Official BlackBerry Thread

Strauss

Re: RIM / BlackBerry Thread

Postby Strauss » July 4th, 2012, 7:51 am

Very good points from you all. Thing is bb10 is so promising. But that's all we have now... Promises.

Whereas ios and android is here NOW and keep getting better

achillies

Postby achillies » July 4th, 2012, 8:15 am

Strauss wrote:Whereas ios and android is here NOW and keep getting better

This

And yet RIM still not making necessary adjustments, no adaptability equals slow death. And I also think that they should stick to their biggest strength, hardware keyboards, of they give that up then their OS better be really damn good,

Postby acesinghit » July 4th, 2012, 8:49 am

Late to join the thread/discussion:

The wave of market capitalisation of competitor OS platforms such as Andriod and iOS make players like Apple, Samsung and HTC very dominant. It means, these companies have the resources to maintain R&D and Marketing demands as well as increase them.

RIM's first niche was enterprise/corporate and now that the company is at an all time low in its own game, I see no other choice but to sell their patents, keep BBM afloat as a secured messenger app and shut down handset manufacturing.

Also consider the top employees and management officials who brought RIM to its peak in 2011, most of which are no longer employed by RIM due to thousands of job cuts and resignations. Employee morale at the company is at an all time low and it is not surprising to learn of BB10's delay.

A new OS is not going to turn the table around when resources are non existent and the man power isn't strong enough to even consider developing BB11.

In a nutshell, this could very well be the end of BB as we know it, however we are still some time behind until the third world picks up on these shortcomings just the same we were late to assume them.

casper

Postby casper » July 4th, 2012, 9:36 am

what makes a smartphone "smart" is basically the apps....which blackberries lack...they need to have a robust app store with QUALITY apps in order to do well in these times...apps basically adds features to ur handset and when i had a BB i never was intrigued to downloading anything from the app store for many reasons...some of which were lack of popular apps and also the boring and dull app world interface with minimum reviews...

also the fact that the phone despite how "high end" it supposedly is, just cant do that much cuz as i said before, a simple thing like joining a BBM group alone often freezes ur phone with ur 2ghz proc and 512mb RAM etc...so whats the sense downloading a setta apps then?

BB obviously cant link up with apple's app store so they need to consider dropping BB OS and probably get a lil contract going with google for android to be installed in their handsets...BB linked with android wil be a success IMO cuz they'd benefit from extensive advertisement as well all over google as they will now be a android based company

RIM is capable of making really good devices but their OS is basically their biggest dowfall as well as the app store cuz without interest in their store will also mean interest from developers wont be there as well

Postby crazybalhead » July 4th, 2012, 9:42 am

achillies wrote:
pseudorandom wrote:Ever since my company forced me to start using Blackberry for work 4 years ago, I always hated Blackberry. I had my personal dumb phone with much better features and I had to be walking around with 2 phones - one to check company email and make free calls (paid by the company) and the other for everything else. Last year I got my personal Galaxy S2 that made my Blackberry look like a piece of sheit. I swapped the Blackberry SIM into it and was able to set up company email without BES. I can finally walk around with only one phone. Earlier this year, my company stopped issuing Blackberry devices to new phone requests and started giving medium end Android phones.

I am no way surprised RIM is failing. Their phones were always crap. A "smart" phone is not fully smart if all you can do with it is email and BBM. The camera on my 5 year old dumb phone still gives better looking pictures than the latest Blackberry. Good riddens to Blackberry!

Whoa bro, such harshness. Lol

But that's it there basically, the other mobile OSes can do it, plus more, people want chat, read and send emails, a camera, a camcorder, photo editor, twitter, Facebook, google+, Internet browser media player, video player, youtube viewer, a phone, etc, etc and they want it in one device, I'm not saying its right, but it's reality. Not all may want this, but many want most.

Um, the BB Bold (the old one I have) has all of the above except the photo editor.

Postby S_2NR » July 4th, 2012, 9:47 am

crazybalhead wrote:
achillies wrote:
pseudorandom wrote:Ever since my company forced me to start using Blackberry for work 4 years ago, I always hated Blackberry. I had my personal dumb phone with much better features and I had to be walking around with 2 phones - one to check company email and make free calls (paid by the company) and the other for everything else. Last year I got my personal Galaxy S2 that made my Blackberry look like a piece of sheit. I swapped the Blackberry SIM into it and was able to set up company email without BES. I can finally walk around with only one phone. Earlier this year, my company stopped issuing Blackberry devices to new phone requests and started giving medium end Android phones.

I am no way surprised RIM is failing. Their phones were always crap. A "smart" phone is not fully smart if all you can do with it is email and BBM. The camera on my 5 year old dumb phone still gives better looking pictures than the latest Blackberry. Good riddens to Blackberry!

Whoa bro, such harshness. Lol

But that's it there basically, the other mobile OSes can do it, plus more, people want chat, read and send emails, a camera, a camcorder, photo editor, twitter, Facebook, google+, Internet browser media player, video player, youtube viewer, a phone, etc, etc and they want it in one device, I'm not saying its right, but it's reality. Not all may want this, but many want most.

Um, the BB Bold (the old one I have) has all of the above except the photo editor.

actually, there are photo editors for BB in the app store.

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 9:50 am

what's the need for all the apps? get a tablet or laptop

what apps are the important ones really?

you want apps well go grab an iPhone or Android device
your device slows down when joining a group casper because your pin has to sync with the server and the group, not because of the phone it freezes
people seem to be upset over a phone camera? really?

Postby S_2NR » July 4th, 2012, 9:54 am

i use my BB for calling and messaging 99% of the time.
had an android and an iphone before and those apps aint all that, after the novelty wears off.
gaming is for my gaming console, xbox360. and music, ipod touch.

main thing i love about my Bold over the touchscreen android and iphone is the physical keyboard. there is simply no comparison on the market right now.
typing on a touch phone is a major pita.

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 9:58 am

i actually won on crackberry photoeditor pro this morning
it's the instagram wannabe, but it's seem pretty AWESOME....
ok ok i keed
but i guess i will try it out as i always see some random crap wherever i go

but i agree with you there, majority of the apps are novelty

and if you look at the apps for BB, majority are for productivity

Postby Stephon. » July 4th, 2012, 10:26 am

tr1ad wrote:i actually won on crackberry photoeditor pro this morning
it's the instagram wannabe, but it's seem pretty AWESOME....
ok ok i keed
but i guess i will try it out as i always see some random crap wherever i go

but i agree with you there, majority of the apps are novelty

and if you look at the apps for BB, majority are for productivity

WTF!, I enter all their competitions and never win anything. One day though :(

casper

Postby casper » July 4th, 2012, 10:27 am

yea but tr1ad what u failing to realise is the reason why RIM is falling so fast is cuz there alot of ppl out there that dont use a phone like u do...they want a pocket power house that catering to all their on the road needs and not satisfied with JUST a great messaging app and push email...

just because u dont care for apps on ur cell doesnt mean that the whole world dont care for apps on theirs as well...u said it yourself...

tr1ad wrote:you want apps well go grab an iPhone or Android device

^^^well that is EXACTLY what the whole world is doing bro and this is the reason why RIM shares constantly falling

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 10:31 am

yes i did, but you didnt answer my question

what apps you want? seeing that you looking at apps

ok ok i will ask you

casper what apps you have on your phone right now? doh lie eh

i not saying my idea of what my phone supposed to do is what everyone has to do
the marketshare of RIM is failing, look at the US figures, then look at the Europe figures

Stephon... link meh yuh pin na dawg...

achillies

Postby achillies » July 4th, 2012, 10:33 am

tr1ad wrote:what's the need for all the apps? get a tablet or laptop

your device slows down when joining a group casper because your pin has to sync with the server and the group, not because of the phone it freezes

Hmmm, I wonder if you realize that this is the reason that the company is failing, the people in charge at RIM no doubt had your same thoughts, and unless that changes, they would go the way if the dinosaur.

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 10:42 am

achillies wrote:
tr1ad wrote:what's the need for all the apps? get a tablet or laptop

Hmmm, I wonder if you realize that this is the reason that the company is failing, the people in charge at RIM no doubt had your same thoughts, and unless that changes, they would go the way if the dinosaur.

i wouldn't doubt it...
especially after their last marketing campaign

"we want tools, not toys"

their problem as said before, they still think that they could grab ahold of corporate entities with BES and security

granted the last Android device i had, no problem in w=setting up my work email on it, just that the push effect was too slow an the virtual keyboard was a PITA to type out long emails to clients

casper

Postby casper » July 4th, 2012, 10:53 am

tr1ad wrote:casper what apps you have on your phone right now? doh lie eh

bible
encyclopedia
nba tv
cnet
flipboard
infinity blade 2
max payne
word search
checkers
temple run
garage band
scotia banking
yellar direct
trini hub
evernote
reminders
wikipedia
english dictionary
iTunesU
voice memos
Rdesktop
fileapp
compass
weather
voice dictation
maps
whatsapp
flashlight
FB
skype <<<< which doesnt exist for even the BB torch series dunno bout bolds
iMovie
iPhoto

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 11:27 am

casper wrote:
bible BB
encyclopedia BB
nba tv
cnet
flipboard game
infinity blade 2 game
max payne game
word search BB maybe
checkers BB
temple run game
garage band game
scotia banking
yellar direct BB
trini hub
evernote BB
reminders BB
wikipedia BB
english dictionary BB
iTunesU
voice memos BB
Rdesktop
fileapp
compass BB Newer models OS6 +
weather BB
voice dictation BB
maps BB
whatsapp BB
flashlight BB
FB BB
iPhoto

from your list, this is what is also available on a RIM device

copper_shot

Postby copper_shot » July 4th, 2012, 12:37 pm

need some help here

blackberry 9900 bold from verizon

on digicel

i had BIS service on it, which was mail and BBM

i emailed digicel to include data browsing.

they activated the service, i did a battery pull and now no BBM, no emails and no browsing, strangely though whats app is working and i'm not on wifi

when i had just got this phone i had to do the below to get it working

copper_shot wrote:
ABA Trading LTD wrote:
copper_shot wrote:need some help here...

my digi sim says "network activation required", when i click on activate it dials "*228*" and disconnects

i called digicel helpdesk and they're saying that the phone is not fully unlocked, but the phone is working fine with a bmobile bb sim card

dial ##000000 from home screen

when the new screen comes up, on the first line change the phone number to 868XXXXXXX( being your local Digicel number)

then press menu and save, the phone will restart and that will remove the activation required screen and should solve your problems

THIS worked ! removed the wireless activation needed

also i had to change the Network type from "global" to GSM as the network was showing up as roaming

i'm wondering if i need to go into these settings again and change anything else?
i did change the APN to web.digiceltt.com , still nothing

helppp!

Postby tr1ad » July 4th, 2012, 12:45 pm

not sure about digicel's settings at all never played with them
but if whatsapp is working that means data is present

did you do a homescreen search for the bbm app?

stikid09

Postby stikid09 » July 4th, 2012, 12:47 pm

is apps allyuh wa discuss :$ :$ :$

my lil sum sum list ;)

-Aethereal Hybrid OS; contains OS6/7 elements allows faster and more stable handset.
-FlashBack; uses LED as flash light.
-Screen Grabber Full; takes screen shot. (Worth: USD0.99 in AppWorld)
-CameraMute; mutes camera snap sound. (Worth: USD0.99 in AppWorld)
-Photo Editor Ultimate; edits photos. (Worth: USD1.99 in AppWorld)
-unRAR; decompresses files from .rar format.
-Opera Mini; web browser.
-OTA Download; installs applications from the .JAD format.
-Call Blocker Professional; multi purpose call blocking software. (Worth: USD2.99 in AppWorld)
-World Clock; shows multiple clocks from a wide range of cities. (Worth: USD0.99 in AppWorld)
-Documents to Go Premium; create, edit and read MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. (Worth: USD14.99 in AppWorld)
-PDF to Go Premium; read PDF files, has bookmark feature.
-TuneIn Radio; internet radio that has local stations available.
-Appworld; BlackBerry Appworld Software.
-FaceBook; Facebook for BlackBerry(supports chat).
-Windows Live Messenger; live chat from MSN.
-Google Talk; live chat from Google/Gmail.
-N.O.V.A; elite military force game. (Worth: USD0.99 in AppWorld)
-The Sims 3; create characters and live their life. (Worth: USD3.99 in AppWorld)
-What'sApp; messaging platform.
-Fecile Theme; changes home screen from slide up tray. (Worth: USD2.99 in AppWorld)

This was good enough for me.

Postby ismithx » July 4th, 2012, 7:41 pm

i agree very much with you casper! this is why my next device must be an android.... when allyuh see the sweetness it can do... instant conversion... i witnessed one such conversion today....

Postby S_2NR » July 4th, 2012, 7:46 pm

ismithx wrote:i agree very much with you casper! this is why my next device must be an android.... when allyuh see the sweetness it can do... instant conversion... i witnessed one such conversion today....

let the novely wear off then come back :roll:

Strauss

Postby Strauss » July 4th, 2012, 7:48 pm

S_2NR wrote:
ismithx wrote:i agree very much with you casper! this is why my next device must be an android.... when allyuh see the sweetness it can do... instant conversion... i witnessed one such conversion today....

let the novely wear off then come back :roll:

With new apps for the iPhone every week I'm never bored. People are doing amazing things.

Postby S_2NR » July 4th, 2012, 7:50 pm

dude, read how excited that guy is :lol:
u'd understand why i said that.

he seems infatuated

Postby ismithx » July 4th, 2012, 7:57 pm

@S_2NR
already used an android tablet, it's very awesome. I love hacking and tweaking devices so android gonna be perfect for me. Given a choice, i would install a lot of apps, so yeah i say its android for me.....

Postby S_2NR » July 4th, 2012, 7:58 pm

i like that too but after a while it just gets old.

ull see ;)

Postby ismithx » July 4th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Ok so here's my logic:
BB - annoyingly long and ridiculous startup time, i could have an emergency and not be able to call, woefully inadequate battery capacity for a data-dependent phone
iOS -gone kinda boring, phones are too expensive, and hacking them seems to be a major PITA
Android - can tweak them into oblivion, can be hacked, ROM replaced, etc.
Windows Phone - :lol: too green. let it ripe. the phones are bit on the pricey side, not a fan of the interface, it's too metro and not flexible enough

To me android is one of the more stable platforms since it is linux based, and although you can have pretty much equal choice in apps over the various platforms, android has the best in terms of customization and tweaking

copper_shot

Postby copper_shot » July 9th, 2012, 4:13 pm

copper_shot wrote:need some help here

blackberry 9900 bold from verizon

on digicel

i had BIS service on it, which was mail and BBM

i emailed digicel to include data browsing.

they activated the service, i did a battery pull and now no BBM, no emails and no browsing, strangely though whats app is working and i'm not on wifi

when i had just got this phone i had to do the below to get it working

i'm wondering if i need to go into these settings again and change anything else?
i did change the APN to web.digiceltt.com , still nothing

helppp!

just an update...

digicel rep changed my plan to a regular data plan without BIS service
although i sent the request via email and stated it was a blackberry handset with BIS service

they apologised and everything is fine now, on the unlimited BIS data plan

on another note
i notice now i get the BBM icon over wifi, and can use bbm without mobile network connection off
in the past i was not able to use BBM over wifi using 2 different handsets, while roaming

would it work on wifi when i'm roaming? and why wasnt i able to use it before?

Trini Hookah

Postby Trini Hookah » July 9th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Avg Price of an 9850 LCD? Pref. with installation.

stikid09

Postby stikid09 » July 10th, 2012, 9:38 pm

still have mine up for sale people...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=447644

Postby S_2NR » July 10th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Trini Hookah wrote:Avg Price of an 9850 LCD? Pref. with installation.

Preshaaaaa