TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Very strange Radiator Problem with EG8 Civic (SOLVED)

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Very strange Radiator Problem with EG8 Civic (SOLVED)

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 9th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Update: Sent it by a radiator man, he take it out and cut it open and clean it out it was real clogged up. Issue with the leak was the hose which only leaks badly when there is plenty pressure. So its fixed now. No more overheating. Next time it overheats I will get a new one or build a new one with the 2 cores.

Today I sent the car to fix after so many months of putting it off.

Mechanic did a full tune up so the Lazy Engine stuttering problem is gone car works like new. Changed bushings and ball joint, Oil, clean Injectors (Somehow the injectors alone cost $400 total to clean I don't know if I get rob here) Oil leak, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, etc

Sadly after all that and I went home problems start. This real sour my evening since I just spent a huge amount of money on this thing.

First the car seemed to have a incredibly big water leak you could hear it evaporating as it hit the muffler under the Engine. Heat gauge hit full H hot. Needle was almost on the red line even though the radiator was filled and still is.

This is what is so strange, I turn off the Engine let it cool off. Water leak stop. Before that you could not see any leak above the Engine it was somewhere hidden at the bottom. But you could see steam. Was night time so didn't see much. Radiator have a good bit of water still.

Turn back on the Engine 20 minutes later and everything working normal. No leak no nothing. Temp normal. WTF?

I admit I was revving the Engine hard. Testing out the VTEC, Drive a 3 miles. Engine answering like new, front wheels even getting ah lil drag from a dead stop. Sounding Healthy. But it was only 3 miles. I flaw the gas a few times for a few seconds in 3 miles. I refuse to believe this could have caused that leak.

Could the mechanic have accidentally loosened a water hose or something? Or could it just be coincidence? Right now it works like normal.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on March 12th, 2011, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Very strange Radiator Problem with EG8 Civic

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 9th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Damn the car still has problems starting. Mechanic says something probably wrong with the fuel pump. He say he clean and change everything else in the Engine so the only thing left has to be the fuel pump.

This starting problem happens once a week. Engine comes on for a split second and cuts off everytime you start it. 12 times in a row. However if you turn it off and wait 3 minutes and start it back, it starts good. Also if the car on a steep incline with the front raised up, it won't start. Mechanic says it has to be a fuel pump adjustment.

What you guys predict might be the problem?

Anyone here ever had this problem?

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » March 10th, 2011, 1:19 pm

just carry the car by kazim or jason. then shitty men you going by.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 10th, 2011, 2:16 pm

^ where these guys located? the mechanic I went by is supposed to be a professional. He has all his tools and he seems to know what he doing. But I could be wrong.

Ok well update, I carry it back by him today I was hoping he would fix this problem free and maybe it was a hose leaking since I pay he $800 labor yesterday and then I had to buy all the parts myself.

He however charge me ah $60 cause he had to take out the piece of metal that covers the radiator thermostat and clean it. He throw away that thermostat cause he say it bad. Its actually a spring thingy that restricts water flow so the engine can warn up quick from a cold start cause I can still see the heat reading on the dash. Well since that looked like the problem he throw away that.

Engine however still overheating. He say there is only one solution, I need to carry it by a radiator man to clean it he says the radiator is clogged up badly.

PS. the reason the hose was leaking badly sometimes was cause of a little hole that seemed to get big when it has plenty pressure. So this is why it happened sometimes and then others you couldn't see anything.

speedfreak44
Riding on 16's

Postby speedfreak44 » March 10th, 2011, 5:09 pm

i say your mechanic is ah #$%@... and he sucking yuh eye

so he say is the thermostat? then tell u is the rad?

but u and all u paying him and u still have the same prob??? come nah man...

my questions

is the water level in the rad dropping?
when the car is at the merged of over heating did you examine the engine bay throughly?

with a d15... main water leaks are:
1.the lower rad hose because it rubs on the tranny if not secured properly.
2.there is a metal line which has a metal line attached over the tappet pan cover... the air intake is connected to it
3.attached to the air intake hose... the water line sometimes clogged badly
4.the water by pass tube sometimes leaks closer to the water pump side
5.there are abt 2 more by pass water lines...

my take change all the lines...

before you go changing the rad get it pressure tested... and think about the cost of cleaning it...
you can get yourself a sir rad for around 400 and up...

speedfreak44
Riding on 16's

Postby speedfreak44 » March 10th, 2011, 5:14 pm

from reading over what you said,,,

now if the mechanic removed the thermostat... at which point is the car over heating???

let me guess!!!! when you driving constantly in vtec mode for a few minutes or frequent kick downs???

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 10th, 2011, 6:09 pm

^ Hi thanks for the info my bro fixed his rad one time in his EK. So he has experience I will show him your post so we can work on it.

And yes if you kick down plenty and in vtec mode the Engine over heats quickly.

The needle in the dash reads quite hot. The mechanic took out the part with the valve thing. He say that sensor not good and its only used for heating the engine quick from a cold start since it restricts water flow. He pelt out that and it did nothing to the problem. He charged me $60 for that, I won't be going back by him again.

But if you don't kick down and constantly in vtec mode, it will over heat but will take longer. In vtec mode the needle reaching red hot.

I carrying this by a radiator man to find out the situation with this. If it work for a year well I could live with myself since i get some form of service and buy a SIR radiator like you said. But as it is this car can't go more than 3 miles without overheating.

Carrying it by the radiator man to do as you said and will post a feedback on what took place. :)

speedfreak44
Riding on 16's

Postby speedfreak44 » March 10th, 2011, 6:20 pm

well if the thermostat is removed which you did... the car temperature will still increase when your constantly at high rpms because the water is curculating to fast and is not getting time to cool.

so even if you clean the rad... note that will happen

but check the rad and let us know

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 10th, 2011, 9:42 pm

^ hmm well he said the thermostat was no good. Which could explain past experiences with overheating. Its not the first time it overheated. My dad had rebuilt the radiator with metal a while back because the plastic was no good. However now and then the car seemed to overheat with the AC on or reving high.

I guess I may have to get a new thermostat. But would love to get some service for this year out of the car or even a 6 months. So thats why I gonna check the radiator guy and find out from him whats going on with this radiator.

Later on when I put aside some cash I have no problem getting a new Radiator maybe a better one and changing all the hose and stuff.

My aim is to restore the civic to original condition as opposed to buying a newer one. I figured if I bought even a 1998 or 2003 model I would still have to do these same things sooner or later regardless. So I figured why not just fix back this EG to Original so I will have a good car for many years to come and save myself a chunk of money you know.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Very strange Radiator Problem with EG8 Civic (SOLVED)

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 12th, 2011, 1:45 pm

ok problem solved sent it to service the thing was real clogged up. Works great now. I am sure I will have to buy a new one soon though.

g unit
Sweet on this forum

Postby g unit » March 12th, 2011, 9:11 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS.............i have to say, all your posts are rather entertaining.

glad to see you got through.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » March 13th, 2011, 1:56 am

make sure and put bad in a new thermostat! that is vital to the longevity of the engine.. even in out hot climate..

do a search in the tech section for the importance of your thermostat!

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”