Forums

austin 1100 modified

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

krazykid24
Ricer

austin 1100 modified

Postby krazykid24 » August 1st, 2005, 7:51 pm

i have an austin 1100 (FWD) that's bare, no suspension and no engine. it's like a mini. i want to put a newer model engine in it and suspension but i dont have a clue as to what engine would work, furthermore, what suspension i could use on it.
if anyone can help me i'd appreciate it a lot. also, where can i get the parts you suggest to buy... thanks!!

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 2nd, 2005, 8:25 am

HOnda SOHC engine works if u rework the subframe and extend the front a bit.....there's lots of sites on the net dealing with Mini - honda conversions

Rover K series engine works as well

If u really wanna go wild, u can drop in a Hayabusa engine and get some really insane acceleration. But you'll need to install turrets to facilitate coil-overs othertwise you'd just burn out your front tyres

Does your Austin have the hydralastic suspension?????

krazykid24
Ricer

austin suspension

Postby krazykid24 » August 2nd, 2005, 12:25 pm

right now the car has no suspension. i just wanna get a newer model engine to put in without cutting up the car too much, and a suspension that i can probably work up as well.... march or something small or something that you guys know that i can get easily......

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 2nd, 2005, 2:28 pm

I guessin u have one of these???

krazykid24
Ricer

Austin

Postby krazykid24 » August 3rd, 2005, 6:35 pm

yeah man, that pic is that of the exact car... i need some help with it man....

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » August 4th, 2005, 10:04 am

same license plate too?

anyway, I think these cars have much mroe space in the front than the mini does so probably anything from a Starlet 1.3 turbo to a B15C5 will fit. I'm not sure what the subframe design on the 1100 is like but I don't think it'll be able to withstand the power by any of the newer engines so you may need to have a complete subframe constructed to fit the subframe mounting positions.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 4th, 2005, 11:48 am

honda d15 or 16 vtec would work fine in this

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » August 5th, 2005, 5:50 pm

WHatever you decide to do... if you go with a modern powerplant, prepare to do a lot of fabrication, and spend a lot of money. IF your budget is tight, then I would suggest you stick to an A-series powertrain or switch to a newer car that is easier to get parts and modify.

THat car should have the hydrolastic suspension... which, if it is missing, is going to be a challenge to find replacement displacers, which means you have even more fabrication to consider for suspension. I don't even know how you would begin to get the geometry right.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 5th, 2005, 7:59 pm

Inshan is correct..........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'd fabricate a new tubular subframe for the front, from scratch, and use an mechanicals from a car thats common, like a Civic or Sentra, so u could integrate hubs etc.....plenty work here...........rear end, I'd go for a torsion beam cuz its simple, or go with a basic 5 link the way its done on the caterham.........again, plenty maths here to get geometry right, plus need to reinforce chassis at suspension and subframe mounting points...........hope your pockets deep.....if so, Kamikaze would be a good person to commission to do the work

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » August 6th, 2005, 12:38 am

Inshan wrote:... prepare to do a lot of fabrication, and spend a lot of money. IF your budget is tight, then I would suggest you stick to an A-series powertrain or switch to a newer car that is easier to get parts and modify.

THat car should have the hydrolastic suspension... which, if it is missing, is going to be a challenge to find replacement displacers, which means you have even more fabrication to consider for suspension. I don't even know how you would begin to get the geometry right.

MG Man wrote:Inshan is correct..........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'd fabricate a new tubular subframe for the front... u could integrate hubs etc... plenty work here...........rear end... a torsion beam... or... a basic 5 link... again, plenty maths here to get geometry right, plus need to reinforce chassis at suspension and subframe mounting points...

IMHO Listen to the experts. Having a very raw shell is not a ticket to an easy car. It's an invitation for many very large headaches!
Why you think the original owner dumped it? Maybe no parts even then?...
What about now?... Hydrolastic suspension?... Fabricate front sub-frame?... Graft on modern front suspension?... DESIGN and FABRICATE NEW front suspension?...

BTW how about things like steering... Changing old, rusty, seized rear drum brakes... How bout rear suspension?... remember its hydrolastic... no bushings, eh!

No disrespect intended, but pay to wreck shell to the dump to keep yourself away from temptation. BTW I had to do that too. :D
This one sounds like a financial cesspit... and maybe an early funeral if you get that suspension (or steering) wrong.

My $0.01c :)

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^good sense prevails, I suppose, but assumin the shell is sound, it can be done, as Inshan said, if he has the money, and as I said, if he gets the right engineers..........I am assuming he has no suspension at all..........it is possible to graft modern mechanicals, but it will require extensive work.......for example, I have seen MGs with 300 bhp, and totally re-engineered suspension to cope, including modern electrical power steering, double wishbone / coilover front, and 5-link rear suspension.....but it was engineered properly

If krazykid has the financial resources, it could be done, and I still believe Kamikaze could execute it

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”