Forums

Social Welfare Questions

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

HSA
Riding on 17's

Social Welfare Questions

Postby HSA » August 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Ask any questions pertaining to social welfare and i will try and respond asap...no pm's please...

138bob
Street 2NR

Re: Social Welfare Questions

Postby 138bob » August 4th, 2014, 2:39 pm

I receive this help wanted to knw how I cud get a grant to buy school stuff

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » August 4th, 2014, 2:45 pm

if you are on public assistance or disability grant you need to go to your local welfare office and talk to an officer for an educational grant for your child. it does not cover stationeries though. It covers mainly school clothes, book bag, shoes etc. school books are considered to be given out by the government.

devsingh
3NE 2NR for life

Postby devsingh » August 5th, 2014, 6:55 am

great thread and thanks for you stepping up to help, i went through this application process last year for the in laws, wish this thread was up then.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » August 5th, 2014, 12:08 pm

thanks..but it looks like ppl hardly have questions to ask

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 5th, 2014, 12:21 pm

^ hi HSA I have a question

Could I obtain social welfare if it is I need some living expenses for fulltime University classes for a 3 year period and I am not able to obtain assistance from my separated parents?

thanks

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » August 5th, 2014, 12:25 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ hi HSA I have a question

Could I obtain social welfare if it is I need some living expenses for fulltime University classes and I am not able to obtain assistance from my separated parents?

thanks

Once you not attending any clinic or public hospital you have no chance as a main requirement is a medical report from a public institution. you would have better luck with min of edu.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 5th, 2014, 12:33 pm

^ thanks
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on January 9th, 2015, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nioboi
Ricer

Postby nioboi » August 5th, 2014, 2:32 pm

HSA PC REPAIRS wrote:if you are on public assistance or disability grant you need to go to your local welfare office and talk to an officer for an educational grant for your child. it does not cover stationeries though. It covers mainly school clothes, book bag, shoes etc. school books are considered to be given out by the government.

It also should be noted that an Education Grant is for students attending Secondary school only, and it comes in cheque form therefore it could be spent on anything.

snatman
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snatman » August 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm

What are some grants available to the general public that doesn't require the beneficiary to be disabled or otherwise handicapped in any way?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » August 5th, 2014, 7:17 pm

My mother has been to the clinic for physical therapy in Mt Hope. That is, until they nearly killed her (slight exaggeration) but she could not have possibly gone back after the immense pain they put her through as a result of their carelessness.

She has arthritis in the spine and associated nerve damage stemming from that. She is unable to work and is at home. She has her papers from while attending the clinic, MRI etc.

Is there a grant that she can apply for to help with medical expenses?

Thanks for making this thread too, good going on your part.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » August 6th, 2014, 8:37 am

Soul Collector wrote:My mother has been to the clinic for physical therapy in Mt Hope. That is, until they nearly killed her (slight exaggeration) but she could not have possibly gone back after the immense pain they put her through as a result of their carelessness.

She has arthritis in the spine and associated nerve damage stemming from that. She is unable to work and is at home. She has her papers from while attending the clinic, MRI etc.

Is there a grant that she can apply for to help with medical expenses?

Thanks for making this thread too, good going on your part.

Yes she can qualify for a grant..be minded that she must be below 65yrs as all grants stop when old age pension comes into effect...once she is legally married, her husband has to apply on her behalf..if he is deceased then she can apply. walk with orig and copy of all relevant documents, birth cert, id, passport if any, Death cert if husband has died, clinic card, medical expenses etc. when you go to the office they will give you a medical form to get filled out in the hospital. she can still get it filled out because they must have her record there. there are two medical reports.one for public assistance and one for disability grant. disability grant is suited for ppl who are cripple, blind, mental disability etc. as long as she has her senses i will advise you to go for public assistance as disability grant has alot of stringent requirements. so back to the forms you will have to get filed out....you wil get a medical report, NIS form to get filled in the NIS office, an ex-employer form if she has been employed, and the public assistance form. once she is deserving i BELIEVE welfare officers will do their part to ensure that she is assisted.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Last edited by HSA on August 6th, 2014, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » August 6th, 2014, 8:38 am

snatman wrote:What are some grants available to the general public that doesn't require the beneficiary to be disabled or otherwise handicapped in any way?

Too many to list...check Min of the people website.. you'll get the same details there

ras_elmo
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ras_elmo » August 6th, 2014, 8:44 am

^^ Min of the People's site is http://www2.mpsd.gov.tt

138bob
Street 2NR

Postby 138bob » September 7th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Can someone who gets social welfare for a school child get the same help if the child is over 18 n going to utt

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 7th, 2014, 1:51 pm

over 18 is considered an adult an as such the child is not a child but an adult. secondly UTT is seen as funded by gate and is a tertiary institute. Grants stop for children at the end of secondary school.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » September 7th, 2014, 2:31 pm

when will the social welfare office be open in san fernando, my mother (pensioner)need to give her 'proof of life' signature. can she do this in any other office?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 8th, 2014, 7:47 am

I know some people who are in dire need of assistance and have left numerous applications since 2012 and no response to date.A visit to the MP for Toco/Sangre Grande is a total waste...what do they do??? lehme guess,apply again ent?

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 8th, 2014, 8:04 am

civic minded wrote:when will the social welfare office be open in san fernando, my mother (pensioner)need to give her 'proof of life' signature. can she do this in any other office?

I don't know when the office will be open in san fernando. she should go where she went to apply for her old age pension. they would have her record there. Best thing to do is call to be sure,well thats if you get through to the phone lines :lol:

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 8th, 2014, 8:09 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I know some people who are in dire need of assistance and have left numerous applications since 2012 and no response to date.A visit to the MP for Toco/Sangre Grande is a total waste...what do they do??? lehme guess,apply again ent?

Dont start any ignorant pigheaded behaviour please. If they haven't gotten a response the best thing to do is go in their respective office and get an update on their application. Its the most common sense thing to do. When they applied, the welfare officer must give them a time frame for a visit as there is a time frame for visiting each person from the date on their application. Every office has a SWA2 and supervisor. Speak to them as they would be better able to get you an answer.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 8th, 2014, 8:38 am

boy^ smfh...is either you real like this gubbament or you just blind to the heart ache of the less fortunate in our society.
the applicant has made several visits time and time again until she was told to get a letter from the MP to speed up the process.A visit was made to the MP,letter was obtained after waiting until from 9am-5pm in his office(its on a Tuesday,I suggest you take a visit and see how sickening it is) and nothing has been done to date.
The first thing you would hear about social welfare,food cards,disability grants etc etc is YUH HADA KNOW AH MAN TO GET TRU...so doh come here and butter up everything and make people feel its that easy and before yuh say "did she qualify for public assistance" yes she did...

138bob
Street 2NR

Postby 138bob » September 10th, 2014, 4:27 pm

How much is the grant for one person?

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 15th, 2014, 8:45 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:boy^ smfh...is either you real like this gubbament or you just blind to the heart ache of the less fortunate in our society.
the applicant has made several visits time and time again until she was told to get a letter from the MP to speed up the process.A visit was made to the MP,letter was obtained after waiting until from 9am-5pm in his office(its on a Tuesday,I suggest you take a visit and see how sickening it is) and nothing has been done to date.
The first thing you would hear about social welfare,food cards,disability grants etc etc... is YUH HADA KNOW AH MAN TO GET TRU...so doh come here and butter up everything and make people feel its that easy and before yuh say "did she qualify for public assistance" yes she did...

Dont even try to say i'm blind......i went places,helped ppl, did what i had to do and more... u hadda be mad to say something like that ... a letter from the MP doesnt speed anything at all...and doh even try to vent on this forum..its not the right place..call me 298-3606 and we would discuss it.....i am patiently awaiting your call and an apology...

(EDIT)

To your answer...first thing...each social welfare office has a different "culture"....you hadda work there to know what i mean...however there are same laws that each must abide by... I AM TELLING YOU AGAIN,each case is judged on its own merit and i do not have all the details here to make or cast a judgement thats why i asked IF SHE QUALIFIED....the laws have alot of technicalities that can debar someone from the grant...

let me tell you of one of my cases i did...very heartbreaking....sickly woman..cancer and alzheimers to the point where she couldnt feed herself, clean herself etc. i was her welfare officer as she resided in my district...she applied for disability grant....she was 54years old....she and common law was renting...2000/mth...he was a pensioner...no NIS..so he got 3000/mth....i did my research, investigation etc...and by all means she qualified with flying colours...BUT...she was receiving two grants..one from her deceased husband and some other totaling $1530/mth....and you know what...she didnt qualify..why..because at the time the law states that if a person is receiving more than 1500/mth they wouldnt qualify....that was the hardest case i had to write...even took it to the director of social welfare because i was unhappy with it but in the end he said the same....the law is the law..she did not get disability because of that extra $30/mth.....however i ensued at least she got public assistance....at least it would have helped somewhat...
Last edited by HSA on September 15th, 2014, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 15th, 2014, 8:47 am

[quote="138bob"]How much is the grant for one person?[/quote

before budget was 850 for public assistance....not to sure if they increased after budget..

ECIGTT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ECIGTT » September 15th, 2014, 11:35 pm

My mom gets disability grant. She lives with my uncle and cousin as my uncle wife left him a few years now. She takes care of them. cooking, cleaning and all. The house however needs major repairs. Leaking roof. What assistance can she get from social development?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2014, 1:12 am

Very good chead OP

matthewmazda
Riding on 18's

Postby matthewmazda » September 16th, 2014, 1:50 am

have a aunt who is collecting the disability grant and her husband Nis and think pension also, but they are both bed strincken so there son and daughter in law is collecting the money on there behalf but not using the money to take care of them, they have them lock in up a room whole day, sometimes they might bring them out for some fresh air on wheel chairs can i report this so someone can make a visit from the department ?

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 16th, 2014, 5:47 am

ECIGTT wrote:My mom gets disability grant. She lives with my uncle and cousin as my uncle wife left him a few years now. She takes care of them. cooking, cleaning and all. The house however needs major repairs. Leaking roof. What assistance can she get from social development?

you can go into any welfare office and collect the form but welfare has handed over the house repairs to NSDP back in 2011 or 2012..not to sure....but its better they go directly to NSDP in south quey...POS. cuz...i'll see if i get a number for you

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » September 16th, 2014, 5:52 am

matthewmazda wrote:have a aunt who is collecting the disability grant and her husband Nis and think pension also, but they are both bed strincken so there son and daughter in law is collecting the money on there behalf but not using the money to take care of them, they have them lock in up a room whole day, sometimes they might bring them out for some fresh air on wheel chairs can i report this so someone can make a visit from the department ?

their son and daughter in law must have a Nominee card. that is the only way they could go and cash their cheques (disability)....... pension and NIS goes directly through the bank so you need to inform the bank to put a hold on their fast service card as anyone with the pin can go anywhere and withdraw...but all matters like this should be reported to the area's welfare office/ officer so proper investigation should be done before any conclusions

matthewmazda
Riding on 18's

Postby matthewmazda » September 16th, 2014, 10:30 pm

HSA wrote:
matthewmazda wrote:have a aunt who is collecting the disability grant and her husband Nis and think pension also, but they are both bed strincken so there son and daughter in law is collecting the money on there behalf but not using the money to take care of them, they have them lock in up a room whole day, sometimes they might bring them out for some fresh air on wheel chairs can i report this so someone can make a visit from the department ?

their son and daughter in law must have a Nominee card. that is the only way they could go and cash their cheques (disability)....... pension and NIS goes directly through the bank so you need to inform the bank to put a hold on their fast service card as anyone with the pin can go anywhere and withdraw...but all matters like this should be reported to the area's welfare office/ officer so proper investigation should be done before any conclusions

ok thanks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”