Forums

tyres

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Re: tyres

Postby shimon » September 9th, 2017, 10:44 pm

The best I can tell you is choose what's best for your application I had the gt radial you have on your list it has a terrible rating and for me it was great wet or dry low noise no hydroplaning the only downside is that it has a 280 thread wear and 25k kms later they only had about 15 to 20 percent left these reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt Because tires perform differently on different vehicles and from my Personal experience the maxxis and comforser hold up very well and I can't tell the difference between the $840 gt radial and the $625 Maxxis z4s (well not yet anyways) let's be real how fast do you drive on the nations roads 280kph on the highway 180kph on the main roads? There are good Chinese brands as well as bad the same goes for the popular brands you seem knowledgeable about cars and should know a tire is only as good as the car it's on.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 9th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Im using maxxis on both vehicles and they work pretty good.
Had kumho on my truck before. Worked very good also and was noisy halfway through.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 10th, 2017, 8:35 am

I drive a Mazda with maybe 130hp to the front if I'm optimistic.

The Hankooks were the best of what I've used. Maybe I have used rubbish tyres up until then, I dunno, but best of what I have used.

You may have had experience with better tyres, but I have not just yet.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 10th, 2017, 9:45 am

Cool. Just like to know so we can all be better informed. I bought the coopers based on them being used on a mustang and driver saying they recovered very well. I did experience that. Hankooks never gave me that feeling. They were good for everyday due to rotational pattern. Coopers were not rotational. I am currently using Continental Extreme Contact DW. Next to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the Direzza Z1 star specs these are almost right up there.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » September 10th, 2017, 10:11 am

Highly subjective topic. Opinions can vary from both extremes of really bad and really good for the same tyre. I can only speak from direct experience, I've used the DZ102 on two very different vehicles, a front wheel drive (civic) and a rear wheel drive (S14).
Both were used for normal use, never called upon or tested at the limits of adhesion but keeping in mind that I was driving an S14 and would get bored really fast if I was driving slow. I was never disappointed in the wet or dry, never experienced hydroplaning or lost traction unexpectedly. In terms of tyre noise I never expected any total silence while driving as both those cars were not manufactured with a high quantity of insulation and thick glass all around. Therefore I can not complain about that. I can safely say it would vary according to the vehicle, though some tyres are just horrible in noise and vibration.
Also, my brother has used the sumitomo HTR z111 and the DZ102 for the last six years and his only complaint was the sumitomo wearing a little fast. Imo this is minor if the tyre provides all the grip and silence the user is looking for.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 10th, 2017, 11:02 am

^^^ The actual "feel" of a tire on a particular vehicle, on a particular road, with a particular driver can really change the ratings. Russia and China make some good and a lot of bad in tires, firearms, electronics, knives, and optics - all very technical stuff to manufacture to best-in-class standards.

The only good advice that I have seen is to choose amongst the top half of the charts and take durability and cost into consideration. You may bring home a dog or you may find your perfect tire. At least until something better comes along.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 10th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Quite true. In this instance, I want the best I can afford and at the moment I don't think that choice lies with the Chinese brands.

We are also limited by what is available locally. Imports are an option but an expensive one and I'm not in a position to go that route. Would have loved to try some Continental Extreme Contact.

So far the Firestone and Bridgestone mentioned above look like really good options while the Toyo is $250 more per tyre. A lot of doubles can be eaten for that $1k extra.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 10th, 2017, 6:56 pm

I always over spend on tyres for your same reason. Those 4 lil patches is what keeps you on the road.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 10th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Dave wrote:I always over spend on tyres for your same reason. Those 4 lil patches is what keeps you on the road.

That contact patch statement is simplifying it a bit but I do understand where you are coming from.

I like the balanced approach. I do spend good money on tyres, but I don't cheap out either.
If I can spend 50%of the cost of one tyre and get 98% of its performance...I got my tyre. Then again knowing that I have less, I drive to suit.

I wouldn't buy anything from relatively unknown brands... But I bear in mind that the majority of traffic that is along for my daily commute, most likely purchased those same, very cheap tyres that I avoided...I might be capable of stopping on a dime but can the person behind you.
Just some food for thought

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 10th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:We are also limited by what is available locally.

Exactly.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 10th, 2017, 9:17 pm

kamakazi wrote: But I bear in mind that the majority of traffic that is along for my daily commute, most likely purchased those same, very cheap tyres that I avoided...I might be capable of stopping on a dime but can the person behind you.
Just some food for thought

Fella, You don't know how much this bothers me daily. Got rear ended already, on the Beetham no less, and am fcuking paranoid about this. Gradual braking except in emergency and pretend racecar mode.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 10th, 2017, 9:23 pm

What about those expensive Michelin tires by quick service you ever tried those?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 11th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Nah man. Maybe you can after the GT Radial All Season is done. When you're done driving in the snow etc.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 11th, 2017, 10:46 pm

For me tyres are like brakes, if u spend bad money you either grin and bare it or you fork out for another set. I fed up spend bad money in my life so my decisions are always based on community feedback and testing done by larger bodies.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 12th, 2017, 10:13 am

The Chinese tyre market is growing a lot.

It seems like the retailers price the majority of them $100 - $200 cheaper than the Japanese alternative.

Apparently local demand is increasing for them. I would like to know how they're holding up in comparison.

In the meantime, not me and that.

A33_VQ35
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby A33_VQ35 » September 12th, 2017, 12:52 pm

The attrezzo brand holds up pretty well. Have it on a suv 3 yrs plus n still have life. I kno others who have hp vehicles that uses it also. Plus it's way cheaper than comparable brand tyres

cueball1990
Trinituner Peong

Postby cueball1990 » September 13th, 2017, 8:51 am

has anyone heard of or tried Keter brand tyres?

yvan300
3NE 2NR for life

Postby yvan300 » September 20th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Have been using Haida tires for the last two years. Holds up well. No problems. For daily driving its more than suitable. Only costs me $400 a tire for 225/45/17.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » September 20th, 2017, 7:22 pm

shimon wrote:What about those expensive Michelin tires by quick service you ever tried those?

Well worth the extra $ imho...once your vehicle has no suspension issues

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » September 21st, 2017, 10:38 am

Same ole ting again guys...
Looking for a full set of Summer Performance tyres with excellent wet handling

Wanna know where I can get the following:
Max price range is $1K per tyre.
Profile: 225/45R17

Hankook ventus V12 evo2
Hankook ventus S1 evo2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
TOYO Proxes Sport
TOYO Proxes T1 Sport Plus

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 21st, 2017, 10:50 am

yvan300 wrote:Have been using Haida tires for the last two years. Holds up well. No problems. For daily driving its more than suitable. Only costs me $400 a tire for 225/45/17.

Haida sidewalls started cracking in under 3 months on my car. Never ran them under inflated

yvan300
3NE 2NR for life

Postby yvan300 » September 21st, 2017, 11:13 am

j.o.e wrote:
yvan300 wrote:Have been using Haida tires for the last two years. Holds up well. No problems. For daily driving its more than suitable. Only costs me $400 a tire for 225/45/17.

Haida sidewalls started cracking in under 3 months on my car. Never ran them under inflated

Did you check the tire manufacture date to ensure they were fresh? Some years ago I bought new tires and didn't know to check the date. They were five years old and I got a blowout on the highway. The tires I buy now are no more than a few months old. Never had any dry rotting issues with the Haida tires.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 21st, 2017, 11:18 am

Always do they were manufactured Dec 16. Never me and Chinese tires again. I actually didn’t want to purchase them but in haste didn’t have time to run around.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » September 23rd, 2017, 1:53 pm

Stopped at a traffic light today and glanced at the car next to me. It had TOEE tires ... a next china tire. It hard to keep up with these things

Pit-Crew
Street 2NR

Postby Pit-Crew » November 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm

So my Focus just hit 2 years and I need to replace the front pair of Continental ContiPremium Contact 2 tyres the car came with. the profile is 215/55R16.

Does anyone have a suggested dealer I can check? Laughlin was a waste of time. I'd rather not spend 1500 a tyre but I want to try to keep it COntinental as the rear tyres still have real life on them.

Licensed to Walk!
3NE 2NR for life
Location: Refusing to beg ppl to do the job they're being paid for!

Postby Licensed to Walk! » November 23rd, 2017, 4:32 pm

j.o.e wrote:

Had a similar issue with Haida sidewalls cracking, and tyre noise/ layer separation from the Fullrun brand. In both instances the tyres were less than six months old. 1st set (Haida)came with the wheels as a package from retailer, second set (Fullrun) replaced by retailer at reduced cost. Not me again.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 25th, 2017, 12:29 am

Pit-Crew wrote:So my Focus just hit 2 years and I need to replace the front pair of Continental ContiPremium Contact 2 tyres the car came with. the profile is 215/55R16.

Does anyone have a suggested dealer I can check? Laughlin was a waste of time. I'd rather not spend 1500 a tyre but I want to try to keep it COntinental as the rear tyres still have real life on them.

if you willing to drop to 205 55 16
courts mega store has bridgestone

Pit-Crew
Street 2NR

Postby Pit-Crew » November 27th, 2017, 2:49 pm

X_Factor wrote:
Pit-Crew wrote:So my Focus just hit 2 years and I need to replace the front pair of Continental ContiPremium Contact 2 tyres the car came with. the profile is 215/55R16.

if you willing to drop to 205 55 16
courts mega store has bridgestone

Thanks. WIll check it out. But tbh, I really don't want to reduce tyre width. If anything I would have gone to 225.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » November 29th, 2017, 2:17 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:Stopped at a traffic light today and glanced at the car next to me. It had TOEE tires ... a next china tire. It hard to keep up with these things

Glanced a Tida next to me using Comforser :|

Jade_Inc.
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jade_Inc. » November 29th, 2017, 3:02 pm

TurboSingh12 wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:Stopped at a traffic light today and glanced at the car next to me. It had TOEE tires ... a next china tire. It hard to keep up with these things

Glanced a Tida next to me using Comforser :|

Comforser working good on my everyday vehicle..tyre going in a year and have plenty life

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”