tyres

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: tyres

Postby Musical Doc » July 3rd, 2018, 9:36 am

ADONI wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:Is how I went around looking for tyres Saturday and the man at Wheel Wizard tell me all the tyres we getting now is chinese and it don't make a difference what tyre you buy.... I just smh and walk out...

Did he say Michelin making the Chinese tyre as well???

He probably don't know about those brands :roll:

still tippin'
Street 2NR

Postby still tippin' » July 9th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Got set up with some tyres and size (phone call vs actually visiting tyre shop). So now I am left with the following brands; Nankang, Achilles, Federal, Durun, Falken ze912 and Dunlop dz101. Read this thread like the bible but just need a quick local input to guide my choice. Surprise to see dz101 still selling (probably old stock) and read all the bad reviews on that tyre throughout this thread.

richgold1000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby richgold1000 » July 10th, 2018, 5:57 am

aidan wrote:Guys looking for a set of 225/60/15. Any recommendations? Only getting chinee brands everywhere I check

Brantec Ltd. They always have what I need.

richgold1000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby richgold1000 » July 10th, 2018, 5:59 am

IMG_0908.JPG

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 9th, 2018, 1:02 pm

What is the general review of Roadstone tyres? The size I am looking at is 215-55 R17 for the new Suzuki Vitara.

The front tyres are almost down to the wear indicators. The rear tyres are good.

However, the vehicle came with Continental tyres and I cannot source the size I need anywhere locally. I am also concerned with if I only change the front tyres with some other brand, because of the wear on the rear tyres whether the traction control and AWD systems may sense different rotational tyre speeds front and rear and engage either the traction control and/or AWD systems unncessarily.

In this regard, I am considering changing all four tyres. A fair number of tyre places only stock no name chinese tyres. I am not sure where the Roadstone tyres are sourced as their website says that they have R&D facilities in Korea, China, Germany and USA, and manufacturing plants in Korea and China. A fair number of tyre shops stock the Roadstone brand in this size.

Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Bro....just go by brantec in longdenville and urself a set of bridgestones.
They will most likey have the exact size u need or something really close.

Roadstone tyres get noisy and dont really perform well, especially if u was running continental before. Roadstone will be soooooo disappointing.

Change all 4 and try and maintain a proper tyre rotation. Switch the front and back and diagonally every 5,000km. So the tyres will wear evenly.

And if its an allgrip vitara. The awd system only comes on in sport/snow mode. FYI

But u need to keep the tyres sizes same still.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » August 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Rory, I doh like them Roadstone tyres. I had Roadstone on a Tucson and well it work good, but once it wore to about 60% any lil pothole is to balance over. Actually used the Bridgestones HT and that worked real good. Currently have a set of Bridgestones on another Tuscon and no problems. Kamus gave a warranty, something u don't see in sweet T&T.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » August 9th, 2018, 2:42 pm

check the country of manufacture on the tires, bridgestone we get are now made in brazil i believe, and they are not as good as the Japanese made

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 9th, 2018, 2:44 pm

X_Factor wrote:check the country of manufacture on the tires, bridgestone we get are now made in brazil i believe, and they are not as good as the Japanese made
Costa rica actually.

But still better than those $hitty roadstones.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Change all 4 and try and maintain a proper tyre rotation. Switch the front and back and diagonally every 5,000km. So the tyres will wear evenly.

That vehicle has been only serviced by Lifestyle Motors since it is still on warranty. I am surprised at the difference in wear between the front and back as I assumed LM would rotate the tyres as required when they serviced the vehicle.

Brantec wants $1,095.00/tyre for Bridgestone. Kamus doesn't have the size I need. Kelly Tyre wants $900.00/tyre for Falken. Dunlop sells for anywhere between $800 and $950/tyre. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the responses.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 9th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Change all 4 and try and maintain a proper tyre rotation. Switch the front and back and diagonally every 5,000km. So the tyres will wear evenly.

That vehicle has been only serviced by Lifestyle Motors since it is still on warranty. I am surprised at the difference in wear between the front and back as I assumed LM would rotate the tyres as required when they serviced the vehicle.

Brantec wants $1,095.00/tyre for Bridgestone. Kamus doesn't have the size I need. Kelly Tyre wants $900.00/tyre for Falken. Dunlop sells for anywhere between $800 and $950/tyre. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the responses.
I noticed the same with my wife's vitara.
Her's is dealer maintained as well and they only rotate the tyres when i request it.
Same with my mom's chevy captiva.

I woulda go with the falken if i getting the exact size i want for that price.

Dunlops on a daily driver not too bad either at that price point.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 10th, 2018, 6:22 am

In my quest for tyres for the wife's car I only do this for mine but I caved due to the lack of tyres for SUV's and brought in some Ohtsu which is made by Falken and has great reviews online.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 10th, 2018, 6:23 am

The tyres
IMG_20180809_090113.jpeg

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 10th, 2018, 6:58 am

Dave wrote:In my quest for tyres for the wife's car I only do this for mine but I caved due to the lack of tyres for SUV's and brought in some Ohtsu which is made by Falken and has great reviews online.
How does that work out?
Bringing in tyres?

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 10th, 2018, 7:42 am

In for the info to import tyres...where do u import them frim..website?...wouldnt importing tyres be alot more expensive than simply buying frim local tyre shops?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 10th, 2018, 8:51 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
Dave wrote:In my quest for tyres for the wife's car I only do this for mine but I caved due to the lack of tyres for SUV's and brought in some Ohtsu which is made by Falken and has great reviews online.
How does that work out?
Bringing in tyres?
So I see a tyre I like, buy and ship, pay local charges, visit my fav tyre shop and tell the man install them for me. Lol

No really what specifically you would like to know about it.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 10th, 2018, 9:46 am

Dave wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
How does that work out?
Bringing in tyres?
So I see a tyre I like, buy and ship, pay local charges, visit my fav tyre shop and tell the man install them for me. Lol

No really what specifically you would like to know about it.

Basically...this
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:In for the info to import tyres...where do u import them frim..website?...wouldnt importing tyres be alot more expensive than simply buying frim local tyre shops?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 10th, 2018, 9:50 am

Website - Ebay, Tire rack, Discount tire and other ones where I get a deal
I never import what I can get locally so I have no comparative to compare too. The shipping part is expensive but I get breaks on the duty and vat so it is never that bad price wise at the end.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » August 10th, 2018, 11:19 am

i've imported tires myself and i think it comes down to size & type if u have to make a comparison to local sellers

15" tires are cheaper to bring yourself depending on brand but say 18 & 19" runflats are around $2500 - $3000 each by ramrattan which is cheaper than bringing it yourself from tire rack in my experience

phaze
3NE 2NR for life

Postby phaze » August 10th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Importing isn't that bad. Discount tires is a great place to purchase especially when they have rebate offers. I just received a debit card with $100US rebate from Discount tires for purchasing a set of continentals contact sport in 18s. Tires cost $620 before rebate. With rebate that was $520. Pretty decent if you ask me for 245 40 18, I couldn't get those tires in that size locally for the price I paid with shipping and duties.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 13th, 2018, 9:36 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:What is the general review of Roadstone tyres? The size I am looking at is 215-55 R17 for the new Suzuki Vitara.

The front tyres are almost down to the wear indicators. The rear tyres are good.

However, the vehicle came with Continental tyres and I cannot source the size I need anywhere locally. I am also concerned with if I only change the front tyres with some other brand, because of the wear on the rear tyres whether the traction control and AWD systems may sense different rotational tyre speeds front and rear and engage either the traction control and/or AWD systems unncessarily.

In this regard, I am considering changing all four tyres. A fair number of tyre places only stock no name chinese tyres. I am not sure where the Roadstone tyres are sourced as their website says that they have R&D facilities in Korea, China, Germany and USA, and manufacturing plants in Korea and China. A fair number of tyre shops stock the Roadstone brand in this size.

Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

I personally like roadstone, I have always bought that since having my car and never really got any trouble with it and the price not too bad. I actually bought tyres saturday and went looking for Roadstone/Nexen. However most of the roadstone/nexen I was getting was made in china. I don't really trust these chinese made tyres even if it is a brand name lol. Finally found some korean made roadstone in penal.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 18th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Today I bought four Dunlop Grandtrek PT2 tyres (the tyres were manufactured in Japan).

Everything, including new valve stems, came up to $3,180 at Tyre Clinic in Chaguanas. They balanced all four wheels, and not that only two front wheels nonsense that some places were saying that they do. I guess I got a further discount on the tyres than what I was told over the phone (original price was $835 per tyre, discounted price because I was buying four was $800 per tyre, final discounted price because, I guess, I am a nice person who paid cash was $775 per tyre).

Had to get the vehicle aligned somewhere else since Tyre Clinic does not perform alignment. Actually, I got it aligned at the place right next door (Merchant Tire Company). That cost me $150.

Tyres are just as quiet as the Continentals that I took off. I will see with time if the tyre noise increases.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 18th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Today I bought four Dunlop Grandtrek PT2 tyres (the tyres were manufactured in Japan).

Everything, including new valve stems, came up to $3,180 at Tyre Clinic in Chaguanas. They balanced all four wheels, and not that only two front wheels nonsense that some places were saying that they do. I guess I got a further discount on the tyres than what I was told over the phone (original price was $835 per tyre, discounted price because I was buying four was $800 per tyre, final discounted price because, I guess, I am a nice person who paid cash was $775 per tyre).

Had to get the vehicle aligned somewhere else since Tyre Clinic does not perform alignment. Actually, I got it aligned at the place right next door (Merchant Tire Company). That cost me $150.

Tyres are just as quiet as the Continentals that I took off. I will see with time if the tyre noise increases.
Nice...

Can you post a pic of the tire?
Side profile and thread pattern

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 19th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Dunlops are nice when new, but get progressively noisier with age.

All things considered that's a pretty good price though!

1kingmed
Street 2NR

Postby 1kingmed » August 20th, 2018, 1:01 am

V

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 20th, 2018, 5:21 am

looking for 285/75/17 Goodyear or anything close to that brand...all over I only getting SAILUN and well some places don't have it...I have 4 literally new 245/75/17 Goodyear for sale doh(white writing)

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 20th, 2018, 7:28 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Can you post a pic of the tire?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 20th, 2018, 7:34 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:looking for 285/75/17 Goodyear or anything close to that brand...all over I only getting SAILUN and well some places don't have it...I have 4 literally new 245/75/17 Goodyear for sale doh(white writing)
That sounding like u need to visit mileage mack or something..
Thats an almost 34" tire, so your picking will be kinda slim locally.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 20th, 2018, 7:34 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Can you post a pic of the tire?

Thanks, looks good

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 20th, 2018, 8:08 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:looking for 285/75/17 Goodyear or anything close to that brand...all over I only getting SAILUN and well some places don't have it...I have 4 literally new 245/75/17 Goodyear for sale doh(white writing)
That sounding like u need to visit mileage mack or something..
Thats an almost 34" tire, so your picking will be kinda slim locally.

Would check them this week

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”