Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

liquimolytt
Street 2NR

Re: Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Postby liquimolytt » November 5th, 2015, 1:30 pm

TSSL wrote:
Team Loco wrote:
MG Man wrote:
Team Loco wrote:sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

doesn't the engine 'burn' the stuff in the DPF when you doing highway runs?
Even if we had ULSD at our pumps, many vehicles, esp euro-speced engines still have issues from carbon buildup in oilways and turbo oil lines....even in europe, the carbon gunk kills the turbo, and clogs oilways.....only real defence is regular oil changes

Agreed. Regulaer oil changes is the best defence. Forget all those oils that claim long life. Heard men changing oil at 20,000kms. And dont talk about those who use caterpillar oil. I meet them and they boast about how good it is. But i meet them to repair thier turbo

Maybe this can help:
These are the service centres that have a Liqui Moly DPF Cleaning equipment and the LM Cleaner and Flush for servicing the filter.
Sharaz Modern Concept Auto in Barakpore - 389-5504
Super Auto in Point Lisas - 636-5051
Lower Hillside in San Fernando - 652-5238
Lifestyle Motors.
They also should be able to assist in best practice for maintaining DPF.
There is also a DPF Additive by Liqui Moly that prevents clogging of the filter by inducing the regeneration system of the engine to kick in sooner. Check:
Federal Tyre, Double R or LV Marketing in San Fernando
Midwest Auto in POS
Read more http://www.liquimolytt.com/#!cleaners/cbs9

liquimolytt
Street 2NR

Postby liquimolytt » November 6th, 2015, 7:44 am

DVSTT wrote:Do the volkswagen and audi diesel engines use the same DPF system? Have you considered using the same oil as these manufacturers recommend? Liquimoly perhaps?

If your Diesel engine is equipped with a DPF, you would want to use a low-ash oil to reduce amount of particulate coming through the exhaust to the DPF. Review the Liqui Moly TOP TEC 4200 5W-30 http://www.liquimolytt.com/#!motor-oils/c22hv

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 6th, 2015, 8:22 am

don't pretty much all modern DPF-equipped vehicles have self-cleaning systems to burn off soot?
All my car needs is a five minute run at 80kph on occasion to clean the DPF....if it's bad, you can hear the engine note change as it starts burning off soot....only non-stop traffic driving will kill it prematurely....having said that, how does the LM DPF cleaning systems work?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 6th, 2015, 8:28 am

how much them revo going for btw?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 6th, 2015, 9:33 am

Mint Cars is advertising it starting at 330k with the GD engine, whatever that is...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 6th, 2015, 9:47 am

Daz d good engine. GD

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » November 8th, 2015, 10:42 am

liquimolytt wrote:
TSSL wrote:
Team Loco wrote:
MG Man wrote:
Team Loco wrote:sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

Even if we had ULSD at our pumps, many vehicles, esp euro-speced engines still have issues from carbon buildup in oilways and turbo oil lines....even in europe, the carbon gunk kills the turbo, and clogs oilways.....only real defence is regular oil changes

Agreed. Regulaer oil changes is the best defence. Forget all those oils that claim long life. Heard men changing oil at 20,000kms. And dont talk about those who use caterpillar oil. I meet them and they boast about how good it is. But i meet them to repair thier turbo

Maybe this can help:
These are the service centres that have a Liqui Moly DPF Cleaning equipment and the LM Cleaner and Flush for servicing the filter.
Lifestyle Motors.
There is also a DPF Additive by Liqui Moly that prevents clogging of the filter by inducing the regeneration system of the engine to kick in sooner. Check:
Midwest Auto in POS

thank you
met an owner of an Revo with the 1GD engine....having issues with local diesel in his 2 month old pick up.
sent back to M. Rampersad to fix .
seems Toyota using a re-tuned 1KD engine - 3.0L best suited to our poor grade diesel oil in Trinidad

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » November 8th, 2015, 10:59 am

mitch1980 wrote:
liquimolytt wrote:
TSSL wrote:
Team Loco wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Maybe this can help:
Lifestyle Motors.
Midwest Auto in POS

thank you
met an owner of an Revo with the 1GD engine....having issues with local diesel in his 2 month old pick up.
seems Toyota using a re-tuned 1KD engine - 3.0L best suited to our poor grade diesel oil in Trinidad

What symptoms did the person experience. ?
I have not noticed anything thus far but hav been Using the redline fuel treatment. Will order a few cases of it even though its for ulsd.
On the good note i had the van inspected and there is no Dpf installed (smh at those mc company techs )!!!
However there is the egr so i will need to stick to the low ash oil and frequent changes.

liquimolytt
Street 2NR

Postby liquimolytt » November 8th, 2015, 11:32 am

mitch1980 wrote:
liquimolytt wrote:
TSSL wrote:
Team Loco wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Maybe this can help:
Lifestyle Motors.
Midwest Auto in POS

thank you

Unfortunately, Diesel in TT is not the best. High sulfur content, water, etc. therefore, all Diesel engines owners in TT should use a good diesel fuel treatment. The Super Diesel Additive or the Common Rail Additive from LM can be used as often as possible (every other or two fills). Besides keeping the fuel system clean, they increase the Cetane in the fuel which improves its quality reducing knocking among other benefits.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 9th, 2015, 7:29 am

where can we buy those additives?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 9th, 2015, 8:47 am

Trini diesel is epic balls and in the past couple weeks there have been numerous complaints about excessive smoking, tar like substance out the exhaust etc...this is happening on old model hilux, rangers, bmws, mercedes etc.....i ended up dumping two fuel treatments at a time to stop it in my hilux and it seem to have stabilized up to when i sold the van...

the black bar like substance was staining the floors at home and leaving a kinda brown residue when you try to wash it off

liquimolytt
Street 2NR

Postby liquimolytt » November 10th, 2015, 10:56 am

MG Man wrote:don't pretty much all modern DPF-equipped vehicles have self-cleaning systems to burn off soot?
All my car needs is a five minute run at 80kph on occasion to clean the DPF....if it's bad, you can hear the engine note change as it starts burning off soot....only non-stop traffic driving will kill it prematurely....having said that, how does the LM DPF cleaning systems work?

What you said above is correct. The regeneration system kicks in automatically when required but only at higher revolutions (e.g. 80kph) and at high temperature in the filter. Unfortunately, driving conditions in TT are mostly stop and go and short runs and the Diesel fuel isn't the best either. Also, many people don't realize that their diesel engine is fit with a DPF.
In cases that the engine fails to start due to excess clogging of the DPF, options are reduced to replacing it (very costly) or cleaning it on board with the Liqui Moly DPF Cleaning System and products or any other system if available.
The Liqui Moly DPF Cleaning System cleans out the DPF through spraying at high pressure a cleaning solution followed by a flushing solution in to the DPF. The DPF is accessed with specialized probes through the filter's sensor openings, once removed. This is to be done by professional Mechanics.

Also, the Liqui Moly Diesel Particulate Filter Protector helps avoid clogging of the DPF by helping to increase the temperature in the DPF to the required temp for the regeneration system to start.
For further info see http://www.liquimolytt.com/#!equipment/c7l5

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 10th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Problem here is finding a competent mechanic. My engine is unique locally and I am not ready to let an 'expert' guess on it. I'm very interested in fuel additives, once you can assure me they are safe for the PSA 1.6 turbodiesel, specifically the W16 version

liquimolytt
Street 2NR

Postby liquimolytt » November 10th, 2015, 2:57 pm

MG Man wrote:Problem here is finding a competent mechanic. My engine is unique locally and I am not ready to let an 'expert' guess on it. I'm very interested in fuel additives, once you can assure me they are safe for the PSA 1.6 turbodiesel, specifically the W16 version

As long as you continue doing what you do to get the regeneration system kick in on a regular basis, you should not need to worry about clogging of the DPF. "If not broken, don't fix it"
And of course, use a good Diesel fuel treatment regularly to mitigate the effects of our pour diesel quality and keep injectors clean.

You can check out the DPF Protector additive from LM here including Technical Data sheet and Security Data Sheet.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/prod ... db=web.nsf

deluxequill
Riding on 13's

Postby deluxequill » November 10th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Anotrin wrote:I got myself a hilux Revo sold by M rampersad-not toyota's model. Van is sweet and has bunch of cool features etc etc.
Van however does not smoke as my other van (L200). Supposedly it has a DPF filter and I have read that I will need to use a specific type of engine oil as to not clog the filter prematurely.
I have come across "euro car oil" by amsoil however it is rated for diesel and gasoline is this okay to use on my diesel engine? I will also be needing to use a fuel treatment since our local diesel is too high in sulphur ( or something like that-better safe than sorry).

What can you tuners recommended-engine oil and fuel treatment?

Any info much appreciated. If only i knew of this before!
Thanks

Soooo did you settle on an oil yet? I have to admit tho........this thread has been most interesting and informative. I'm thinking of buying the new Hilux Revo myself but i'm torn between the MRampersad model with the new GD engine and the TTTL model with the 1KD engine. hmmm.

Funny thing......I saw the manual in the glove box at Mrampersad but I didnt open it up......It's in Thai you say??!! :shock: Jeez!! All them fancy switches in the MRampersad model.....how you know how to operate them safely now bro?? :?

After reading all the responses in here.....it would seem the better option now is the TTTL model eh??

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » November 10th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Drove 1 recently. It cuts off when stopped by the features remain on. It starts back as soon as u hit d throttle. Not my taste but its cool.

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » November 10th, 2015, 10:24 pm

1UZFE wrote:Drove 1 recently. It cuts off when stopped by the features remain on. It starts back as soon as u hit d throttle. Not my taste but its cool.

On the bottom panel there is a switch with an A. Turn that off and the auto off feature will be disabled. No biggie but a feature i find completely useless lol. It can be permanently disabled via the fuse box but if not it needs to be turned off every restart.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » November 10th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Thats d panel where the AC controls are??

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » November 10th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Lower than those controls. Where the traction control and hill assist controls are. Cant miss it an A with an arrow around and off written on it.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » November 10th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Ok. Will do it 2mrw. Thanks man...

deluxequill
Riding on 13's

Postby deluxequill » November 10th, 2015, 10:50 pm

liquimolytt wrote:
MG Man wrote:Problem here is finding a competent mechanic. My engine is unique locally and I am not ready to let an 'expert' guess on it. I'm very interested in fuel additives, once you can assure me they are safe for the PSA 1.6 turbodiesel, specifically the W16 version

As long as you continue doing what you do to get the regeneration system kick in on a regular basis, you should not need to worry about clogging of the DPF. "If not broken, don't fix it"
And of course, use a good Diesel fuel treatment regularly to mitigate the effects of our pour diesel quality and keep injectors clean.

You can check out the DPF Protector additive from LM here including Technical Data sheet and Security Data Sheet.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/prod ... db=web.nsf

How often do you recommend using these DPF and fuel treatments??

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » November 13th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Anotrin wrote:Lower than those controls. Where the traction control and hill assist controls are. Cant miss it an A with an arrow around and off written on it.

Thanks anotrin. I got tru...

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 30th, 2015, 12:13 am

Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40 a la PSmart
$120 per Gallon
LE for low emission

Our normal sulphur Diesel fuel produces a higher volume of acidic byproducts from combustion hence the need to change oil more frequently; as the reserve TBN has to deal with a higher quantity of acids. While high sulphur diesel isn't great, the process of removing the sulphur tends to reduce its lubricity, which leads to accelerated fuel pump wear unless some other lubricity improver is added.

Most manuals recommend a viscosity range for the oil along with an associated ambient temperature.

I have no idea about the cetane rating of our kerodiesel but I am currently using amsoil cetane booster in addition to penray diesel fuel conditioner. Hell if it works...I have no data on it

Let us know how the GD engine is holding up.

stef
Ricer

Postby stef » May 19th, 2016, 11:12 am

This is really good info guys. Sorry to resurrect old thread but wanted to ask the guys who bought the GD Revo how it holding up? Any issues? Would you recommend over 1KD? Every dealer I have spoken to has given me conflicting info and I prefer to hear from the guys with experience. Thanks

rharripersad
Ricer

Postby rharripersad » March 28th, 2017, 4:51 am

I would also like some feedback on the gd engine.... the revo from maska is really nice but that's a lot of money to be worried about

VA777
Street 2NR

Postby VA777 » June 21st, 2017, 7:54 pm

I have my hilux 10 years now which I bought from Toyota, till date i use Mobil Del Vac and no issues.

rharripersad
Ricer

Postby rharripersad » June 21st, 2017, 7:56 pm

VA777 wrote:I have my hilux 10 years now which I bought from Toyota, till date i use Mobil Del Vac and no issues.

What milage do you change it at?

VA777
Street 2NR

Postby VA777 » June 21st, 2017, 8:02 pm

rharripersad
Ricer

Postby rharripersad » June 21st, 2017, 8:07 pm

VA777 wrote:10000

Nice... I use mobil in my car and I plan to use it after the warranty when I buy the van

VA777
Street 2NR

Postby VA777 » June 21st, 2017, 9:52 pm

Ok good you wont be disappointed

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”