TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Grand Vitara low idle

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 19th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Good day all. I have been trying to find a solution some time now to a low idle issue i have been getting on my 2007 Grand Vitara. The vehicle idles low when the AC is off and more especially when it has more load for example when i turn the steering all one way. I tried several fuel injection servicing, changrd spark plugs and air filter and the basic tune ups such as cleaning the throttle body. It eventually reached a point a couple months ago when it actually would cut off but starts back easily.

What I did:

The cam sensor eventually read an error on diagnostics which i changed. This did not help and i ended up changing the crank sensor as well and a bad knock sensor found in the process.

The vehicle performance improved drastically after such work but the low idle issue was clearly still there. It was just a matter of time when it cut off on me again while reversing recently but didnt happen since then 2 weeks ago. I noticed a recent random stuttering as well when pulling off which wasnt very noticeable. I also noticed recently that while reversing, the fan came on and off every time the vehicle idled down on me. The only thing that regularly appears in any diagnostic i do but doesn't leave a check light which most mechanics tell me to ignore are 3 common errors saying ECM lost comm with BCM, TCM and ABS.

I have spent alot of money and continue to regularly service but Im afraid it will get to the point where it will stop again. Any ideas and contributions to solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 20th, 2017, 10:43 am

have you ever checked or replaced your fuel filter ?

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 20th, 2017, 11:21 am

FullStop wrote:have you ever checked or replaced your fuel filter ?

no never did... was never advised to do so. where is that located?

User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 20th, 2017, 6:38 pm

if there isnt one in the engine bay or under the vehicle, I dont recall seeing one under the grand vitaras, then the fuel pump housingwill most likely house the filter.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 20th, 2017, 7:35 pm

ok will have that checked on my next service. strange that no one ever mentioned that as part of servicing the vehicle even after it reached the mileage it at now.

User avatar
megadoc1
punchin NOS
Posts: 3159
Joined: January 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Location: advancing the kingdom of heaven

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby megadoc1 » March 20th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Fuel pump? Maybe it's on the way out

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 21st, 2017, 12:51 am

megadoc1 wrote:Fuel pump? Maybe it's on the way out

How does one verify this? Im thinking some sort of fuel pressure test?

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 21st, 2017, 12:59 am

megadoc1 wrote:Fuel pump? Maybe it's on the way out

Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a dying fuel pump affect the vehicle at high speeds etc. Presently I do not have any performance issues whilst the vehicle is in motion or accelerating.

User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 21st, 2017, 8:23 am

How was the throttle body serviced? ?Your issue sounds like a bad/dirty IAC valve(if equipped with cable throttle).

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 21st, 2017, 1:28 pm

FullStop wrote:How was the throttle body serviced? ?Your issue sounds like a bad/dirty IAC valve(if equipped with cable throttle).

It was taken out and sprayed with throttle body cleaner from both sides by one person while another person in the past used a screwdriver and pressed the valve a bit and cleaned as well. This throttle body is an electronic throttle.

User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 21st, 2017, 6:40 pm

I wonder if there's a idle air relearn that can be done. I don't remember one being on the grand vitaras, but then, my memory isn't stellar these days.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 22nd, 2017, 2:26 am

Will try that relearn tomorrow. I know for a fact my fuel economy etc resets itself while driving after the battery pole is removed for a bit. Not sure if thats the same but that itself never helped.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 24th, 2017, 12:19 am

FullStop wrote:I wonder if there's a idle air relearn that can be done. I don't remember one being on the grand vitaras, but then, my memory isn't stellar these days.

So i tried the relearn that u sent but dont think it made any difference. Today the vehicle shut off within a couple seconds of starting as soon as i turned the steering all way. The AC was on and the vehicle was not on a hill or anything. I got the opportunity to also try 4 coil packs from a vehicle that I personally drove and doesnt have any idling issues and clearly there was a low idle present still. Anyone with any more contributions would love to hear.

User avatar
megadoc1
punchin NOS
Posts: 3159
Joined: January 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Location: advancing the kingdom of heaven

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby megadoc1 » March 24th, 2017, 12:43 pm

megadoc1 wrote:Fuel pump? Maybe it's on the way out

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 2889
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby Strugglerzinc » March 24th, 2017, 7:05 pm

onlystunna wrote:
FullStop wrote:I wonder if there's a idle air relearn that can be done. I don't remember one being on the grand vitaras, but then, my memory isn't stellar these days.

So i tried the relearn that u sent but dont think it made any difference. Today the vehicle shut off within a couple seconds of starting as soon as i turned the steering all way. The AC was on and the vehicle was not on a hill or anything. I got the opportunity to also try 4 coil packs from a vehicle that I personally drove and doesnt have any idling issues and clearly there was a low idle present still. Anyone with any more contributions would love to hear.


Almost certainly indicates an e throttle issue as it controls idle and the "step up" when steering is turned, ac on etc.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 24th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
onlystunna wrote:
FullStop wrote:I wonder if there's a idle air relearn that can be done. I don't remember one being on the grand vitaras, but then, my memory isn't stellar these days.

So i tried the relearn that u sent but dont think it made any difference. Today the vehicle shut off within a couple seconds of starting as soon as i turned the steering all way. The AC was on and the vehicle was not on a hill or anything. I got the opportunity to also try 4 coil packs from a vehicle that I personally drove and doesnt have any idling issues and clearly there was a low idle present still. Anyone with any more contributions would love to hear.


Almost certainly indicates an e throttle issue as it controls idle and the "step up" when steering is turned, ac on etc.

Thanks very much. Appreciate the confident feedback. My mechanic told me he thinks thats the issue as well. Is it possible to repair those ethrottles?

User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 25th, 2017, 7:55 am

Negative, I've encountered this issue on a SX4 before. Research indicated that some early suzuki e-throttles were buggy. A customer purchased a f.used e-throttle and the problem persisted. Finally was able to get one that sorted out the issue.

That's pretty much a last resort though.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 25th, 2017, 1:25 pm

FullStop wrote:Negative, I've encountered this issue on a SX4 before. Research indicated that some early suzuki e-throttles were buggy. A customer purchased a f.used e-throttle and the problem persisted. Finally was able to get one that sorted out the issue.

That's pretty much a last resort though.

Any known sources foreign or local where a used one could be purchased?

User avatar
FullStop
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 3180
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby FullStop » March 26th, 2017, 8:20 am

New Age Auto in the bamboo, opposite side of the highway from grand bazaar, they stock lots of evo/lancer and suzuki stuff.

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » March 26th, 2017, 3:13 pm

FullStop wrote:New Age Auto in the bamboo, opposite side of the highway from grand bazaar, they stock lots of evo/lancer and suzuki stuff.

Nice will give them a check, thanks!

User avatar
onlystunna
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 168
Joined: December 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Re: Grand Vitara low idle

Postby onlystunna » July 6th, 2017, 1:18 am

Just a little update on this thread. I did not change the throttle yet as the vehicle performance improved using regular fuel treatments. However, the regular shutting down still occurred, noticeably on inclines. It has recently started back shutting down pretty often but i also noticed a couple times that i would hear the cooling fans come on and off when the vehicle was about to shut off. Still convinced its the throttle body but i wondering now if the coolant temperature sensor is having any effect. My radiator also randomly burst recently and the replacement is working pretty fine with no cooling issues and fans turning on when they should. I feel like im missing something somewhere.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests