Forums

Permit to Use Revolving Amber Light???

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Permit to Use Revolving Amber Light???

Postby turbo_beast369 » September 18th, 2009, 9:54 am

I know this is not exactly the correct thread to be asking but if anybody here can shed some light on this for me:

I work at a transport company and las nite one of our 10 Ton Flatbed Trucks was passing by cross crossing by d traffic lights and there were licensing officers there and they stopped the truck and gave the driver a ticket worth $150 saying that you need a permit for having a normal amber revolving light which is mandatory by some companies on any vehicle that carrying heavy load. Now I find that is rel stupidness...most if not all trucks have revolving lights and mind you the regulation states that the revolving light supposed to be amber in colour NOT white like how some ppl have strobe light on d roof of their trucks...first time I hearing that you need a permit for a revolving light...this company has been in operation over 10 years and never has that so called permit been as issue....any input would be appreciated....government raping we in different positions everyday!!!!

Pinky
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Pinky » September 18th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Dude we had 2 pairs of white strobes on the wrecker and i never had broblems other than the Police telling me to take them o fbecause it too bright

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » September 18th, 2009, 9:05 pm

police cant tell u 2 take out nuttin from yuh vehicle...only licensing officers....apparently what I heard is that there was a law that you need a permit to have revolving light on your vehicle which is CRAP becuz they never notified truck owners about this law...but they jus handing out tickets....

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » September 18th, 2009, 9:18 pm

contest it in court.

praise
Sweet on this forum

Postby praise » September 18th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Did the truck passed inspection with the revolving light? If it did, then you have a strong case. I mean if you did not have the flashing amber light as a warning to on coming traffic, I can understand you being charged. There is a regulation for unauthorised lights, but in this case this does not apply. You are supposedto have the warning lights. Under what regulation did you get charged? It should be written on the ticket. Also, only the police have authority to charge for traffic offensive. This ruling was recently handed down by a high court judge. Like my friend above said, contest it in court.

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » September 19th, 2009, 9:09 am

that particular truck was licensed las year October-November (TCK) but not with the revolving light...we put it on afterwards...all my other trucks have passed inspection with that same brand revolving light...and is years now d trucks goin licensing office....the ticket wasnt becuz we didnt have it on....it was becuz we needed permission to have such light....I still dont understand why they would categorise a safety/warning light by saying it is unauthorised.....if government want to get more money out of ppl and especially companies...they should visit all them contracter and trucking companies and charge them for all dem revolving lights..they they go make a mint off of that...

I not sure of the regulation I got charged under but when I go back in the office I will check it....

Phoenix4tt
Riding on 13's

Postby Phoenix4tt » September 19th, 2009, 9:15 am

You can get the Motor Vehicle act online. Not sure if it will help you. Give me your mailing addressing I gots a copy.

Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 7143 » September 19th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Phoenix4tt,a copy of the act would be real good...so we will know we rights....

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » September 19th, 2009, 11:50 pm

MOTOR VEHICLES AND ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATIONS Chap. 48:50

Part .V - Inspection of Motor Vehicles

Regulation 28: Conditions of use of motor vehicles on public road. [197/1999].

Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Regulations, Ch. 48:50, 28(m)(iv)

Lights

28. No person shall cause or permit a motor vehicle to be used on any public road, or shall drive or have charge of a motor vehicle when so used unless the conditions set out below are satisfied, namely—
(m)(iv) no spot lamps or other similar swiveling lamps shall be carried on any motor vehicle
without the authority of the Licensing Authority, who may authorize such lights at his discretion and subject to such conditions as he may impose;

MOTOR VEHICLES AND ROAD TRAFFIC (ENFORCEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION) ACT CHAPTER 48:52

(Sections 6 and 11). [20 of 2000].

Offense No.15: Vehicle with unauthorised spot or swivel lights

Enactment REF: Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Regulations, Ch. 48:50, 28(m)(iv)

Fixed Penalty: $200TTD

Penalty Points to be Awarded: 30

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » September 20th, 2009, 12:01 am

You have to apply to the Acting Traffic Commissioner, Mr. Ruben Cato, requesting permission and giving the reason(s) to use such lights.

If he (Cato) accepts your justification/reasoning, your application is accepted and a authorization letter issued, which under the specific terms and conditions stipulated, can then be presented if ever challenged at a road block or traffic check point by a Licensing Authority Transport Officer.

turbo_beast369, you're lucky they didn't seize the light.

Ironically, the country's main suppliers of these amber revolving lights will tell you you don't need authorization to use them. Wrong!

NB: Strobes (especially white ones) are also illegal on transport vehicles, only revolving lights are permitted.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » September 20th, 2009, 9:50 am

wuz de pt of swivelling lights anyway? nobody doh take it orn unless it blue

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » September 20th, 2009, 11:06 pm

norstar2k Thanks for the detailed info !!!!

brakefluid
3NE 2NR for life

Postby brakefluid » September 22nd, 2009, 8:18 am

good info

cjawahir
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cjawahir » September 23rd, 2009, 3:18 pm

norstar2k, thanks for the info

cj

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby bigchief3679 » September 25th, 2009, 7:36 pm

these laws are defn not enforced enough. was coming up from south wednesday night and there was a yellow truck at couva with a revolving light in a metal cage right above its rear mudflap, blinding everybody behind as its directly at eye level!!!

Ashmal
Riding on 13's

Re: Permit to Use Revolving Amber Light???

Postby Ashmal » October 1st, 2018, 9:08 pm

Send all them license road officers home the country needs the money and would save millions by sending them home just keep the ones in the license office to issue license they can't do the police work but the police does the same road and do they job so send them home they have no sense of discretion

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”