Chief Cook & Instigator

Nitrogen filled tyres

Postby SR » August 13th, 2007, 1:27 pm

anyone here using it

any reviews

kalongi
Sweet on this forum

Postby kalongi » August 13th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Yes I do and get a softer ride ( my suspension is quite stiff originally) and I am not so sure of the mileage claim but then again is an evo engine so I cannot expect miracles

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » August 13th, 2007, 2:22 pm

I used it in my Primera which also has somewhat of a stiffer ride, and found that it rides softer now.

Some ppl claim it's a placebo effect, but I believe it makes a difference.

There is a thread on that somewhere, here it is:
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... t=nitrogen

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » August 13th, 2007, 3:05 pm

less trips to the pump that's about it :!:

As for ride quality.....put in new tyres no difference

put in old tyres ...no difference... costs around $20 bucks or so...

What's the deciding factor.....tyre type, compound and thread ware...not to mention depth of tyre groove......new vs. old tyre scenario., tyre series and rim size....also plays an important role

Tyres running this N2 system toyo proxes threadware 180.....

^^^Gas savings : ABSOLUTELY NOTHING....

but from electrical eng. background in electronics, we often fill the inside of RF transmission lines with a pressurized gas. In some cases transmission lines are pressurized with dry air, however air supports combustion. Dry Nitrogen is the gas of choice. Transmission lines are pressurized to prevent water from the atmosphere from migrating into the line and also, in some cases to increase the power handling capability of the line.

So long and short is ABSOLUTELY no benefit readily seen unless it's and aircraft flying @ 40,000 feet in the air where water vapor will freeze in tyres....blah blah blah....

Don't even argue about dry rotting tyres from the inside.....if you gonna be driving on the same tyres for 50+ years SOMETHING IS WRONG :!:

p.s I just lazy to refil @ pump and I also like the little green caps :lol:

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » August 13th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Oh I forgot to say that air is approx. 78% N2

^^^ How the arse they evacuating the air from the tyres initially....then filling with N2.....hmmmm

Ponder this question I must....in little green mans voice
:lol:

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » August 13th, 2007, 3:17 pm

The question about nitrogen in tires has come up in other lists on the web as well. Let me clarrify a few points.

1. Air is 78% nitrogen, N2, and 21% oxygen, O2. So even if you put air in the tire, it's already 78% nitrogen. Many of the so called nitrogen generators don't produce much more than 90% nitrogen.

2. At relatively low pressures (ie tire pressures) N2, O2 and water vapor will all behave as ideal gases, and follow PV=nRT. Pressure will increase or decrease to the same extent as the temperature increases or decreases regardless of which gas is in the tire. (Even at 300 psi, which is about 20 atm, there is little deviation from ideality.) Therefore the comments about N2 not changing in pressure as the temperature changes are without merit.

3. The rate of effusion (or diffusion) of a gas through a porous membrane depends on the molar mass and to some degree on the molecular diameter. N2 and O2 are almost the same size and N2 is lighter than O2 (28 g/mol vs 32 g/mol) so if either gas were to effuse out of the tire, nitrogen would do it more quickly. Luckily, tires are designed not to be porous membranes.

4. N2 and O2 both have essentially the same specific heat capacity, about 1.0 J/gK, and thermal conductivity, about 0.00026 W/cmK. Water vapor has a specific heat capacity of about 2 J/gK. But remember, water vapor will constitute less than 1% of the air in the tire. So the idea that N2 has different heat handling properties is also without merit.

5. The ozone, O3, in the atmosphere, which is a ground level pollutant, will do a great deal more damage to your tires than the O2 inside the tire. For instance, don't leave a condom out in the air in Los Angeles for a few days. It will develop lots of tiny holes and weaken.

spdracer22 says that dry air is preferably to air with a lot of water vapor. As a tire heats up, the very small amount of H2O present will be in the vapor state which may contribute to the overall pressure very slightly.

Several have suggested that N2 in a high pressure tank is more portable and requires no electricity. That would make sense, particularly for aircraft tires.

I find no reason to believe that N2 is going to produce a "better ride" or "better handling".

The bottom line is that for general passenger car tires or truck tires there is nothing to be gained (other than portability) by using nitrogen rather than air. The biggest gain will be $$$ by the companies that sell nitrogen handling equipment and the tire merchants that appeal to ignorant customers. And who is the biggest loser? Yep, the consumer.

Above taken from a Chem. Engineer

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 13th, 2007, 3:25 pm

so can this be considered a gimmick like the emperor's new clothes ?

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » August 14th, 2007, 9:09 am

tyre pressure less prone to change with increasing temperature, tyre will remain inflated for longer etc etc

Here are the claimed benefits:

http://www.branick.com/nitrogen_benefits.php

kalongi
Sweet on this forum

Postby kalongi » August 14th, 2007, 10:46 am

Polydor while you have solid scientific facts , which is good , I beg to differ in the ride quality , my ride has genuinely become softer due to nitrogen , for the mileage and better handling, I do not think I get what they say .

Reason is my suspension was generally stiff and gave an uncomfortable ride I started using nitrogen and it became much softer( tetsted both of course) , I also genuinely found leaks to be slower that ent no lie . I have had two so far and I know for a fact it took longer ( I owned 22 cars before so I know) .

I drive an SUV with an evo Platform fully strapped below and AWD so better handling is suppose to be natural so I cannot tell for that and as for gas is an EVO VII engine figure out dat for yourself.

I always say the proof is in the pudding , as set a facts on paper is not always the true picture .

Good points but it has it's benefits , as well as it's negatives . I call it as I see it .

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » August 14th, 2007, 11:00 am

kalongi wrote:Polydor while you have solid scientific facts , which is good , I beg to differ in the ride quality , my ride has genuinely become softer due to nitrogen , for the mileage and better handling, I do not think I get what they say .

Reason is my suspension was generally stiff and gave an uncomfortable ride I started using nitrogen and it became much softer( tetsted both of course) , I also genuinely found leaks to be slower that ent no lie . I have had two so far and I know for a fact it took longer ( I owned 22 cars before so I know) .

I drive an SUV with an evo Platform fully strapped below and AWD so better handling is suppose to be natural so I cannot tell for that and as for gas is an EVO VII engine figure out dat for yourself.

I always say the proof is in the pudding , as set a facts on paper is not always the true picture .

Good points but it has it's benefits , as well as it's negatives . I call it as I see it .

^^^Ok

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » August 14th, 2007, 11:48 am

where in south can you get your tires filled with nitrogen?

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » August 14th, 2007, 11:52 am

Mileage Mack

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » August 14th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Well........the way I see it, i would not bother cause we live in the TROPICS---that is what they use it in Canada & temperate countries cause of DRASTIC fluctuations in temperature.

Come on guys, let put on our thinking caps..........if our temp. remaims approx 32 degrees (Day)everyday more or less & 24 (night) really do we need to check air pressure as often. The most over a period of 3 mths on a tyre in good condition should not loose more than 2/3 psi.

Nitrogen is really recommended for cold climates............its just marketing in t'dad by the tyre co. who is selling the service that's making the money.

Approx $50.00 to fill tyres when damn air is free. What about when you gat a flat tyre?

In conclusion its just like choosing permium or super in a normally aspirated engine. Any benefits?

You be the judge :!:

Chemical. :wink:

kalongi
Sweet on this forum

Postby kalongi » August 14th, 2007, 12:49 pm

to be honest everyone has there points which are all valid , and it ain't all dat in the cost factor ratio so all in all it does nothing really fantastic , so relative to the cost it ain't sheit , I will still use it as I have less jerking about at this time , it adds some value to me

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » August 14th, 2007, 2:07 pm

so relative to the cost it ain't sheit , I will still use it as I have less jerking about at this time , it adds some value to me

Lets do some arithmetic :

AUTOMOTIVE

Registered Motor Vehicles - 700,000 (June 2006)
450,000 (December 2004)

Source: Licensing Department, Ministry of Works and Transport (June 2006)

New vehicle sales/2006: 12,700 (estimated)
New vehicle sales/2005: 12,136
Increase: 4.5 - 4.6%.
Source: Automotive Dealers Association

Number of cars using the roads south of San Fernando have increased from 48,000 in 1998 to about 60,000 in 2006 - Colm Imbert, Minister of Works & Transport.

If 25% of 700000 cars fill their cars with nitrogen @ $50.00/ car =8,750,000.00 :shock:

Guess who's bank account that goes into :idea:

xxSTAY TUNEDxx
Trinituner Peong

Postby xxSTAY TUNEDxx » August 14th, 2007, 3:05 pm

some good info here.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » August 15th, 2007, 1:50 am

Any where else in south .
I passed a few times by milage mack (cross crossing bottom of the hill from licencing office) and the place closed. are they still there or have they moved.

trinish
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trinish » August 15th, 2007, 1:56 am

doesn't make your tire much lighter, its idea was to save gas, that don't work cause you see meh boy state the facts that normal air already has 29% nitrogen. About increasing your tire life, i not sure nah. I lifted two exact tires one with N2 and the other with normal air, didn't make no difference.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » August 15th, 2007, 2:21 am

hong kong phooey wrote:Any where else in south .
I passed a few times by milage mack (cross crossing bottom of the hill from licencing office) and the place closed. are they still there or have they moved.

dem move........ they now in the back by vmcott, over the road from where southland mall was, by the lights........ent?

krazykid24
Ricer

Postby krazykid24 » August 15th, 2007, 7:01 am

yeah. mileage mack is near vmcott across the road where platinum used to be.

krazykid24
Ricer

Postby krazykid24 » August 15th, 2007, 7:02 am

yeah. mileage mack is near vmcott across the road where platinum used to be.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » August 15th, 2007, 7:45 am

thanks guys
going to try it meh self will comment in a few months

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 15th, 2007, 8:10 am

thanks for the responses

i will give my review in a weeks time

cost to fill 4 16" tyres $60 plus vat
noticeable difference in ride quality

ride is softer

doubt i will see any mileage difference and may see less wear on the tyres

with reading the pro's and cons from everyone i guess its up to the owner to decide

i ahve read good things about nitrogen filled tyres for racing

and plan to try it on the car for the nex dex event

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » August 15th, 2007, 2:11 pm

u getting ah softer ride sr...

that isone ah de claim...

as for the mileage me eh believe dat one..

as the tech post said b4 dem cya extract all de O2..plus a deflated tyre still has air in it.

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 2nd, 2007, 12:27 am

^^^ Had my tyres filled N2 one week ago. The suspension in my car is pretty stiff.N2 made very little difference. As for the way they(Milage Mack) evacuate the air... they merely remove the insect from the tire and let the air out. Thats about it. No saving in gas seen.
The only way your ride might seem softer is if they probably put in less pressure than what you had previously. I'm running 28psi all around BTW.
I'm yet to see the benefit of N2. Anyway I'm still doing an assessment of it . If anything changes :lol: I'll post it up.

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » September 2nd, 2007, 1:14 am

TurboDrive wrote:As for the way they(Milage Mack) evacuate the air... they merely remove the insect from the tire and let the air out.

I found Milage Mack's method of evacuating the air somewhat primitive; instead of putting the car on a lift they just let the air out of each tyre (one at a time) so at any one moment your vehicle is resting on its rim. Is that normal?

At least ACL puts you on a lift first.

Just my observation.

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 3rd, 2007, 6:15 am

Well thats the way they do it :| .

seanf3000
18 pounds of Boost

Postby seanf3000 » September 3rd, 2007, 1:15 pm

Saw this on a special on Discovery Turbo on cable. A Le Mans teams (Creative) was doing some suspension testing at Paul Ricard in France. They were getting some real beans dialing the suspension settings without getting porpoising of the race. (Thats when the front of the car bounces up and down consistently.)

Later in the day one of the Michelin mechanics notices moisture on the inside of one of the rims that they removed from the racing tyre. They then proceeded to remove the air by vacuum pump and replace it with dehumidified dry pure N2. While this didnt completely remove the vibrations they were getting, it got rid of the porposing and some of the vibration. They later got rid of the oversteer with a different rear anti-roll bar.

Goes to show it has advantages in the racing scene...........in daily driving life......still remains to be seen. But goes to show that they use equipment to evacuate the gas inside the tyres completely.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » September 4th, 2007, 1:47 pm

enkei makes rims with two valves.....one for venting air while nitrogen is being put in. would try nitrogen later on......not ready to do that yet.

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » November 28th, 2007, 7:46 pm

well i tried de nitrogen filling and i went in there thinking that this is a load of bulllll!!!! left milage mack (in de civic) still thinking that ahh get rob already and i defintely not going to get no smoother ride. I went up duncan village and was rather impressed with the ride. it was realy ahh bit different. i'm running 195/50/15. suposed to be heading point in de morning, so i'll see what happens. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”