TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Trinituner People: My CNG Experience

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Re: Trinituner People: My CNG Experience

Postby wagonrunner » September 11th, 2013, 11:26 am

TESTED performance wrote:My experience was consistent with what was explain so far except for no one mentioning one problem I had where as long as the pressure indicator was below half for the CNG the car had idle problems sometimes even cutting off.

never had that problem.
I'd run the CNG tank till red, and have it cutoff on me while driving (expected and waiting to switch back to super), with no idle problem whatsoever.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » September 12th, 2013, 12:30 pm

I hope it was just a maintenance issue with the car then because I really would like to try installing soon. Was your installation done and tuned by ACL too wagonrunner?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » September 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I think they were ACL systems.
in what is now coca cola on south trunk road, and up the hill by mepha is it? before prive.

done between 1994 and 2002.
1 kit has been in 3 cars. stopped at my wagon because of trunk space issue.
another wagon still has it's kit in it. and a sedan still runs its own.

Mischief007
Riding on 13's

Postby Mischief007 » September 14th, 2013, 7:37 am

Informative thread.....

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » April 6th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Bumping an old thread here fellas. I just bought a 280c equipped with CNG. I have never used this type of fuel before. Ive read the entire thread but i saw nothing about the actual procedure of filling the tanks at the station. Any pointers for me as a new user to this type system and what i should look out for? My car currently has two tanks in the trunk, a big and small one, i dont know the sizes but i would like to remove one tank to make space in the trunk. Is this possible? Who can do this for me? Thanks.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » April 9th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Anybody??? I just went to fill up and the attendant is telling me that i have the "old" filling system, when i asked him to explain, he said the nozzle that they have wont fit on my car and that i would have to get it changed and he walked off. Can anybody shed some light on this? Im confused...

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » April 13th, 2015, 9:17 am

if u in south, in duncan village there's a place that does the installation. you can probally ask the tech there about the connectors

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 3rd, 2018, 11:41 pm

Whats the latest on cng? Considering installing on a honda IMA hybrid

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 4th, 2018, 12:45 am

baby hulk wrote:Whats the latest on cng? Considering installing on a honda IMA hybrid
Cng on a hybrid...?...

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 4th, 2018, 4:52 am

Yep

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 5th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Not making much sense, the hybrid does does switch so fast you doesnt know. The cng system doesnt work like that.

i would like the challenge tho.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 5th, 2018, 9:33 pm

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Last edited by Ted_v2 on January 15th, 2019, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 6th, 2018, 3:27 pm

There is a different kit for Gasoline direct injection engines like in the hybrids, the honda IMA hybrid system is a mild hybrid system where the engine rarely shuts off. It shouldnot be to dificult in converting to cng

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 6th, 2018, 3:29 pm

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 11th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:Well lemme throw my 2c.
i work at one of the largest retrofitters in the country, i work on 99 percent of the vehicles on the road today. Stuff from 110 corollas straight to brand new kia tuscons and ceratos

Some vehicles it makes sense like a tiida, b15 almera y11 y12 ect. Stuff like the new kias i wont like think its making sense. i see it as depreciation.

the kits are sequential and are tuned by a ecu. The regulator pressure increases as normal gasoline system. very efficient.

yuh cannot tell the diff between the two.
Its est 12,000$ for a gasoline vehicle. SUVS are 13,500$ and diesels are like 30k+

Sent you a PM

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 11th, 2018, 10:08 pm

The cng system that I have, shuts off when the engine shuts off. And the restarts once, three conditions 3 satisfied: the cng powered on, the engine temp is above a certain temp, and u Rev past a certain rpm.
So, usually, once I leave the system on, it would automatically power up on start, and once the engine reaches normal Temps, the temp condition is satisfied. So is really just to Rev up to a min rpm, which is like 1000 rpm or so, fir the cng to go into service.

Depends on what duration the engine is on, to charge up the batteries, would make sense.

Cause if the system switches on and off quite frequently, u might run through the cycles of the solenoid a lot quicker than expected.

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 12th, 2018, 12:25 am

sMASH wrote:The cng system that I have, shuts off when the engine shuts off. And the restarts once, three conditions 3 satisfied: the cng powered on, the engine temp is above a certain temp, and u Rev past a certain rpm.
So, usually, once I leave the system on, it would automatically power up on start, and once the engine reaches normal Temps, the temp condition is satisfied. So is really just to Rev up to a min rpm, which is like 1000 rpm or so, fir the cng to go into service.

Depends on what duration the engine is on, to charge up the batteries, would make sense.

Cause if the system switches on and off quite frequently, u might run through the cycles of the solenoid a lot quicker than expected.
Ok, well in the HONDA IMA HYBRID system the engine runs like a normal gas vehicle, it only shuts off when you mash the brakes and come to a dead stop. If you run the AC on high the engine never shuts off. At idle you can rev the engine like normal as well. So i think should work well with cng also. My vehicle is a honda fit shuttle hybrid. Where you installed your cng kit?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 12th, 2018, 5:43 am

well then yes... if there is significant engine run i time, i too think it would be worth it..

once u willing to pull the trigger.

i had also asked the cng guys to tune the cng kit on the rich side. i didnt want it leaning out coming down to the lower pressures when the cng tank goes to empty.

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Ok

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » October 12th, 2018, 11:14 pm

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 13th, 2018, 7:13 am

Lol, multifuel hybrid.

Dborse
Riding on 13's

Postby Dborse » January 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm

"CNG DAMAGE ENGINES"
In 2003 (TBO SERIES ) I brought a brand new pick up with a 2.6 l gas engine.On the inception I wanted to install CNG but the Firm said if I do,it will void my warranty.In 2007 I installed a Roda GAS cng kit in said vehicle after 2 yrs it cause the cylinder head valves to get tight due to the valve seats burning thus causing the engine to rought idle evently it overheated and damage the engine. Advice to cng uses: CNG burn at a higher temperature and our vehicles are not designed to use this fuel.Check you owner's manual
The other vehicle was a PAT Nissan sunny same experiece with the engine. I have used cng for mor than 15yrs in various vehicles they all ended up with the same situation above. Some was saved by doing a complete head job others engine was changed.This is first hand experience. buy HYBRID OR ELECTRIC CARS.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 15th, 2019, 10:55 pm

how about u stop giving wrong advice here?

are you aware there are CNG kits that have split fuel abilities? and uses a percentage of gasoline and CNG?
kits that has petrol addition at certain RPM loads and conditions?

those older junk kits people talking about is behind the curve. Now people using o2 sensors, knock sensors ect to properly tune a cng kit, no more adjusting with screwdrivers and draining out oil ect.

baby hulk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby baby hulk » January 23rd, 2019, 11:12 am

Anyone converted a newer diesel engine to use cng as well and give a review.

BIG BLUE
Street 2NR

Postby BIG BLUE » February 1st, 2019, 7:34 pm

Good evening I'm really thinking of installing a cng kit in my y12 wingroad,can any one who has a y12 with cng give me some details /pics on performance brand of kit how much trunk space is left after
Thanks for any information or advice

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » February 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Hey can anyone provide some installers name and contact location also thanks.. want to do an install soon

BIG BLUE
Street 2NR

Postby BIG BLUE » May 2nd, 2019, 10:04 am

Good day I have an autogas stag 4 cng kit installed on a y12 wingroad and I'm experiencing hesitation on pull off and the occasional shut down do any one experience this and has anyone solve this issue

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 12th, 2019, 8:46 am

BIG BLUE wrote:Good day I have an autogas stag 4 cng kit installed on a y12 wingroad and I'm experiencing hesitation on pull off and the occasional shut down do any one experience this and has anyone solve this issue

air filter good? change it and see if u get a difference.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » July 25th, 2019, 10:09 am

nismotrinidappa wrote:Hey can anyone provide some installers name and contact location also thanks.. want to do an install soon

Did you get through?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm

baby hulk wrote:Anyone converted a newer diesel engine to use cng as well and give a review.

Dumore has a hilux or two I think with it. Truck is used daily.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”