TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

High pitch noise coming from brakes

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

High pitch noise coming from brakes

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 4th, 2014, 9:05 pm

So I've been getting a high pitch noise I believe coming from the right side spindle of my 2002 NZE Corolla. I originally thought it was just the brakes pads and though they had a good bit of meat on them still I went ahead and changed it. I thought I fixed the issue when this morning I heard the noise again this time with a vibration on the steering. To explain the noise its high pitched and its produced when I'm driving at a certain speed. I'll also hear it when I'm driving slowly. Here's a recording of it, listen for it after the first notification sound. The file format is .amr so I zipped it and you'll need a player like vlc or amr player. But can anyone tell me how to fix this? Its annoying as nails on a blackboard.
Attachments
record20140904090043.zip
Recording of noise while driving
(308.79 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

anthonemorris
Street 2NR

Re: High pitch noise coming from brakes

Postby anthonemorris » September 17th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Have you at least checked the wheel bearing? When they are worn they make noise as well.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 17th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Okay update... So a buddy of mine told me it was the caliper shims causing the sound so today I took them off only to realize that I was still getting the high pitch noise now coupled by noise coming from the brake pads whenever I go over a bumpy road. I've deducted its emanating from the left and not the right because if I hold the steering just a little to the left I hear it louder and more continuous. If I were to hold the steering more right, the sound goes away. Oh it also goes away if I step on the brakes abit. Can anyone tell me what's the solution to this problem please? P.S. its not the wheel bearings they do not make that screeching sound but more of a whirring sound plus I just put in koyo wheel bearings last week.
Last edited by Hibrydsoul on September 20th, 2014, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullet_proof
Ricer

Postby Bullet_proof » September 17th, 2014, 10:36 pm

By chance your car very low to the ground?

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » September 18th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Remove brake pad and rub on a coarse sheet of sand paper and see if this helps.
Assuming you are using a 'substitute' set of pads,which use a lot of metal in compound..crystalisation of pad surface may have occurred.
When the above happens, these pads upon interface with worn rotor disc can return a kind of metallic screech.
Remember your pads are always in some contact with your rotors.
Rotor disc which have damage to their surfaces can also account for noises similar to that which you described.The funny thing is when you apply some brakes the noise may tend to go.

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » September 18th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Toyota giving trouble again.

dan86
Street 2NR

Postby dan86 » September 19th, 2014, 9:19 am

This is some good advice

toyolink wrote:Remove brake pad and rub on a coarse sheet of sand paper and see if this helps.
Assuming you are using a 'substitute' set of pads,which use a lot of metal in compound..crystalisation of pad surface may have occurred.
When the above happens, these pads upon interface with worn rotor disc can return a kind of metallic screech.
Remember your pads are always in some contact with your rotors.
Rotor disc which have damage to their surfaces can also account for noises similar to that which you described.The funny thing is when you apply some brakes the noise may tend to go.

Also did you check the support plates for the pads ?
The end tabs of the pads slide on these tracks which are mounted on the caliper.

The way the top one is clipped on, the underside clip may bend and touch the top of the rotor causing that noise.

A mechanic bent one of mine to keep it from shaking and then it caused that noise. But it was more continuous though

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 19th, 2014, 7:45 pm

The shims? I took them out completely and was still experiencing the noise, so its not them. In fact I started getting the noise of the pads shaking so I placed them back in.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 19th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Oh and with the pads I bought Wagner pads and placed them in and what getting the same problem.I was told that its a good brand..... What brand pads would you suggest?

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » September 19th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Bridge a coil across terminals to cut the high frequency

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » September 19th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Wagner is a trini bess brand. Try Beck arnley nex time.

dan86
Street 2NR

Postby dan86 » September 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Hibrydsoul wrote:The shims? I took them out completely and was still experiencing the noise, so its not them. In fact I started getting the noise of the pads shaking so I placed them back in.

Not the shims. Parts labelled 47716 and 47717: Toyota sells them as the fitting kit
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_200209 ... _4705.html

OEM pads are best. Front and back.
If you find the shims slack or the black coating peeling, change them one time with the pads. The shim kit comes with the black tacky grease also, so you get no shim rattle for the life of the pads

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » September 20th, 2014, 2:19 am

Get pyrometer to check temperature. Do they emit noise from a cold state? Or when hot? Calipers slide on pins attached with bolts. If they are sticking you are in a world of hurt. Are the calipers boots torn or damaged in any way? If they are, their it is. Piston could be seizing. Who is your mechanic? His qualifications?
I have seen a lot of a$$holes on these forums speak of things they hear about. Get a mechanic who actually might be cheaper than these fools with big garage and equipment who don't know sheit To diagnose.

LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO
Sweet on this forum

Postby LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO » September 20th, 2014, 3:05 am

had a similar problem recently ---notsolved yet neither

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 20th, 2014, 4:36 am

Which version of the Wagner brakes do you have. In the quikstop there are what I refer to as the old and new formula; old being dark Grey and new being similar to khaki color.
Old formula was more aggressive and used to make a bit of noise on a damp morning. When you get them warmed up they were very good though.
I had purchased titanium brakes(the brand was called titanium) in the past and they were so hard that they took almost two weeks before they stopped squeaking.
Remember that new brakes on a used rotor has to conform to it. As one surface is uneven it will squeak and vibrate until it is worn to match
I also find that the more metal the brake pad contains the more it tends to be noisy
See if you can source Bosch brake pads or mintex pads for your application

Personally don't care much if the brakes make noise once the vehicle stops

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » September 20th, 2014, 7:23 am

Bro go in d bamboo n c if u get fused brakes . If dat makes noise den buy a whole rotor and caliper set up..

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 20th, 2014, 2:54 pm

dan86 wrote:
Hibrydsoul wrote:The shims? I took them out completely and was still experiencing the noise, so its not them. In fact I started getting the noise of the pads shaking so I placed them back in.

Not the shims. Parts labelled 47716 and 47717: Toyota sells them as the fitting kit
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_200209 ... _4705.html

OEM pads are best. Front and back.
If you find the shims slack or the black coating peeling, change them one time with the pads. The shim kit comes with the black tacky grease also, so you get no shim rattle for the life of the pads

Sorry I was told that they were called caliper shims.... Those were the parts I took out and still got the noise. So I put them back in because was then also getting the pads rattling.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 20th, 2014, 3:00 pm

LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO wrote:had a similar problem recently ---notsolved yet neither

Did you ever replaced the rotor/caliper setup? Because I'm thinking its an option but one I don't want to venture in yet as its most expensive. So seeing that you are also experiencing something similar and its not yet resolved. If you bought over rotor and caliper and the problem is yet to be resolved will cause me to conclude that buying over rotor and caliper isn't the solution.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 20th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Going to machine the rotors and buy OEM brake pads and see if that fixes the problem

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » September 20th, 2014, 3:28 pm

grease the shims

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » September 20th, 2014, 3:45 pm

pjfred wrote:Get pyrometer to check temperature. Do they emit noise from a cold state? Or when hot? Calipers slide on pins attached with bolts. If they are sticking you are in a world of hurt. Are the calipers boots torn or damaged in any way? If they are, their it is. Piston could be seizing. Who is your mechanic? His qualifications?
I have seen a lot of a$$holes on these forums speak of things they hear about. Get a mechanic who actually might be cheaper than these fools with big garage and equipment who don't know sheit To diagnose.

will have to check this out thanks....

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » September 20th, 2014, 4:02 pm

There are some u shape paperclip diameter "springs" holding the pads apart just slightly above the rotor.It could be that these are stretched and depending on steering angle the pads may be touching on the rotor, accounting for the intermittent screeching. Check and see if is only when your are turning the steering. Also if rims are not tightened properly, Check to see if there is movement with the rim.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » September 20th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Do your rotors have any uneven wear/ridges if you pass your fingers across them? Any "lip" on the outer edge of the rotors?

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » October 5th, 2014, 1:27 pm

It have yeah

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 6th, 2014, 12:21 pm

That could very well be the cause.

jnelo
Street 2NR

Postby jnelo » October 15th, 2014, 10:17 pm

I had this same problem. The right side rotor had the same lip. I changed the rotor and installed new brake pads. Problem solved.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » October 21st, 2014, 9:11 pm

Nice I intend on doing just that, waiting on funds though :cry: funds low

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 21st, 2014, 9:48 pm

You could get it machined instead of buying a new one.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » October 28th, 2014, 12:15 pm

It turns out it was the shield behind the rotor touching at the bottom, the noise has stopped, but I'm still going to have the rotors machined for smoother handling.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”