Forums

Lookking for an SQ subwoofer

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Isaiah
Ricer

Postby Isaiah » April 22nd, 2012, 2:05 pm

These are what are being recommended RF, SA, T3 it would be powered by an PA4000D amp. I am looking for good clean lows

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Lookking for an SQ subwoofer

Postby nervewrecker » April 22nd, 2012, 2:59 pm

here we go again.

ChristianRD
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ChristianRD » April 22nd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Isaiah wrote:These are what are being recommended RF, SA, T3 it would be powered by an PA4000D amp. I am looking for good clean lows

SQ you say ???

Elaborate more, kind sir.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 22nd, 2012, 4:07 pm

Lets start with a clean source, good eq and power..then we'll talk low inductance drivers.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm

he probably wanna hear something like:

ear dan, I hah ah "brand X subwoofer" and watch meh, it does push real lows jed. Meh parden rishi from up de road buil it wid he speks and we hah it on ah boss mono with 4 capacator. Manufacturah speks dem say it cold take "x amount" of powah but it handling moar. It does belt out lows from all dem kartel and sheba songs, we have 4 RCF and de bassline drowning it fuss it loud.
Doh worry wid "barnd Y", meh naybor hah 2 ah dat an ah biggah amp, sunil de buil he box dem and it in ah wagon so yuh know it loud. My subs dem throw down that, yuh does hear it from the next block and the mids line clean clean. Rishi did tell me use de clarion mdc360 and ah have 3 preamps for real processng so yuh know it clean. tek wah ah tellig yuh, "brand x" good fuh lows and SQ, plus it does take rel power.

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 22nd, 2012, 4:50 pm

Devils advocate here.

Now I know that you golden eared few could hear the difference in damping factors and such in a moving vehicle no less, but I'd really like to know why you think that the OP is being unreasonable in his question?

Is it because PA is not a "sq" brand?

Anybody?

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 22nd, 2012, 5:30 pm

I for one think today's amps are very forgiving and given blind tests, damping factor would be the last of your issues. Hell, you can control damn near any old sub with servo tech. But i think the Op needs to really state what exactly he is aiming for.Wanting low lows and SQ are very, very far apart not that they can't be correlated but the aims stated and the title is a bit misleading . We really can't give a proper and useful answer based on what was stated.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 22nd, 2012, 6:51 pm

Firewall wrote:Devils advocate here.

Now I know that you golden eared few could hear the difference in damping factors and such in a moving vehicle no less, but I'd really like to know why you think that the OP is being unreasonable in his question?

Is it because PA is not a "sq" brand?

Anybody?

that + its highly inefficient.

I am no big expert but switching from a quantum audio QA1800d to MTX mxa 600.1 yielded a difference in sound. Same sub, impedance, rca's etc, it was a direct swap and I was using an external xover to do my adjustments.
Quantum sounded a bit rough and dirty on the bass plus it seemed to have a higher current draw (dimming lights), MTX was smooth right through and no dimming.
I am pretty sure no PA amp aint gonna match up to any of the popular amps used for SQ.

WRT 'lows' etc, enclosure design has a huge effect on the sound as well.

He already got a pretty good offer on a popular SQ sub, IDMAX and SQ usually goes hand in hand.

Isaiah
Ricer

Postby Isaiah » April 22nd, 2012, 8:05 pm

My fault excuse my ignorance i was previously running 2 Kicker L's this sub gets pretty loud bass but it is not what i want, i was told those are more SPL subwoofers.What i am looking for is a sub to give some clean low bass. BTW the PA amp is an incredible monoblock but trini's feel if it aint "brand " it aint no good.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 22nd, 2012, 8:12 pm

When you say SQ I think linearity.... I doubt you really care for linearity. I know someone with an almost new Orion HCCA 12" PM me if you want his contact.
Last edited by Gladiator on April 22nd, 2012, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isaiah
Ricer

Postby Isaiah » April 22nd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Additionally i am running 2 10' 18 sounds, 2 drivers. 2 8' 18 sounds doors, powered by powerbass 600.4 and 800.2 (2) memphis crossover, cadence pre amp and an alphine deck. I have 2 rocket batteries.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 22nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

is not a matter of 'if it aint brand it aint good' look at my comparison from going from an 1800 watt amp to a 600watt, you get what you pay for.
The PA is highly inefficient and does not do anywhere close to 4000watts.

what makes a sub an spl sub btw? kickers can get low, its all about the box design. I see you had 2, what volume enclosure you had them in if you dont mind me asking? kickers require a rather large box iirc.

WTF is alphine btw?

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 22nd, 2012, 9:23 pm

If i recall correctly, kicker L7's have won SQ trophies over at usac/iasca events. Its mainly install and integration with the rest of your components. A true sq setup, you won't even know a 'sub' is present until you turn it off. A w6v2 is very dry and will give you transparency if that's what you are after. Their low end is excellent if you throw in a relatively large, low tuned enclosure. I think that or an idq or idmax is a great choice with the proper planning, design and implementation- they're a bit more...outgoing*

oh yeah, my 04 s10l7 d2 in a 2.5cu.ft. @ 26hz...lows were no short of absolutely sickening.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 22nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

most might go for the ID series subs over the kickers because of the enclosure size. I wanted to hear the op reason why the l7 is not an 'sq sub' :lol:

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » April 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am

i think a better title wud be something like "looking for a low bass subwoofer"

look up d meaning of thiele small speaker parameters than look at those specs in whatever brand of subs it is ...

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 23rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

Isaiah wrote:Additionally i am running 2 10' 18 sounds, 2 drivers. 2 8' 18 sounds doors, powered by powerbass 600.4 and 800.2 (2) memphis crossover, cadence pre amp and an alphine deck. I have 2 rocket batteries.

Try retuning your current enclosure.. Do you know what the L7's are currently tuned to? Enclosure tuning can make a huge difference in the way a subwoofer sounds..

I am currently running a Digital Designs subwoofer (know for being loud) in a lower tuning enclosure and I really like the way it sounds. Reasonably loud while hitting all the low notes..

indianlove
3NE 2NR for life

Postby indianlove » April 23rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

Isaiah wrote:Additionally i am running 2 10' 18 sounds, 2 drivers. 2 8' 18 sounds doors, powered by powerbass 600.4 and 800.2 (2) memphis crossover, cadence pre amp and an alphine deck. I have 2 rocket batteries.

you using pro audio speakers for mids and you want a sq sub :shock:

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » April 23rd, 2012, 2:33 pm

pioneer 307 breddas

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » April 23rd, 2012, 3:38 pm

nervewrecker wrote:I am pretty sure no PA amp aint gonna match up to any of the popular amps used for SQ.

Ur kidding right? I guess you've never seen nor heard about the Reference Series or the Rubicon Series of amps from PA?

What many fail to realize is because someone doesn't compete in SQ competitions does not mean that they are not into Sound Quality. As a matter of opinion, i think that there are many more persons with SQ systems that do not compete than those with systems who do. It may not be competition grade stuff, in the strict sense of the word, but SQ nonetheless.

Take for example Alpine and Pioneer head units. Are all Alpine units SQ grade? Maybe. Is the same true for Pioneer? Maybe not. But both manufacturers produce competition grade lines that are very impressive pieces of electronics.

So on that note I would like to also ask what exactly are the 'popular amps used for SQ'? Would you consider PPI to be a sound quality amp? Or the Cobalt series from Orion? No?

But if I said Zapco, DLS, Linear Power, Alpine, JL Audio you'd say hell yeah rite?

Hmmmmm......carry on then.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 23rd, 2012, 4:04 pm

I wonder if anyone in T&T's tried one of the Dayton RS subs, e.g. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=295-466? Seems like a lot of sub for just under US$150, and lot of specs exist for it (as compared to the usual "power handling and magnet size" specs given for most other car audio subs).

OffshoreMarketing
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby OffshoreMarketing » April 23rd, 2012, 4:08 pm

`^^^ always wanted a shiva

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » April 23rd, 2012, 4:10 pm

gt4tified wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:I am pretty sure no PA amp aint gonna match up to any of the popular amps used for SQ.

Ur kidding right? I guess you've never seen nor heard about the Reference Series or the Rubicon Series of amps from PA?

What many fail to realize is because someone doesn't compete in SQ competitions does not mean that they are not into Sound Quality. As a matter of opinion, i think that there are many more persons with SQ systems that do not compete than those with systems who do. It may not be competition grade stuff, in the strict sense of the word, but SQ nonetheless.

Take for example Alpine and Pioneer head units. Are all Alpine units SQ grade? Maybe. Is the same true for Pioneer? Maybe not. But both manufacturers produce competition grade lines that are very impressive pieces of electronics.

So on that note I would like to also ask what exactly are the 'popular amps used for SQ'? Would you consider PPI to be a sound quality amp? Or the Cobalt series from Orion? No?

But if I said Zapco, DLS, Linear Power, Alpine, JL Audio you'd say hell yeah rite?

Shhh.... they are on to you... One must never post sense round these parts....

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 23rd, 2012, 4:18 pm

OffshoreMarketing wrote:`^^^ always wanted a shiva

The old Adire Audio Shiva (standard motor) lives on in the Dayton Audio DVC310-88 - see http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=295-185. All that's changed is the label on the magnet and the terminals. Performance is exactly the same as the Adire Audio Shiva. SEALED BOX ONLY if planning to use in car audio. 1.2~ 2. cu.ft. per sub. I used to use two of the Shivas. Nice clean bass, but not much in the looks department. If hidden away in your trunk, who cares what they look like? :-)

The Exodus Audio Shiva (with the XBL2 motor) is no longer manufactured.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 23rd, 2012, 5:39 pm

Yerp dayton has a lot of drop in's for old mki adires.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 24th, 2012, 8:55 pm

gt4tified wrote:

I not saying PA may not have had great amps at one point in time (never heard of those you talking about btw, I think boss had a few good ones back in the day before they started focusing on quantity and not quality like most other brands) but when last you see any of those? All I seeing is the rated up demons, gothic, db and fanatik set.
Now we gonna get into the argument of if we can hear a difference between amps and my answer is yes. There will be a difference in sound between those crappy over rated stuff and pretty moderate / affordable stuff and some of the high end / big name equipment.
The fact is he come in here talking about sq and associating the ability to hit a low note with a sq system, really...I mean really? any system that can play the full bandwidth is sq now? so we have sq and crap basically then? 2 categories.
I not disagreeing that there are some finely tuned systems out here with great sound quality but there is a bit of a difference between a system with good sound reproduction capabilities and actual sq systems.
Whats wrong with the Cobalt amps anyways? :D

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » April 25th, 2012, 12:39 am

Boss never made any amps worthy of being classified as SQ amps. Anyway, I myself got a bit mixed up in my last post....its Soundstream that made the Rubicon and their reference line. The PA I was referring to was their initial models that weren’t badged as Gothic or Fanatik or whatever....they were simply PA. Those were well made for the price. The first set of Gothic lines were also decent.

I hear you on the point you’re making.

Cobalt amps are fantastic btw.....as are some of the older model PPI amps. It was a rhetorical question really.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”