TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

I am Considering

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
lighthammer
punchin NOS

Re: I am Considering

Postby lighthammer » April 13th, 2012, 10:33 am

3stagevtec wrote:That's a bad message some of you all sending about off roading. You don't need a dedicated off road rig, locking differentials, massive lug tyres, pretty flares etc to enjoy the sport..

If you dig through the off road forum, you will see many stories of guys with regular and mildly modified vehicles exploring the country and having a great time doing so.. and all of them did so with their daily rides.

If you want to go into true hardcore off roading, well, that's a completely different story from what is being discussed here..

agreed.
True offroad rigs are a compltely different class of vehicle to what most of us drive. these vehicles are purpose built and have no real place in daily life. of course you could try driving a fully modded jimny/rocky/landcruiser/jeep to work everyday, but then your ride and comfort is compromised.

A stock vehicle with good all terrains and a capable driver will go pretty far, and even a fairly inexperienced driver can be surprised with what these trucks can do.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 13th, 2012, 10:55 am

3stagevtec wrote:You do know it doesn't get any cheaper, even if you buy that Hilux right.. Break an axle in that and you gonna see some stress finding parts at decent prices. If the engine lets go, because of age, that's more headache. Some of the Side B Toyota men could give you an idea on what repair costs look like.

I am sure your Ranger is stronger and will outlast that Hilux. There are two things you will have to look out for of course, your automatic transmission (just change the fluid yearly) and try not to bump into trees etc.. The latter shouldn't happen often because it's not everyday you go on the really difficult trails.

Look my bro has done all the difficult trails with us and he has never damaged anything in his B2500 up until this point.. and he roughed up that truck quite abit at times.. The more trails you come on with us, the more you will learn about what Lighthammer is saying, sometimes a slow approach with careful power delivery is all you really need..

You have a real strong tough ride, don't rush to 'upgrade' and 'lift kit' etc etc.. Just get yourself some decent tyres and you will be impressed at what your stock rig is capable of.

(and don't compare your truck to mine, I am playing with a small SUV that was never built as strong as your average pickup, so mods were necessary for me to catch up with everyone else)

i go deal with you when i see you :D :D :D

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 13th, 2012, 11:04 am

200,000 Vehicle!
Attachments
DSC00213.jpg

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 13th, 2012, 11:19 am

fail^^^??

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 13th, 2012, 12:06 pm

no, win!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 13th, 2012, 12:10 pm

You see, the nature of Nissans is to dig and look for mud, that's what they've been bred for. Obviously this specimen as seen in the picture is unsatisfied with the amount of mud it has found on the surface of the earth, and has resorted to seeking for more mud in the subterranean depths of the earth's crust.

Unfortunately the poor creature was left unsatisfied as the hoomans around it decided to pull it out of the earth before it could complete its mud-seeking task.

That my friend, is why it is WIN.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 13th, 2012, 2:35 pm

TL you really have a "bess ride" there, I know about the 3.0 EFi Hilux first hand. very comfortable and powerful too. Thats what had me thinking about so much.

Who ever buy that will have a really good vehicle to last a long time. Good luck padna.

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » April 13th, 2012, 4:28 pm

lighthammer wrote:Image

You see, the nature of Nissans is to dig and look for mud, that's what they've been bred for. Obviously this specimen as seen in the picture is unsatisfied with the amount of mud it has found on the surface of the earth, and has resorted to seeking for more mud in the subterranean depths of the earth's crust.

Unfortunately the poor creature was left unsatisfied as the hoomans around it decided to pull it out of the earth before it could complete its mud-seeking task.

That my friend, is why it is WIN.

:lol:

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 13th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Team Loco wrote:
3stagevtec wrote:You do know it doesn't get any cheaper, even if you buy that Hilux right.. Break an axle in that and you gonna see some stress finding parts at decent prices. If the engine lets go, because of age, that's more headache. Some of the Side B Toyota men could give you an idea on what repair costs look like.

I am sure your Ranger is stronger and will outlast that Hilux. There are two things you will have to look out for of course, your automatic transmission (just change the fluid yearly) and try not to bump into trees etc.. The latter shouldn't happen often because it's not everyday you go on the really difficult trails.

Look my bro has done all the difficult trails with us and he has never damaged anything in his B2500 up until this point.. and he roughed up that truck quite abit at times.. The more trails you come on with us, the more you will learn about what Lighthammer is saying, sometimes a slow approach with careful power delivery is all you really need..

You have a real strong tough ride, don't rush to 'upgrade' and 'lift kit' etc etc.. Just get yourself some decent tyres and you will be impressed at what your stock rig is capable of.

(and don't compare your truck to mine, I am playing with a small SUV that was never built as strong as your average pickup, so mods were necessary for me to catch up with everyone else)

i go deal with you when i see you :D :D :D

I was hoping I would have gotten away with that comment!! :lol: :lol:

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 13th, 2012, 4:59 pm

PariaMan wrote:200,000 Vehicle!

Good resale value! :shock:

and hear this scenario..

guy buys a daily driver / older Hilux - $70 - 100k
has to service engine / transmission / transfer case / differentials / power steering / brakes - $3 - 7k
adds full suspension system - $6 - 10k
add mud terrain tyres - $7 - 8K
add winch / recovery gear - $6 - 8k

Then he takes it on a appropriate trail and busts an axle.. blows the head.. etc

Or full of confidence in his new badarse rig, takes it off road and wrecks because he doesn't know how to drive..

This is why I usually recommend to come on a run with us with your fully stock vehicle. When you learn the capabilities of both the vehicle and yourself, then you can make better decisions on how you would like to proceed.

Some guys ended up selling out to go full hardcore, most are quite satisfied with that they already have..

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 14th, 2012, 12:26 am

3stagevtec wrote:Or full of confidence in his new badarse rig, takes it off road and wrecks because he doesn't know how to drive..

This is why I usually recommend to come on a run with us with your fully stock vehicle. When you learn the capabilities of both the vehicle and yourself, then you can make better decisions on how you would like to proceed.

This is the Mantra of Side B.
Learn your vehicle, how it handles, how to handle it. How to read a trail. How to study and apply your vehicle's traits to an obstacle. Learn how to recover a stuck vehicle (safely!!).

Become a better driver first, and then start to upgrade and strengthen your weak points (i.e. tyres, suspension, ground clearance, etc. etc.).

You become a better all-round off-roader and a better driver.

I hope I'm not ruffling anyone's feathers - but I wonder if someone who's been driving only fully-outfitted vehicle for their entire wheelin' career would be able to take a bone-stock truck in and out of a trail?

I'm by no means an expert in offroading, I still have a lot to learn. But... I can safely say that I can confidently take my bone-stock navara with just an upgraded set of all-terrain tyres (and what a set they are!) through a trail and pass over many obstacles that most people would balk and shy away from.

That, is how Side B does roll.

Keep On Truckin'.

Smeed
Sweet on this forum

Postby Smeed » April 14th, 2012, 2:21 pm

lighthammer wrote:
3stagevtec wrote:Or full of confidence in his new badarse rig, takes it off road and wrecks because he doesn't know how to drive..

Learn your vehicle, how it handles, how to handle it. How to read a trail. How to study and apply your vehicle's traits to an obstacle. Learn how to recover a stuck vehicle (safely!!).

Become a better driver first, and then start to upgrade and strengthen your weak points (i.e. tyres, suspension, ground clearance, etc. etc.).

I hope I'm not ruffling anyone's feathers - but I wonder if someone who's been driving only fully-outfitted vehicle for their entire wheelin' career would be able to take a bone-stock truck in and out of a trail?

I'm by no means an expert in offroading, I still have a lot to learn. But... I can safely say that I can confidently take my bone-stock navara with just an upgraded set of all-terrain tyres (and what a set they are!) through a trail and pass over many obstacles that most people would balk and shy away from.

Keep On Truckin'.

Amen to dat bro....... (it have men who make morne diablo on "driveway" tires ) :shock: :shock:

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » April 15th, 2012, 12:36 am

Well said! Well said!

It all varies depending on one's personal objectives and budget!

It's ALL good.... Just!

Keep On Truckin!

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 15th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Good points except for me where i live you must have a card to go to work ect.
I have no access to another car otherwise.
To take a risk and damage that on a trail and end up without a car for a while is not an option.

So it is not only about the cost.

If you have a dedicated rig and it is damaged (less chance since it will have some Mud Terrains and associated gear) I can take my time and fix it at the appropriate time.

Restricting the daily ride to only the best roads should make it last longer too!

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Smeed wrote:
lighthammer wrote:

Keep On Truckin'.

Amen to dat bro....... (it have men who make morne diablo on "driveway" tires ) :shock: :shock:

so what? yuh trying to shine my driveway terrains up orr bigg man???

lol.................

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 16th, 2012, 9:52 pm

PariaMan wrote:Good points except for me where i live you must have a card to go to work ect.
To take a risk and damage that on a trail and end up without a car for a while is not an option.

If you have a dedicated rig and it is damaged (less chance since it will have some Mud Terrains and associated gear) I can take my time and fix it at the appropriate time.

Restricting the daily ride to only the best roads should make it last longer too!

See, in your case, a dedicated rig would make more sense, as you are limited to having one vehicle as a daily driver and can't afford to risk it.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 17th, 2012, 1:16 am

PariaMan wrote:Good points except for me where i live you must have a card to go to work ect.

this was kinda one of my points

the best tyres and the best driver may still incur trail damage as trail conditions are not always predictable or sometimes maneuvers do not always execute as planned . . . just saying

when you look at off-road accidents even with fully prepped rigs they are often done by experienced drivers as some of these maneuvrs are only undertaken by experienced drivers

e.g. in this video it seems an amateur inexperienced driver [with a decent set of tyres] was at fault. An experience driver would have used a bettter approach angle

that looks like a daily driver, now badly damaged

in this video a stock vehicle incurrs some minor damage

and a fully prepped vehicle possibly dedicated rig (maybe with experienced driver) gets damaged

again, fully prepped dedicated rig with possibly experienced driver gets damaged easily

which of these do you think hurt the owner's the most :?:

I'm guessing the Pajero

also if you have a dedicated rig you will be more inclined to be more adventurous as you may not second think risk of damage

it is really up to the owner's appetite for risk of damage and willingness to repair

i am not bashing anyone's off-roading preference, just discussing teh pro's and con's

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

I am Considering

Postby civic minded » April 17th, 2012, 6:58 am

Those vidz real scary boi, the first one could be easily avoided. The approach angle was wrong. But the rest - damn!!

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 18th, 2012, 12:27 am

That 1st video can be comparable to the same driver making it successfully out of the trail in his rig and then getting into a road accident on the way home.. It's going to hurt you either way. The majority of off road (and on road) accidents could be avoided if you take your time and analyse the terrain properly.

If you intend to take off roading to the next level, then obviously you are going to begin taking more known risks and it will be alot better to own a dedicated rig..

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 18th, 2012, 9:14 am

3stagevtec wrote:That 1st video can be comparable to the same driver making it successfully out of the trail in his rig and then getting into a road accident on the way home.. It's going to hurt you either way. The majority of off road (and on road) accidents could be avoided if you take your time and analyse the terrain properly.

If you intend to take off roading to the next level, then obviously you are going to begin taking more known risks and it will be alot better to own a dedicated rig..

Question: does insurance cover off roading?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 18th, 2012, 11:30 am

PariaMan wrote:Question: does insurance cover off roading?

Nope.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”