Forums

Nissan Maxima won't start.....

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Nissan Maxima won't start.....

Postby drunkenscorpion » October 31st, 2010, 4:20 pm

Problem is just that, no tumbling, nothing. Mechanic thought it was the starter, but was able to bridge the starter and get the car started. I just wanted to start the car so I can take it home.

He then said that the chip for key may have shifted, and I should try the spare key when I reached home. Same thing, nothing, as soon as I cut off, the car refused to start again. It has to be an electrical problem, because all my lights are working fine, I am not getting any tumble still.

From my online reading, it could be the factory installed immobliser, but the security light does not remain on when the key is switched to on, which is the signal that the immobiliser is giving trouble. I also have a clifford alarm installed as well.

Any other suggestions as to what may have caused this? I placed the Clifford alarm on valet a while now, and was only using the OEM alarm.

Car is a 2001 local Maxima.

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Nissan Maxima won't start.....

Postby bigchief3679 » October 31st, 2010, 7:19 pm

could be something as simple as a blown fuse or starter relay, broken 'park or neutral' switch. I doubt its the immobiliser if you managed to get it started. i would advise an electrician to check everything from your key to the starter.

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » October 31st, 2010, 7:45 pm

yeah, an electrician will be coming to see the car tomorrow. Its just weird, after a few hours, the car started again, and then went dead right after. This time though, park lights for the alarm arming/disarming no longer works. I really am hoping it is something as simple as the fuse or a relay.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 31st, 2010, 8:07 pm

do you have "adapters" to go from small pole batteries, to big pole clamps?

experienced problem starting with two cars.
both used such adapters

there was so much corrosion that not even jump starting worked.
however by removing and cleaning the adapters / clamps / poles all was resolved.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » November 1st, 2010, 4:28 am

I wish you best of luck... Based on the age I assume you talking about the A33 cefiro/maxima

Anyway, we had a similar problem once, and it turns out that the entire security computer ceased to work so it wouldnt disengage the auto immobilizer which is controlled by the chipped key....

Basically had to tow the car to N&M where they proceeded to charge us something like $4000 and in their first repair attempt they managed to mess up the AC control circuitry.. After my pops called up the boss, they finally agreed to fix their damage, but while they fixed the AC they managed to somehow short out or otherwise destroy a variety of electrical functions such as the rear defroster, front fogs and power side mirrors...

Overall, expensive part, sheit service and regret about buying such a troublesome car on a whole...

I just hope your problem is more simple

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » November 1st, 2010, 9:23 am

@Wagonrunner, I have no adapters for the pole, the battery has large poles, so there is no need for any adapters, and there is no corrosion on either poles or terminals.

@CD4Accord, yes it is the A33 Maxima. I really hope is not the same problem that you are describing. As I stated before, reading online, the security light should stay on if indeed the immobilizer is giving trouble, which it isn't. Could you remember if that was your case?

shotta 20
punchin NOS

Postby shotta 20 » November 1st, 2010, 3:29 pm

BTW, check the 'ignition switch' to see if it's shorting

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » November 2nd, 2010, 9:10 pm

problem solved.....turn out it was the starter after all......the brushes just needed changing. Electrician changed them, and changed a relay, and back up and running like new.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » November 3rd, 2010, 1:51 am

You lucky...
How much did the electrician charge you for that?

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » November 4th, 2010, 11:26 am

Yeah, I was lucky.....electician charged me $600. $200 for the brushes, I think was like $60 for a relay, and the rest was his labour, because he came to my home after hours. Was pretty good in my opinion.

atomictt
Ricer

Postby atomictt » December 9th, 2015, 4:41 pm

drunkenscorpion wrote:Yeah, I was lucky.....electician charged me $600. $200 for the brushes, I think was like $60 for a relay, and the rest was his labour, because he came to my home after hours. Was pretty good in my opinion.

you have that electrician number still?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”