Forums

B16A ECT sensor problem.. please help

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

s_dabypersad
Ricer

B16A ECT sensor problem.. please help

Postby s_dabypersad » March 13th, 2005, 8:04 pm

Hi All, I have a 94 Sir Civic with the B16A engine. I didn't swap the engine, but took it down to change the tranny. When we hook it back up and plug in the engine coolant temperature sensor, the car loses half the power. We changed the sensor several times and am sure the sensor is a working one, a electrician also checked over the wiring several times from a manual, but for some reason once the ECT is plugged in the car loses half the power, without it the car cold starts and the gears in the tranny don't seem to change until the car heats up.. Somebody please help me..

Rx
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Rx » March 13th, 2005, 9:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

s_dabypersad
Ricer

Postby s_dabypersad » March 13th, 2005, 10:34 pm

Strange problem huh buddy... since Friday i tryin to get this thing fixed.. the mechanic, electrician and myself are totally baffled.. everything correct and working.. the car just losing a great deal of power when u plug the sensor up..

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » March 13th, 2005, 10:40 pm

hmm... OK, I am no B-series expert, but first thing to check is to make sure there are no other sensors closeby using the same plug, that you may have crossed. THis is a common thing on D-series, with the IACV and IAT I think the other one is.

Of course this may not be the case on the B-series but I am not familiar with them. If everything was working good before the work, then something was damaged or not put back right. Did you change with a good known sensor? Test resistance of sensor, compare to specs.

Then check wiring for continuity to ground? Short between wires (to each other)? Open circuit?

THis is not a mystery, you just need to troubleshoot systematically. If your electrician is baffled, then you should be questioning his qualifications.

s_dabypersad
Ricer

Postby s_dabypersad » March 13th, 2005, 11:57 pm

Yo Inshan.. lol fuh real.. i real sceptical bout who does work on my car eh. fuh real.. We did replace the sensor with a known good sensor from his car.. he has the same car, but the SOHC, i have the DOHC, but it is the same sensor.. many people confirmed.. even autonation. Oh yeah then CEL remains on witht the sensor unplugged pressure.. it used to come on and come back off b4 the work. I know the sensor good for sure and the wiring.. well the guy had his manual and rechecked over and over. I believe he checked the wires.. the open circuit thing.. I not sure about that.. i'll ask him to check that.. He is sayin it might be the computer.. he wants to take it out and put in another one tomorrow and test it.. pressure.. i gettin worried about this..

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » March 14th, 2005, 1:20 pm

Well, the only time I would go changing out the ECM is when I have exhausted all other possibilities. So if you are confident that everything else is proven GOOD, then yes, the next step would be to do an ECM swap. However, the ECM swap should not be done at your expense if he is JUST CHECKING.

BTW, one of the most common causes of electrical related problems after having work done, is that a ground strap was not put back on properly, or left out altogether. But I am sure they probably already checked for that. Adding a ground is always helpful as well.

You say you got a CEL. Did you pull codes?

s_dabypersad
Ricer

Postby s_dabypersad » March 20th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Damn damn damn more friggin frustration.. well i put in a new ecu.. and it didn't solve the problem.. the sensor itself is good for sure.. the car worked b4 the engine came down.. Now i guess it has to be the wiring.. i fed up go by that electrician.. i'm gonna try someone esle.. Autonation recommended a guy named Eddy.. BTW.. any one know the schematic for the electricals.. for example.. what colour wires for the vtech sensor and what colour wires for the ECT sensor ?? i was real fiddling around today but came up empty handed once again..

s_dabypersad
Ricer

Postby s_dabypersad » May 20th, 2005, 9:34 pm

the car timing changes when that sensor is plugged in.. !!!! to when it is not plugged in... the timing had to be re-adjusted... it was readin 5 when it was plugged in... got it up to 15... car works good now.. !!!!! sweetttt... huh whewwwwww

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 21st, 2005, 6:45 am

i am curious as to how did the timing of the car changed if you only changed the tranny amd the car was working good before..................somthing is not adding up here
was your distributor taken out??
was it replaced??

it not making sense to me

s_dabypersad
Ricer

Postby s_dabypersad » May 21st, 2005, 2:50 pm

Well.. my cuz and they did not hook up the wiring for the sensor.. they didnt know the schematic... so they adjusted the timing to suite... ie with the sensor unplugged.. The tranny change, but they took down the whole engine and everything.. to do repairs, changes seals etc... it was leaking oil bad..

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”