TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

D15B SOHC Head Swap from Non-VTEC to VTEC on an EK3

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

g unit
Sweet on this forum

D15B SOHC Head Swap from Non-VTEC to VTEC on an EK3

Postby g unit » April 1st, 2008, 6:28 pm

besides the head, obviously, wat other prts do i need to purchase to undertake this kinda project???

also wat is the price of an:
used SOHC VTEC Head???
used SOHC VTEC Intake Manifold???

thanks

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » April 1st, 2008, 7:55 pm

head and block 1.5 vtec motor.. 2000 or less....
option...

EL JEFE
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EL JEFE » April 2nd, 2008, 10:07 am

Whey and to think I sell my head and block for a 2.0 cheaper than that.

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 2nd, 2008, 5:56 pm

noone else has any other input

Mr. Fixables
Trinituner Peong

Postby Mr. Fixables » April 2nd, 2008, 9:34 pm

You do not need the block.

If you do the VTEC head and expect VTEC, then wiring harness and ECU will be necessary.

If you wanna do it for a bit more compression 9.1:1 to 10:1, then all you need is the bare head, use back the stock valvetrain, cam, ecu etc. Oh yeah! Use the VTEC Intake Manifold for additional ponies as well.

Good gains for cheap.

Kirk

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 2nd, 2008, 9:56 pm

thanks again Mr. Fixables

by the way, how much does the bare VTEC head go for??? neone knows or has one for sale???

Hirotoshi
Sweet on this forum

vtec conversion

Postby Hirotoshi » April 3rd, 2008, 9:38 am

what your talking about is a mimi-me conversion, you need the 92-95 vtec head,96-00 vti intake manifold and fuel injectors 240cc,timing belt,correct ecu(auto / manual) i would recommend you get a set of pm3 flat top or p29 dome pistons to increase compression,stock 96-00 exhaust manifold.this set-up i gurantee will give you a lot of fun $ trills. :D

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 3rd, 2008, 6:16 pm

yeah is a mini-me conversion, i jus learnt that last night after doing some research on the net. actually i am jus using some advice given to me by Mr. Fixables.

dem pistons would be pricey?!?!?!

spliffington
Ricer

Postby spliffington » April 3rd, 2008, 7:07 pm

hey man i can get u the full conversion which includes engine (d15b vtec) with s20geabox:) harness, computer even the whole subframe cya remember how much d man was calin 4 it ill let u kno.. but if i was u i wud just do a manual conversion assuming ur auto get the intake manifold from a d15bvtec, get a air fuel controller get ur ecu chipped according to the size injectors u runnin and goo boost ull have alot of fun with ur motor once its tuned proper these engines can make very impressive numbers on the dyno and be reliable. and afta if u blow it up jus buy a b series :)..just my input eh u can get a good price on turbo kits on ebay (kno wat ur lookin 4 tho) and mi boy in foregin sockets and chips ecus (alot of hondas) for like 70us the only problem will be to get it across there..bless

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 3rd, 2008, 7:38 pm

well yeah i am goin manual, supposed to call the mechanic tomorrow and link up the scene. as for the rest of the project, i would do that in a timing cuz funds kinda run out. but will give u a call wen ah ready for them parts like intake manifold, etc.

check the price of the engine the guy sellin an pm me. tanx

b18b_turbo
Shifting into 6th

Postby b18b_turbo » April 3rd, 2008, 8:09 pm

Question: would it be cheaper to buy a complete engine?

nello-sello
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nello-sello » April 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

Hmmmm ...very interesting project.. I just might consider pursuing this myself

please keep us posted on your progress

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Re: vtec conversion

Postby r3iXmann » April 3rd, 2008, 8:58 pm

Hirotoshi wrote:what your talking about is a mimi-me conversion, you need the 92-95 vtec head,96-00 vti intake manifold and fuel injectors 240cc,timing belt,correct ecu(auto / manual) i would recommend you get a set of pm3 flat top or p29 dome pistons to increase compression,stock 96-00 exhaust manifold.this set-up i gurantee will give you a lot of fun $ trills. :D

noo..

a minime is a d16b/d15b combination

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_45390/tm.htm

Hirotoshi
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hirotoshi » April 4th, 2008, 9:36 am

for your education,a mimi-me is the conversion of a non-vtec d series engine to vtec,by putting a vtec cylinder head on a non-vtec block. it does not matter if it,s a d15b or a d16z,d16y. :lol: reixmann, i guess you won,t know what an ls vtec engine is either ? :P

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 4th, 2008, 5:08 pm

b18b_turbo wrote:Question: would it be cheaper to buy a complete engine?

i studied that already but somehow i kinda fraid to take that risk of dropping in a used engine, when i know mine is working good. you understand where i comin from.

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » April 4th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Hirotoshi wrote:for your education,a mimi-me is the conversion of a non-vtec d series engine to vtec,by putting a vtec cylinder head on a non-vtec block. it does not matter if it,s a d15b or a d16z,d16y. :lol: reixmann, i guess you won,t know what an ls vtec engine is either ? :P

not quite correct but i acknowledge my error

Mini-Me

One of the most popular and effective methods of achieving greater power from a D-series motor is replacing the cylinder head with one from a more powerful D-series motor. This is usually done between D16A6 and D16Z6 or D16Y7 and D16Y8 engines, however, can be performed in other combinations as well; such as a D16Z6 head on a D16Y7 or D15B2/B7 block. The Z6 and Y8 heads are VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) equipped, and increase horsepower significantly over stock levels. This operation is known as a "Mini Me" or partial swap. Mini Me's are popular because they offer a substantial performance upgrade by adding VTEC to the motor at a relatively low cost. Simply adding a VTEC head to a non-VTEC block will not increase horsepower alone. This is because the VTEC circuit must be activated and accompanied by a new 'high cam' fuel map from the car's ECU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#Mini-Me

spliffington
Ricer

Postby spliffington » April 4th, 2008, 7:18 pm

g unit wrote:
b18b_turbo wrote:Question: would it be cheaper to buy a complete engine?

i studied that already but somehow i kinda fraid to take that risk of dropping in a used engine, when i know mine is working good. you understand where i comin from.

u mite b suprised sum places have engines with very low mileage on dem an plus u supposed to get a lil warranty not to much time tho jus enough to do ur compression and other inspections on it..but go ahead with the mini me. it wud be good gains for cheap.

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » April 4th, 2008, 7:22 pm

ok scene. well neways my plan is to do sumting unique, hopefully it doesnt cost me my engine. but ah guess we learn from our mistakes.

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » April 5th, 2008, 1:43 am

man get a head and block 1000TT
new bearings 700TT
rods and piston and rings 4000TT cr 10.1 NA cr 8.4 boost
good for NOS or boost

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

selfmade.customs
Ricer

Re: D15B SOHC Head Swap from Non-VTEC to VTEC on an EK3

Postby selfmade.customs » October 5th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Would a single vtec head work on a non vtec block? D15b head an a d15b block changing the harness an brain as well. Would I have to do any mods to the block?

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”