TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

SoloDex Rule Change Discussion

Official Solodex Forum -
Please visit www.carstt.com for more info on Autocross (aka Solodex)

Moderators: CarsTT, CARSTT SoloDex, 3ne2nr Mods

Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: SoloDex Rule Change Discussion

Postby Kongorealm » January 20th, 2012, 1:07 pm

All avenues of promoting the sport should be explored whether its more driving schools, seasoned members interacting more with novices, promoting via media and electronically.
Given that the sport is growing albeit minimal due to other events, I believe solodex can stay and keep growing in the future.

One recommendation is to consider the option of repaving the exisitng surface. I know it would be an expensive project but if you plan on utilizing this location in the long run it should not be overlooked. The executive and/or members can visit contractors with a proposal trying to solicit sponsorship for such paving works. All the organizations can pool they resources and come up with a plan. I'm sure the surface has prevented many persons from entering solodex. (I'm sure someone must know someone :wink: )

Another suggestion is to always have an announcer/mc to update the spectators on the progress and also share some information as well.

Finally, one word - sponsors! I know this drive to acqurie sponsors is already there but the effort in getting sponsors on board should not dwindle. Prizes don't necessarily have to be monetary value. Prizes can be coupons/discounts/free service which can be used to purchase auto parts/tires/oils and fluids, etc from the sponsoring company with the company getting free advertising at the events.

This married with more advertising and marketing, I'm positive solodex can exponentially grow.

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » January 25th, 2012, 9:02 am

the question of why more car enthusiasts done't participate in dex is intriguing to me and hence i have asked more ppl why not? and 'm posting the results here before i forget
1. Dex just isn't there preferred form of motorsport, but they would join CARS if there were incentives (what are the incentives to joining CARS for persons not interested in participating in dex?)
2. Dex courses are too slow, prefers drag and wind or proper circuit which we don't have in Trinidad
3. Does not feel competitive with the car in its current state or the car isn't working properly and when desired upgrades or repairs are made, they will participate
4. Afraid of the increased maintenance costs associated with dex (parts not cheap)

the last point reminds me that there is a conception that dex will mashup yuh car (i'm refering o significant wear and tear leading to the early replacement of certain parts). perhaps some of the above points can be addressed in any marketing efforts

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » January 25th, 2012, 9:38 am

whizpig wrote:the question of why more car enthusiasts done't participate in dex is intriguing to me and hence i have asked more ppl why not? and 'm posting the results here before i forget
1. Dex just isn't there preferred form of motorsport, but they would join CARS if there were incentives (what are the incentives to joining CARS for persons not interested in participating in dex?)

Not much, but we are talking to some sponsors to see what can be offered.

2. Dex courses are too slow, prefers drag and wind or proper circuit which we don't have in Trinidad

TRUE! Working on that too, hence this forum.

3. Does not feel competitive with the car in its current state or the car isn't working properly and when desired upgrades or repairs are made, they will participate

Well, any form of motor sport will be intimidating forthis sort of thinking. In Dex, the greatest mod you can do is to train yourself to drive properly. People feel throwing on coilovers will automatically get better times, this just is not the case, as many who participated in D&W have also found out the hard way. The people who do well in D&W, are the ones who have had practice in dex!

4. Afraid of the increased maintenance costs associated with dex (parts not cheap)

Not true, very much not true. Yes I drive an evo, but I have been using hte same stock clutch I bought it with for two years now, same brake pads, same everything. Most cars require little maintenance over normal driving, the most prevalent wear item is tyres, and with better driving, you will be surprised how long tyres last. Tyres squeeling and making noise is usually a sign of overdriving, slow downa little, your times will get better, tyres last longer, AND you will become a better driver.

the last point reminds me that there is a conception that dex will mashup yuh car (i'm refering o significant wear and tear leading to the early replacement of certain parts). perhaps some of the above points can be addressed in any marketing efforts

Hope I've addressed some of these questions.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 25th, 2012, 9:44 am

yup^
good points
a HUGE misconception is that dex will cause accelerated wear and tear on suspension
If you car already has issues, they may become more pronounced, but seasoned competitors will confirm dex really does not wear down your car.........I ran a 30 year old car for 3 ful seasons with no ill effects

Regarding courses and speed, I think it is a matter of reaching the right target. For example, I personally prefer dex to D&W simply because the challenge for me is having more challenging, and different courses.......D&W is the same course over and over. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks like this............I still believe dex can pull 35 - 40 consistent competitors if there is a proper marketing effort. The question I pose to whoever was at the helm when we had 20+ novices every event is this: what did you guys do to pull that crowd? Then analyse what was done for the last two years to attract a crowd...........

what is the message that CARS is sending (if any) to potential new competitors?
what avenues are being used to attract them?
other than trying to get cash form potential sponsors, what else has been offered to potential target companies?
If cash is not forthcoming, has the club considered what else companies can give to members?
Sponsorship does not equal 'we need cash to cover events' alone...........as whizpig said, members want some sort of benefit..........and this in turn benefits suppliers

Members want discounts, companies want new customers..........find a way to connect the two
Saying 'gimme some cash and come put a banner / booth' at dex won't cut it, however, say offer some sort of incentive to all our members to come to your store / shop / website, and they may be more willing.........and that will help alleviate the problem of 'where are we gonna get members?'

When last did CARS approach ZORCE or 6th Speed, for example, to do some sort of article or promo? 6th always has cool stuff polybagged in their issue...why not a Solodex FAQ / application form?

We know all the places members go to hunt for f/used tyres.........has anyone ever approached any of them officially to see if we can strike up a deal? Do these tyre places even know our members are loyal customers?

Other than Mileage Mack, there are other places members go for camber and alignment adjustments.....do we know who and where? I go to Shabby's in Couva...he is aware of dex, he knows larry via the Maxxis tyres Larry got from him....maybe we can send some business his way in exchange for a bligh of some sort

What do members need at dex? food, drinks...while we have SHam's, what other companies might be interested in showcasing their yummy stuff at dex? Flavorite? Chubby? Gatorade? Maybe strike up a deal with a wholesale place and sell drinks and make some money for the club...........yuh never know.....

Audie / Oddie / Dynoguy once had an offer in ZORCE, for a free dyno pull when u show your issue of ZORCE.........or a special price or summ so, really can't remember, but heck, why not approach him to offer something like that to every member who runs 6 events, for example....or every member who renews membership by December 1 (rather than chase members down at the start of the year)

And I can't say it enough............LISTEN to members........find ways to talk to them..........rather than say emails too impersonal and we eh have nobody to spend de time on the day, just try it and see what happens............emails are FREE

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » February 7th, 2012, 2:22 pm

my only two things are

1: make dex more fun by using faster courses and having duel tracks ( d&W concept) that will get you more competitors

2: keep the same damn FAST track.... that will also gain you competitors...

point 2 i have been saying 2 years now.
and point 2 is based on not what the roots are but the evolution the club can make if it wants to..
i can draw reference to the monkey, ladder and banana story ( no offense intended eh, but the lesson of the story is there)

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 8th, 2012, 8:32 am

Those points are being seriously considered.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 8th, 2012, 8:50 am

rather than consider points, an email should have gone out already.........dex1 is around the corner

Dear Ralph
It's been a while since you last attended a solodex event. We know that sometimes work and personal commitments make it difficult to attend events, but we would still love to see you and your XXXX XXXXX (make and model of car) make another appearance at Solodex. As a special incentive, we would like to extend the offer of $25.00 off your registration fee for the first event of 2012, on (insert date here).

We have an action packed year planned out, including a series of driving schools so you can brush up on those racing and defensive driving skils. We hope to see you soon, and as always, we welcome any feedback you may have regarding our events.

Cheers
Randy Reyos Abraham Nath

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 8th, 2012, 8:57 am

or how about:

Dear Ralph,
We've noticed you haven't attended any Solodex events since (insert date here). As we get ready to kick off the 2012 season, we were wondering if you would be in attendance at any of our six solodex events, or any of our four driving schools.

As we strive to improve our club, we would love to hear from you. All feedback, positive and otherwise is welcome. We would love to know what inspired you to take part in your fist solodex event, and what may have led to you missing the last few events.

You can reply to us via email, or give any of our new Committee members a call. We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Randy Reyos Abraham Nath

Contact Numbers
Randy Sexylegs Seebaran 1 900 222 4LUV

Vishnu Thesearenotbruises Abraham 1 900 222 BANG

Anthony Toocyootforyou Nath 1 900 222 PALE

Devi Mywifedoesnotbeatme CHarran 1 900 222 LASH

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » February 8th, 2012, 10:04 am

and why kev eh go up for marketing sub committee? stuepse

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 8th, 2012, 10:13 am

MG Man, willing to help out hoss? Serious!

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm

nah, I don't work well in groups
but ah done tell anthony ah go help him, but mostly cuz he so cute

Advertisement

Return to “CARS - Autocross (Solodex)”