44%
Not Sure
11%

Total votes: 18

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Poll: Powersellers and Buyers

Postby Gladiator » March 22nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

Would you be in favour of a government regulatory body doing standardized testing on car audio equipment to ensure adherence to performance and safety standards and ensuring advertising information (output, thd, current draw etc) is accurate?

The eventual goal of course will be to protect customer interest, and prevent dumping of inferior goods in the Trinidad market.

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Poll: Powersellers and Buyers

Postby kurpal_v2 » March 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

No, mainly because you mentioned government. IMO they have a lot to focus on getting right before thinking about a small segment of their population. (by government I mean both opposition and ruling parties)

Also afaik TTBS is in charge of protecting buyers locally and for standardised testing CEA ratings usually take precedence here.

IMO not a worthy cause.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » March 22nd, 2012, 7:28 pm

I agree with boom. This is a non issue.

People who are powersellers should already be well aware of what's good and what's not and CEA standards are good enough.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » March 22nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

this is a can of worms

in this day & age there is so much online info & forums on d net that ppl can take some time to read & educate themselves on whats good & whats not , so in d end its up to d consumer to make a suitable choice

besides d govt have waaaaaaaaaaay more pressing issues to attend to ... :|

MBC Autotronix
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby MBC Autotronix » March 22nd, 2012, 8:10 pm

I think it might be a good thing if it could happen....i mean it shud be a formof Quality control right?

BUT .....NO WHERE in the world ESPECIALLY Trinidad that would work.

This would just increase prices over all across the board because more than likely, importers would have to bear this extra cost... and then people (esp Trinis) would still NOT want to pay for a good or even Thoroughly Tested product.

AS boom said, people importing electronics LEGALLY already have to pay hefty fees to TTBS...which is none refundable.

I agree with ALL the points boom, evolution7tt and Rovin pointed out.

Buy reputable brands from Authorised dealers or legitimate sources and you should have no problems with manufacturers defects.....MANY of the electronic equipment (Especially the more reputable brands) which end up in Trinidad from other huge wholesalers are sold waaay below USA/European prices and are often "B-stock" and/or refurbs.....then consumers (some aware, some not) buy these because of the price and because "they getting a bess price/piper price", purchase the items, get reall trouble with it den blame the brand.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 22nd, 2012, 9:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys....keep the discussion going.

The regulatory body I speak of is the TTBS and I am looking at the possibility of adding mobile electronics to the range of testing for quality control.

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » March 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

^^ How would that work?

And how would it change the costs already associated with ttbs?

Expanding TTBS portfolio is the best way of proceeding with such a venture BUT the effect on the end-consumer might not be as great on the benifits. Jus saying.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 23rd, 2012, 7:57 pm

Thanks again for sharing your views fellas...

Lets look at it from another angle, using PowersellerX as an example...

Say PowersellerX decides to expand his market and bring in a low cost brand of amps and speakers to target the low end market. He has a couple brands to choose to bring. The brands are chinese made products of non-popular brands and do not have CEA certification.

If TTBS provides a service whereby standardized tests can be done on speakers and amplifiers to get certified information such as the power output, thd, failure analysis, protection device/circuits, impedance etc Will PowersellerX use this service to first test a sample/s of each brand to determine which product is the best one to invest in.

The advantages to PowersellerX would be-

1. He will choose a better product and will in turn transfer this value to his customer.
2. He will have assurance that the product will perform as advertised.
3. He will have less headache with disgruntled customers with failed units looking for refunds etc.
4. He will improve/maintain his reputation in the car audio market.
5. He will gain financially.
6. His investment will be sure and can guarantee some profit.

The costs of the tests will be minimal (<$3000 per unit) and the results will be in a report that is verified. He can also get a certificate to display in his store to show that his product can hold up to scrutiny and this will show his customers that he cares about selling quality.

Will PowersellerX and other importers/retailers use this service? Keep in mind that there will be no taxation involved and the report will be confidential and be solely the property of PowersellerX.

Your views please...
Last edited by Gladiator on March 24th, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » March 24th, 2012, 9:46 am

interesting ...
Last edited by - Rovin's car audio - on March 24th, 2012, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 24th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Fixed... :)
Last edited by Gladiator on March 24th, 2012, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 24th, 2012, 12:56 pm

kurpal_v2 wrote:No, mainly because you mentioned government. IMO they have a lot to focus on getting right before thinking about a small segment of their population. (by government I mean both opposition and ruling parties)

Also afaik TTBS is in charge of protecting buyers locally and for standardised testing CEA ratings usually take precedence here.

IMO not a worthy cause.

this

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 29th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Bump...

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 29th, 2012, 8:04 pm

too many crooked power sellers in car audio just to make a buck

DE AUDIO
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby DE AUDIO » March 29th, 2012, 9:37 pm

This makes no sense

shady sellers & shady products

I doubt powersellers gonna pay for this service especially when they know their product is not even worth the time.

What you need to do - is get those products out of the market and protect consumers

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 2nd, 2012, 9:17 am

You may be surprised to know that there are many counterfeiters bringing in products with fake markings CEA ratings included....

DE AUDIO
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby DE AUDIO » April 2nd, 2012, 11:32 am

I know we replace alot, too bad its the consumer that loses in the long-run. However I dont see re-sellers interested in this service especially the ones that import the inferior products. I also dont see any authorized dealers using this service also since most deal with brands that are already CEA certified.

You need to take a different approach with this - more aimed at lifting the standards of inferior products. Re-sellers will not pay for this, you would need to use legislation etc. something like what they do for inspecting cars maybe....

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 23rd, 2012, 11:24 am

Thanks for the input DE AUDIO

Any other views...

Would sellers be interested in certificates of conformance WRT CEA ratings and manufacturer's specs.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » April 24th, 2012, 6:02 am

As DEAUDIO says
authorised dist wont be as they are already dealing direct with reputable companies who's standards of testing is much higher than what TTBS can offer (no offense to anyone)

issue would really be for those who are importing lesser known brands with no real support from the company etc

eg

individual x is selling his own "brand" equipment locally who determines the quality standard on the product? has esting been done at known independent reputable labs or just some specs posted that may be a cut and paste from someone elses specs....

i belive this should be more towards locally produced brands

as for copies and fake ratings of reputable brands.....this will always occur as its worldwide and there will always be consumers who want a cheaper product

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”