TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

JDM Guy's Car Blog (02/10/2017. Engine upgraded)

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Re: JDM Guy's Car Blog Thread

Postby CD4Accord » February 7th, 2013, 8:55 pm

From the "ricers" at stop-tech
"Stoptech® Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines provide a quicker, firmer, more consistent pedal response by maintaining consistent brake pressure. Additionally, stainless steel lines provide precision brake modulation, especially during threshold braking. The improvement in pedal feel is more dramatic on older vehicles where the factory rubber line may have softened and swelled due to age."

sti7, why are you accusing me of encouraging him to waste money... Here are some quotes from my earlier post
"Concerning the rotors, Brembo blanks are just OEM replacements, measure the thickness of yours and determine if they need replacing.. If not, keep them for now and when you ready maybe invest in some Brembo Sport rotors.. They actually priced very similarly"

I'd personally recommend Stop-Tech Street Performance over the Hawk HPS... I have owned and used both on the accord and the stop-tech lasted longer, felt better at low temps and most of all were cheaper... The dust was also a less annoying colour..

Do your research on said topic though.. Also, upgrade to a nice DOT4 racing brake fluid if you can.. ATE Superblue/TYP200 is the best value in this field..
If you have the $$, you can also switch to stainless steel braided brake lines but this is less vital.."

All of my recommendations so far have involved the most cost effective option and not merely spending money for moneys sake..

From my experience,

I took a stock accord braking system which needed new front rotors anyway, bought a pair of brembo sport slotted front rotors for $110 usd, front pads for $45 usd, brake fluid for $18 usd, did a rear drum to disc conversion which cost about $1400tt including parts and labour, another $40 usd on rear disc pads, $40 usd on a 40/40 proportioning valve from a dc2 integra and finally $100 usd on techna-fit stainless lines..
Total cost ~ $4000 ttd, some of which eg pads and rotors would have needed replacing anyway..
I have 0 REGRETS about my upgrade.. My accord is no supercar, but I can't think of a single moment of my life where I wished I had LESS competent brakes.. Having better brakes is only somewhat related to the power of your engine.. Think about it, an AD wagon can do over 160kmph easily but does it have the brakes to slow it down competently? Of course not....
Just because he does not have a "400+ hp" motor does not mean that his car will not travel at some serious speed.. More importantly though, having those upgraded brakes may one day be a lifesaver...

We are not disputing if Honda shipped the car or the ek2 or the SiR with adequate brakes to begin with, what I am saying is that if he can afford it the upgrade will not be regretted, especially since he will be guaranteed to experience and feel a tangible improvement.

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 7th, 2013, 9:44 pm

ok broo .....^^^^^^ i do apologize for my comment let d guy enjoy his mods and RICE out his car ....

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » February 8th, 2013, 8:36 pm

CD4Accord I will be going with the Hawk HPS F/R and the ATE super blue racing fuild. I am resurfacing my rotors also so I wouldn't buy the OEM brembo blanks.
How ever instead of getting the slotted rotors I will jst put the cash to my willwods for next season.

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » February 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm

^ nice

get the car up and running as is .. go to dex push the car and see where u need to improve....

Stop wasting money

If u hell bent on Dex build

type R head , stock block and a fancy GB , some suspension parts

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » February 9th, 2013, 8:25 am

Wasnt CD4Accord the guy that wasted a ton of money on a custom made cam from bisimoto? :|

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 9th, 2013, 3:47 pm

r3iXmann, $293.78 USD after shipping is the total I paid for said cam.. I did not pay a cent extra for the fact that I specified what cam profile I was looking for...

JDM_GUY, good call on the rotors.. Just only resurface them if they need to be done.. Usually if there is no warpage etc you better off just keeping the rotors as is without losing mass to shaving...
If/when you do get those Wilwoods it will be a massive upgrade.. I am not sure that it will make TOO much a difference for dex as opposed to a full racetrack but it certainly wont hurt

paz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby paz » February 9th, 2013, 8:37 pm

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-pr ... s-gsr.html

thought i would share the brake upgrade that ill be doing .

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 9th, 2013, 9:42 pm

paz wrote:http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/209631-diy-no-bs-bolt-big-brakes-rs-gs-ls-gsr.html

thought i would share the brake upgrade that ill be doing .

how d install coming along ?
i sell my hatch looking for a b to create a monster :mrgreen:

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 9th, 2013, 9:45 pm

CD4Accord wrote:If/when you do get those Wilwoods it will be a massive upgrade.. I am not sure that it will make TOO much a difference for dex as opposed to a full racetrack but it certainly wont hurt

with a stock b series that will be a waste .......... idk why men spend money orn these kinda upgrades when they not crossing 175 hp .... :roll:

Same thing i was saying bout the brakes b4 u think u goin to feel any real difference ? NOPE :| an i doubt u'll pull a better time in dex ....

but Mr CD4Accord seems to be a expert ..... i'll jus read orn an gain some knowledge from d experts :drinking:

red_dragon wrote:^ nice

get the car up and running as is .. go to dex push the car and see where u need to improve....

Stop wasting money

If u hell bent on Dex build

type R head , stock block and a fancy GB , some suspension parts

x2 now ya talking :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 9th, 2013, 10:05 pm

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 9th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Easy there.. I didn't recommend the Wilwood setup, I am just telling the man the effectiveness of it before he buys it..
If he has the money and wants to spend it, I can't tell him what to do with it.. The most I can do is offer some review of potential purchases and setups beforehand..

Then again, its ultimately up to the OP which advice he values or doesn't.. None of us can make up his mind for him

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 10th, 2013, 11:27 am

507872.jpg

hold dat dey from last year ....we aint studying kar yet is only oman and :drinking: nex week we will get back to dis ........... :drinking: :drinking:

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 10th, 2013, 12:06 pm

If you see the a** on the girl on the left there.. You go ded! It make a big break kit look small lol

silence
Riding on 13's

Postby silence » February 11th, 2013, 12:05 pm

nice !!!

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » February 12th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Guys i cannot import the ATE supper blue. I will go with the AMSOIL DOT 4 brake fluid instead, I am getting it local. Ordering the new HPS pad tomorrow so it should reach here before the first event. I just have to carry the front and rear rotors to resurface.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 13th, 2013, 2:26 am

Why can't you import the ATE? I've done it before both by skybox and by barrel..

Concerning the Amsoil DOT4, if its just regular dot4 and not racing, shop your DOT4's based on price, not name.. If Castrol GT-LMA, valvoline, delphi etc are cheaper than the regular Amsoil DOT4, that should guide your choice..

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 13th, 2013, 11:44 am

i have a 5 liter bucket of dot 4 brake fuel for d trucks u want a chubby bottle full i think is lockheed will hav to check ?

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » February 13th, 2013, 11:51 am

If this car is not going to be road racing, what's the big rush to use DOT4 fluid ?

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » February 13th, 2013, 2:54 pm

CD4Accord can you get the ATE blue for me?
x2 The car will be at Autocross for the entire year

COROLLA KID
Riding on 16's

Postby COROLLA KID » February 13th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Noob question: Brake fluid does make a difference???

I does use the brake fluid in the yellow bottle from the quick shoppe, works fine for me

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 13th, 2013, 5:43 pm

^ some boil easier than others, eg after a few hard stops the brakes will be less efficient
this is why most people use better fluid so it wont heatup
(im a noob also)

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Its a lot more complicated than that... Yes there is the issue of boiling temperatures with DOT 5.1 > DOT4> DOT3 generally..

However, racing brake fluids are engineered for less compressibility so they usually offer a firmer pedal than your normal parts shop type brake fluid.. Are they worth the cost? Well that is entirely up to the user and the intended use...

JDM, I can't help you there, I'm in Jamaica for the next year or so..

What I would recommend however is you just buy a decent DOT4 (Castrol GT-LMA is my favourite) or take up sti7's offer and use that at first... Eventually, when the opportunity presents itself upgrade to racing fluid..

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » February 13th, 2013, 7:52 pm

CD4Accord I will get the Amsoil from a local dealer. I will post some pics when I am doing everything.

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » February 13th, 2013, 9:12 pm

hmmmmm..........bro u over modifying ya car for a stock engine

my 2 cents ......

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » February 13th, 2013, 9:40 pm

^ Leave him alone.... this is jus a repeat of the eg8 and eg9 threads.....

again I repeat leave the man alone....

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » February 13th, 2013, 11:30 pm

red_dragon wrote:^ Leave him alone.... this is jus a repeat of the eg8 and eg9 threads.....

again I repeat leave the man alone....

agreed.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 14th, 2013, 1:22 am

^^^^

What eg8 and eg9 threads?????????????????????????????????????????????????!?

mugen power
Street 2NR

Postby mugen power » February 14th, 2013, 8:23 am

JDM_GUY wrote:CD4Accord I will get the Amsoil from a local dealer. I will post some pics when I am doing everything.

JDM GUY, please do. This thread is quite entertaining, I might learn a thing or 2.

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » February 14th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I will update as I go along

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » February 14th, 2013, 1:09 pm

CD4Accord wrote:Its a lot more complicated than that... Yes there is the issue of boiling temperatures with DOT 5.1 > DOT4> DOT3 generally..

However, racing brake fluids are engineered for less compressibility so they usually offer a firmer pedal than your normal parts shop type brake fluid.. Are they worth the cost? Well that is entirely up to the user and the intended use...

JDM, I can't help you there, I'm in Jamaica for the next year or so..

What I would recommend however is you just buy a decent DOT4 (Castrol GT-LMA is my favourite) or take up sti7's offer and use that at first... Eventually, when the opportunity presents itself upgrade to racing fluid..

If it were a road race application... I can dig the desire to change if you are looking for even the smallest edge, but can't say I agree at the level of modification we are talking about. Even at autocross speeds... I don't see any major benefit (not that it's a significant price difference either). FOr 60 second runs at braking speeds below 70mph, the benefits of DOT4 vs DOT3 seem inconsequential. I'd be more concerned about lines and proper brake booster and cylinder size. DOT5.1 is a bigger jump. The wet boiling point of DOT4 probably won't show up as a benefit for the application we are talking about... but again... small money difference so no big deal.

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”