TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

*** Ask All SR gear box questions in here ***

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

*** Ask All SR gear box questions in here ***

Postby Picasso » October 3rd, 2006, 10:10 pm

The reason for this thread is because I have asked several garge men ( Die hard Nissan men ) the differences and the information collected seemed not on point.
This should help alot of you guys out there with gear box related questions. I got a couple to start the ball rolling.

1) With relation to the SR20 lsd and SR18 lsd gear boxes.... What are the significant differences between them ? ( I am talking Big spline,small spline , and gearing guts )

2 ) Is there any way on outside surface of the gear box you can distinctively see the difference of an SR20 lsd gear box from an SR18 lsd gear box ?

Don't worry I will be googling too to get diagrams and info. to help answer my own questions for those who will like to know. 8-)

GameOver
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GameOver » October 4th, 2006, 1:32 pm

hope you get answers to your questions.. i also have one
i have a sr18 non lsd hydraulic box mated to a sr20. when I was doing install i could not find the replacement clutch disc. Bobby's in the bamboo said that its not the big but not the small spline.

is there a 3rd size.?

i would like to get an ACT heavy duty pressure plate & street/strip clutch plate. Clutch really slipping now!!

JWT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby JWT » October 4th, 2006, 2:22 pm

sr20lsd hydraulic is the big spline box
sr20lsd non hydraulic is the small spline

sr18lsd is small spline
s18 non lsd small spline

difference easy the lsd's have the fin vents on the boxes cannot miss it

the lsd boxes also carry the fat axels

also the sr18 boxes have a closer gear ratio ar ratios
meaning that the car will pull of faster than that of an sr20 but because of the ratios the sr20 box will beat the sr18 box on top end longer gear ratios

perfect box is the 1st and 2nd sr18 and 3rd, 4th 5th sr20

:mrgreen:

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » October 4th, 2006, 2:33 pm

true
after 1st and 2nd there is a real performance drop with my sr18 lsd box

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 4th, 2006, 5:42 pm

I googled fellas and didn't even get a diagram online of the dam gear box..I noitced the Pulsar froum in Australia have some good info though. I will post somthing once I find some solid info.

This is not true.. You are speaking of the USDM Spec box from the SER Spec-V. 6 fwd business.

Are there any codes on the boxes that are significantly different that will identify an SR20lsd from an SR18 lsd ( I am speaking of the cable type )

How is this possible with out friggin up the final gear ? I understand that you just can't jump in the change up parts from the SR20 and SR18 lsd boxes due to very slight internal gear differences which make a huge difference with performance. :|

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 4th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Last edited by Picasso on October 6th, 2006, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » October 5th, 2006, 11:16 pm

check motorist for diagrams, when i was looking for the seal they pull up about 4 different sr box diagram with every single part of d box labeled and seperated
aye btw the seal was $45 after discount ...rush them

but thats if they willing to share those diagrams

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 6th, 2006, 3:52 pm

The link has been fixed.

Sinister_Audio
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sinister_Audio » October 9th, 2006, 12:29 pm

true
after 1st and 2nd there is a real performance drop with my sr18 lsd box

oh mannnnnnnnnn
i love my top end!!
so that means to get back my top end, i'll have to get back a sr20 tranny?

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 9th, 2006, 2:41 pm

to get back my top end, i'll have to get back a sr20 tranny?

Tip that is true..

Right now that mixing and matching gear box thing is a hit or miss. The link that I put up is an a company provides stronger internal parts for your gear box so that it can stand up to the power. A common thing with all lsd gear boxes are the 3rd gear stripping. PR engineering has a solution to that. Prices are expensive but will the gear box close to bulletproof :|

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 9th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Nissan
GTIR Synchromesh

After extensive research and development we finally established the

optimum in synchromesh style gears available which were first introduced to the market late 2002.

We have incorporated a large tooth profile throughout all gears maintaining reliability and efficiency. 1st gear is similar in size to 1st used in our GTIR dog gearset which means good news for those people that love to really take off.

The entire gear train has been made with a helical cut to reduce noise and increase strength.

As can be viewed, 2nd gear has the largest tooth profile possible with respect to efficiency and reliability.

3rd and 4th have also been generated with a large tooth profile and are the same as in our half dog gearsets.

In order to supply our clients with only what they need and not increase the cost unnecessarily we supply the gearset with 1st to 4th since the standard 5th gear is sufficient, but for those people that would like to change 5th to a different preferred ratio or just for piece of mind, 5th is also available if need be.

PAR has designed the gearset in such a way that needle roller bearings are used on 3rd, 4th and 5th driving gears opposed to standard OEM which run straight on the shafts.

The gearset will fit the standard housing with no modifications .

The beauty of the synchromesh GTIR gearset is that it requires no maintenance and special driving style which is the same as the standard OEM gearset. What the biggest difference is that you don't need to worry about breaking or shredding gears as long as you have less than 450 break hp.

[img]http:187:302]http://www.par-engineering.com/images/nissangtirs_2.jpg[/img]

Nissan
GTIR Dog Change

The GTIR 1/2 dog gearset is made from EN36A case hardening alloy steel which is hardened and tempered through a special heat treatment process after the manufacturing stage and is a huge step up for the performance freaks who have screwed a lot more power out of their GTi-R engine. This gearset is suited for drag racing, circuit racing, rallying and hi performance use. If you like 'launching' your car off the line then this gearset will take all the punishment. The benefit of this 1/2 dog gearset is that the gears are wider than standard (to increase strength) with a larger tooth profile meaning that there is a lower number of teeth and each tooth is a lot thicker (to increase strength even more). Lightning fast gearchanges can be made without losing valuable time with this 1/2 dog gearset. This equates to the most power capable racing gearset available. The dog gears will be rated at around 650hp.
A 1/2 dog gearset is suited for people who want to launch off the line in anger while making lightning quick gearchanges from 1st to 2nd, just like a proper race car. A audible metallic 'clunk' might be heard when changing fast, but the engine will be a lot louder. With a little practice a GTi-R fitted with a 1/2 dog gearset will be no extra hassle being used as a regular street driven car. If you are serious about the horsepower output of your GTi-R, then this is the gearset to get. The dogs on this gearset were designed for maximum strength and durability, the end result is the biggest dogs that could possibly be made.

Image Image

NISSAN
SENTRA/SSS/SR20DET SYNCHROMESH

On the synchro gearsets there is a large tooth profile throughout all gears maintaining reliability and efficiency.

We have increased the width of 3rd gear to give it that extra strength with respect to efficiency and reliability, all gears have the largest tooth profile possible. This gearset will fit in the original housing with no modifications, original bulk rings and sliders and hubs will be used. Customers need to be aware that although they have a tougher gearsets it does not mean they can be more aggressive on the gearstick and damage the bulk rings and shift forks etc. All components are machined out of billet steel, the best of materials, the gears are made from an alloy, high tensile, chromoly tool steel designated by the code EN36A. Heat treatment involves case hardening which means the core is strong but still ductile and the case is hard to handle meshing.

NISSAN

SENTRA/SSS/SR20DET DOG CHANGE

The FWD SR20DE full dog box is the thing to have when you have turboed the N/A SR20DE or have installed a U12 Bluebird/U13 Bluebird/GTi-R turbo engine into your FWD Pulsar, Sentra, SE-R, NX Coupe (or anything with a FWD SR20DE). The dog gearset is made from EN36A case hardening alloy steel which is hardened and tempered through a special heat treatment process after the manufacturing stage. This is a dog (1st to 4th gear) gearset with straight cut gears and will handle all the power your engine can supply. The dog gears are rated at around 600hp.

akash_persad
Riding on 13's

Postby akash_persad » October 11th, 2006, 11:49 am

Who does repair sr20 gearbox?
down south
how much for a sr20 big spline lsd box?

L4t3ncy
Riding on 13's

Postby L4t3ncy » November 16th, 2006, 2:47 am

big spline = 24?
small spline = 18?

and what clutch would i use on a big spline box. Nissan Silvia?

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 18th, 2006, 7:44 am

how much for a sr20 big spline lsd box?

LSD box prices gone up pallie.. if yuh lucky you can get one for $3000. Prices are as high as $5000 for one.

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » November 18th, 2006, 3:06 pm

I just notice a small leak below my GB and it looks like a seal by the right side axle is the source of the oil leak.
By chance anyone know the name and cost of this "axle seal" , i wont have time until monday to check around.
a DIY change? or check the mech?

hon-da-man
Ricer

Postby hon-da-man » November 29th, 2006, 10:04 pm

:mrgreen:...........................................................

Boneyard
Sweet on this forum

Postby Boneyard » November 30th, 2006, 10:55 am

Question on the awd Sr20 gear box, when u have a awd gear box running only two wheels ( frony or rear) dose it operate as an lsd gear box ? as in power to both wheels.
Are awd Sr20 boxes lsd ?

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 30th, 2006, 5:37 pm

dose it operate as an lsd gear box ?

yes

Are awd Sr20 boxes lsd ?

Yes

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » December 4th, 2006, 9:48 am

My gear box leaking !!! :x I need an axel seal. Anyone got a right side SR18,SR20 lsd gearbox axel seal ?

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » December 4th, 2006, 8:46 pm

lol good 4 yuh arse! yuh shuda ans my GB seal post

got it at motorist for $45 (big bore for the lsd axels) or $65 (small bore for normal axels)

g o n z o
Street 2NR

Postby g o n z o » December 14th, 2006, 4:43 pm

yea picasso chek ya pm>gonzo

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » April 3rd, 2007, 8:08 am

Slot of info for you here Jason

azis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby azis » April 3rd, 2007, 7:25 pm

JWT wrote:sr20lsd hydraulic is the big spline box
sr20lsd non hydraulic is the small spline

sr18lsd is small spline
s18 non lsd small spline

the lsd boxes also carry the fat axels

also the sr18 boxes have a closer gear ratio ar ratios
meaning that the car will pull of faster than that of an sr20 but because of the ratios the sr20 box will beat the sr18 box on top end longer gear ratios

:mrgreen:

i had a big spline non lsd on a b15 with a sr20vvl

azis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby azis » April 3rd, 2007, 7:30 pm

L4t3ncy wrote:big spline = 24?
small spline = 18?

and what clutch would i use on a big spline box. Nissan Silvia?

the big spline non lsd box is the same as the non turbo rear wheel drive
i think it is 220 or 221 diameter

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » April 4th, 2007, 2:16 am

hmm look how i happy i find this topic..

arite well my question is...which one is better?? i heard the small spline SR20 box is stronger than the Big Spline box? any comment on that

also..is the small spline box easier for parts such as Axels (when it comes 2 looking for them 2 buy)

which one is better for a conversion from automatic lsd to a gearbox?? hydraylic or cable box?
which one is stronger??

also how hard is it 2 do a conversion from automatic to manual with a sr20

azis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby azis » April 4th, 2007, 12:31 pm

which one is better?? i heard the small spline SR20 box is stronger than the Big Spline box? any comment on that

the big spline is stronger

also..is the small spline box easier for parts such as Axels (when it comes 2 looking for them 2 buy)

yes the small spline is easier to find parts cause its ur everyday gbox that most people use...... hence the reason why people will tell you the small spline is stronger (parts easier to find)

which one is better for a conversion from automatic lsd to a gearbox?? hydraylic or cable box?
which one is stronger??

i think if you really into tunning ur ride and using it in the field of performance a lsd gbox is the better option....... but because of the cost of a lsd box nowadays :evil: ....... yo could go with a non lsd ....as in strength between the cable and hydraulic i dont noe cause i never used a lsd box with my sr :shock:

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » April 4th, 2007, 12:33 pm

okay cool..well i jus spoke 2 sparkie *the sr man* and well he siad tha how the big spline box is more for SR20DET and ting..so he tell me to go with the small spline..but if the big spline is used for DET's tha really mean it will be stronger and ting...buh how hard is it 2 find parts for the big spline box...ent alot of ppl have sr20det's

and well i getting ah big spline non lsd...when i talk to him again i will run it by him once again and see waz the scene..

azis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby azis » April 4th, 2007, 9:36 pm

hear what if you really wan to use the big spline the axles will cost (no cut and weld) go by constant velocity in sando and they will have everything for you (they handled me well with respect to time, quality and cost efficiency)

you will need to know the length of the shafts you looking for and if you have a piece of the axle to start it go be easier for them to get a spline count

pm me if you really want to go by them,

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » April 4th, 2007, 10:14 pm

okay then cool well i wanna go by them so :lol: i'll send u a pm now i guess

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » June 7th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Bump :!:

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”