes away all the stress.

Was so tempted to speed up a little on the bridge and give it some hard brakes. But really, that bridge is awesome.

Almost reach Blanchisseuse beach. Just look at that view!

Everyone face was pretty much all grin like this. Well done guys making it to our 1st beach.

Side B.

It's a lot of pictures. But I got to say, this beach was one of, if not, the most beautiful beach I've ever came across in Trinidad. It is all natural, with little human interference. I hope they don't fix the roads to get there. Leave it for only 4X4 vehicles. Less people know of it, the better.

Me : Is that pit deep?
Neela : *walks in* Nah man, you can drive through it... :mrgreen:
Gotta love her free/happy spirit.

One stuck idiot coming right up. If I remember correctly, the guy with the Samurai who came along with us broke his tow point on his vehicle pulling this guy out. I'm glad the guys of Side B drive with their head and not their ego. It avoids unnecessary events.

Snorkel and thing! Ready for those deep pits I see.

Approx. $40 to $50 in Diesel to cover 217Km. That is from San Fernando > to inside Chagaunas > to complete the trip with everyone > back to inside Chagaunas > and finally back to San Fernando. I like my diesel.

I have to get the rest of the pictures from my friend and her digital camera. Only got the videos so far.
As I said before. Well done guys. We completed everything we set out to do today. Hit all the trails, got some extra fun on the sand and got to soak some good salt water. No major incidents other than the little sprain ankle civicminded got (Best of health. Good thing is an automatic you have. And better yet, we have a lighthammer who is there for any such situations).
Not only did we complete everything, some even stayed back and soaked some more salt water and even take in a good movie. How was the movie?

Another run that was well worth ever effort. Cheers... :drinking:

lighthammer wrote:Aye - I could well do with a run similar like this again!

But this time, let's throw some 4x2's into the mix (of course we have to anticipate some stickage - and prepare accordingly).

To be perfectly honest, I much rather Blanchisseuse beach than Las Cuevas beach, it's more scenic and offers more for everyone: Water to bathe, rocks to climb and fish from, calm rock pools to just lie down and relax in, and even a nice sandy spot to get some smalll-goal football or cricket in.

Somebody go hadda bring a portable grill to cook all that fish I planning to catch!

So next time - 4x2's are invited to come.

Speedy and Rotted - challenge has been extended.... what is your answer??!!!

cvt-7_RR wrote:
Scenic drive through the northern range.

Samurai stuck in mud 1.

Samurai stuck in mud 2.

Samurai stuck in mud 3. If you listen, you will hear a bang at 21seconds. I think that is the Samurai that is pulling (The one that came along with us). The tow point on his vehicle broke. Just a simple weld to fix it right up as new.

Vitara On Sand

Mazda On Sand

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 26th, 2011, 4:56 pm

claries wrote:sum vid

claries wrote:more vids

Advertisement

Return to “Off Road Runs”