Toyota Hilux Hand Brake

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

GMSilver
Riding on 13's

Toyota Hilux Hand Brake

Postby GMSilver » March 16th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Tuners,

I have a 2007 Hilux, 2.5L 4x4 Manual 5 Fwd. Since I had the van I never felt comfortable with the handbrake. It doesn't bite and lock the rear wheels like a hand brake usually does. Anyone having the same issues?

I've adjusted this multiple times, and it gets slightly better, but then seems to revert to not working. Can't even park on a slight incline without having to use a gear.

Thanks.

Advertisement
hindian
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Toyota Hilux Hand Brake

Postby hindian » March 16th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Explain how you adjust it please do you adjust it from the lever or the drums?. What type of lever does it use? The under dash type or between the seat?

Upoettly
Riding on 13's

Postby Upoettly » August 19th, 2016, 10:10 pm

GMSilver wrote:Tuners,

I have a 2007 Hilux, 2.5L 4x4 Manual 5 Fwd. Since I had the van I never felt comfortable with the handbrake. It doesn't bite and lock the rear wheels like a hand brake usually does. Anyone having the same issues?

I've adjusted this multiple times, and it gets slightly better, but then seems to revert to not working. Can't even park on a slight incline without having to use a gear.

Thanks.

Hello there! I also encountered the same issue and just like yours i am also into people's suggestions on how to solve it. I felt like my Hilux is a total junk! Don't you think?

ADONI
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby ADONI » August 22nd, 2016, 10:19 am

You use new original Toyota brake shoes?

GMSilver
Riding on 13's

Postby GMSilver » September 8th, 2016, 7:13 am

Yup, toyota stuff

twoup
Riding on 13's

Postby twoup » September 8th, 2016, 9:45 am

I also had this problem with two different KUN25 model vans and it's a known issue at TTTL.
Unfortunately, they are no particular help and were unable to re-adjust back to specification.
When I explained to them that I cannot pass the handbrake test at licensing, because only one wheel locks, I was told by TTTL that that test is archaic and should not be done on the Hilux because it was not designed to function that way and could be damaged in the process.
Solution wise, although I don't have one yet....it's NOT the pads. From my best observations it's a function of a bias which occurs at the cable split under the vehicle.....I love my Hilux, but handbrake design is lacking, considering it can't be adjusted as necessary.
Under the vehicle, the main handbrake cable goes to the split mechanism (under a metal shield, on driver side of vehicle, close to the driveshaft cross).
At/after the split, the cable to left side rear wheel is directly connected with no adjusters along its run. Only the cable running to the right rear wheel has a turnbuckle for cable adjustment.
Weird part is, and you may have to actually see it to appreciate it, no matter how you tighten that right side turnbuckle and adjust at the drum there always seems to be a bias on first engagement to the left (non-adjustable) side.
Even if you tighten the drum roller adjuster on the 'right/lagging' wheel to the point where the wheel nearly locked and then slacken the 'left/gripping side' way loose, when put to he test, the left/slack side grips first. I suspect changing the cable may not help either.

That's my 2cents, hopefully a TTTL tech will weigh in.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”