TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

GDi 4G93T, How To Upgrade?

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

GDi 4G93T, How To Upgrade?

Postby TeamH2O » May 11th, 2011, 9:01 am

How can i upgrade a 4g93t gdi engine? The engine came originally with a gearbox.

Looking at upgrading clutch and pressure plate.
Also will be putting 2.5" exhaust, would put 3" but need to figure out what can i do if i am to change the turbo with a turbo from an evo9.
Also a cold air intake system.
Water/Meth Injection.

Was thinking about putting a mivec head on it but it will require doing some wiring at the electrician, so i believe and im not up for that with the electricians we have down my side.

I've read a few sites, that these engines only put out about 6psi-7psi MAX boost in stock form.

The MAXIMUM boost i want is about 12psi, if possible, and if i have to do internal work, well, i'll take 12psi LOW and whatever i can go at for HIGH. Doing internals is no problem for me. But as far as i know, theres more to it than internals in these engines to be done properly.

So whats possible with it? Seeing that the gdi injectors are in the combustion chamber, i may have to run some piggyback and a custom intake manifold with plate to bolt on with injectors to provide more fuel.

Any ideas?

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: GDi 4G93T, How To Upgrade?

Postby TeamH2O » May 11th, 2011, 7:35 pm

I guess i'll be entering no mans land LOL.

Im contemplating the mivec head. Along with a metal head gasket, arp head studs, acl bearings, arp rod bolts, evo intake manifold custom plated to fit, and an emanage ultimate or if i can get an evo ecu thats reflashable to work on the gdi 4g93t.

Still researching, time will tell. I mean, stock form 167hp not bad, but i'll need more, however, no more than 300hp. 260whp-280whp should be perfect for a front wheel.

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » May 13th, 2011, 10:34 am

I could be wrong eh but you might be one ah d first men in trinidad to interfere with and modify a 93T GDI to those levels because I hear it is very limited to standard modifications...I remember seeing men in russia playing around with the engine but the translations to english was poor...I guess it's like converting trini language to english language...remember I told you I have a friend with a ralliart wagon converted to manual, well he dynoed at 200+ HP but I can't remember exactly what he did to it but it was nothing really major in terms of changing to aftermarket engine parts....I think he was saying that he used a 4G93 GDI turbo head with a non turbo 4G93 GDI block or vice versa...if you interested in getting his number just let me know...

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 13th, 2011, 12:48 pm

^^I'll organise the pics of the front when i get some time.

Well i was thinking to use the mivec head, proper head gasket, studs, etc. But from what im reading, i might have to go standalone rather than piggyback.

Altho it'll be low front wheel power, it will lbe made into a reliable, fun car. Im sure 300fwhp is DEFINATELY PLENTY for the road. :D

even self, 200 with less mods im thinking of can be great.

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » May 13th, 2011, 1:29 pm

just hope that the gearbox is lsd becuz you go get rel wheelspin and torque steer if u have 300fwhp if its a non lsd box, that go call for a phantom grip lsd kit

200fwhp sounds more reasonable and would still be a lilttle rocket...but at least you have options to tune for more or less power when necessary....but definitely very fun...make sure and document the build if you go ahead with it eh....

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 13th, 2011, 9:05 pm

definately!

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » May 14th, 2011, 7:34 pm

I honestly don't want to sound mean.. but the best upgrade is the get rid of that engine.. seriously.. 2 guys I know changed and went CM5A 4G93 Turbo instead of that GDI eng.. ( they said it's garbage)..

secret_service
3NE 2NR for life

Postby secret_service » May 14th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Come on man the 4G93GDi-T engine is not garbage....an its not impossible to tune just close to impossible..........4G93T EFI is fully tunable.

The original 4G93 GDI motor was over built by Mitsubishi to handle high compression, knock an later on turbo charging. Sad thing is besides giving it 100 octaine gas the GDI cant be easily tuned to take advantage of this. The ECU might be flash-able but nobody has created an definition file to decode it yet. Nobody cares

If you have an ECU open it up an tell me what is written on the main chip...........or take a picture please thanks

I dont know if you have noticed but all the 2011 Hyundai's have turbo GDI tech from Mitsubishi since they have moved on to the new 4B1x engines they licensed these old patents to Hyundai

These improved GDI turbos come in 1.2 with 130 HP, 1.6 with 208 hp the 2.0 can generate up to 286 hp.....some come with twin-scroll turbochargers that when combined with the GDI lean fuel operation results in instant boost they also features continuous full variable valve timing.

The stock electronics are way to smart to adjust fueling with just aftermarket stuff. If u plug in a piggyback u might control timing but the ecu will re-learn an cancel it out....an if u plug it into the injector circuit it will fry in a few seconds as the injectors run on high volt amps.
You cant modify fuel pressure with after market goodies but there is a adjustment screw which u can use to raise it when cranking up boost.

If you keep stock turbo the most you can do is increase boost with a controller keeping an eye on knock u might get it up to around 11psi...Upgrade your intercooler 1st please.......Then use water injection an squeeze in more boost.

The EVO 9 turbo will flow more air at any psi than stock turbo so if u go that way just remember that little fact since you cant control anything electronic on this motor to tune in bigger airflow volume.

If it is possible to do a MIVEC head swap.......buy a EVO 9 ECU and harness so your electrician wont have much work to do an have it reprogrammed to handle the 1.8CC high compression an keep the injectors large. You can keep the GDI pistons and rods as they were over engineered like I said before, water injection again if u are going for high boost.

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 14th, 2011, 11:39 pm

I will never listen to anyone telling me an engine is garbage unless they have many many MANY proof why it is and if they experienced why.

WHY? Simply bcuz everyone said my NEO RB25DET would be crushed with a big turbo, or "MASH UP" under abuse. Wrong wrong wrong wrong, its been 4 years and its NEVER destroyed, anyone can come see for themselves, and now thats its DRY TUNED, its just perfect at 11psi. Imagine that, 370RWHP @ 11PSI!!!!

Now onto the GDI 4G93T....Imagine what can be done IF i can get control of what i want? As the last post stated, with the mivec head, EVO 9 ECU AND HARNESS, which is what i was watching. It was either that, or a full standalone to make things easy, either AEM or ViPec EMS.

However, today i was really contemplating to just go with a complete evo5 front with rear end and convert the entire car 4wd and 4g63t. BUT, thats last resort.

Lets just mess with the GDI 4G93T and see whats possible.
First up, getting to keep the engine combustion area, cooler(Water Meth Kit).

Second, getting control of fuel, only way to add more fuel so far i see, is running a secondary pump system, with an injector controller, to control 4 separate injectors on the intake manifold. Just like a normal rail system, however, only double fuel injection while under higher boost.

Third, Ignition control, piggy back or standalone, but LETS GO PIGGY BACK and see how far we can take it. Research is being done on what to do.

Fourth, we flow more air, either raising boost on the tiny turbo or either an evo7, 8 or 9 turbo. Low boost would be raised to 10 psi IF it is TRUE that stock boost is about 6 psi. High boost, we can try about 14-15 psi. This is running on STOCK INTERNALS. If anything does blow, we go forged, build the block properly, and modify the head or just go mivec head as it MIGHT be like upgrading cams etc.

So, i CANT say these are bad engines, unless im proven wrong. So for now, we can just say, its an engine that has never really been tested to limits. I've seen a video where one has upgraded turbo, and probably 3-4 other things and it REALLY DOES PULL. But language is in some other type.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 15th, 2011, 12:31 am

can full standalone control the injector ecu directly and do the fuel injection during down stroke an upstroke similar to what the GDI ecu does to cool the in-cylinder temps?

if it can then the GDi-turbo can be tamed!! lol

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 15th, 2011, 1:54 am

I believe there are a few that can, just no one has messed with all the features as of yet.

If i can prevent detonation easily on the gdi 4g93t, then some mad mods can occur lol

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » May 15th, 2011, 10:31 am

hey A-1 Superior Tech nice to see someone enhancing a 4g93t, i dont find its rubish i find it dread, i upgraded from 4g18 to 4g93t and i find the car pulls fine. looking to upgrade stuff now , what spark plugs you use? have a lot a fellas say it is a mess engine but it have a lot of fellas dont know how good the engine is. nice job . could do with some picts man.

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 15th, 2011, 7:49 pm

You got the GDI right? By chance, if you have a boost gauge, can you confirm if the stock boost level? Im seeing 6psi and some saying 9-10psi. But i believe the non gdi is around 10 or so if im correct.

Pics will be coming soon, car just going for a full body do over by the painter, so might be a while. Will be really amazing when finished. The engine has the original ones, never checked it, will do tommorow. Im thinking of getting some AC Delco iridiums for it. Still deciding yet.

QuickPc's
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuickPc's » May 16th, 2011, 7:44 pm

i jes wanna know 1 thing... where you find a 4g93gdi with gearbox... send me the chassis number from the front half when you get a chance please cause i think youre the first person to ever find one... i jes wanna cross reference some of the part numbers...

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 17th, 2011, 9:08 pm

^^The front i was going to get was a converted to manual one and so i did not bother with it, someone else did take it seeing it was manual and did not really bother what box it used but i ended up getting a deal on a ralliart front, tiptronic, suspension front and back etc. Evo looking panel, different style shifter setup than the others, really nice half.

Will be modifying still, possibly evo3 turbo, downpipe, decent sized cooler with matched size piping. Might be going STANDALONE to control the injectors i need.

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » May 19th, 2011, 6:23 am

dont have a bppst guage as yet i using evoscan on it right now, i find my temp a bit higher its like 95 while driving and 99 when stand still. yea my engine is tiptronic 4gears, not much but it does the job,what is the exact heat range or code of the spark plugs you goin and buy? it wont mess with the gdi and compression ratio if you put in iridiums? had to modify my downpipe to 2.25inchs car felt free. only one problem, my engine light on and i check the code and its related to te catalytic converter error code was p0145 i think.

you think i should cut out the cat and put a pipe ?

ps heard i suppose the be running 10psi but the evoscan not giving me a good reading this weekend want to go and hook up a boost .

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 19th, 2011, 8:16 am

You have a 2.0 Tactrix cable ?

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/petrol1.htm

Wheels Jamaica
Title: Re: 4G93 GDI Turbo
Post by: Scientist - The Lab Racing on December 30, 2009, 08:23:24 PM
We never went further than an Intake, exhaust and boost controller on the vehicle. we turned the boost up from 6psi to 10psi and monitored knock with evoscan before password protecting the boost controller

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/wheels_forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=110360.0

Scientist is a member on this forum as well

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 19th, 2011, 9:44 am

Isn't the tiptronic supposed to be 6speed on the cedia wagon turbo? and pajero 4speed? Mines has a different style shifter, 6speed and has paddle shifters on the steering.

I'll be running 2.5" exhaust, on an evo3 turbo.

Hopefully i dont get that code, if the cat has no sensor, if it does, i'll have to find a way. That engine light causes problems

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 19th, 2011, 10:21 am

6 speeds mean CVT which never came on GDI turbo as it not strong enough.
Facelift CS GDI Turbo Lancer has different inside trim an extras not found in the CS GDI Turbo Cedia

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 19th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Will check it out as i get mines up and running, the guy said its 6speed, same japanese front as what he put in his car with the paddle shifters. Shifter looked like a manual shifter at first but upon closer looking, its tiptronic, the other fronts i saw had a basic looking shifter console and no paddle shifter. Will see how it works stock first.

Instead of wood grain i got a kinda candyish deep looking blue on the dash and shifter console area. Evo looking panel, really nice, blue stitched steering wheel with paddle shifters, recaro seats....really nice stuff, with ralliart suspension front and back. BIG springs and HUGE rods for the shocks!

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » May 19th, 2011, 11:13 pm

mines is 4fwd invecs II tiptronic, momo steering wheel red guages goes up to 180km

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 20th, 2011, 9:30 am

Thats mines there. I'll be running an intercooler with both side piping on one side for this tiny turbo, i noticed the original has one LONG pipe going from left to right to the intercooler.

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » May 20th, 2011, 10:26 am

ah like d blue trim u was talkin about...how come it didnt come with a momo steering....

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 20th, 2011, 2:14 pm

it says momo on the back of it lol, i dunno why, they could ah just put momo in front and done

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » May 23rd, 2011, 11:49 am

how come your gear shift is like that? is it manual? or tiptronic? this is mines.
Attachments
DSC00601.JPG

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 23rd, 2011, 12:30 pm

raybic wrote:how come your gear shift is like that? is it manual? or tiptronic? this is mines.

because you got old model

he got new model

yes his front cut is automatic..........all gdi turbo was always mated to invecs2 4speed tranny

if anybody likes those rims on the bronze cedia wagon i got a set like it forsale...........they are rays forged 17inch rims
Last edited by xtech on May 24th, 2011, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 24th, 2011, 9:48 am

My front was the normal cs2/cedia shaped models, not the cs3 model ones. The guy just told me its a japanese model instead of the normal Singapore models people bring.

I knows nothing about that tho but oh wells

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 24th, 2011, 10:39 am

hmmm..............JDM?

only time i ever saw those kind of interior was in the newer shape Lancer

idlemind
punchin NOS

Postby idlemind » May 24th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Couldve been a .5 model xtech...yuh kno how MMC does do it.
OR...OR and jdm conversion...

You never really know your car's jap/s'pore history eh...

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » May 24th, 2011, 4:40 pm

i was specifically looking for a japanese front, so they told me about the singapore and japanese, and showed me documents that they brought it from japan and said i can use some program or something to check up the chassis number. They said the car had nice recaros, rims and such. Wish they had brought the entire car :D lol

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”