help.. fan not coming on.

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ashtonishment
Street 2NR

Postby ashtonishment » May 14th, 2012, 7:50 pm

ok guys, here is my trouble..

i did a conversion on my ck2 from a 4g13carb to 4g15 dohc EFI. the fan is a single double speed fan. however it does not come on automatically. when i unjack the coolant temp sensor, it comes on. that is how i am running it right now. i have changed 3 coolant temp sensors and two sender units, remove the thermostat and still the fan refuses to come on automatically, any ideas guys??? since the electrician who wired the car is abroad, i was wondering if you guys have any ideas on what cud cause this.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Re: help.. fan not coming on.

Postby NR8 » May 14th, 2012, 8:53 pm

ever checked or changed the thermostat switch?

Russellgold
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Russellgold » May 14th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Call me I am a electron I can fix it but I am from south

ashtonishment
Street 2NR

Postby ashtonishment » May 15th, 2012, 4:03 pm

NR8 wrote:ever checked or changed the thermostat switch?

isn't the coolant temperature sensor the thermostat switch? thats what i always thought

GTi Guy
Sweet on this forum

Postby GTi Guy » May 23rd, 2012, 6:25 pm

check the relay

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 24th, 2012, 11:46 am

ashtonishment wrote:
NR8 wrote:ever checked or changed the thermostat switch?

isn't the coolant temperature sensor the thermostat switch? thats what i always thought

nope...if you unplugged something and the fan came on, then you unplugged the fan switch - it goes to open circuit when a particular threshold temperature is achieved
your coolant temperature sensor is something completely different - it communicates with the ECU, not the fan circuit

The fact that the fan came on when you unplugged it suggests to me that the circuit is fine and either the switch itself or the fan may be at fault...or you're not letting it warm up enough.

How did you determine that it's not working? When you start up and just let it idle, it takes a long while to come on. Mine takes in excess of half hour to get up to normal operating temperature if it's just sitting there idling.

ashtonishment
Street 2NR

Postby ashtonishment » May 24th, 2012, 7:46 pm

@Hook thanks for the reply.

i must admit the temp gauge did not go up, but the water was boiling, not just bubbling in the overflow. i had now gotten the car from the mechanic and there was no coolant in the radiator, only water. when the engine cooled, i added coolant. it didnt boil but the overflow spilled over. what do you make from this?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 24th, 2012, 9:17 pm

The boiling/bubbling over indicates a blockage somewhere. Either a clogged rad or a stuck thermostat. Vibes a radiator guy.

I'm getting the impression it's a swap/conversion you did. What exactly are we dealing with here?

ashtonishment
Street 2NR

Postby ashtonishment » May 24th, 2012, 9:21 pm

ck 2 lancer, switch from 4g13 carb to a 4g15 dohc EFI, had some seriously overheating with the carb engine. so in addition to the injected engine, i changed the radiator, (brand new double core) and fan ( a large single double-speed). the previous fan was a makeshift setup with a b13 fan dat was wired directly. i removed the thermostat immediately after the boiling incident but it was still spilling over. i use the car with the sensor unjacked so it is somewhat running direct.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”