Forums

HID/LED , illegal?

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Re: HID/LED , illegal?

Postby THE SYNDICATE » October 10th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I have four relays in my b12. One relay for each beam of the two bulbs.

Who wants the job done can contact me. My very competent electrician can hook u up.

Gonna upgrade to night breakers very soon.

* every one have conflicting views on the use of HID.
IMO I agree with the licensing officer. Alexander changes the laws as he goes along.
ALL lights that were not outfitted from factory and are applied to a vehicle is 'unauthorized lights' and it's against the law.*

We maybe had outdated laws in the land but the law is the law and we have to grind it and abide by it.

My $0.02

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » October 10th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Where do i get these "night breakers" to purchase? What price am i looking at for a pair?

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » October 10th, 2015, 11:08 pm

How can that be law if it is not written in the law books? If the law is outdated then it is up to the powers that be to amend them.
The fines were amended; for example, driving on the PBR carried a fine of $200. That has since been amended and changed to $2000 I think.

Night breakers were not outfitted from the factory so those Osram Sylvania Nightbreaker bulbs would be an aftermarket application and therefore "unauthorized". Not so?

Be careful with those 100w bulbs. Standard 55w halogen bulbs themselves produce alot of heat. It would be even more with 100w bulbs.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » October 11th, 2015, 12:45 am

100w bulbs will melt your standard bulb socket and be a fire hazard

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » October 11th, 2015, 7:00 am

The night breakers still car the same
Yellow tinge as factory bulbs.
For an officer to know u are using 'that 'aftermarket bulb he would have to remove the bulb from the headlight to know the difference.
Because it is of the same 'yellow' tinge, it stands a better 'legal' chance over aftermarket HID anyway.

Since 2007 I have been using 100/130 watt bulbs with no problems. As said above the FACTORY plug needs to REPLACED with the CERAMIC type plug and it's a job good as done for years.

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » October 11th, 2015, 12:59 pm

An aftermarket HID kit of temperature 4300K especially has the yellow tinge just like halogen. That would also be "unauthorized lights" according to the police officer who gave the ticket to rottedv and the Licensing Officer he spoke to.

My point is, in some cases one will not be able to tell if it is HID or not. LED headlights bulbs and even some halogen bulbs can look like HID. So basically, the law is extremely inconsistent with regards to automotive lighting, and one should not be ticketed or fined of the law is not descriptive to point or state which type of light should be used and which type is unauthorized.

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

HID/LED , illegal?

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 1:39 pm

rottedv wrote:His exact words were and I quote " all HID lights are illegal except those that come from the factory in the vehicle. Doesn't matter heat range or colour of the HID. It is illegal once it was installed outside of the vehicle factory. For those that come from the factory with the HID installed the licensing authority will issue a letter authorizing the use of the HID lighting and must be kept in the vehicle".

If this is the case, using the same logic, then wouldn't same have to be applied to aftermarket parts like poly bushings, exhausts, body kits, those night breakers and such? Because these were not 'factory fitted' ... Let this sink in for a while.

These are modern times and the laws are in fact very much outdated. And I agree, how can one be fined for something that is NOT written law ( and there are NOT any amendments whatsoever )

I would say go to court for the ticket, because what the officer quoted there is nonsense ( and yes I'm aware the ticket can be amended and such). But there is nothing specific to HID/LED lighting in the MV&RT Act.

At present it is opinionated as it's at the discretion of the officer, same as tint.

The law is the law ... Yes !!! ... But if it isn't written, then it's only hear say and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Poly bushings and flare kits don't blind other drivers on the road...

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Pirate wrote:Poly bushings and flare kits don't blind other drivers on the road...

I was wrong for not being specific ... But point taken.

In my post, I was assuming that the proper retrofit was done to accommodate the HID system, since the title was regarding the legality of HID/LED.

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Once a proper retrofit is in place these should be no need for them to stop you as your lights will be properly focused on the road and will not attract the attention of the officials
:-D

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Pirate wrote:Once a proper retrofit is in place these should be no need for them to stop you as your lights will be properly focused on the road and will not attract the attention of the officials

Agreed.

But based on the L/O quote, if it wasn't fitted at the factory then it's illegal. That's why I mentioned the other stuff like the bushings etc.

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 2:59 pm

It's kinda like fog lights. Technically all foreign used vehicles that have them are illegal but unless you fit HIDs in them you have an almost zero chance of getting charged.

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Pirate wrote:It's kinda like fog lights. Technically all foreign used vehicles that have them are illegal but unless you fit HIDs in them you have an almost zero chance of getting charged.

I heard from a L/O that the foreign used vehicles are given the same permission slip for use of the fogs.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » October 11th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Never saw a foreign used vehicle with a permission letter for the fogs. Only new vehicles from the firm.

That new information for fu vehicles should me make public.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » October 11th, 2015, 4:17 pm

So if I put the 4300k HID bulbs I should be left alone? The 100w bulbs have made no difference and I believe they have started melting the fuse sockets.....Sigh...

dreadman
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby dreadman » October 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

in my opinion, if i am going hid's, i'll be goin 4300k so it'll be like the normal yellow halogen and l/o wouldnt know only if they checking under the hood.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » October 11th, 2015, 4:52 pm

dreadman wrote:in my opinion, if i am going hid's, i'll be goin 4300k so it'll be like the normal yellow halogen and l/o wouldnt know only if they checking under the hood.

Ditto!

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 4:57 pm

The issue should not be whether they are illegal or not.
It should not be used regardless of "colour temp" because they blind other drivers when not fitted on to a projector housing...
:idea::idea::idea:

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

HID/LED , illegal?

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Pirate wrote:It should not be used regardless of "colour temp" because they blind other drivers when not fitted on to a projector housing...

No matter how much this is stressed, it is always ignored

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » October 11th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Pirate wrote:The issue should not be whether they are illegal or not.
It should not be used regardless of "colour temp" because they blind other drivers when not fitted on to a projector housing...

You know there are factory non projector hid installations right...

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » October 11th, 2015, 7:17 pm

cinco wrote:
Pirate wrote:The issue should not be whether they are illegal or not.

You know there are factory non projector hid installations right...

Yes I do, however those are designed to work with the HID's as compared to HID's used in reflector housings not designed for them.

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Preach it brothah!!!

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » October 11th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Nissan Primera P11, Nissan Wingroad Y11, Subaru Forester, just to name a few, are cars that come with non-projector oem spec D2R bulbs. OEM HID. In light of this, I would not go as far to say that they should not be used regardless of "colour temp" because they blind other drivers when not fitted on to a projector housing. Why? Because they are reflector headlamps that are fitted and made to use HID. Those do not produce any excessive amount of glare. Even Halogen bulbs produce glare. This glare can be minimized by aiming the headlamp to the lowest point on the roads. It will not completely eliminate glare but it reduces it somewhat to a reasonable level.

For reflector non HID spec headlamps, there are HID kits with a glare shield fitted on the bulb. This again help with the reduction of glare. As I said before it will not completely eliminate glare. Once there is light being produced, there will be glare, even in projector headlamps. The projector application is just the best and safest means of containing light in an automotive headlamp setup. In an everyday reflector setup, there are D2 and D4 bulbs that are made specifically for reflector HID conversions/setups. Retrofit these two bulb models into your reflector setup and you are good to go. Research them for yourselves if you want further clarification.

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » October 11th, 2015, 10:38 pm

I was agreeing with Parvin about the OEM equipped reflector housings that can accommodate the HIDs.

Albezel21
Street 2NR

Postby Albezel21 » October 12th, 2015, 6:54 am

Is there a forum where we can present all our concerns to the governing body of these archaic laws and have them amended to meet today's industry standards? We can talk all we want here about what we think is fair and reasonable but at the end of the day, licensing officers and the police will operate based on what they think is the law and their own judgement. I will do some research to see what is international industry standard on this issue.

My personal view is that HIDs should not be used unless:
1. There is a projector housing installed, or
2. The Halogen housing is designed for HID installation

I had an ES8 Civic before and when i went searching for headlights to replace mine cuz it was faded beyond repair, I came across an OEM headlamp housing that had the OEM honda ballast unit built in to it on the underneath and there was no projector housing.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » October 13th, 2015, 12:26 pm

petition to be signed?

DannyBoi20
Ricer

Postby DannyBoi20 » October 13th, 2015, 1:26 pm

If I have a Navara and I buy the pathfinder headlights and install them onto my navara would it pass or no (pathfinder original projector headlight )? Just a thought that came to mind

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » October 14th, 2015, 10:42 am

Being guided by the Motor Vehicle & Road Traffic Act, it would 'pass'. Nowhere in the law says that changing/upgrading lamps are prohibited.

slick21ryan
Riding on 13's

Postby slick21ryan » October 27th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Unauthorized lights
"there shall not be affixed to the front of a motor
vehicle any lighted lamp other than the headlights
and side lights except with the approval in writing
of the Licensing Authority, nor to the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer any lighted lamp other
than the red light prescribed by these Regulations
except as permitted by paragraph (m)(iii) of
this regulation"

Headlights
"When a motor vehicle is in motion on a road at night, the
lamps at the front of the vehicle shall be
lighted, and the rays from the lamps shall
be of a type approved by the Licensing
Authority and, if the vehicle is capable of
proceeding at a speed greater than thirty
kilometres per hour, of such intensity as to
illuminate the road ahead for a distance of
at least ninety-five metres or such greater
distance as is sufficient to ensure the safety
of the vehicle and the persons carried on
the vehicle, and to indicate clearly the
presence of the vehicle to approaching
traffic"

Id lights
There shall also be
fitted lamps of such construction showing an
uncoloured light of such intensity as to clearly
illuminate the figures and numbers on the rear
identification plate.

So after alot of researching and asking relevant personnel(not trinituners) :

-unauthorized lights would be fog lights, bonnet lights etc... and HIDS are NOT considered unauthorized lights! HIDS blinding oncoming traffic is a reality but it does not make it illegal! So all this BS about retrofitting for legality is a myth! Alexander rightfully said it, the type of light/bulb is absolutely irrelevant, its the color that determines its legality!

-Based on the written law(not police opinion) u can actually be charged if your lights arent bright enough!

-LEDs are NOT illegal once its white/uncolored! again its the color of the bulb that makes the difference.

-And yes fogs are illegal unless you have the infamous letter and NO you cannot be charged for it if they are off!

So basically the law is not the problem but rather the uneducated officers that choose to be difficult and arrogant in their ignorance! MVRT Act is available to all FREE so do like me and have your copy in your vehicle to use when necessary! Knowing your rights doesnt make you a criminal!

P.S. dude with the ticket print out the LAW and take it to court and embarrass the sheit out of that officer! Hopefully the judge is more educated than him LOL

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » October 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm

ImageUploadedByTriniTuner1446067459.839935.jpg

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”