TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Alternator Charge Rate

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kripplerz
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 128
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 12:49 pm
Location: Pt Lisas

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby kripplerz » July 9th, 2019, 8:42 pm

There is alot more to take into account when it comes checking an alternator by just referencing the voltage by the battery terminals. All alternators now are controlled by the ecu. If the battery is fully charged there is no need for the alternator to output 14v.
Other aspects must be taken into account before you say an alternator is bad.
Internal wiring ?
Is the diodes functioning properly ?
Is the alternator outputting too much AC ?
Is the alternator receiving a proper signal from the ecu to control its output ?

Advertisement
User avatar
eitech
punchin NOS
Posts: 2768
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby eitech » December 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Went by a technician in arima yesterday and he says that the newer vehicles control charging through the ecu. The signal from the ecu stops the alternator from charging. Its a problem with the tiidas as they carry 3 wire harness unlike olde model two wire systems. He eliminates that third wire and now my charging is constant

learningcars1
Riding on 13's
Posts: 3
Joined: November 6th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby learningcars1 » November 6th, 2020, 11:35 pm

hi, i have a problem with my hatchback tiida and i am not sure if its similiar to what you had.
with a new battery, i have a no problems. but once the battery reaches 5-6 months old, i start getting 'weaker/lazier' starts, and must run the car everyday.
i have had persons check the alternator, they say its good, car charging good no parasitic drain nothing. they say bad battery and thats it. but its a recurring problem.
why are batteries getting "weaker" after 4-5 months?
eliminating the 3rd wire in the ECU helped you?

User avatar
eitech
punchin NOS
Posts: 2768
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Alternator Charge Rate

Postby eitech » November 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm

learningcars1 wrote:hi, i have a problem with my hatchback tiida and i am not sure if its similiar to what you had.
with a new battery, i have a no problems. but once the battery reaches 5-6 months old, i start getting 'weaker/lazier' starts, and must run the car everyday.
i have had persons check the alternator, they say its good, car charging good no parasitic drain nothing. they say bad battery and thats it. but its a recurring problem.
why are batteries getting "weaker" after 4-5 months?
eliminating the 3rd wire in the ECU helped you?


Yea so when i bought the car the ppl gave me a lil notebook of repair history. I observed they replaced alternator and battery a couple of times in a short space. It didnt occur to me until after two days of not starting the batter used to run down real quick. I started monitoring the charging voltage and observed it wasnt constant like in my b15. Sometimes it would be 13.5-14v, other times 12.5 volts and that while engine running. It seems as though something was turning the charge on and off. So I went to a tech and he explained what was happening. He eliminated the third wire (yellow i think, need to chk) , and i get a 13.5- 14.1 constant charging. I can leave the vehicle down for like maybe 3-4 days and it starts. The wire he cut was by the alternator connector. It,s the signal wire from the ecu. I thought i had a battery issue too but it wasnt

learningcars1
Riding on 13's
Posts: 3
Joined: November 6th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby learningcars1 » November 8th, 2020, 11:34 am

Sounds like my problem. Where was the tech located? Whenever i go by an electrician, they just check the poles, alternator, say it's the battery. And brush it aside. I dont know any techs that may know about this

User avatar
eitech
punchin NOS
Posts: 2768
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby eitech » November 8th, 2020, 12:37 pm

learningcars1 wrote:Sounds like my problem. Where was the tech located? Whenever i go by an electrician, they just check the poles, alternator, say it's the battery. And brush it aside. I dont know any techs that may know about this


It’s a tech on omeara road arima just after you pass the fancy overhanging welcome sign on your left

kripplerz
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 128
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 12:49 pm
Location: Pt Lisas

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby kripplerz » November 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Cutting a wire to fix a problem, what effect did that cause on the system, would it cause any further problems.

User avatar
eitech
punchin NOS
Posts: 2768
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby eitech » November 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm

kripplerz wrote:Cutting a wire to fix a problem, what effect did that cause on the system, would it cause any further problems.


He did say i could try replacing the brain but it wouldn’t guarantee to solve the problem. He claimed to have seen it in many of the tiidas. I haven’t had any issues since then and its almost 1 year.

learningcars1
Riding on 13's
Posts: 3
Joined: November 6th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Re: Alternator Charge Rate

Postby learningcars1 » November 21st, 2020, 10:22 am

kripplerz wrote:Cutting a wire to fix a problem, what effect did that cause on the system, would it cause any further problems.

Do you experience a similar problem with your vehichle?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests