TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

question about the 4age 16v and 20v

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

question about the 4age 16v and 20v

Postby trdboy » November 3rd, 2011, 1:35 pm

hey fellas just wana know if the ac compressor from the 4age 16v is the same as the 20 v, i know its basically the same block pattern but i dont know if the bolt pattern and pulley alignment is the same, tanx in advance for any info.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: question about the 4age 16v and 20v

Postby Hook » November 4th, 2011, 2:41 am

Are you putting a 16V compressor on a 20V or vice-versa?

Same A-series block, bracket and bolt-up, so it SHOULD line up, BUT you need to be aware of the wiring. There are three different wiring set-ups that I know of for these compressors. If you take a walk around the bamboo lots where they have all these 4A/5A-FE and 4A-GE engines lined up, you'll see all the brackets are identical, but not all the compressors are. Some have a bare basic 3 or 4 wires because the low pressure safety switch is elsewhere on the system, and some carry as much as 6 wires because the switch is built into the compressor along with another funky feature.
The original 20v compressor has a feedback signal wire that connects to the ECU that interrupts the compressor clutch on hard acceleration so u don't waste horses on cold breeze while mashing your pedal through the floor. Only Factory GT models, front half conversions and perfectionist wire jobs have this feature. lol

Even so, the 16V and some ST20V compressors use the older R12 gas, so it's fine for an older car that came with the R12 system from factory anyway, BUT, if you're putting it in a newer vehicle using the newer R134a gas, you're gonna need to get a newer model compressor to suit the fittings and lines for that gas (R12 uses smaller fittings, lines and a different oil used for chlorinated refrigerants...using the wrong oil for the compressor is not a good practice).

I wouldn't go for an older compressor that's seen better days if I were you. I recently swapped my original ST20V compressor and lines for a full system from an AE110 for under $2k installed (Ryan in the bamboo did some kinda simmydimmy with a relay and the a/c interrupt from the ECU to preserve that feature).

Let us know how it goes.

sadique
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sadique » November 4th, 2011, 10:12 am

nice info here... ryt now i have a 5afe Comp. on my 20v .. the only thing diff. ws the 5a had 5pins and the 20v had 6pins.. haven't noticed any difference in performance though, a/c works the same! Also upon bolt up, d 5a pulley ws slightly off... so to compensate i used a thinner belt!

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 4th, 2011, 11:03 am

^^^ SERIOUS?! 4pk810 belt instead?

I have a prob with my ps belt stripping, but thought is the belt tension causing that.
I'm waiting on a buddy to get me a tensiometer in case it's my belt tension causing it. Think it's really the comp pulley? Can the pulleys be swapped? I still have the old busted compressor.

sadique
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sadique » November 4th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Hook wrote:^^^ SERIOUS?! 4pk810 belt instead?

I have a prob with my ps belt stripping, but thought is the belt tension causing that.
I'm waiting on a buddy to get me a tensiometer in case it's my belt tension causing it. Think it's really the comp pulley? Can the pulleys be swapped? I still have the old busted compressor.

i think u mean 4pk1060 ... the belt u quote is for the alternator/ water pump! ( smaller belt) :wink:
but i had the same prob with my ac / pw steerin belt, when i changed to the 5a comp. Yea so all i did was look for it in 4pk size, line it up properly on the pulleys and prob solved! And my a/c guy told me that the pulleys cud be swapped.. but i didnt have the need to do it again! 8-)
ryt now i'm workin on using a 20v comp. on a 5Afe ( the 20v comp. got a busted pulley so i'm gonna us the 5a pulley on it and see how it works)
Wow im gonna have a 20v engine with a 5a comp. & a 5a engine with a 20v comp! how ironic is that!! :lol: :roll:

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby trdboy » November 4th, 2011, 11:07 pm

nice info hook, got the 20v one today in the bamboo paid 600 for it, still looking for the one for the 16v though its not the same bolt up though had a spare and matched it up and they not the same i really was hoping it was

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 5th, 2011, 10:53 am

dayum....I have a spare bracket around here somewhere if u wanna try it

good info on the belt/pulley there Sadique! I gonna swap pulleys oui

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”