Forums

Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Postby *KRONIK* » October 28th, 2015, 3:43 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Don't concern yourself too much with oil, you just become paranoid after time. By the time the engine degrades from regular oil that everyone else using that Hilux would have 5 owners and be long gone you may not even be alive.

I had an EG8 Civic and I used recycled oil in it, never changed oil filters since it had an oil leak never even changed oil. And that car run for donkey years, the money I saved by buying recycled oil, taking discarded oil from gas stations etc in the long run I saved the price of 2 Engines and still the Engine was fine.

Except the car didn't start in the sun but that was not because of oil.

Rofl

Hoss....u really entertaining sometimes u know

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » October 28th, 2015, 3:56 pm

:ROFL:

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » October 28th, 2015, 3:56 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Don't concern yourself too much with oil, you just become paranoid after time. By the time the engine degrades from regular oil that everyone else using that Hilux would have 5 owners and be long gone you may not even be alive.

I had an EG8 Civic and I used recycled oil in it, never changed oil filters since it had an oil leak never even changed oil. And that car run for donkey years, the money I saved by buying recycled oil, taking discarded oil from gas stations etc in the long run I saved the price of 2 Engines and still the Engine was fine.

Rofl

150tt ?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » October 28th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Wtf did I just read

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Original material

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 28th, 2015, 8:04 pm

dan dan dan...

men online fraid to ask...
but yuh really that dotish in one lifetime?

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » October 28th, 2015, 8:23 pm

MG Man wrote:
Team Loco wrote:sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

doesn't the engine 'burn' the stuff in the DPF when you doing highway runs?
Even if we had ULSD at our pumps, many vehicles, esp euro-speced engines still have issues from carbon buildup in oilways and turbo oil lines....even in europe, the carbon gunk kills the turbo, and clogs oilways.....only real defence is regular oil changes

Agreed. Regulaer oil changes is the best defence. Forget all those oils that claim long life. Heard men changing oil at 20,000kms. And dont talk about those who use caterpillar oil. I meet them and they boast about how good it is. But i meet them to repair thier turbo

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » October 28th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Sunflower soya bean oil.... All natural.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 28th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Team Loco wrote: dont talk about those who use caterpillar oil. I meet them and they boast about how good it is. But i meet them to repair thier turbo

Rofl

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 28th, 2015, 9:32 pm

So it wukkin in a big excavator and can't wuk in a little hilux loco?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Tweety
Pro Drag

Postby Tweety » October 29th, 2015, 12:35 am

Diesel engines are valued for fuel efficiency and longevity. Extend the miles you can drive and years of service on your diesel engine with Royal Purple’s new Max-Tane fuel injector cleaner and stabilizer.

Max-Tane is for year-round use in all types of light, medium and heavy duty diesel engines, and is compatible with any type or grade of diesel fuel, including #1 diesel and #2 diesel, biodiesel and ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD).

Specifically formulated to solve problems that come with today’s new HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail) diesel injection systems, this premium fuel system cleaner prevents gelling, improves fuel economy, lubricates and cleans the fuel system.

Max-Tane is safe to use with all types of diesel exhaust emission systems equipment, including diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and catalytic converters. However, do not pour Max-Tane directly into Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

Duralec Super API CJ-4 / SN motor oil is a high performance synthetic engine oil made for those diesel engines requiring the use of an emissions compliant oil for the 2007 and 2010 emissions equipment such as: DPF’s, Catalytic Converters, EGR, and SCR injection with the ultra low sulfur diesel fuels found in North America and Europe. Duralec Super API CJ-4 / SN motor oil has proven to offer excellent performance to maximize component life, extend drain intervals and improve fuel performance. Made with high performance synthetic base stocks, Duralec Super CJ-4 / SN has excellent high temperature break down resistance and low temperature pumpability to minimize
cold induced startup wear. The stable additive package has good soot dispersancy to protect against oil thickening and abrasive wear, provides rust and corrosion protection and helps prevent varnish and sludge formation.

OEM RECOMMENDATIONS
Royal Purple Duralec Super API CJ-4 / SN should be
considered where the following OEM specifications are
recommended:
ACEA E5/ E7
Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081
Detroit Diesel DDC PowerGuard 93K218
Deutz DQC III-05
Mack EO-O Premium Plus
MB 228.3
Volvo VDS-4

Royal Purple Duralec Super API CJ-4 / SN can also
be used in older diesel engines, including off highway
engines still using the 500 ppm sulfur diesel fuels. The
product is also suitable for mixed fleets with diesel and
gasoline fueled vehicles.

PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGES
• Greater Wear Protection - Duralec Super’s advanced additive technologies form
a tough, tenacious film on all metal surfaces providing superior engine wear protection.
Greatly Extends Oil Drain Intervals - Duralec Super Motor Oil is extremely oxidation stable
and stands up to the heat that causes oils to thicken, form lacquer and varnish deposits, lose its lubricity and shorten the life of both the oil and the engine.
• Superior Corrosion Protection - Duralec Super’s advanced additive technologies
protects during normal and severe operation and acts as preservative oil during shut-down, which provides protection upon initial startup.
• Reduces Exhaust Emissions - Duralec Super Motor Oil provides a superior seal between
the piston ring and cylinder wall, which reduces blow-by, improves combustion efficiency and reduces harmful emissions.
• Keeps Engines Clean - Duralec Super Motor Oil’s natural solvency cleans
deposits left by old oils and keeps engines clean.
• API Warranty Compliant - Duralec Super’s SAE grade motor oils are API licensed.
They are compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils. Switching is easy. Drain old oil. Change the filter. Add Duralec Super Motor Oil. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended drain intervals during warranty.
• Will Not Harm Seals - Duralec Super Motor Oil has the same excellent seal compatibility as mineral engine oils.
• Environmentally Responsible - Duralec Super Motor Oil components are TSCA listed and meets EPA, RCRA and OSHA requirements. Duralec Super Motor Oil extends oil drain intervals, eliminates
premature oil changes, decreases the amount of oil purchased and disposed of and conserves energy.

Duralec Super API CJ-4 / SN motor oil meets or exceeds car manufacturer’s oil specifications and will not void
warranty. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended drain intervals during warranty.

Duralec Super comes in 5W40, 10W30 and 15W40.

The above is not my own words but says all that needs to be said, there are many options available in different brands as you can see so the choice is yours.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 29th, 2015, 1:10 am

*KRONIK* wrote:

Rofl

My dad used to have a Datsun 720 pickup, he used discarded oil in it, thats how I got the idea. Though I must admit every vehicle he ever had became a complete broken down pile of sheit. He sold a original engine he had from a TAK Datsun 720 pickup, he asked me to look around for a buyer.

I found someone up on my side, he bought the Engine from my dad for $400 complete with gearbox.

Guy came back 1 week later to tell me the Engine not good cause it was running on Cooking oil mix with motor oil.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 29th, 2015, 1:19 am

tr1ad wrote:
dan dan dan...

men online fraid to ask...
but yuh really that dotish in one lifetime?

Quite frankly, apart from the overheating issues with the Civic, the recycled and discarded oil worked just fine for many years, it was not just any discarded oil. I knew the guy at the service station and he would give me the discarded used oil from rich people vehicles, folks who does change their oil on time and sometimes sooner than needed.

That oil lasted me 5 months before the Engine started overheating. Which IMO was fine by me, sold the car and met the owner a few months ago and he says the car works fine besides the issue where it won't start in sun light, Got to hand it to Honda, great Engineering.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 29th, 2015, 7:20 am

Tweety wrote:
The above is not my own words but says all that needs to be said, there are many options available in different brands as you can see so the choice is yours.

this is why I respect you and not KendallTT
Mr Kendall out to beat his chest and regurgitate his employer's market spin
Any time you willing to say 'buy MINI cuz MINE ALONE is bess', you fail as a marketer

I'm really interested in the Max-Tane....how compatible is to use with the PSA 1.6 turbodiesel engine? (That's Peugeot's generic engine for them, Citroen, Ford, Volvo and MINI)...if you say it's safe on those pesky diesel pumps, rail and fickle Italian injectors, I'll give it a try

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 29th, 2015, 7:41 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Quite frankly, apart from the overheating issues with the Civic, the recycled and discarded oil worked just fine for many years, it was not just any discarded oil. I knew the guy at the service station and he would give me the discarded used oil from rich people vehicles, folks who does change their oil on time and sometimes sooner than needed.

That oil lasted me 5 months before the Engine started overheating. Which IMO was fine by me, sold the car and met the owner a few months ago and he says the car works fine besides the issue where it won't start in sun light, Got to hand it to Honda, great Engineering.

you really special yes

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » October 29th, 2015, 8:21 am

MG Man wrote:
Tweety wrote:

this is why I respect you and not KendallTT
Mr Kendall out to beat his chest and regurgitate his employer's market spin
Any time you willing to say 'buy MINI cuz MINE ALONE is bess', you fail as a marketer

I'm really interested in the Max-Tane....how compatible is to use with the PSA 1.6 turbodiesel engine? (That's Peugeot's generic engine for them, Citroen, Ford, Volvo and MINI)...if you say it's safe on those pesky diesel pumps, rail and fickle Italian injectors, I'll give it a try

X2 on the max-tane. Where can i buy locally?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 29th, 2015, 8:36 am

Where effectic does really jump out from.....

Swear he living in a coconut tree with a s.e.a. laptop and stealing wifi from the neighbour.....

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 29th, 2015, 10:19 am

would like to see him try that especially with another car

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » October 29th, 2015, 10:29 pm

MG Man wrote:
Val wrote:
MG Man wrote:
KENDALLTT wrote:. Try Kendall diesel engine oil – Super D3 15w 40. This is a fantastic oil with long life, high TBN (12.2), API –CI4 (Plus), and an advanced additive package to deal with high soot, wear, detergency etc.

a couple things...a fisherman never says his own fish rotten
Secondly, why would you recommend a 15W40? There's nothing new on the light diesel engine market that uses a 15W diesel multigrade....I wouldn't be surprised if that van requires a 5W30.....I'd place my bets on it being that or a 5W40 synthetic, but MOS DEF NOT a 15W40
You sure you qualified to speak on behalf of your employer's brand?

What's wrong with a 15W40 in our climate? Our ambient temperature doesn't change much and it is usually on the higher end of the temperature band anyway. The important thing is to follow your manufacturer's recommendation for your temperature band unless you really understand how oil viscosity changes and compares with straight viscosity oils at different operating temperatures. If I remember correctly, a 15W-40 acts like a straight 15 oil when cold, and a straight 40 oil at 100 Celsius. It doesn't mean that the absolute viscosity increases with temperature, it simply means that the oil behaves like it is a more viscous oil at higher temperatures, BUT, the viscosity still degrades. Basically a straight 15 oil at 100 Celsius will have a much lower viscosity than that of a 15W40, but it doesn't mean that the low temp viscosity isn't higher than the high temp viscosity. I don't remember it too well, but there are comparison graphs that give you the kinematic viscosity over temperature. I think also, the W doesn't mean Weight, it means Winter. So that is the viscosity the oil behaves like when it's a very cold temperature like in winter.

Some tribologist can correct me where I make errors up there.

Some of what he says is not 100% accurate I agree, but yes a higher TBN does positively impact on the oil's ability to handle acidic contaminants such as sulphurous acids. ULSD is actually 15ppm, and if you look at a Chevron guideline on setting TBN:

"Engine oil formulators have always matched the amount of TBN to the amount of sulfur in the fuel. Today Chevron manufactures engine oils with 70 TBN which are used in marine engines operating on 5% sulfur fuel. This is very high sulfur content, 50,000 parts per million. Diesel fuel in the US was approximately 2,500 to 3,000 ppm sulfur (the legal maximum for ASTM 2D fuel was 5000 ppm) until 1993, when EPA regulations required a reduction to a maximum limit of 500 ppm for on road use. Today all diesel fuel is limited to 15 ppm sulfur maximum (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, or ULSD)."

This obviously refers to the US and not here.

why would you want an oil that behaves like a 15W at cold start, in an engine designed for a 5W at cold start?
We are def not at the higher end...most mornings, our ambient air temp is below 28 deg celcius, so the 'hot climate' argument is moot

I don't disagree, all the man has to do is check his manual for the correct viscosity. No sense guessing what the right one should be.

But 28 Celsius is not cold. Cold is W in the oil viscosity rating, W means winter not weight. Winter is not 28 C.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 30th, 2015, 7:33 am

Val wrote:But 28 Celsius is not cold. Cold is W in the oil viscosity rating, W means winter not weight. Winter is not 28 C.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I never said W=weight
W does in fact mean 'winter', but there's more to it than that.
The 'winter' designation was used when multigrades were originally introduced decades ago, when people would swap out summer monogrades for winter monogrades....
Today however, the W is just a letter...it really has no relevance to weather.
In fact the 0, 5, 10, etch in a multigrade do not even refer to temperature. They are purely symbolic, because no consumer is interested in an oil that is x centuistokes at 40 degrees C and y centistokes at 100 degrees C, which is what the two numbers in a multigrade really represent....so yes, 'winter' is totally irrelevant. It's just an old description that has been kept for simplicity
So back to the point...you alluded to our climate being 'hot' and the 15W part of a multigrade is ok for us...this is completely incorrect on two counts: first off,we do not fall under the category of 'hot climate' as far as lubricants go, secondly, modern engines are engineered for a 0, 5 or 10W for starup....oilways and tolerances are designed for a thin film, which a 15W simply cannot deliver, and you can actually end up with increased wear, and fuel consumption
OP said he could not figure out the correct grade from the non-english owners manual, hence the speculation...but again, no light truck today will run a 15W40 in our conditions

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 30th, 2015, 8:11 am

Isuzu dmax. 15w40 from -15 to 45c ambient.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 30th, 2015, 8:59 am

cool
OP your manual should have something like this |I've seen it in Sungapoer nissan manuals where everything else was written in chicken scratches

TSSL
Riding on 13's

Postby TSSL » November 3rd, 2015, 10:52 am

Team Loco wrote:
MG Man wrote:
Team Loco wrote:sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

doesn't the engine 'burn' the stuff in the DPF when you doing highway runs?
Even if we had ULSD at our pumps, many vehicles, esp euro-speced engines still have issues from carbon buildup in oilways and turbo oil lines....even in europe, the carbon gunk kills the turbo, and clogs oilways.....only real defence is regular oil changes

Agreed. Regulaer oil changes is the best defence. Forget all those oils that claim long life. Heard men changing oil at 20,000kms. And dont talk about those who use caterpillar oil. I meet them and they boast about how good it is. But i meet them to repair thier turbo

ssaroop
Street 2NR

Postby ssaroop » November 4th, 2015, 5:58 am

Any comments on Liquid Moly?

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » November 4th, 2015, 6:50 am

Shaker imports that is bringing in these Hilux claims that the revo does not have dfp filter in it and Toyota had a 'surplus' of 1kd engines so the put it in

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » November 4th, 2015, 6:52 am

shaker.imports wrote:
1. Yes these options can be optioned out.
2. There is a surplus of engine available from the vigo model and Toyota has agreed to take this shipment as it kept the cost down for them to introduce the revo. The new engine has been a upgraded from the older model vehicle and soon Toyota will have no choice but to bring this vehicle at a higher price when the engines are finished. Hence the open day they said that the price is expected to raise soon.
3. These vehicles are exported worldwide and will not have any issues with the diesel because it has not been fitted with a dpf filter to filter the emissions of the unit for first world country. Proper use of maintenance filters and u should not have any issue.

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » November 4th, 2015, 8:22 am

use low ash oil for vehicles equipped with a dpf, use the viscosity specified.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 4th, 2015, 8:50 am

FullStop wrote:use low ash oil for vehicles equipped with a dpf, use the viscosity specified.

yup, that's why I wouldn't recommend a high tbn 15w40 as per Mr. KendallTT....the extra TBN is good but it comes at the price of sulphated ash, which is not a good thing for a DPF....best thing is a good synthetic and 5k oil changes

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » November 4th, 2015, 9:00 am

Does it even matter? These vehicles are generally owned for 3-5 years max and sold. Its the next sob who will suffer he original owner won't care. Then we get all the cool stories about how dem Toyota dem unreliable and d engine does mash up fass fass

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 4th, 2015, 9:08 am

this is the problem with trinis....if you beat your car for 3-5 and pass it on, when the brand gets a bad name, what happens to the resale on your next vehicle? (if you stick with the same brand)
but u right, technically you could run the cheapest oil on the market and do one change a year for three years and be good to go....I mean, nobody really makes a bad oil....but you still run the risk of clogging the DPF before your 3-5 is up, if you use the wrong oil

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”