Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014

- It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
twicedead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 am 
Sweet on this forum

prophets of doom

Rainman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:59 am 
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

twicedead wrote:
prophets of doom

Guy sounds like optimus prime :|

Damien
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:40 am 
punchin NOS

hmmm interesting videos

twicedead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm 
Sweet on this forum

STRESS: PORTRAIT OF A KILLER

shogun
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Damien wrote:
hmmm interesting videos

Fur real.

twicedead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:29 pm 
Sweet on this forum

India's Caste System.

sharkman121
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

zeitgeist vids should be added to this thread

nareshseep
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
punchin NOS

KOTF wrote:
WELL IT'S HERE!

Same thing I saying all the time he is the antichrist.....

rossi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 pm 
punchin NOS

Very interesting vids here....

I actually have a padna who has been right twice in the past, 9/11 and Japan's earthquake/tsunami.
I know it's weird but he told me about enslavement when the aliens do come in the future.

Who knows.

twicedead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm 
Sweet on this forum

SICKO
SICKo is a documentary from Michael Moore that reveals the many failures of the current American health care system.

twicedead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 am 
Sweet on this forum

Mugabe and tbe White African

twicedead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm 
Sweet on this forum

incredible creatures that defy evolution

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 847151230#

sMASH
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:25 am 
punchin NOS

just humbling at 17 min

shogun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:24 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Interesting stuff, on that Mugabe documentary there, twicedead.

American author, inventor and futurist Raymond Kurzweil.

mamoo_pagal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm 
I LUV THIS PLACE

^^^that is scary

twicedead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm 
Sweet on this forum

Just saw this documentary on the History Channel, can't find the full movie on youtube though, this is the trailer. The nuclear threat I think is a much more real threat than the possibility of AI could ever present, from a historical perspective.

sMASH
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 am 
punchin NOS

http://arnett.us.com/psc/pbd.html

We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

mamoo_pagal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:57 pm 
I LUV THIS PLACE

Flow for the love of water...........must watch

sMASH
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:05 pm 
punchin NOS

sMASH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:15 am 
punchin NOS

documentary series called the shape of life, first episode is boring but all are quite thought provoking

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?annotation_id=annotation_202422&p=B2F3762BB45B5220&feature=iv&src_vid=UN46UxRvUtI

dok_tec
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:52 am 
Chronic TriniTuner

sMASH
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm 
punchin NOS

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/ ... =allsearch

'Living' buildings could inhale city carbon emissions - CNN.com
By George Webster , for CNN
2011-10-14T12:56:58Z

A graphical representation of London's "living" skyline as envisaged by award-winning architect Richard Hyams.

London (CNN) -- What if buildings had lungs that could absorb carbon emissions from the city and convert them into something useful? What if they had skin that could control their temperature without the need for radiators or air-conditioning? What if buildings could come "alive?"

Science fiction?

"Not as such," claims Dr Rachel Armstrong, senior TED fellow and co-director of Avatar, a research group exploring the potential of advanced technologies in architecture. "Over the next 40 years, 'living' buildings -- biologically programmed to extract carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere -- could fill our cities."

Armstrong works on the cutting edge of "synthetic biology," a relatively new science devoted to the manufacture of life-like matter from synthesized chemicals, and is something of an evangelist for the discipline.

The chemicals Armstrong works with, concocted in the lab, are engineered to behave like organic microorganisms -- with the added benefit that they can be manipulated to do things nature can't. Armstrong refers to them as "protocells."

"For instance, a protocell could be mixed with wall paint and programmed to produce limestone when exposed to carbon (dioxide) on the surface of a building," she said. "Then you've got a paint that can actually eat carbon and change it into a shell-like substance."

So, just as iron rusts when it comes into contact with oxygen and water, protocells can produce simple chemical reactions when they come into contact with carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules, turning the CO2 into calcium carbonate, or limestone, which stops the greenhouse gas from rising up into the ozone layer.

As a by-product of this process, the British scientist says that limestone produced by protocells could naturally "heal" micro-fractures in walls, channeling through tiny breaks, helping to extend the life of any structure it was painted on to.

"And not only that," added Armstrong. "The thickness of the limestone will grow over time, creating insulation and allowing your building to retain more heat or indeed sheltering it from heating up underneath the sun."

The layer of limestone could take anywhere between a year and a decade to form depending on the concentration of carbon dioxide in the surrounding air. However Armstrong says that "eventually we will see protocell technology become self-repleting (able to replenish itself) and (it) will be considered alive."

Dick Kitney is professor of bio-engineering at Imperial College London and co-director of the Centre for Synthetic Biology and Innovation. He says that, while the concept is sound, moving it into industrial production is a different story.

"It's a question of scalability," he said. "Getting the process to work in the lab is one thing, but after that you need to work very closely with major industrial manufacturers to understand if it is at all possible to produce on a mass scale. Sometimes it's just not possible."

Kitney says that nobody has yet managed to get any synthetic biological product to the manufacturing stage: "The science is being taken very seriously -- particularly in the UK and U.S. ... but it's still early days."

While Armstrong says the science has been proven in the lab, she too acknowledges that commercial applications are still some years down the road.

"This is bulk chemical manufacturing we're talking about, so the process is slow," she said. "If it were pharmaceuticals it would be much quicker."

But Armstrong's work is gaining interest from the industrial sector. "There's a traditional paint manufacturer here in the UK that is looking into it, but we're all under non-disclosure agreements," she said.

Armstrong admits that, at present, the paint would be capable of absorbing only a tiny fraction of the carbon dioxide emitted in a city like London, which spewed out around 42 million tons in 2009, according to government figures.

"The primitive paints we are developing are not very efficient yet, " she added.

Armstrong doesn't think the paint will be ready for market much before 2014 and, at this stage, she cannot comment on how much it will cost to produce commercially. Despite this, she says a major Australian property developer has already placed a future order for it.

Read related: The art of mapping carbons

Award-winning British architect Richard Hyams, who worked for 12 years under internationally renowned architect Norman Foster before setting up his own practice, is also an advocate of self-regulating building materials.

But, he says, attitudes will have to change before this technology makes it into the mainstream.

"As with any significant step-change, it's slow to take off," said Hyams. "From developers, to agents, to buyers themselves, people generally don't want to be the first to risk investment in a relatively untested industry when the costs are high."

In addition, says Hyams, legislation is slow, "slicing off the worst building practices from the bottom, rather than advancing the best ideas at the top."

However, Armstrong and Hyams agree that, as the burden on cities to reduce their vast carbon footprints intensifies, the market will look to more radical solutions.

"We're also currently experimenting with the process of bioluminescence," said Hyams. "The idea is that carbon is absorbed by a building to create light. Can you imagine a whole city lit by the walls of its own buildings?"

Whatever the future has in store, our relationship with cities' megastructures and the carbon they produce will likely change. Armstrong concludes with a sobering thought:

"At present, buildings are big machines that take our resources and turn them into poison. In effect, we are living in their waste like we were living in the effluent of animals during the Agrarian revolution."
© 2011 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

sMASH
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm 
punchin NOS

BlueGalant HD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 am 
TriniTuner Crew

BlueGalant HD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 am 
TriniTuner Crew

dougla_boy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 am 
TriniTuner 24-7

*subscribed*

on another note, as much as i enjoy these thought provoking and insightful vids, i sometimes think seeking knowledge can lead to disaster for a person of faith.........hence why i am very careful of what vids, books, articles i read/look.

sMASH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 am 
punchin NOS

if it can be disastrous, then that doesn't say much about it.

the credo i am taught is to seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave... and there is much out there to learn.

dougla_boy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 am 
TriniTuner 24-7

sMASH wrote:
if it can be disastrous, then that doesn't say much about it.

the credo i am taught is to seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave... and there is much out there to learn.

true, but still tho, i have faith in God, and i dont want knowledge that can make me second guess that faith. but i do agree there is much to learn, just gotta be wise what u put in that cranium u have there

sMASH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 am 
punchin NOS

i crave knowledge which makes me second guess it... if it is true, it would hold firm. if it is not, then i have learnt that what i had was false. so far, so good.

Peanut Punch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm 
2NRholic

wow good read .. great vids too 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next