Forums

Post your engine oil / grade / price / location

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » December 1st, 2009, 9:46 pm

deleted
Last edited by acesinghit on December 3rd, 2009, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 1st, 2009, 10:00 pm

^^ i hav some friends who swear by Amsoil though,
13b rotary turbo (ported) with 100shot nos reving really high

other oils burned off really easily and got very thin as the oils aged

and from what they said, the next oil to "hold up" was NP synthetic

in the end i think its all wat works for u yes

Damien
punchin NOS

Postby Damien » December 1st, 2009, 10:15 pm

it doesnt matter which is the best most off them are good its just what you have experience, there will never be any best oil :|

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » December 1st, 2009, 10:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by acesinghit on December 3rd, 2009, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 1st, 2009, 10:26 pm

i am not going to deny that amsoil is a good oil but i deal with it cause of the longevity of the product and todate with over 40k km use at 10k km change intervals I have no bad to report

i am sure other great synthetics would yield same results but for the price i get it, no other brand could compete

btw, i am a quaker state die hard, recorded fastest 1/4 mile times using quaker state oils

back to topic
Amsoil 10w-30, price is whatever i decide to sell myself it :lol:

saxman642
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby saxman642 » December 1st, 2009, 10:49 pm

Red Line 10W40 or 10W30
$65 - Car Boutique

BlackXT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackXT » December 2nd, 2009, 3:52 pm

Schaeffer 7000 Synthetic -20w 50 - 70 per quart

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 2nd, 2009, 5:35 pm

Quaker State 20W50. Wherever I can get it betwixt Couva and Chaguanas

sr20ve
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby sr20ve » December 2nd, 2009, 6:28 pm

Greddy GR1
10W60
$200/qt

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » December 2nd, 2009, 6:50 pm

supertech full synthetic 5W30 oil and filter
$107TT or $17US a gallon ---> walmart oil :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I change my oil every 3k miles.
Last time I pulled the head off it was clean as a whistle and this is with 260000 kms

IMHO the thing with oil is as long as you change oil regularly you would be fine. Especially on a relatively stock car or semi modified car.

However I also believe in certain oil for certain engines. Eg high mileage cars would benefit more from oil with the special additives for high mileage motors
or amsoil race oil for built motors and shizznit like that

haydn28
Riding on 17's

Postby haydn28 » December 2nd, 2009, 9:16 pm

castrol gtx 20w 50 $135 by double R, balmain

slick 50 occasionally treatment ..... :fadein:

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » December 2nd, 2009, 9:27 pm

x2floor wrote:
A172 wrote:
nes123 wrote:On the contrary,While I agree with the highlighted above......you shouldn't include Amsoil or Mobil 1 cuz both are better than Castrol....Castrol is over rated and because its used in Nascar doesn't mean a dam thing,cuz after any race they dumb the oil for fresh oil...wonder why :lol:

Additionally...I have tested both Castrol and Amsoil in a NZE and CS3 and I can tell you with the Amsoil both engines operate cooler and quieter than with Castrol

there's a stock internals, high comp. turbocharged engine churning out > 300whp for over a year now running Castrol GTX religiously

I think I'll take that proof over your 'tests' :|

kthxbai.

excellent post but do you feel that your engine will run cooler and thus have prolonged life or increased performance if you use Amsoil? In addition, do you share the view that you will save more money if you switch to Amsoil?

no

I attribute increased performance and prolonged life to the tune the motor gets :arrow:

maintain yuh sh1t and yuh have no worries. 8-)

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 2nd, 2009, 9:52 pm

I dunno, I'm pretty iffy about buying a more expensive oil and justifying it with an incredibly longer change interval.

The longer it stays in there with my short distance, idle-in-traffic, stop-n-go driving, the more chance of sludge buildup because of course for any given volume of oil, it can really only hold so much debris in suspension for so long. Almost twice the price, for it to remain in your engine almost three times as long, no thanks.

Gimme a good quality oil at a good price price and I'll change it every 4000km as normal and engine flush every other oil change. It'll ease my mind.

trini_ravi
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trini_ravi » December 3rd, 2009, 6:42 am

castrol 20w -50 $100 + $15vat from my cousin working Tracmac

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » December 3rd, 2009, 7:51 am

Hook wrote:I dunno, I'm pretty iffy about buying a more expensive oil and justifying it with an incredibly longer change interval.

The longer it stays in there with my short distance, idle-in-traffic, stop-n-go driving, the more chance of sludge buildup because of course for any given volume of oil, it can really only hold so much debris in suspension for so long. Almost twice the price, for it to remain in your engine almost three times as long, no thanks

Gimme a good quality oil at a good price price and I'll change it every 4000km as normal and engine flush every other oil change. It'll ease my mind.

HookUnderstood, but my point wasn't justifying the same, but merely showing some insight into the Amsoil brand...with any oil,both logic and case studies prove oil needs to be changed in stop and go traffic shorter than expected oil change interval...says so behind the bottle also.....but I brought scientific proof to the table and men like x2floor rather take correction/additional knowledge as an insult to his intelligence...sounds like PMS to me...

Fact is the bar chart at the bottom of the link clearly shows engine wear characteristics by brand......so A172 by all means you can take your " stock internals, high comp. turbocharged engine churning out > 300whp for over a year now running Castrol GTX religiously" point and apply the same to your everyday driver GA15, 4efe ect.....but what you fail to realise is that different engine manufacturers ie. toyota,mitsu, nissan etc...all use different composites to make up their various intricate engine parts; which is why certain engines last longer than others in stock trim...the tests shown were done on studies with more than one engine brand name.....bottom line, see how long before that 300hp engine holds out before needing a ring job, then get back to me...1yr, 2yrs...as oppsoed to if they have tried the Amsoil in the same engine and you record the time before another ring job

Amsoil dealer - PH#6336110 @ approx $63 per qrt

A172

Postby A172 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am

um pal, the turbocharged engine I'm referring to is in a daily driver racking up mucho km's daily so your point in comparing it to economy engines is moot

2yrs on a stock high compression bamboo engine putting down over 300whp needing a ring job after 2 years of everyday driving and racing? even if that was the case, i don't think that's too bad, no? 8-)

don't worry, i know you tryna rate up de Amsoil any way possible to make it seem 'superior' and 'everyone will be better off buying it' compared to other conventional oils....but some people tend to rely on this thing for peace of mind......y'know......experience :|

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:06 am

x2floor wrote:despite a distasteful disposition shown by 1 member, some people including myself like to change oil once every 3 months/4,800kms as opposed to once every year/20,000kms. Ofcourse, some of us love to talk about evidence in here so for the benefit of those of us who don't know, please someone show me an engine using Amsoil synthetic motor oil that lasted longer than an engine using Castrol GTX being serviced as scheduled once every 4,800kms.

btw nes......$63./qt you say? Where you got that price from? I saw this from GEAR HEAD , he has them from $76.-$90./ qt.

what was distasteful about additonal information sharing? :|

by al means if your pocket is swollen enough to afford oil changes every 3 mths go right ahead..the 20k km interval is based on if you are running strickly highway and no traffic like I do....I doing 12k km in 1 yr no traffic...so for me it is a savings.....

additionally take your time an read the link I posted prior to your ranting before your ask rhetorical and redundant questions....we on tuner to share information and learn from each other...so please do not be offended in any way...as knowledeable as you may seem at times, you are not always right about everything....these guys make it their business to study oil compositions..this is what pays their bills..who are we to doubt when the proof is their....my example between the CS3 and NZE were just 2 measily self tests...how many of you in here can say you have tested both oils in 2 or more different cars?????....haven't seen anyone in this thread indicate they did..instead we have haters

I have nothing to gain from promoting oil sales...but you all have something to gain from experience...so try the two in your cars then see if your notice a difference

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:11 am

A172 wrote:um pal, the turbocharged engine I'm referring to is in a daily driver racking up mucho km's daily so your point in comparing it to economy engines is moot

2yrs on a stock high compression bamboo engine putting down over 300whp needing a ring job after 2 years of everyday driving and racing? even if that was the case, i don't think that's too bad, no? 8-)

don't worry, i know you tryna rate up de Amsoil any way possible to make it seem 'superior' and 'everyone will be better off buying it' compared to other conventional oils....but some people tend to rely on this thing for peace of mind......y'know......experience :|

I see you gloating about experience..so that means you have tried both oil types to back that up with ....y'know..."your experience"....if that is the case then you should apply for a job in the oil industry if you prove them wrong..alternatively if you have tried it...you deserve a crix for that :lol:

A172

Postby A172 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:17 am

so after the facts I've presented....is Castrol GTX inferior to Amsoil?

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:24 am

A172 wrote:so after the facts I've presented....is Castrol GTX inferior to Amsoil?

Don't get me wrong buddy...I was a die hard Castrol man until I seen the light :lol:

Castrol is good...but for the love of christ and all that is good...please red the link I posted...more specifically the bar charts to the bottom showing who protects more against engine wear..

while you may get good protection against enegine wear, mobil1 protects more than the castrol,but amsoil is superior yes to answer your question... :roll:

but as I say....we all have our own preferences...you do you..I'll do me

A172

Postby A172 » December 3rd, 2009, 8:33 am

man anyone with the interw3bz and into tuning has seen that chart a while now :|

no-one is disputing that Amsoil has better qualities than other oils asit can clearly seen by the comparison

but if you think it's gonna make your engine last longer and give so much greater performance in your everyday econobox compared to using a cheaper one with proper maintenance....by all means, tell yourself that :|

good talk

EL JEFE
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EL JEFE » December 3rd, 2009, 8:42 am

A172 wrote:man anyone with the interw3bz and into tuning has seen that chart a while now :|

no-one is disputing that Amsoil has better qualities than other oils asit can clearly seen by the comparison

but if you think it's gonna make your engine last longer and give so much greater performance in your everyday econobox compared to using a cheaper one with proper maintenance....by all means, tell yourself that :|

good talk

Co-sign!! :idea: :idea:

15w-40 Quaker State. Kazim in California $35 a quart.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 3rd, 2009, 10:18 am

Mobil 1 15W50 Extended Gold Cap....$70/qt at Car Boutique

Aquarius
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Aquarius » December 3rd, 2009, 10:23 am

Castrol GTX 20W-50
$133.00

X2

I tried the 10w-30, but meh pops advise meh not to use that on my used SR20de+T :roll:

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 3rd, 2009, 10:33 am

I personally only consider using Mobil 1, Amsoil and Red Line as true synthetics. Castrol lost a legal battle some time back when it was promoting its Syntec as a full synthetic even though it was using a Group III basestock as opposed to those I named above. Exxon-Mobil brought the lawsuit against the makers of Castrol Syntec and won the case. Red Ine is a full Group V synthetic which I consider to be one of the best on the market...I run this in my CBR and it is excellent

As for Castrol GTX vs a Group IV or V sysnthetic I know from experience that my engine runs cooler, revs better and is significantly cleaner using Mobil 1 than Castrol GTX.....with 190000kms on my engine there is almost no varnish buildup on my internals...no sludge whatsoever....a far cry from using GTX

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 am

lol @ the "experience guy" who brings "facts" to the table against an oil he has never actually tried (ie. has no experience with said oil) but loves to have the last word.

This place really great inno!

A172

Postby A172 » December 3rd, 2009, 10:45 am

done know. 8-)

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 3rd, 2009, 10:54 am

nes123 wrote:
x2floor wrote:despite a distasteful disposition shown by 1 member, some people including myself like to change oil once every 3 months/4,800kms as opposed to once every year/20,000kms. Ofcourse, some of us love to talk about evidence in here so for the benefit of those of us who don't know, please someone show me an engine using Amsoil synthetic motor oil that lasted longer than an engine using Castrol GTX being serviced as scheduled once every 4,800kms.

btw nes......$63./qt you say? Where you got that price from? I saw this from GEAR HEAD , he has them from $76.-$90./ qt.

what was distasteful about additonal information sharing? :|

by al means if your pocket is swollen enough to afford oil changes every 3 mths go right ahead..the 20k km interval is based on if you are running strickly highway and no traffic like I do....I doing 12k km in 1 yr no traffic...so for me it is a savings.....

additionally take your time an read the link I posted prior to your ranting before your ask rhetorical and redundant questions....we on tuner to share information and learn from each other...so please do not be offended in any way...as knowledeable as you may seem at times, you are not always right about everything....these guys make it their business to study oil compositions..this is what pays their bills..who are we to doubt when the proof is their....my example between the CS3 and NZE were just 2 measily self tests...how many of you in here can say you have tested both oils in 2 or more different cars?????....haven't seen anyone in this thread indicate they did..instead we have haters

I have nothing to gain from promoting oil sales...but you all have something to gain from experience...so try the two in your cars then see if your notice a difference

Don't take him on....x feel he is the fcuking encyclopedia when it comes to cars and everything automotive....who gives a sh1t on changing oil every 3 months or 4000kms....as if that is some great rule to live by....do you think you would do that with a BMW? No...you change the oil when the oil change light comes on and even on conventional oil you can reach between 6-8000kms.....using Mobil 1 you can go up to 15000kms (my moms 3 series regularly does 15000kms on Mobil 1 Extended) before the light comes on and the service manual recommends that you change oil when so indicated.

So with a good air filter, oil filter and quality synthetic a modern day Japanese engine can easily go 10000km between oil changes and not jeopardize reliability nor longevity

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 3rd, 2009, 11:01 am

Hook wrote:lol @ the "experience guy" who brings "facts" to the table against an oil he has never actually tried (ie. has no experience with said oil) but loves to have the last word.

This place really great inno!

You retarded or slow? I said using Mobil 1 than Castrol GTX....meant I switched from one to the other so I did notice a difference .... and to make it even clearer...on the same engine

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » December 3rd, 2009, 11:10 am

A172 wrote:so after the facts I've presented....is Castrol GTX inferior to Amsoil?

Anecdotal evidence, is not scientific, or worthy of using to make a conclusion.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”