this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The *Official* GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby sharkman121 » May 6th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Jonathan_337 wrote:
M_2NR wrote:

the best comment i heard thus far about the sgs iii was the talk about the removable battery and someone said "too bad it doesn't have removable ugly" :lol:

^ LOLLLL

:lol:

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 6th, 2012, 6:14 pm

sharkman121 wrote:
Jonathan_337 wrote:
M_2NR wrote:

the best comment i heard thus far about the sgs iii was the talk about the removable battery and someone said "too bad it doesn't have removable ugly" :lol:

^ LOLLLL

:rofl:

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » May 6th, 2012, 6:28 pm

S_2NR wrote:
sharkman121 wrote:
Jonathan_337 wrote:
M_2NR wrote:

^ LOLLLL

:rofl:

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » May 6th, 2012, 7:18 pm

IMO there really has to be a limit for the size of phones now.
If you want a tablet, then get a tablet. if Apple goes ahead making their iphones bigger (which I doubt), they'll start to cannibalise their iPad sales I think.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 6th, 2012, 7:24 pm

looks like my next phone will be an iphone. that is the perfect size. theres a reason apple stuck with that size. its a good compromise.
these android phones on steroids. you could imagine the size of android phones next two, three years? when does it start being ridiculous?

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » May 6th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Some say Phablets are the next big think in mobile technology. There will always be people who are gullible and have deep pockets.

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » May 6th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Screen size appears to be the new "in-thing" just like megapixel count for cameras. To me, it's just a way to sell more products and argue with your friends about whose penis/screen is bigger, but there will be the user-base that actually has a need for real estate on these device types. I don't think I'm one of them.
My friends always try to convince me that the iPhone is the best, and my phone is crap because of the resolution. I say, what discernable difference in the usage of the phone depends on the jump from 217 ppi to 330 ppi other than bragging rights? It's stupid, but it sells phones.

Android has outgrown the moniker of smartphone, these devices are now full fledged mini-tablets. What's the difference between my Galaxy S2, and a Galaxy Tab 10.1? The physical size, that's it.
The question you have to ask, is whether you really wanted just the smartphone in the first place (how I miss my E51).

Apple is in a good place right now because they clearly define their phone from their tablet. The iPod touch is in an awkward position, I don't know that the product would survive. These larger Androids are kinda iffy, it's either you want something pocketable, or a full tablet. I can't see that I would benefit by having a 5" phone.

Android devices place the onus on the user to really determine what their needs are and choose the right device (and boy is there variety in that choice). It's the classic PC vs Mac showdown all over again.

I'm not saying I don't like my S2, I love it. There are things it can do that make it indispensable (about 10 percent of the time like watching a video when I don't have a bigger screen available and I'm bored, or snapping a quick photo when my camera isn't around), but most times even a Blackberry would have sufficed and probably be better too (typing long emails/text msgs, actually making a call).

What do you really want in a device these days, and what do you actually need/use?

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 6th, 2012, 7:52 pm

S_2NR wrote:looks like my next phone will be an iphone. that is the perfect size. theres a reason apple stuck with that size. its a good compromise.
these android phones on steroids. you could imagine the size of android phones next two, three years? when does it start being ridiculous?

Are you saying that 3.5 inches is perfect?

If the next iPhone turns out to be a 4 inch device, would that be perfect also?

When phones get to big, customers would speak where it counts, with their money, Samsung took a chance with the Galaxy Note and it worked, it worked because there is a market for it, don't mistake your personal preference as the choice of the General market.

Personally, the SGS2 was good for me with regards to size, I haven't held a bigger device, so I think it's wrong to make a comment on it, 3.5 inches is annoyingly small (for me) yet some find that to be ideal, there are people that walk around with a 7 inch Tablet in their pockets and they find that to be ideal, I can't see why people cannot seem to separate personal preference from anything else.

Just buy what you prefer and leave the rest for those who prefer it, your choice is no better than the choice made by any other person. Everyone in here talking about what to big, how many of you guys went out to buy a HTC One V, how many of you even mentioned it or even know that it exists?

Not one

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 6th, 2012, 7:57 pm

^^dude u are barking up the wrong tree. :lol:
im in no way an apple fan boy. i find 3.5" to be a good compromise. 4" being the max i can tolerate.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 6th, 2012, 8:00 pm

S_2NR wrote:^^dude u are barking up the wrong tree. :lol:
im in no way an apple fan boy. i find 3.5" to be a good compromise. 4" being the max i can tolerate.

Only the first part was directed at you hossy, I wanted to know what you meant by ideal size, 3.5 which is current, or the rumoured 4.0

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 8:18 pm

^ Obviously if I'm buying a phone I do research. The One S and V are the little brother's for those who wanna spend a bit less or need a bit less screen... And I wanted the screen so I went with the X. The One S isn't no slouch from what I've seen though. And the V, idk much about it.

stretch
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stretch » May 6th, 2012, 8:38 pm

liking d size of the one S, thats d maximum size limit for me.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 6th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Jonathan_337 wrote:^ Obviously if I'm buying a phone I do research. The One S and V are the little brother's for those who wanna spend a bit less or need a bit less screen... And I wanted the screen so I went with the X. The One S isn't no slouch from what I've seen though. And the V, idk much about it.

If it had the same internals of the HOX, but with the current 3.7 inch screen, would you have bought it?

How do you think it would sell in the current market? Just fashion a guess

I think it's an experiment by HTC, if there is really a market for Android devices with smaller screens, this phone should sell, at least as much as the Note. Then investments could be made in that size with the latest SoCs, but think of what would be said if the HTC ONE X was in the One V's body, I don't think it would have gone across to well. I could be terribly wrong though.

ryan99tt
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ryan99tt » May 6th, 2012, 9:39 pm

None of this really bothers me becuz i am an apple guy an will always be until i see something that will change my mine...was considering getting the on x for the in between time between now an the release o the new iphone but i decided to wait...i hav had hands on experience with many of the fones u guys are comparing excludint the gs3 and the one x is really nice for a change from an iphone...by the way the gs3 is heavier than the one x...i read that u said that heavier fones give a false sense of build quality...just saying :)

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 9:45 pm

achillies wrote:
Jonathan_337 wrote:^ Obviously if I'm buying a phone I do research. The One S and V are the little brother's for those who wanna spend a bit less or need a bit less screen... And I wanted the screen so I went with the X. The One S isn't no slouch from what I've seen though. And the V, idk much about it.

If it had the same internals of the HOX, but with the current 3.7 inch screen, would you have bought it?

How do you think it would sell in the current market? Just fashion a guess

I think it's an experiment by HTC, if there is really a market for Android devices with smaller screens, this phone should sell, at least as much as the Note. Then investments could be made in that size with the latest SoCs, but think of what would be said if the HTC ONE X was in the One V's body, I don't think it would have gone across to well. I could be terribly wrong though.

Personally I wouldn't have bought it because for the way I use my phones.. Once it can fit in my hand and pocket I'm good. It's not about bragging rights. I just love playing games and doing anything for that matter on a big gorgeous screen. It's personal preference. Obviously as people said there's a limit though. I won't go much bigger than this cuz then it'd just be uncomfortable. The reason I got rid of my iphone in less than 2 months was cuz I couldn't handle the small screen. The One S still keeps up with the One X though, so they're appealing to all markets with the One series. They did well this year, time will tell how they sell.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 6th, 2012, 9:48 pm

ryan99tt wrote:i read that u said that heavier fones give a false sense of build quality...just saying :)

It does, more weight does not mean better build "quality" as was referenced to the weight of the Galaxy SII

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » May 6th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Do you have to cut your sim to use the 1x?

*eyes sg3 pic on other tab*

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm

ZeroOne wrote:Do you have to cut your sim to use the 1x?

*eyes sg3 pic on other tab*

Yup

sentraman
Riding on 17's

Postby sentraman » May 7th, 2012, 7:07 am

ryan99tt wrote:None of this really bothers me becuz i am an apple guy an will always be until i see something that will change my mine...was considering getting the on x for the in between time between now an the release o the new iphone but i decided to wait...i hav had hands on experience with many of the fones u guys are comparing excludint the gs3 and the one x is really nice for a change from an iphone...by the way the gs3 is heavier than the one x...i read that u said that heavier fones give a false sense of build quality...just saying :)

And you know it's true because the iPhone has great build quality and is heavier than both those phones

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 7th, 2012, 8:46 pm

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-and-run-android-4.0-on-mac-windows-pc-or-linux-tutorial/

The mobile smartphone and tablet industry seems to have a very prominent divide, with a lot of consumers having their favorite operating system and choosing to stick to hardware which is powered by their chosen OS. Obviously fans of Apple’s iOS use the iPhone and iPad devices, whereas Android lovers have a wide range of hardware to choose from due to the fact that the OS is available to multiple manufacturers.

But what happens if you are a die hard fan of iOS, or Windows Phone but you still want to sample the delights that Android Ice Cream Sandwich has to offer? I personally am an iPhone user for the last five years and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. But after recently getting my first taste of Android, I am severely tempted to shell out for a second device so I can have the benefits that both provide. For those that can’t, or won’t, purchase a second device then why not run Android 4.0 in virtualization on your desktop or laptop in order to see the Ice Cream Sandwich experience first hand?

Android 4.0 is an operating system in its own right, but instead of running on a dual boot setup, we install and run ICS within a free of charge virtualization application known as VirtualBox. VirtualBox runs like any other application or program on your machine, but offers the benefits of being able to install a secondary OS within it which can be invoked quickly by the user. For all those die hard iOS and Windows Phone fans out there, this is a perfect way to experience the delights of Android.

Are you ready for a whirlwind journey down Ice Cream Sandwich lane? Buckle in and follow the simple steps below.

Step 1: Head over to the official Oracle VM VirtualBox site and download the relevant VirtualBox binary for your computers operating system (Windows/Mac OS X/Linux/Solaris).

Step 2: Find the saved location of the downloaded VirtualBox binary and install as you would with any other native application making sure to follow all on screen prompts and instructions.

Step 3: Head on over to the VMLite website and download a copy of the Ice Cream Sandwich which has been preconfigured for virtualization and features seamless mouse support for navigation. The download weighs in at 88MB in size so may take a while to download depending on your connection.

Step 4: Locate the downloaded ‘Android-v4.7z‘ file and extract the contents from within.

Step 5: Once the Android-v4.7z file has been opened, locate a file from within the archive called ‘Android-v4.vbox‘ which as you can tell by the file extension is a pre configured VirtualBox file.

Step 6: Double click on the Android-v4.vbox file which will load the VirtualBox application and boot up the ICS file.

Step 7: When the boot menu is presented in VirtualBox, press ‘start‘ on the top toolbar and then if required select the ‘Android Startup from /dev/sda‘ option.

Step 8: All steps are complete. Android 4.0 ICS should now be booting up allowing you to enjoy that Android goodness.

Windows and Linux users may find that an alternative, specific version Android 4.0 may be required, which can be found by visting the Android-x86 page. The performance of the Android ICS virtual installation will obviously not be as smooth as intended on an actual device built for purpose, but it does give a feel of the OS with apps being able to launch as well as widget customization.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 7th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Ah feeling to buy a galaxy note for tablet use.
Anybody order that from Amazon can tell me if its categorized under computers (no vat/duty)?

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 7th, 2012, 8:56 pm

S_2NR wrote:

Ah feeling to buy a galaxy note for tablet use.
Anybody order that from Amazon can tell me if its categorized under computers (no vat/duty)?

viewtopic.php?p=6134638#p6134638

Save time :p

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 7th, 2012, 9:18 pm

i want to find out if its taxed first.
if not im getting it for 540US (3456 TT) new on amazon. shipping is a non-issue since its just 2lbs.

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 7th, 2012, 9:41 pm

S_2NR wrote:i want to find out if its taxed first.
if not im getting it for 540US (3456 TT) new on amazon. shipping is a non-issue since its just 2lbs.

That was shipped from Amazon and it cost $1500 to clear :/ so yeah they charge tax but verify with your sources

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 8th, 2012, 10:33 am

"Jonathan_337" you download ne live wallpapers from play store yet?...if so yuh find they sticking ah little?...doh know if they ehh too compatible with ICS yet!

M_2NR
not Admin

The *Official* GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby M_2NR » May 8th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Any of you guys using tasker? It's pretty impressive. It's an automated actions type app which can basically do anything.

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 8th, 2012, 2:10 pm

slickrick777 wrote:"Jonathan_337" you download ne live wallpapers from play store yet?...if so yuh find they sticking ah little?...doh know if they ehh too compatible with ICS yet!

I don't use live wallpapers cuz they kill battery.. But I'll try one when I get home and tell you

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 8th, 2012, 2:12 pm

M_2NR wrote:Any of you guys using tasker? It's pretty impressive. It's an automated actions type app which can basically do anything.

Tried it when I had my S2 but it was too frustrating.. Took too much messing with to get things right for me. Cool if you're a programmer and understand those things better.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 8th, 2012, 3:08 pm

aight kool!

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » May 8th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I've really been looking closely at screen sizes.

See the position I'm in... my phone is to make calls and once in a while read a few sites on the go, check email quickly and play some games while waiting outside Pennywise.

For reading and relaxing there's either the iPad of the Mac. Which ever device doesn't matter cuz everything is sync'd. I want the bigger screen cuz I might want to finish watching a video.

For movies none of the above. I rather my Plasma+SRS in my living room. I can't bare to hear or see low quality crap.

Someone else might just want a compromise and get a large screen phone because they might not see the need for a tablet or really be living a digital lifestyle — and I'm not talking about Google living. I mean breathing technology in every facet of their lives and demand perfection from what they use.

The Note has it's market but they are not doing as well as they hoped (relatively). Neither are Android tablets doing very great, as admitted by Samsung. And I think the reason Android tablets are not much sought after is due to the very large screen phones that are cannibalizing tablet sales (won't get into other factors).

It's really two different schools:
- One device... jack of all trades and master at none, portability, lower total cost.
- A few devices for each facet... great at each task, can't carry all, higher total cost.

When COMPUTER companies start making proper tablets with appropriate marketing, things might change. But for now, phone companies are letting their phone sales take away from their tablets. And it's a cycle they will continue because they are selling more large phones to the first school of one device.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”