Gas Question

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rodn3y
Sweet on this forum

Gas Question

Postby Rodn3y » May 17th, 2011, 8:39 am

Good day tuners,

i have read a lot of super vs premium threads on tuner but i'm still unsure on what to do.

i have an SUV (chevy) and the manual says for trinidad use 91 ron. i read that the super we get is not actually 92 ron.

i want to get your opinion on whether or not to use the super or premium. i fill the tank twice a week from 1/4. van work fine with super so far, engine a bit noisy but i dont know if its the gas as i never used premium.

i use $120 from 1/4 super
or $177 from 1/4 premium

so super with octane booster or premium or just super?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Gas Question

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 17th, 2011, 8:54 am

If the manual says 91 RON, you'd be fine using local super. Octane boosters wont even be necessary.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » May 17th, 2011, 8:57 am

Consistently run super for two weeks. Once you have no issues with pinging aka knocking aka rattling, aka detonation aka marbles in a tin can, you will be fine with super.

Should you have pinging (or whatever alias you prefer to use) then you will need to use premium.
Given that your manual says 91 RON, its more than likely that super will allow for maximum ignition advance, hence maximum fuel economy and performance.

Rodn3y
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rodn3y » May 17th, 2011, 1:56 pm

i wonder why, the company insists that you use premium. one owner even told me that the company told her they will not service her van if she uses super....

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

i read that the super we get is not actually 92 ron.

Who said that? And what proof / tests / experiments did they carry out to prove that it is NOT 92 as stated?
Last edited by Alpha_2nr on May 18th, 2011, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » May 18th, 2011, 12:09 am

^ NP.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 18th, 2011, 10:34 am

As a related issue..

I have friends with tiidas, one says hers runs horribly on super, other says his runs fine on it...

I was thinking right, if you have patience and time, you can probably fill half and half premium and super and therefore come up with an average octane that would be enough to satisfy the engine but not destroy your pocket..

Say the car takes about 60l of gas right, the cost of super vs premium is roughly 240 vs 162.
$78 difference per fill up.. So, if you did a half and half mix and it satisfied your engine, you could technically save roughly $40 per fill up... If you are like me and fill every week thats a nice savings per month..
Only drawback being you have to start and then stop the transaction.. This will work MUCH better in the older gas stations where you have someone pump for you, they will just add the two

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 18th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Mixing super and premium is not a good idea, and you won't actually come to a median figure. If the recommended is 92 ron use the super and as bigz said, listen for knocking, it would be most apparent on hills and under heavy loads (accelerating). The issue with super is the dye that fouls the intake system, once you maintain the vehicle properly it shouldn't be a problem.

Jon Gill
Street 2NR

Postby Jon Gill » May 19th, 2011, 3:26 pm

CD4Accord wrote:As a related issue..

I have friends with tiidas, one says hers runs horribly on super, other says his runs fine on it...

I was thinking right, if you have patience and time, you can probably fill half and half premium and super and therefore come up with an average octane that would be enough to satisfy the engine but not destroy your pocket..

Say the car takes about 60l of gas right, the cost of super vs premium is roughly 240 vs 162.
$78 difference per fill up.. So, if you did a half and half mix and it satisfied your engine, you could technically save roughly $40 per fill up... If you are like me and fill every week thats a nice savings per month..
Only drawback being you have to start and then stop the transaction.. This will work MUCH better in the older gas stations where you have someone pump for you, they will just add the two

I read one has a 1.6 and the other has 1.5. I think the smaller engine can run on 91.the 1.6 uses 95

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”