Forums

electric fan???

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

electric fan???

Postby fafrumlosin » June 9th, 2005, 12:10 pm

ok i would like to replace the clutch fan on a RWD lancer an install 1 or 2 electric fans only problem is the intercooler in front hampers me putting one in front of the rad...any suggestions are welcome cost an where i can purchase would be helpful also

zodiaque
CARS Member

Postby zodiaque » June 9th, 2005, 12:18 pm

You may be able to put them behind the radiator, since the clutch fan would not be there anymore there may be some room for the new fans, the suck through kind found on the newer lancers for eg. Those might work.
Like you Trying to free up all HP possible. :D

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

Postby fafrumlosin » June 10th, 2005, 6:48 am

^^that too but i am also getting a cooling problem when i use the AC so i tryin teh kill two birds with one stone...meh AC man tell meh as it have no shroud the clutch fan eh makin sense so try us in a 626 diesel fan an ah should be good but i want to use 2 fans one on while the engine running an ah nex when the AC come on... or would one be enough??

zodiaque
CARS Member

Postby zodiaque » June 10th, 2005, 9:05 pm

Your Ac man have a point. But your idea with the two fans, where one comes on with the AC is a good idea, alot of cars have it operating that way. I know my clutch fan has a shroud, maybe yours missing, or it did not have one to start with?
I figure either one big electric, or two smaller ones, running with a thermostat should be safe enough. I guess it realy depends on how hot things getting with your engine as is, if you running fairly cool, the AC should not cause you to overheat, in theory anyways.

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 13th, 2005, 6:14 am

fafrumlosin wrote:...i am also getting a cooling problem when i use the AC... meh AC man tell meh as it have no shroud the clutch fan eh makin sense ... i want to use 2 fans one on while the engine running an ah nex when the AC come on... or would one be enough??

That may be your first problem. The rwd Lancer 1800 GSR comes standard with A/C and a shrouded clutch fan, with no cooling issues. I have one. Also check that thermostat is installed and working.

As far as I know, today's electric fans are supposed to be controlled by data from sensors like water-temp, A/C compressor etc.
All these signals are controlled by the engine's ECU. I don't think the rwd GSR ECU controls these signal inputs.

Your best bet is a "stand-alone" thermostatically controlled electric fan, like the older Kenlowe (UK.)
Maybe the newer (US) FAL units might work too. I don't know of any way for auto. control of newer electric-fans without using ECU.

BTW the first issue is to solve the over-heating problem.
Flush engine / Pull and clean radiator (or go bigger 3-core unit) / Change all hoses / Check thermostat (replace if necessary / do not remove) / Check clutch-fan hub etc. / ...then add a shroud.

My $0.01½¢ :D

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

Postby fafrumlosin » June 13th, 2005, 7:24 am

well there is actually a electrical thermo switch which can be taped an screwed into the rad an when it reaches a certain temp it closes allowing the fan to come on my old b12 had a switch like this...presently it doesnt over heat it just gets real hot with the AC, i ws thinking of trying teh get a shroud and put it back but that might be looking for a needle in a haystack

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 14th, 2005, 2:01 am

Standard shroud is primitive "tin circle" attached to radiator uprights and enclosing fan blade... no biggie.
Last edited by Sanctifier on June 18th, 2005, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

fastredminx
Street 2NR

Postby fastredminx » June 14th, 2005, 7:13 pm

lose the engine, go wit the electrics yuh would not regret it, fiaz's in marbella ha some nice SMALL & SLIM fans that could probaly fit in front of yuh condenser to come on with yuh A.C.
As for the rad he has one for bout $375 decent size. Or yuh could geh one in the bamboo.

nash
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nash » June 17th, 2005, 8:10 pm

Just take out the cluth fan.As for the electrics,you can get a powerful one and use it by itself.Look around for a denso fan or the like,very powerful stuff,as well as slim design.It would free up some good horses as well.
You would have to build a bracket to house it,if need be(Keep that in mind).
Have you checked to see if the fan could use some silicone ?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”