Forums

Views on mixing gases (Super & premium)

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Views on mixing gases (Super & premium)

Postby caglowe » November 29th, 2009, 11:45 am

I would like some professional suggestion on mixing premium and super gas for a QG18DE nissan engine.The car since imported never used super and i studing if it would have any side effects since it works very very good mechanically.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 29th, 2009, 2:24 pm

imo, super is sheit, ever looked in a carburetor and see the red residue, imagine that in your fuel injectors. Stick to premium and avoid the headache.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » November 29th, 2009, 2:50 pm

QG18de
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Minimum RON 91

Super should work just fine......concerned about the red dye accumulation then maybe redline complete fuel treatment when filling should be good enough to keep system clean......

$1.30 more per litre for premium works out to be a quite sizeable sum monthly if car is run often and you have frequent filling of fuel tank.......

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » November 29th, 2009, 5:03 pm

As much as i do not want the head ache it is getting over bearing for me, I live in the north and i work in south so that is about twice i fill my tank for the week at $200 a full up but if it has serious complication i will have to keep feeding her premium gas

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 29th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Try it and see how it works for u, my daily driver is a galant gdi, due to the high pressure fuel pump in my car i have no choice but to run premium, and i live south and work in town, so i can understand the gas headaches. I believe that the Nissan is a little more tolerant of the super and ~˜VëgŲ˜~, had some good advice, liquimoly injector cleaner worked well for me when i tried the super jus couldn't take the idling problems and loss of power.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » November 29th, 2009, 6:59 pm

man rollingstock, those gdi galant demand premium......remember putting super a couple times in mine (out of necessity) and that gave me so much pinging and poor performance......when it got its premium all was well....

caglowe, if any adverse effects with the super (don't think that you should get) maybe try an octane boost.......the price per bottle ought to work out to be less than the difference you would have to put out for premium.....just a thought

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 29th, 2009, 7:02 pm

~˜VëgŲ˜~, yeah man learnt that the hard way, but i can understand the reason people do it, compare $22 super per day to $48 premium, and i kid you not, it's very tempting sometimes.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 29th, 2009, 10:05 pm

you can use super !!! octane rating test shows that the super is actually 93RON and Premium is about 96RON. It does not make sense mixing cause you are just wasting your $$... Stick to Super or check your owners manual Recommendations.

If you are unsure, call your dealer or NP and find out ...

But stick to super you should not have any problems :!:

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » December 1st, 2009, 4:35 pm

i doh have a qg18 but i have the qr20 and super works fine in it no real peformance difference with the premium

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » December 2nd, 2009, 12:08 am

TintMan wrote:octane rating test shows that the super is actually 93RON and Premium is about 96RON...

Premium is about 96RON... Actually, Petrotrin says that Premium is 95RON.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 2nd, 2009, 3:31 pm

Use what your manual recommends. I f it says you can use super, use it. There is a lot of speculation about Super's octane, but unless you really have doubts or proof to the contrary, use it.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » December 4th, 2009, 8:31 am

try mixing 250ml of kerosene when filling up ,, it will help clean your injectors

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » December 5th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Sanctifier wrote:
TintMan wrote:octane rating test shows that the super is actually 93RON and Premium is about 96RON...

Premium is about 96RON... Actually, Petrotrin says that Premium is 95RON.

your car should be able to run super conforatbly.look for detonation and the pinging/knocking sound.If you wnat you cna increase the octane a few points with octane booster of some sort.dont bother to use the premium unleaded unless the manufacturer clearly states that it be used

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » December 6th, 2009, 3:22 pm

super ftw

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 7th, 2009, 12:56 pm

I stickin to fkn super yes......yesterday I decided to fill with premium and so paid the attendant meh $200 in advance, waiting to roll to pump #5.....my turn reach and so rolling forward slowly I was looking at where the pump was only to hear a scrunch sound in the front and feel the bump.......apparently the corolla before me decided to stop after he pulled out from fill........no damage to mine but his rear bumper got some paint damage......cost me a $200......

So normally that fill would've cost me $150 in my local gas station....but that premium fill cost me $400.... :evil:

I could have filled up 3 times with that money.........steups :evil:

SUPER FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by ~Vēġó~ on December 7th, 2009, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » December 7th, 2009, 1:21 pm

I have been mixing the two gases for about a week now and the difference is very noticiable the idling is much rougher and take off is a little slower

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 7th, 2009, 2:52 pm

~˜VëgŲ˜~ wrote:I stickin to fkn super yes......yesterday I decided to fill with premium and so paid the attendant meh $200 in advance, waiting to roll to pump #5.....my turn reach and so rolling forward slowly I was looking at where the pump was only to hear a scrunch sound in the front and feel the bump.......apparently the corolla before me decided to stop after he pulled out from fill........no damage to mine but his rear bumper got some paint damage......cost me a $200......

So normally that fill would've cost me $150 in my local gas station....but that premium fill cost me $400.... :evil:

I could have filled up 3 times with that money.........steups :evil:

SUPER FTW!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaha....sorry to hear about that, but be glad u doh hadda go grande every day ne more

octane boost on super is probably a waste, since most octane boost only raises the octane number by .1 i belive and thats not doing much to super gas

mixing both may help, but i guess thats up 2 u...some friends i kno does it and they say it works better than super alone

the red thing, is a dye and not lead, so dont be mistaken as both are UNLEADED fuel and super is not dirty etc...

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm

X_Factor wrote:hahahahaha....sorry to hear about that, but be glad u doh hadda go grande every day ne more

damn right!!!!!! from 150km to 26km daily......but the road I have to travel on now is exasperating.....say what, drive slowly and all is well!

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » December 7th, 2009, 6:44 pm

vega ah doh realy think that would be classed as a professional reason why not to fill up with premium
lol

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » December 8th, 2009, 4:11 pm

caglowe wrote:I have been mixing the two gases for about a week now and the difference is very noticiable the idling is much rougher and take off is a little slower

yeah same thing here-with the super the acceleration is poorer for sure. but i prefer save the $

Mosaic
Sweet on this forum

Postby Mosaic » December 14th, 2009, 12:00 am

Here's the thing.... u gotta fill up and measure your mileage. U can't wanna run like a speed demon and have it economical. More acceleration means more load which can mean detonation....so your ECU pulls its timing so u waste gas for cooling etc. If u figure u gonna run aggressive u should use the higher octane = later detonation = more timing = more torque. If u want economy...use super and Do NOT floor it or pull heavy loads.

I run an SR20VET Turbo Xtrail and I have tested both premium and super. ZERO mileage difference with reasonable driving...an occasional pull here and there. That means I am not suffering from timing retard due to detonation so mileage holds up. I am saving $60 per tank now. If u suffer poor mileage due to super, u need higher octane.
GDI vehicles actually need 98 Octane. National Petroleum says its fuel is MINIMUM 92RON or 95RON, can be higher.

Just so u know..every 10 Degrees cooler intake air or coolant reduces 1 full octane point in fuel needs. So if u can run cool/humid intake air and set your radiator fan to cool from 85 instead of 95 deg C you can realise premium perf. from super gas.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » December 14th, 2009, 7:22 am

^^^ nice info there.

exia_sir
Sweet on this forum

Postby exia_sir » January 19th, 2010, 6:15 pm

engine performance would drop .... hmmm try octane boost ...might give u a lil more kick with the super

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » January 20th, 2010, 9:20 am

Mosaic, i agree that both types give roughly the same mileage. there is, however, a noted difference in performance.

mixing both is not recommended, as the octane does not "average out" to a higher number than super and has been known to lead to erratic idling and performance.

i agree with X_Factor, octane boosters do NOT make a significant difference with super. tried it once on a tank of premium :arrow: the performance was AMAZING :!: the mileage was not...

i use super in my 4G18, with one (1) fillup of premium and a Red Line S1 System Cleaner once a month. been doing this for about 8 months now, i've never had a problem with knocking, pinging, etc. would recommend this for anyone who uses lots of gas in long running AND can use super :mrgreen:

josh.dookie
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby josh.dookie » January 20th, 2010, 3:31 pm

had a bluebird Legrand for 1year, QG18de as well, mixed gas, used octance boosters, no probs watsoever...

josh.dookie
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby josh.dookie » January 20th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Yeah and be sure to clean injectors ever so often, u mite start and car mite not idle smoothly, time to clean injectors, u can do it without damaging ur engine..

Evoloution
Ricer

Postby Evoloution » January 20th, 2010, 3:55 pm

what about Super gas in ah NZE.

josh.dookie
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby josh.dookie » January 21st, 2010, 9:24 am

Read d thread dawg, it doh make a difference, use it if you want to...

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » January 21st, 2010, 9:31 am

Is it wise to use water injection on a NA car?

STi-N
Trinituner Peong

Postby STi-N » January 21st, 2010, 9:32 am

jus use d super

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”